English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kevidently

English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Kevidently »

It's officially spring. Any news/rumors yet?

docturk

Re: New album?

Post by docturk »

Alabama Ass Whuppin' Re-release first.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Amen.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Okay, agreed. But still!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I thought I read an interview a while back that said it wouldn't be released until early 2014, but maybe I imagined that.

docturk

Post by docturk »

It'll be interesting to see if they go the "Record enough material for 2 albums" route like last time...I think there was both positive and negatives of that path..

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Alabama Ass Whuppin/Adams House Cat... Then hit us with a new album by Thanksgiving.. My favorite DBT record currently is BTCD but am really hoping for a more Punk sound from the new lineup..

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

Working on new album now and through the summer.

Release early part of 2014.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

docturk wrote:It'll be interesting to see if they go the "Record enough material for 2 albums" route like last time...I think there was both positive and negatives of that path..

I think it dang near killed them. Patterson talked a lot just before all the touring that the band was in the best place it had ever been as far everybody getting along etc.

Then they set about touring for two albums. And there are two folks no longer in the band.

I'm not saying it was THE reason for the problems with Shonna/Neff but it sure didn't help.

Then again, as far a I'm concerned everyhting worked out for the best. I like this line up better than any since Jason was in the band.

Can't wait to hear what the new record sounds like.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Cole Younger wrote:
docturk wrote:It'll be interesting to see if they go the "Record enough material for 2 albums" route like last time...I think there was both positive and negatives of that path..

I think it dang near killed them. Patterson talked a lot just before all the touring that the band was in the best place it had ever been as far everybody getting along etc.

Then they set about touring for two albums. And there are two folks no longer in the band.

I'm not saying it was THE reason for the problems with Shonna/Neff but it sure didn't help.

Then again, as far a I'm concerned everyhting worked out for the best. I like this line up better than any since Jason was in the band.

Can't wait to hear what the new record sounds like.

I claim no inside information, just my own feeling from what happened over the course of those two years. I think the turning point happened in late 2010 when everybody got sick over in Europe and the tour was cancelled midway through. The band was beat and needed a break but they knew within the next couple months there was another album release and another year of heavy touring. That was when I first heard about 2012 being a "hiatus". But they still had to get through 2011 which turned out to be a tough year. Patterson cut his hand and couldn't play guitar for a while.

The other thing that Patterson mentioned is how surprised the band was that Go Go Boots was better received by the fans than The Big To Do. They expected that TBTD would be the album everyone went crazy over and GGB would be sort of a bonus.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

What is everybody else looking for in the new album?

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

I think an album like Springsteen's "The River."

Mind you, I'm not saying that they have to put out a bajillion songs on one album, but stylistically speaking, a lot like that Boss album. You have a few rockers, (Cadillac Ranch, Two Hearts, etc.) A few dark songs (The River, Point Blank, etc.), and a few middle of the road, yet great, pop rock songs, (Hungry Heart, and The Ties That Bind.) I've heard rumors of a "punk" album, and I'd be okay with that. Would a re-recording of "Runaway Train" be too much to ask?

Obviously, lyrically, they're gonna do what the Truckers do. I don't want them doing Bruce lyrics, because, as I've found, there are Bruce imitators, and they can't hang, and come off as insincere. So, basically, as long as they stick to what they do best, then they're gonna be fine.

I'd really like to hear what Jay-Go brings to the table now, especially since he's more in the forefront now. Whether he writes a song or two, or just does the John Neff thing of adding nice color to whatever Hood and Cooley do...I'm curious. I'd like to see him write, because I think his solo album really is a great album, but if that doesn't happen, then I'm fine with that too.

Really looking forward to hearing Matt Patton on record too. At the Columbia, MO show this year, he and Easy-B seemed to lock in really well. I don't remember hearing Shonna lock in that well, and I mean no disrespect, but Matt and Brad were the engine room to that show.

But I digress. I'm looking forward to this album a lot. Probably more that I should. It's not healthy, you know. But nothing good ever is.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'd like to hear the return of some non-rock instrumentation, specifically the banjo, mandolin, fiddle, etc. Doesn't have to be a "country" album per se, but I like the extra layers those instruments provided on earlier albums
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

please please please please put Runaway Train on this album been waiting for this one and White Knuckle west Virginia for years now!!!!!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Whatever the muse brings them is okay with me. I am hoping for 40% or more Cooley songs.

I think Jay is a great arranger and he brings more to the table than just his keyboard parts.

I haven't heard if Matt Patton is playing bass or if Barbe is. I know Matt is working on the new Dexateens album and his day job is with the state of Mississippi. Matt brings a whole lot to the table.

Punk is a very broad term. However, I am wondering if they will attempt something along the lines of The Dexateens. I love their records and consider them The Feelies of the '00's. Patterson has always spoken highly of them as well as Centromatic. Both of those bands can be considered "punk" and a Dexateens/Centromatic influence on Drive By Truckers is very intriguing.

Another interesting idea to go along with the whole punk thing: Lee Bains iii playing lead guitar on a track or two.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tyler
Site Admin

DBT New Album Title: English Oceans?

Post by Tyler »

Patterson just said on the radio the new album will probably be called "English Oceans".
Last edited by Tyler on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beergut

Re: DBT New Album: English Oceans?

Post by beergut »

De Nord zee
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

linkous

Re: DBT New Album Title: English Oceans?

Post by linkous »

Utterly bizarre if true. Can't see any logic in that title whatsoever. And I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any such thing as an English ocean.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

linkous wrote:Utterly bizarre if true. Can't see any logic in that title whatsoever. And I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any such thing as an English ocean.

It's the title of a new Cooley song. I haven't listened to it closely enough yet, but I'm guessing there's a deeper meaning.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:
linkous wrote:Utterly bizarre if true. Can't see any logic in that title whatsoever. And I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any such thing as an English ocean.

It's the title of a new Cooley song. I haven't listened to it closely enough yet, but I'm guessing there's a deeper meaning.

Yes, and now we have months and months to ponder, analyze and get it totally wrong.

But hey, it's what we do.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's no worse than Go-Go Boots
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Can't recall for sure, but I believe the line in the song says "Made up English Oceans" or "Make Believe English Oceans"...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Yes, and now we have months and months to ponder, analyze and get it totally wrong.

But hey, it's what we do.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:It's no worse than Go-Go Boots

Well, go go boots do exist. And they're worn by the kinds of characters that populate the songs on the album.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I asked him last night. He said it is about heroin. :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Yeah not a great title but who cares? The last few titles haven't been as cool but again, who cares? As long as they keep turning in top notch songs. And I'm confident they will. English Oceans or 6 x 9 or whatever it ends up being called is the only song from the upcoming album that I've heard and it sounded cool.

Besides, Patterson seems to be having fun with the overanalyzation/knee jerk reactions by fans where this new one is concerned so maybe this is more of that.

They can call it Cornbread Patties for all I care.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Just so long as they don't call it Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I think they should call it 1,611 Trucker Fans Can't Be Wrong w/ a picture of the boys in gold lame leisure suits on the front cover.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Just so long as they don't call it Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance.

that would be confusing, yo. they could do the Bowie thing and recycle the cover from an iconic earlier album, put a white sticker on it and call it "The davy after that" or some shit.

Seriously, what the hell?
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Steve French wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Just so long as they don't call it Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance.

that would be confusing, yo. they could do the Bowie thing and recycle the cover from an iconic earlier album, put a white sticker on it and call it "The davy after that" or some shit.

Just my way of saying I don't think English Oceans is any more "bizarre" than some of their other album titles. I kind of like the sound of "Gnaw On the String" or whatever that song title was that surfaced awhile back when Patterson was posting photos from the studio.