Homecoming 2014: Feb 13-15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lone Wolf1

Re: Homecoming 2014: Feb 13-15

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Zip City wrote:^^^^^

Why is Barack Obama wearing a cowboy hat?

he emulates george bush

Clams

Post by Clams »

More 40 Watt art artImage
If you don't run you rust

Clams

Post by Clams »

Clams

Post by Clams »

St. Paul: I haven't seen a fat man move like that since Rerun on What's Happening.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Assholes to elbows in the ol' 40 Watt tonight. Crowd is rowdy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Peter Bucks guitar was a thing of beauty. An epiphone. Candy apple red twelve string hollow body. White pickguard and gold knobs. He made it jangle and sing. Badass.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!! Yeah, it took 3 nites, what can i say?

There was a band called the Drive By Truckers that made some hot shit albums and sung a lot of songs and played some terrific gigs. That band is gone. Now there are some other cats playing some of the same songs and some different ones under the same name. But this is a different band making its own mark in its own way. The new songs are sounding brand new virtually every night as the band continues to experiment and work out the arrangements and the curve is nothing but up - the performances get better and better. The old songs get new treatments from both the 2 new and newish players and from the 3 mainstays as well. It's different, it's exciting and it's new. And it's fucking great. And it's totally irrelevant whether it's as good, better or worse than what that other band(s) w/ the same name played.

St Paul and the Broken Bones: Short version: Fuck yeah! They were given a full hour and made the most of it. Longer version: I was thoroughly impressed and totally won over. These guys are the real deal.

Edited significantly to reduce the awful to the tolerable. Perhaps I'll try again when i get home.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Deleted.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Sadly another Heathens Homecoming has come to an end. It always feels like the day after Christmas. We'll be seeing DBT again in a month or so in Raleigh & Richmond but there's something special about the Homecoming 40 Watt shows.

We'll also remember 2014 as the year it took us 50 hours to drive 350 miles. But we more than got our money's worth even with having to eat the cost of tickets to Thurs show when we were snowed in.

Nothing much to say about the shows other than to say DBT never let's me down and these shows were no different. Can't wait until next year!!!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Setlist, mother truckers! I need a setlist!!!!!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I sure as hell didn't keep one. I'm guessing Sloan will have the show up in a few hours though.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

I think you guys had a good time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJc7vquQA4
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Jenn wrote:I think you guys had a good time.

LOVE IT !!!!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

When I decided to go to Homecoming this year, the last thought on my mind was that I'd end up getting to sing on a song with Peter Buck. Granted, it was only four words--more accurately, one word four times--but still. That was an awesome ending to an awesome weekend. DBT turned in three really great performances, and the openers were just fantastic, especially St. Paul and the Broken Bones, but they were all fantastic. The new material is some of their best. And everyone was so sweet this weekend. What more could you ask for?

Okay, I could ask for my flight home--which I made on time, and safely, thank you all for reminding me to be safe when I drove to Atlanta after the show--to not be delayed and keep me from getting home in time for choir and class. Had I only known, I would have stayed the last night.

Thanks to everyone. Even that one drunk guy who was a problem all weekend. He put his arm around me and yelled at the end, and it was all right.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

At ATL for flight home. Supposed to land @ 2:45, should get home around 3:30. Mrs clams already has me driving to girls basketball practice @ 3:45. Alright, back to reality!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jenn wrote:I think you guys had a good time.

How nice was it whenJenn came out with a big tray of hot chocolate for everyone waiting in line before the show. Such a nice touch. Talk about customer service.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I sure as hell didn't keep one. I'm guessing Sloan will have the show up in a few hours though.

I'd have it up faster if someone had posted a setlist ;)

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

So, for those not in Athens missing the closure of the Adventures of the Stranded Norwegian I finally got on a plane out of Newark friday afternoon and just in time to roll into Athens before showstart night 2. It was a near miss as I was on standby for an allready overbooked 50 seater but in a miraculous way made it on the plane. Just like GW said (The Force is strong with you man).

I feel with all the people who didnt make it.

