English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: New album?

Post by beantownbubba »

Kevidently wrote:the generally terrific music

Are you sure you're talking about the right album?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Kevidently wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:Nothing like trashing the new record before you hear it!

I've seen folks trash records just based on artwork alone without having heard a single note of the music.

I remember a time when the DBT's would be playing nearly an entire album in concert for months prior to it's release. While the tunes may not have resembled their studio counterparts it was still a good indication of what to expect.

So, you were on the Springsteen board when Workin' on a Dream came out. Four months before the album came out, people saw the artwork, proclaimed WOAD "shit," and then refused to let the generally terrific music dissuade them when it actually came out.

Not I. Never been much of a Springsteen fan. Difficult as it may be to do sometimes, I do my best to hold to the "don't judge a book by it's cover" perspective though.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I've seen folks trash records just based on artwork alone without having heard a single note of the music.

But unfortunately that artwork was a harbinger of what was to come.

What album cover are you referring to?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5617&start=90#p211566

And I hate to break it to you Kev, but those folks on the Springsteen board were right about Working on a Dream, too.

Hey, maybe you actually can predict how good a record will be by the cover...
If you don't run you rust

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Clams, you are wrong wrong wrong! The title track is pretty awful, but there is some just amazing stuff on there. It's Springsteen experimenting with 60s pop and 70s album rock and doing it well. I love that record.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kevidently wrote:Clams, you are wrong wrong wrong! The title track is pretty awful, but there is some just amazing stuff on there. It's Springsteen experimenting with 60s pop and 70s album rock and doing it well. I love that record.

Isn't that the one with queen of the supermarket and cowboy pete? :shock:

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Clams wrote:
Kevidently wrote:Clams, you are wrong wrong wrong! The title track is pretty awful, but there is some just amazing stuff on there. It's Springsteen experimenting with 60s pop and 70s album rock and doing it well. I love that record.

Isn't that the one with queen of the supermarket and cowboy pete? :shock:

Yes, and I happen to like them both. Not necessarily his top-notch stuff, but "Outlaw Pete" is hilarious and steeped in the myth-making he was interpreting on the Seeger Sessions, and "Queen" is a perfect Beach Boys type song that we haven't heard in forever. Corny? Sure. But fun!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Say it ain't so, Kev, say it ain't so :o :(

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Focus people, focus. New album, object of your obsession...ring any bells? Maybe we could start working on a star rating for the record before anyone's heard it? :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Re: DBT New Album Title: English Oceans?

Post by Smitty »

I'd merge this & the new album thread.

So far we got:
Pauline Hawkins
Grand Canyon
Shit Shots Count
Til He's Dead or Gone
When He's Gone
English Oceans

Any more? I think I heard Jimmy Page won't be on the proper record. B-side or bonus track or something.
Last edited by Smitty on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Well. Apparengly there is Punk... and Punk.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kevidently wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:Nothing like trashing the new record before you hear it!

I remember a time when the DBT's would be playing nearly an entire album in concert for months prior to it's release. While the tunes may not have resembled their studio counterparts it was still a good indication of what to expect.

So, you were on the Springsteen board when Workin' on a Dream came out. Four months before the album came out, people saw the artwork, proclaimed WOAD "shit," and then refused to let the generally terrific music dissuade them when it actually came out.

You HAVE listened to WOAD, right? Because it's about 76.9% shit.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Flea wrote:
Kevidently wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

You HAVE listened to WOAD, right? Because it's about 76.9% shit.

Looks like I'm late to the bashing party! :lol:
Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Re: New Record Discussion

Post by Cole Younger »

Ok I'll just ask. How have people already heard this record?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:Ok I'll just ask. How have people already heard this record?

Nobody has, at least not to my knowledge. But a bunch of the songs have been played live and there's lots of recordings over on Archive.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:

Nobody has, at least not to my knowledge. But a bunch of the songs have been played live and there's lots of recordings over on Archive.

10 4. Rev Matt just said that everybody he knew that had heard it was excited about it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Clams wrote:

10 4. Rev Matt just said that everybody he knew that had heard it was excited about it.

People like Jenn, etc. I'm guessing, though I'd wager half of this board will have a copy by New Year's Day
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty (or anybody), can you expand on your explanation of "shit shots count?" I understand that it has something to do w/ the game of pool but I still don't know what. I even proved my lack of searching skills because I tried looking it up and failed. Thanks.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:Smitty (or anybody), can you expand on your explanation of "shit shots count?" I understand that it has something to do w/ the game of pool but I still don't know what.

Not that I was ever a big pool player--my dad, now--but when I did play, a shit shot was one that went in by luck. If you aren't playing where you call your shots, then shit shots count.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Smitty (or anybody), can you expand on your explanation of "shit shots count?" I understand that it has something to do w/ the game of pool but I still don't know what.

Not that I was ever a big pool player--my dad, now--but when I did play, a shit shot was one that went in by luck. If you aren't playing where you call your shots, then shit shots count.

Yep, if you shoot a ball in and don't call the shot - down to exactly how it's going to go, how many rails it'll hit, what balls it plays off of, etc - it's a shit shot.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:

Yep, if you shoot a ball in and don't call the shot - down to exactly how it's going to go, how many rails it'll hit, what balls it plays off of, etc - it's a shit shot.

There are few things in this world quite so satisfying as calling a complicated shot you have absolutely no chance of making and then making it anyway.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:

Around here that's called "slop".

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

If shit shots didn't count, I would never have won a game of pool in my life. I only make shit shots.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:
Smitty wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Not that I was ever a big pool player--my dad, now--but when I did play, a shit shot was one that went in by luck. If you aren't playing where you call your shots, then shit shots count.

Around here that's called "slop".

Slop was always the preferred choice of words around here too. Used to hang out in a local pool room all the time when I was in high school, some of the most fun I ever had.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

While it's mainly called a "shit shot" around here, I've heard it called "slop", "bullshit" and even a racial epithet shot, depending on where you're at.
As far as regions where different games constitute different rules per calling shots, it has a lot to do with where the APA is the strongest which seems to be the Northeast. APA rules dictate that while playing eight-ball, no shot has to be called except for the 8. Since the APA is not as popular in the SE as it is the NE, mostly down here bar rules call for no called shots in 9 ball while they do in 8. I still believe despite "shit shots" counting, 9-ball is still a more skilled game than 8-ball; while you may have to call every shot in 8, you still have 7 balls to choose from (in the beginning); in 9, regardless if you luck a ball in, since you only have one ball to shoot in succession, english/shape/position plays a stronger role.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Around here, I've always heard "shit shots" referred to as "piss ins". Make of that what you will.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kevidently wrote:
Zip City wrote:There's nothing English about DBT

Well, except for "Girls Who Smoke."

"Birds With Fags"

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Around here, I've always heard "shit shots" referred to as "piss ins". Make of that what you will.

I've heard "shithouse luck." Don't have any idea what that means. My uncle from middle of nowhere Kentucky used the term "slop"
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Kevidently wrote:
Zip City wrote:There's nothing English about DBT

Well, except for "Girls Who Smoke."

"Birds With Fags"

No, that's what happens when I go to the park with breadcrumbs.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

1. Shit Shots Count
2. When He''s Gone
3. Primer Coat
4. Pauline Hawkins
5. Made Up English Oceans
6. The Part Of Him
7. Hearing Jimmy Loud
8. Til He's Dead Or Rises
9. Hanging On
10. Natural Light
11. When Walter Went Crazy
12. First Air Of Autumn
13. Grand Canyon
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.