English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Markalanbishop

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Markalanbishop »

Maybe I'm wrong about comparing EO to various Stones' albums. Maybe I should be comparing it to Achtung Baby. Excerpts from an article I was reading recently:

Lanois was also the main producer on Achtung Baby, probably the biggest change of direction in U2's career so far. The Canadian guitarist, who also produced Peter Gabriel's So and Us, plus his own two solo albums, commented when I spoke to him last year: "When I started work on Achtung Baby, U2 were interested in creating a more hard-hitting, live-sounding record. I myself had also grown rather tired of polishing details on records and pursuing the kind of perfection that has become commonplace in much rock music today. So what I did was push the performance aspect very hard, often to the point of recklessness. I think that musical recklessness goes a long way on records. You don't hear enough of it." Lanois'...method of de-constructing the conventions of the recording process [have become] thoroughly integrated into the band's working methods. Lanois has become known for recording in houses, mansions or castles, and rolling in rented equipment to further the elusive feel and atmosphere factor. At the same time he likes to record in the impromptu 'control room', furthering communication and band confidence. This can obviously lead to problems with acoustics and seperation, but for Lanois a good performance will always take precedence over these traditional studio objectives. As he summarised it: "a good performance equals a good mix."

I think "musical recklessness" is an excellent way to describe a lot of what is happening on EO. And it turned out pretty fucking great.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't think it's really fair to compare the two, though for some, I guess it's inevitable and to those folks, maybe even necessary. For one, they're both two very different records. The potential convergence of themes aside, one is a singer/songwriter album and the other is a group effort.

Totally agree. It would be like comparing Peter Gabriel's "So" with Genesis' "Invisible Touch". Yeah, they used to be in a band together, but the two artists are on different career trajectories now, and are only going to grow further apart with each album
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't think it's really fair to compare the two, though for some, I guess it's inevitable and to those folks, maybe even necessary. For one, they're both two very different records. The potential convergence of themes aside, one is a singer/songwriter album and the other is a group effort.

Totally agree. It would be like comparing Peter Gabriel's "So" with Genesis' "Invisible Touch". Yeah, they used to be in a band together, but the two artists are on different career trajectories now, and are only going to grow further apart with each album

Well the Gabriel/Genesis comparison is easy, one was quite decent in a mainstream kind of way the other was crap but that's not why we're here :lol: .

Seriously I can't compare the two records because they're not even in the same ballpark in almost any sense you pick; Rock album vs. singer/songwriter record, later period resurgence/first great solo record not to mention that one is very loose, in the best possible way, and the other is tight and polished, also in the best possible way. Any comparisons would ring hollow and smack of superficial storyline creation. No thank you.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Seriously I can't compare the two records because they're not even in the same ballpark in almost any sense you pick; Rock album vs. singer/songwriter record, later period resurgence/first great solo record not to mention that one is very loose, in the best possible way, and the other is tight and polished, also in the best possible way. Any comparisons would ring hollow and smack of superficial storyline creation. No thank you.

Ummm, am I seeing things or did a comparison just go by? :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Seriously I can't compare the two records because they're not even in the same ballpark in almost any sense you pick; Rock album vs. singer/songwriter record, later period resurgence/first great solo record not to mention that one is very loose, in the best possible way, and the other is tight and polished, also in the best possible way. Any comparisons would ring hollow and smack of superficial storyline creation. No thank you.

Ummm, am I seeing things or did a comparison just go by? :lol:

Call it a comparison in a non-comparison kinda way because I'm a cool cat and I say so.

:mrgreen:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I can't compare the two beyond both being really good from artists that I like a lot.

While EO is a return to the sound and approach that I think is the best fit for the Truckers, Southeastern is a pretty big departure for Jason. I would love to see the Truckers stay on the path that they are on. But while I like Southeastern a lot I sort of hope this isn't where Jason is headed as far as a new sound. I would hate for him to not do anything that rocks again. It does seem like the quieter stuff is ore where he is now though.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

phungi

Post by phungi »

first post from a previous lurker, relative newbie...

by way of self-hazing, I read all 82 pages of this thread.

if that doesn't serve as a suitable initiation, please consider that I am a 10+ year friend of the one you call clams, who is beyond shocked that I finally started paying attention to DBT (not to suggest he hasn't funneled plenty my way).

all that said, EO grabbed me in a way other offerings didn't and not only has me hooked, but also pouring through their entire back-catalog.

one thing not yet stated is how much the vocal in When Walter Went Crazy evokes Vic Chestnutt, or perhaps it is just me.

anyway, looking forward to meeting many of you in Lancaster and State College, and glad I didn't miss this party all-together!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote: I am a 10+ year friend of the one you call clams,

Our sympathies.

And welcome.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

Our sympathies.

And welcome.

I think we know who you can blame those 82 pages on...

But yes, welcome.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:

Our sympathies.

And welcome.

Phungi is in the house. Worlds are colliding. Just don't poke fun at his wife.

I tried to light a DBT fire under him many times in the past 5 or 6 years - but it never took and so I gave up. Now all the sudden he stumbles on English oceans and he's instantly converted. That's crazy.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

phungi

Post by phungi »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I think we know who you can blame those 82 pages on...

