Homecoming 2014: Feb 13-15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

UncleFrank23

Re: Homecoming 2014: Feb 13-15

Post by UncleFrank23 »

So we are supposed to drive from here to Nashville this afternoon (about 6 Hour Dr.) and then from Nashville to Atlanta tomorrow (Thursday). We have no idea what to do. Wait and try to make the whole drive on Thursday (but not sure if I could take a late-night rock show after an 11 Hour Dr.). Drive halfway on Thursday, and the rest Friday, thus writing off the Thursday show. Or cancel the whole trip altogether. Nashville weather doesn't look exactly great right now, and then we'd be banking on Atlanta/Athens being clear by Thursday afternoon. This really sucks.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Be careful Slip and co. Remember it may not be the weather but the other drivers that could be the biggest threat to your safety. I say put Thursday out and aim for Friday.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Out - and not too happy about it. :x

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

UncleFrank23 wrote:So we are supposed to drive from here to Nashville this afternoon (about 6 Hour Dr.) and then from Nashville to Atlanta tomorrow (Thursday). We have no idea what to do. Wait and try to make the whole drive on Thursday (but not sure if I could take a late-night rock show after an 11 Hour Dr.). Drive halfway on Thursday, and the rest Friday, thus writing off the Thursday show. Or cancel the whole trip altogether. Nashville weather doesn't look exactly great right now, and then we'd be banking on Atlanta/Athens being clear by Thursday afternoon. This really sucks.

where you driving from? i would drive to nashville

Clams

Post by Clams »

UncleFrank23 wrote:So we are supposed to drive from here to Nashville this afternoon (about 6 Hour Dr.) and then from Nashville to Atlanta tomorrow (Thursday). We have no idea what to do. Wait and try to make the whole drive on Thursday (but not sure if I could take a late-night rock show after an 11 Hour Dr.). Drive halfway on Thursday, and the rest Friday, thus writing off the Thursday show. Or cancel the whole trip altogether. Nashville weather doesn't look exactly great right now, and then we'd be banking on Atlanta/Athens being clear by Thursday afternoon. This really sucks.

Skip the Thursday night show. There's just too much stress traveling on Thursday! I'm not thrilled about it but that's what I'm doing.... I'm officially confirmed on a Friday morning flight. So now I don't have to worry if my flight will be cancelled or how I'm going to get to the airport tomorrow - not to mention dealing with more weather in Atlanta and Athens, plus like I said earlier I can hunker down and ride out the storm with the family. Then when everything's cleared out on Friday morning, I'll make the trip. Two rocks shows is better than none. Unless they start canceling Friday flights too...
If you don't run you rust

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Were driving from central Illinois. So if we attempt to make it to Nashville, we should stay north and west of the storm. Then it just depends on how quick Atlanta/Athens melts on Thursday morning/afternoon. It is a little risky because stop and go traffic really takes a toll on me. Looks like it will be a gametime decision. I'm more worried about the Thursday whether in Athens. We can try to knock off 4 hours tonight and it still be good for the Thursday show assuming traffic/weather will be OK by Thursday afternoon.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

athens tomorrow shows high of 43 and 20% chance of rain

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I recognize a few of the folks in jonicont's pics but anyway we can get some names to the faces?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Just north of Charlotte & the first flurries hit the windshield. Still makin' good time.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Were driving from central Illinois. So if we attempt to make it to Nashville, we should stay north and west of the storm. Then it just depends on how quick Atlanta/Athens melts on Thursday morning/afternoon. It is a little risky because stop and go traffic really takes a toll on me. Looks like it will be a gametime decision. I'm more worried about the Thursday whether in Athens. We can try to knock off 4 hours tonight and it still be good for the Thursday show assuming traffic/weather will be OK by Thursday afternoon.

Weather on Thurs for ATL area calls for sun & temps in 40s by around noon/early afternoon. If I were you I'd head out to Nashville and see how things are on Thurs. You should be good to go, but even if not, Fri/Sat should be a slam dunk. I, too, am risking the roads clearing by Thurs, but even assuming I get to ATL more or less as scheduled, in my mind it's still wait and see re the driving for ATL - Athens. I have very clear memories of that other storm 3 yrs ago. I'd say that if you get to Nashville today you're better than 50/50 for Thurs and 100% for Fri/Sat and that seems worth the trip.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Howlinwolf wrote:Out - and not too happy about it. :x

Oh no! How will the wolf survive? How will WE survive, wolfless? And i feel doubly bad since it's your advice that I'm still hoping will get me there. Really bummed for you :(

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Just north of Charlotte & the first flurries hit the windshield. Still makin' good time.

