English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

211poundsofpork

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
jmdaniel wrote:
I listened to Southeastern for almost two months straight, and bought tickets to see him at The Belmont here in Austin the minute they came out.

My copy of EO is somewhere in the stacks, I may or may not look for it someday, and blew off the Truckers show at Stubbs, at least partially because it was a "school night".

YMMV.

But that is why there is more than one artist out there. I listened to Southeast once, maybe twice. It was fine.

I've listened to English Oceans more than Southeastern. Nothing against that record or Isbell but I've always been more of a Truckers fan.

More of a Truckers fan too, but I really loved Southeastern. However, EO had been in rotation for me since a coupla weeks ago when I finally gave it a little rest (plus I don't want to spoil myself for the upcoming Lancaster show!). Not sure what new DBT has been in rotation for me the most, but I would have to say the EO and BTCD are up there.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

211poundsofpork wrote:More of a Truckers fan too, but I really loved Southeastern. However, EO had been in rotation for me since a coupla weeks ago when I finally gave it a little rest (plus I don't want to spoil myself for the upcoming Lancaster show!). Not sure what new DBT has been in rotation for me the most, but I would have to say the EO and BTCD are up there.

I never seem to tire of the first five (that's including Alabama Ass Whuppin').

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'll be damned if I know why I should bother comparing the two. Both are fine, fine records from completely different places and muses. I binged on both for long periods of time and I know every single word to every single song. I think that's all I have to say about that.

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Yeah, Southeastern and English Oceans is difficult for me to compare. I can say i preferred "Here We Rest" over "Southeastern" and "GoGo Boots" over "English Oceans". //The bitter, grumpy old man.
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Don't know if it's the albums or me and my time availability these days, but I approached both these by songs more than listening straight through. Favorite songs have moved about some over time, but not many skippers on either for me. I like EO better than GGB, but not yet sure about it's fit relative to TBTD, though I probably like it better overall (and I personally like the sound better dirty/grungy than bottled). Southeastern has better songs overall than Here We Rest, I suppose, or at least is more substantial, but I also like having fun, and there's more of that on Here We Rest. Then again, I probably still relate best to his 400 Unit record and it's pretty dark and depressing. So I'm just a bundle of confusions, which I suppose is how I like it. Overall, though I think it's about time for Jason to move on unless he wants every person on earth who has any interest to specifically see his Southeastern show, which seems pretty long in the tooth by now to me.

RMD

Post by RMD »

I find I have to be in the mood to listen to Southeastern, as great as it is. But EO I can put on anytime. I also feel EO is better than both TBTD and GGB.

Clams

Post by Clams »

RMD wrote:I find I have to be in the mood to listen to Southeastern, as great as it is. But EO I can put on anytime. I also feel EO is better than both TBTD and GGB.

I agree as to all of that. GGB and TBTD both have their moments but I think EO is much more consistent. It doesn't have any weak links.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I can't wait for a Track of the Week discussion of Primer Coat.

My daughter was born this past week, and I spent the time in the delivery room with my wife singing "Primer Coat". I couldn't get the "her mother and I through trembling lips" part out of my head!

I've been known to shed a tear or two at a DBT show, but this song is now so associated with my daughter's birth that I'll need to bring some tissues next time I hear it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:I can't wait for a Track of the Week discussion of Primer Coat.

My daughter was born this past week, and I spent the time in the delivery room with my wife singing "Primer Coat". I couldn't get the "her mother and I through trembling lips" part out of my head!

I've been known to shed a tear or two at a DBT show, but this song is now so associated with my daughter's birth that I'll need to bring some tissues next time I hear it.

Mazel Tov! :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Congrats on the baby girl! After raising 3 daughters my advice to you is: Cave Early, Cave Often.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I still listen to EO a few times a week. Love it.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Gaetzi wrote:I still listen to EO a few times a week. Love it.

x2
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Roscoe14

Post by Roscoe14 »

beantownbubba wrote:

Mazel Tov! :)

Primer Coat might be my favourite from English Oceans. Cooley is a brilliant writer. Especially love the last line "staring through his own tail-lights, and gathering speed." Been there, done that.

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

As usual I'm real REAL late to the party. Just bought both English Oceans and Southeastern in late June right before a family trip to of all places, England. I love them both about equally and they're getting even listening time. I will admit it's been hard to get Isbell's voice out of my head each time I roll over at night. Sitting on the Chesapeake Bay listening to EO and the sound of the waves rolling in is the perfect background accompaniment.
(I will say that Elephant hit me harder than any song in recent memory. Fucking pure gold. But this is an EO thread and I guess I ought to say that Hood and Cooley's work is just pure gold, too. I love these guys.)
See you in Richmond for Jason's show in August.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

For me, the test of an album is how it keeps surprising me. For example, I discovered Springsteen back in 1992 and stuff from Tunnel of Love and Nebraska are still sneaking up on me. Same with DBT, and English Oceans. When I first heard the album, I would always skip "Hanging On." I thought it was dull. Now it's one of my favorite songs, and it keeps resonating with me in strange ways. Day one, "Natural Light" was my favorite song. It still is. "Pauline Hawkins" was always a song I LIKED and it's become one I LOVE. As a whole, the album holds together very well. The only song I don't like is, "When Walter Went Crazy" - it feels very Go-Go Boots (NOT a bad thing; I like that album a lot, this just feels like it belongs there).