As of the severly amputated stay in Athens I didnt get to chat with half the people I wanted to. I know I will see some of you at the Europe shows in May and hopefully we get the time to catch up then. The rest of you I hope to see again in future HC's. May they go on forever! Its a thing of beauty.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

Drive-By Truckers - 2014-02-15
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) Carl Perkins' Cadillac
02) Pauline Hawkins
03) First Air Of Autumn
04) The Part Of Him
05) Primer Coat
06) A World Of Hurt*
07) Shit Shots Count**
08) Steve McQueen
09) Hearing Jimmy Loud
10) Lookout Mountain
11) Where The Devil Don't Stay
12) Box Of Spiders
13) A Ghost To Most
14) Margo And Harold
15) Self Destructive Zones
16) I'm Eighteen
17) Zip City
18) Hell No, I Ain't Happy
19) E:) Made-Up English Oceans
20) Grand Canyon
21) Natural Light
22) Don't Be In Love Around Me
23) Shut Up And Get On The Plane
24) People Who Died***
25) Angels And Fuselage

* w/ Peter Buck - guitar
** also w/ The Broken Bones Horns
*** w/ Peter Buck - guitar, "Dirty" Paul McHugh - guitar, vocal
Jared Hasmuk - vocal

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Clams wrote:40 Watt art
Posted for dime and Smitty

i'm into that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I hear ya Clams. Got home around 5 and have already shoveled snow and walked the dog.

As always, a wonderful time. Thanks to all y'all for making it so.

Not sure why but I'm having trouble saying anything cogent and worthwhile about Saturday nite's show. It's not as if I didn't enjoy it, 'cause I most definitely did but if any of you saw my original post from last nite/early this morning, you know the words just aren't there. And thank you for not copying the words that were there to use as blackmail.

I think these upcoming shows are going to be barnburners because of how much the boys seem to be enjoying themselves and how much they seem to be enjoying working out the new songs. It's amazing how much they've changed already and I'm sure that will continue. Hope to see everyone at the rock show!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

NIGHT THREE:

EO - 9
SRO - 3
Unreleased - 3
TDS - 3
BTCD - 2
PD - 2
ABAAC - 1
DD - 1
GB - 1
TBTD - 0
GGB - 0
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

CooleyGirl wrote:What can I say? Homecoming is beyond special each year and this year is no exception. I'm incredibly sorry and sad for all of you who couldn't make it this year, my heart goes out to you.

MUEO is translating live really well. I feel like it should be in the next Quentin Tarantino movie. I've always been blown away at how Jay can play 2 instruments on one song, and now Cooley is switching from acoustic to electric in the middle of this song, talk about a band that can multi-task, wow!

We were at Matt Patton's first show with DBT in March of 2012. Since then, it has been wonderful watching him take the DBT songs and make them his own. It's thrilling to see him putting his mark on the new songs. It's also a joy to see he and Jay meeting in mid-stage and leaning into each other (when Jay's on guitar). It's so great to see them all looking like they are having so much fun up there.

Patterson is my homecoming MVP. He must be going 24/7 this week. I don't know how he does it. Homecoming is always insanely busy, but on top of that, he's been genuinely worried about all of the fans travel plans, entertaining guests from out of town (his sister was there last night at her first ever 40 Watt show), dealing with the loss of dear friends, having a video shoot on Wed night, and then playing 2 incredible rock shows. If that wasn't enough, there was a bit of a scuffle last night up front that my dear friend LB Rod was trying to contain, and despite 3 warnings from Rod, the drunk asshats wouldn't listen. In mid song, Patterson sees all this and points to the main culprit in the crowd and tells him to get the fuck out. I've always had the utmost respect for Patterson, but he's taken it to an entirely different level this week. I hope he can get some rest next week, it will be well deserved.

I could go on, but will save that for another day. Thanks to the band, crew, and all of the 3DD community for making this an amazing week.

Agreed. Two best shows I've seen. Just unbelievable.

One question though, this scuffle that took place and led to Patterson tossing somebody, this happened Friday night?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:Perhaps somebody out there can help me out:

There's a billboard on Broad street advertising a bank. There's a big picture of 2 typically cute kids w/ toothbrushes in their mouths. The complete text (other than the bank name) is as follows:

Home Equity Loans

For making mornings easier.