Gee I hope you're in the passenger seat, slip.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Tomorrow will likely be a much less icy story, but if any of you folks are here early, here's something useful (thanks to the lovely Kelly DeFilippis):

http://flagpole.com/blogs/grub-notes/po ... at-do-i-do

Patterson says the shows will go on, so barring a total blackout and shutdown of the Watt, there will be rock to keep y'all warm. Come on! Just be careful. :)

-jenn
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Jenn wrote:Patterson says the shows will go on, so barring a total blackout and shutdown of the Watt

I was out of town for the Little Rock show when the power went out. (Dammit.) Possibly this is my chance to make up for it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

the Missus and I are wishing you all a safe journey to our RAWK Mecca...
Bummed we couldn't be there with you all.
Great to see our California delegation made it early and to Flicker on tuesday night.
Swear this is the last time we are missing out on this weekend...

Any chance of a stream this weekend?
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

I live right off I85 in Greenville...snow just turned to sleet. Hopeful everyone driving down today on it makes it safe...and hopeful, I'm still able to drive down tomorrow.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Still hoping to drive down from Richmond tomorrow, but hopes are diminishing and I'm not going to be crazy driving a rear-wheel drive convertible if 95 is as bad as they're still projecting... Looks like no problem for a Friday-Saturday run, though. All of you in place, enjoy your evening!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Jonicont wrote:Last night at Flickr

Boston Reb (Rich), JoshN (Josh)

LBRod (Rod) Tyler (yesterday was his 30th bday, what a way to celebrate)!

Athens Joe (Joe), Blusie (Kristen)

Jay Gonzalez, me, (Sarah), One Belt Loop (Sarah), Katie, not sure of 3DD name

Jay Gonzalez, me, (Sarah), One Belt Loop (Sarah), Katie, not sure of 3DD name
Dirty Paul, Jay, me

Matt Patton, Cole, Uncle Rickey (Luke)

Katie, Rod
Jeff & Beth, not sure of 3DD names
SC Redhead (Janette), me

Patterson & Jay from Bama (Jay Leavitt)
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Safe travels everyone.

Clams

Post by Clams »

CooleyGirl wrote:

Dirty Paul, Jay, me and Sarah's right boob

^^^^^^^ Corrected

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Greenville, S.C. Road is dicey but not ultra-treacherous. Saw 1 car down in the ditch. Proceeding with caution.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Greenville, S.C. Road is dicey but not ultra-treacherous. Saw 1 car down in the ditch. Proceeding with caution.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Awesome, thanks CG! Always cool put a face to a name after spending enough time on a message board.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

Clams wrote:
CooleyGirl wrote:

Dirty Paul, Jay, me and Shapely (her 3DD name--not sure of her real one)

^^^^^^^ Corrected

Fixed that for you.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

We made it 120 miles from Raleigh all the way to Salisbury, NC. Was hoping to make it to SC today but the weather and I 85 is BAD. Really bad. Who knows if we can make it Thursday? Snow is heavy and will be followed up with ice.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I thought you were a mollusk, not a pig.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Clams

Post by Clams »

one belt loop wrote:I thought you were a mollusk, not a pig.

:mrgreen:

John A Arkansawyer

Clams wrote:
one belt loop wrote:I thought you were a mollusk, not a pig.

:mrgreen:

What's the difference? Neither one is kosher.

In other news, a friend from Athens suggests that AthensGAWeather on Facebook is a good source for information about, well, Athens GA Weather.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Just crossed GA line & the road took a real shit. Much sleet & freezing rain. Too close to give up now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Just crossed GA line & the road took a real shit. Much sleet & freezing rain. Too close to give up now.

Either you're not doing very much driving or you're texting while driving in ice and snow. LOL

I am reminded about this skiing truism: It's always that one last, extra run at the end of the day after the rest of your group has packed it in that leads to disaster. Err on the conservative side please.