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Walter" is my favorite song off the album most days; other's it's "First Air of Autumn".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Smitty wrote:"Walter" is my favorite song off the album most days; other's it's "First Air of Autumn".

hell yea agreed!!

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Smitty wrote:"Walter" is my favorite song off the album most days; other's it's "First Air of Autumn".

This.

Or Pauline
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

When Walter Went Crazy is a bit too dark and somber for me...

Favorite Cooley tunes on the album: SSC, English Oceans

The Part of Him is my favorite Hood song. I just like the feel and groove it has going. Plus the banjo break
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Was thinking that, with the exception of the dark ending to the video, you could substitute Shit Shots Count for This Fucking Job and it would work pretty well.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

I think the best thing about EO is every song is quality but none are "breakout" tunes. At this point Hood/Cooley don't have to reach. It seems to me that DBT is incredibly comfortable with the current lineup and there isn't a skipper. EO's place in the list will be debated for years to come. Hope that made sense.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

pogo

Post by pogo »

I realize I’m late to this party, but wanted to chime in anyway.

I appreciate the confirmation of the presence of the noise on several of the tracks. Before reading this thread I contacted the band info dept. to see if they’d send me a new copy of the album. I thought I had a bad pressing, but the sound was on the replacement as well. Too bad, because I enjoy those songs, but they are simply unlistenable for me. I enjoyed reading the insight regarding the fact that some folks simply can’t hear that frequency. I am not among them (and given my age and history with loud rock and roll, I'm surprised). But, that brings me to my point…

I saw in one of the threads that someone had a cleaned-up version of the songs. Any chance someone could pm me a link where I could download them? I’d appreciate it. FLACs would be preferable, but if MP3s are all that exist, that's ok too.

Thanks in advance!

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

This isn't just a major album by a major band but something new. I'm with Christgau on this.

I've drunk the kool-aid so I'm not the most objective observer. But on an anecdotal level, EO speaks to my 26 year old daughters on a fundamental level and they are now proselytizing the greatness of DBT to their friends after seeing them 3 or 4 times with me, including last night. This gives me hope and pleasure. Anyway, IMHO English Oceans is a towering achievement and is clearly among the Truckers' best.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

True opinion?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Zip City wrote:True opinion?

I thought that went without saying! :lol:

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

English Ocean still sits comfortable in the Top 5 of the discography for me. I just can't figure out if it's higher than BTCD or not. So the 4 and 5 spots change between the two. With that said since having the album since Dec.. There isn't a track I skip ever.

I loved Go Go Boots and thought it wouldn't take its place on that list but the Shonna Tracks drag it down.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I have no idea where it ranks for me. The holy trinity is the holy trinity, then the rest are just piled up behind
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

BiloxiParish wrote:English Ocean still sits comfortable in the Top 5 of the discography for me. I just can't figure out if it's higher than BTCD or not. So the 4 and 5 spots change between the two. With that said since having the album since Dec.. There isn't a track I skip ever.

I loved Go Go Boots and thought it wouldn't take its place on that list but the Shonna Tracks drag it down.

I hear ya on whether or not it surpasses BTCD. That's exactly where I can't quite sort out my own pecking order for the top five. BTCD is one heck of a realization of a vision to me. Pretty dang impressive that they pulled something like that off with such flying colors. No more Jason so they wanted to prove something. Yet they still wanted to do some a little different.

EO saw them trying to just leave all the turmoil mod the past few years behind once and for all and just make lean,no frills record with a revitalized and stripped down line up. I think it was equally as great of a success. The only way that I feel BTCD edges EO is that I like the Patterson songs on it better overall. I need to listen to his songs on EO because it has been a little while. I might feel different about them now.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

They could of simply packed it up and went home fallowing the Isbell departure. I saw them in 06 when he was still in the band for the first time and was blown away.

But with BTCD they released this amazing collection of songs that spans everything that makes them unique, and it was an album I didn't expect them to put out. I was expecting a Blessing 2 sans Isbell and what we got was DBT changing gears and entering a new phase of their career where they would push the limits of their sound and expand on properties we never thought they wouldn't touch. I love the album and onky skip 3 songs on there when it's on rotation.

Both EO and BTCD are amazing records for Cooley and Patterson songwriting wise. With EO we still see Hood in that Heat Lightning mode which I love:

roland

Post by roland »

I'm sorry, but I just can't listen to this album due to the horrible background hiss/squeal in the Cooley tracks. Every time I try to play it, I get pissed off and turn it off. I cannot believe a band that is supposed to be where the Truckers are can let shit quality recording get past proofing. I hate this album, and despite some good songwriting, loss of shitty Shonna songs, and the addition of Matt, I cannot get past the completely terrible mastering. Hope they do better next time.