(and on the other side of the pic):
Building you a better routine.

WTF does that mean and what does any of that have to do w/ home equity loans?

Yes, these are the kinds of things I wonder about.

After you told me about his Friday afternoon I went and found the billboard and looked at it again before we left town this afternoon. I have no idea. Makes zero sense to me.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

It was great to meet the folks I did meet and talk to. My weekend was rather abbreviated. I could not get there for Thursday due to weather, and I had to work today, so it was a six hour drive Friday followed by a quick trip back home yesterday. The Truckers are, as others have pointed out, evolving. I cannot help but remember what Jason said in Secret to a Happy Ending. He said this was a band that could not work. Age differences and multiple song writers were cited. While no one can dispute the quality of the works Jason created as well as Shonna, the root of DBT, IMHO, has always been the "Dimmer Twins". This fact has been the foundation of the group. The loss of the pedal steel and an excellent lead guitarist in Neff has forced other members to step up their performance level. Not that Cooley and Patterson were not great musicians all along. It's just that they made room for Neff to display his talents. Now that they have more to do in the way of lead guitar work, and their personalities are more profound in their playing. Enter Jay Gonzalez. What a pleasant surprise! This was my first show since he took on the role of the third guitar. Southern rock bands have been dominated by the three guitar line up for decades. The sound is almost a trademark. It was refreshing for me to see Jay rip that Gibson and take a place he deserves to occupy; in front out from behind the keyboards where he was heard more than seen. It was also refreshing to see Patterson and Cooley keep the sound without a third guitar or a pedal playing along with them. EZB was compared to Charlie Watts in regards to his style of drumming. I agree completely. The stoic time keeper that maintains the rhythm despite the rather spontaneous playing of his band mates. He is a machine. And Patton is the perfect bass player, isn't he? How many musicians have some much fun playing a show? His chemistry has really fit in with the band, and they have to draw from his enthusiasm. I sure do. As for Cooley, if he has not been influenced by Keith Richards there is no Keith. I say this with the utmost respect. I am not saying he copies Keith. He just has that natural raw, spontaneous style that follows no rules and still has a killer sound played seemingly effortlessly. As for the lyrics, they have always read like the best prose. They have always told stories that you like to hear because the stories are real. Patterson's lead in to songs display his desire to convey the true meaning of the song. This is important to me because I find my favorite literature is accompanied by music. I think these guys are going to be putting on shows and cutting albums for a long time. Other members may come and maybe go in the future. The heart will remain intact, though. It's no wonder their following is so diverse. They transcend the geographical, cultural, and age boundaries found commonly with most music and bring together a wonderful collage of fans. I felt welcomed by everyone I met. I hope to see the ones I met and many more in the future. The Doctor's orders are good medicine: "Always go to the show." See you good people down the road at a Rock Show. Thanks again for the warm welcome to a "new guy".
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Perhaps somebody out there can help me out:

There's a billboard on Broad street advertising a bank. There's a big picture of 2 typically cute kids w/ toothbrushes in their mouths. The complete text (other than the bank name) is as follows:

Home Equity Loans

For making mornings easier.

(and on the other side of the pic):
Building you a better routine.

WTF does that mean and what does any of that have to do w/ home equity loans?

Yes, these are the kinds of things I wonder about.

After you told me about his Friday afternoon I went and found the billboard and looked at it again before we left town this afternoon. I have no idea. Makes zero sense to me.

Oh, good. At least it's not just me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Just got back to a hotel in Atlanta after seeing Will Johnson in a living room show. He's on his way now to Athens which is perfect symmetry, just one more beautiful soul on our travels serenading us home. Our fifth night of music has now concluded. The cherry on top of Homecoming. Happiness.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Clams wrote:How nice was it whenJenn came out with a big tray of hot chocolate for everyone waiting in line before the show. Such a nice touch. Talk about customer service.

Hot Chocolate for chilly survivors of the Sleet Survivors Tour 2014 brought to you by DBT!
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない