English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jmdaniel

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by jmdaniel »

Cole Younger wrote:Kind of surprised you would like First Air of Autumn but hate Primer Coat. It's not like they are the same song but both are more subdued mid temo songs that are somewhat similar to me.

Truth be told, I originally had FAoA in the second group, but was having a hard time believing the new DBT album only had one good song on it, so moved it up. :shock:

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Props to Cole Younger for trying to understand the heresy :P

The only knock I could fathom someone having, is English Oceans sounding too commercialized, much like some criticized Southeastern. The songs are catchier, there's more "emotional" piano, and it's a generally happy (by DBT standards) album.

I will also say that although EO has a garage-band feeling, the songs sound older. There's no youthful angst like in Lookout Mountain or Zip City. This is a middle-age album, as others have said.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

jmdaniel wrote:Dreck
When Walter Went Crazy

I am not blasting you for your opinion, as Cole said, no one hears things exactly the same way.

But, damn. This song is pretty much classic Patterson to me.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

LastLawson wrote:The only knock I could fathom someone having, is English Oceans sounding too commercialized, much like some criticized Southeastern. The songs are catchier, there's more "emotional" piano, and it's a generally happy (by DBT standards) album.

I can remember folks being put off by "Feb 14" (the first single) from A Blessing and A Curse for the same reason. In that regard, the album was considered the Truckers first real bid for a stab at the big time and that wasn't just limited to the single or Jason's songs.

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

TW_2.0 wrote:
jmdaniel wrote:Dreck
When Walter Went Crazy

I am not blasting you for your opinion, as Cole said, no one hears things exactly the same way.

But, damn. This song is pretty much classic Patterson to me.

Yup. I mean, I'm not all that crazy about the new album as a whole but WWWC to me is up there with his best.
Long live differing opinions, though!
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

jmdaniel

Post by jmdaniel »

RoyHandcuff wrote:Yup. I mean, I'm not all that crazy about the new album as a whole but WWWC to me is up there with his best.
Long live differing opinions, though!

Exactly.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I stopped posting about English Oceans a little over two months ago. I was and still am having a difficult time being objective. Instead, I decided to wait until I lived with the album for a while and caught some shows before posting here again. Here are some thoughts.

First, this is an outstanding DBT album. I've been listening to this record for over four months now. The initial excitement has worn off and this one is a keeper. In my estimation, DBT's body of work can be divided up into two categories: first tier and second. English Oceans is a top tier record and stands alongside their other classics; Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day, The Dirty South and Brighter Than Creation's Dark.

Second, thematically this album deals largely with family life and acceptance of middle age. "First Air of Autumn" uses the metaphor of a first day in autumn at either school, church or maybe even a high school football game as that moment when it first hits you that it is no longer summer. You already are the person you will become and have been for a while. If you die today your obituary will not be much different than if you live another thirty years. This comes as a jolt, kind of like that first whiff of burning leaves or the smell of popcorn at a Friday evening football game. You realize summer is past, winter is on its way. It leaves you numb.

Part of my difficulty with this record is my own grief and other feelings surrounding Craig Lieske's death. No, I cannot say I knew him as well as the band, crew or even other members of 3DD. But Craig and Melinda were guests at my house as I was a guest at theirs. He had a tremendous gift of friendship. Where most people can only manage a couple dozen active friendships at best, Craig could handle several hundred. I saw in him some of the same gifts I recognized in many of my clergy colleagues. If his family had never moved to Athens during his senior year of high school which allowed Craig to fall in love with the scene as it was in those days, (REM a year away from recording Murmer) I could easily see him having become a successful and beloved pastor of a Lutheran Church someplace in the midwest. He was one of those people who I advise to stay away from church because it is very likely that they will get the calling. As I got to know him, I saw that in many ways he filled a pastoral role among the musicians and others in the Athens scene. People sought him out as a friendly, sympathetic voice whom they could trust not to turn their confidences into gossip. Despite spending time with Craig, he never revealed much about the inner workings of Drive By Truckers. When he did speak about the band it was mostly about each member's musical tastes, especially when passing on a recommendation for a cd. ("Check out the new Bill Fay album, Patterson loves it.") In many ways, Craig was the band's chaplain, ministering to band, crew members and fans at each stop who might need somebody to talk to. It is hard to listen to the record all the way through, look at Wes Freed's painting of the white owl with Craig's features and not feel a sense of loss. The band and crew members obviously feel this loss more profoundly than I ever will and it has found its way into some of the lyrics.

Third, I think that for Patterson Hood Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance represented the end of one phase of his life (understanding and acceptance of who he is as a person and the cost and benefits of his an artistic vocation where he has found success.) English Oceans is the first record made during a new chapter. In many ways, Patterson Hood writes songs as a way of processing what he is experiencing emotionally. Many of his new songs deal with the difficulty of mature relationships which, unlike those portrayed in his earliest songs, are not dysfunctionally turbulent. He may not have come to any conclusions but many of these songs seem to be coming to terms with the fact that men, as we age, have far different emotional needs than we did when we were in our thirties and were establishing both our families and careers. Cooley also seems to be in a similar place. "Why Henry Drinks" has become "Why Henry Sits Quietly in Darkness By The Swimming Pool." It is existential angst minus the drama.

There are not a whole lot of rock albums about what it is like to be a man at fifty who, after decades of not seeing his own mortality, is suddenly struck by it. English Oceans is a prescient look at this stage of life. The songs are not necessarily an emotional gut punch, just the gradual awareness that you are no longer the same person you were ten years ago when you were making a name for yourself. At their best, Drive By Truckers shine a light on our own paths so we can better understand what we are experiencing. English Oceans is no different.
Last edited by RevMatt on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beergut

Post by beergut »

Awesome and spot on perspective RevMatt.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beergut wrote:Awesome and spot on perspective RevMatt.

x2. Well done, rev.
If you don't run you rust

jck747

Post by jck747 »

Nicely said. Time and mortality, perhaps due to Craig or just the reality of getting older, seem to me to be big theme on the record. Write about what you know. First Air of Autumn, Primer Coat, Grand Canyon. The realization and perhaps acceptance that things are finite and that time doesn't wait for anyone, no matter how much we wish that it would and beseech the powers that be to just make one little exception, or at least mitigate the effects and spare us the most severe indignities.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

So is this a x4? Can't remember the last thing Rev. Matt wrote that I disagreed with... maybe his fashion suggestions for DBT.

FAOA & GC are on my Top 10 Cooley & Hood lists. Best back-to-back closer on any DBT album.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

RevMatt wrote:I"Why Henry Drinks" has become "Why Henry Sits Quietly in Darkness By The Swimming Pool."

Damn, I wish I wrote that line. Spot on, Rev.

Oh, err, x5

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Thanks everyone. Missed y'all while I was gone but I needed some time away from the board.

While none of these songs have the immediate gut punch of Isbell's "Elephant" they sort of sneak up on you and before you know it you are surrounded. "Pauline Hawkins", "When He's Gone" and "Hanging On" are that way. For me they raise this question: Are the lives we build when we are establishing ourselves in our thirties capable of meeting our emotional needs and sustaining us once we're beyond a certain age? The new songs didn't knock me to the floor like "Elephant" but for the past months they've raised some unsettling questions. Patterson Hood never pretends to offer any answers to questions each of us must answer on our own. But he is both a companion on the same journey and capable of shining some light so we can better identify those obstacles. I hope these guys keep recording forever. I can grow old with this music.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Nicely said, Rev.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Looking forward to their nursing home album :mrgreen:

GTO

Post by GTO »

I'm not the wordslinger some of the people around here are, but there's one thing I know for sure about this new album. I have never in 35 years of listening to music played a record over and over again like I have this one. I didn't fall in love immediately; at first I wasn't sure if I loved it or just liked it. But after a couple of weeks I found myself listening to EO exclusively. I'm still not ready to listen to anything else just yet. That's happened with other records for maybe a week tops. But after a month I still can't stop listening to this one and that's a never happened.
Baby was a blacksheep
Baby was a whore

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Really nice post,Rev,well said.I knew there was more to this record that would come to me with time.Your words bring a lot of it to light.The timing is a little spooky as I just turned 54, I'm having some of those turning the page thoughts....
10x :D
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Clams

Post by Clams »

porkulator wrote:Really nice post,Rev,well said.I knew there was more to this record that would come to me with time.Your words bring a lot of it to light.The timing is a little spooky as I just turned 54, I'm having some of those turning the page thoughts....

Yeah I'm going on 48 with 14 and 12 year old kids. Primer Coat has really got me to thinking about stuff. Not to mention, I graduated high school in '84 just like the guy in the song.
If you don't run you rust

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I find this album to have far less obviousness in the lyrics of any other DBT music. That's fine with me, I am more of a sound person, though lyrics were my first draw to DBT. Not sure of the rational for the sprinkled negativity here and there. I love the whole sound of this album. Not yet ready to focus on the words, but unlike many here, I have only listened to it about 10 times.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

jmdaniel wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Kind of surprised you would like First Air of Autumn but hate Primer Coat. It's not like they are the same song but both are more subdued mid temo songs that are somewhat similar to me.

Truth be told, I originally had FAoA in the second group, but was having a hard time believing the new DBT album only had one good song on it, so moved it up. :shock:

Have whatever opinion strikes you, but I'd suggest giving the album at least a dozen good spins, maybe more, before you settle on any opinions, even ones you've already posted here. They're initial impressions, that's all they can be. This music isn't as accessible maybe as some earlier DBT music, especially with intros and instrumental sections and codas, but it has snuck up on me and several others. First few times through, I could only find a couple songs I even made it all the way through without getting a little impatient (and couldn't make it through when he's gone or first air of autumn at all, and I thought Jimmy was really tortured for melody and time signatures). But song by song, nearly all have own me over and although continuing to move away from classic DBT territory, there's a maturity and self-acceptance in these songs that really shines right now for me.

As you say, your mileage may vary - go go boots never entirely won me over and I find I rarely listen to TBTD at this point in time, though not by choice, just kind of this point in time. Different strokes and all.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Clams wrote:
porkulator wrote:Really nice post,Rev,well said.I knew there was more to this record that would come to me with time.Your words bring a lot of it to light.The timing is a little spooky as I just turned 54, I'm having some of those turning the page thoughts....

Yeah I'm going on 48 with 14 and 12 year old kids. Primer Coat has really got me to thinking about stuff. Not to mention, I graduated high school in '84 just like the guy in the song.

Bless your heart.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Have you noticed that the clave parts for the Beatles' "And I Love Her" and "Made Up English Oceans" are in large part identical? This makes me wonder why Ringo didn't get a songwriting credit/royalties. Anyone have David Lowery's phone number?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Couldn't find the "DBT on TV" thread, so here goes:

We have a local TV program called "PromoWest Live" that airs at 1am on Sunday mornings (right after Saturday Night Live). They show live clips from the five PromoWest venues in Columbus/Pittsburgh.

Tonight they're showing a song by DBT from their last show at the Newport.

I'm going to DVR it, but I don't think there's a way to post it. The show is only aired here in Columbus (and maybe Pittsburgh).

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Found their archive site for past episodes:

http://promowestlive.tv/

So in the next couple of days, it should be up there. Tonight's show features DBT and Tedeschi Trucks Band
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

cool thanks for posting!!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Zip City wrote:Couldn't find the "DBT on TV" thread, so here goes:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=846
Always go to the show

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Tabbed versions of these songs are on the tabs subforum. Only ones missing are Part of Him, Hearing Jimmy Loud, Til He's Dead, and Grand Canyon.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jonicont wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=846

thanks, searching for it on my phone was a pain
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/vie ... ?f=5&t=846

thanks, searching for it on my phone was a pain

I've got a friend that swears that using their iPhone is the superior way to browse the web. That's not been my experience.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Good find kudzu.

http://www.thecurrent.org/listen/minnes ... e_20140328

The interviewer seems to know his shit.

Kinda weird - Patterson just called Cooley Mike. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life