But yes, welcome.

beantownbubba wrote:

Our sympathies.

And welcome.

Finally, a group who knows what it is like to never be on the winning side of an argument, despite always being on the winning side of an argument.

I feel welcome already!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Just don't poke fun at his wife.

Sage advice for all times, places and wives.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams has friends?
Always go to the show

phungi

Post by phungi »

Jonicont wrote:Clams has friends?

Well, it is high tide 2x a day...

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html

They're born meat and they die meat.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

That was an odd read.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Gaetzi wrote:That was an odd read.

Really? Read like ordinary everyday science fiction to me.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Perhaps it was just the context.. At work and checking in on the EO thread and all the sudden it's "You don't get it, it's all meat!"
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

phungi wrote:one thing not yet stated is how much the vocal in When Walter Went Crazy evokes Vic Chestnutt, or perhaps it is just me.

Damned if you ain't on the nose with that one.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

jmdaniel

Post by jmdaniel »

RevMatt wrote:Last year Isbell had a career defining album with Southeastern. The momentum from that album hasn't stopped as he sold out three shows next fall at The Ryman. This year DBT put out English Oceans. Eight weeks into its release, it has garnered great reviews and the consensus among the diehard fans -- many who have had the album since January -- seems to be that it is a top shelf Truckers album.

So, how would everyone here compare the two albums? I think Cooley has as many great songs on EO as Isbell has on SE. As a songwriter Patterson seems to be mining lots of the same territory -- marriage and the importance of relationships -- but his songs are pretty dark here.

I listened to Southeastern for almost two months straight, and bought tickets to see him at The Belmont here in Austin the minute they came out.

My copy of EO is somewhere in the stacks, I may or may not look for it someday, and blew off the Truckers show at Stubbs, at least partially because it was a "school night".

YMMV.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I know the album is still pretty new, considering, but I have taken some breaks from it, and every time I come back to it, is just feels right. It's like that old sweatshirt you refuse to throw away because it is too damn comfy.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

PeterJ wrote:I know the album is still pretty new, considering, but I have taken some breaks from it, and every time I come back to it, is just feels right. It's like that old sweatshirt you refuse to throw away because it is too damn comfy.

I also had kind of similar experience. Sounds like a classic already.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I love the songs from English Oceans and my favorites change all the time. I don't really think there's a weak song on the album.

The one thing I'm not crazy about? The mix. I think it's a little too bass heavy and murky, but not in a good way. I like to think I have a pretty good system, Thorens TD-160 Super, Marantz PM6005, The Advent Loudspeakers, all serviced and up to spec. Bottom line, love the songs, not crazy about the mix especially the bottom end. On the other hand the vocals are recorded and mixed almost perfectly.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

brett27295 wrote:I love the songs from English Oceans and my favorites change all the time. I don't really think there's a weak song on the album.

The one thing I'm not crazy about? The mix. I think it's a little too bass heavy and murky, but not in a good way. I like to think I have a pretty good system, Thorens TD-160 Super, Marantz PM6005, The Advent Loudspeakers, all serviced and up to spec. Bottom line, love the songs, not crazy about the mix especially the bottom end. On the other hand the vocals are recorded and mixed almost perfectly.

I love David Barbe and realize he's an honorary Trucker, but I'd like to see them get someone else to produce their next record. Break the comfort zone.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Smitty wrote:
brett27295 wrote:I love the songs from English Oceans and my favorites change all the time. I don't really think there's a weak song on the album.

I love David Barbe and realize he's an honorary Trucker, but I'd like to see them get someone else to produce their next record. Break the comfort zone.

Yep, not been crazy about the sound of the last three records. EO is actually pretty poor from an audiophile point of view - maybe deliberately so?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Forget audiophile. Get yourselves some crappy systems instead. ;) It sounds amazing on mine. (But then again I didn't hear the high pitch noise some was complaining about)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

jmdaniel wrote:
I listened to Southeastern for almost two months straight, and bought tickets to see him at The Belmont here in Austin the minute they came out.

My copy of EO is somewhere in the stacks, I may or may not look for it someday, and blew off the Truckers show at Stubbs, at least partially because it was a "school night".

YMMV.

But that is why there is more than one artist out there. I listened to Southeast once, maybe twice. It was fine.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

one belt loop wrote:
jmdaniel wrote:

YMMV.

But that is why there is more than one artist out there. I listened to Southeast once, maybe twice. It was fine.

I've listened to English Oceans more than Southeastern. Nothing against that record or Isbell but I've always been more of a Truckers fan.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

English Oceans is a return to form for DBT. Southeastern is Jason Isbell at his finest yet. I find myself listening to Southeastern more than English Oceans, though I wouldn't consider myself a fan of JI over DBT. Southeastern seems unfamiliar - which is why I listen to it more. English Oceans has a down-homey relaxed feeling; perhaps the most relaxed, or not-tense, DBT album yet. Every time I listen to EO, I notice something new. But I never think I will. It doesn't challenge the listener as much as Southeastern...

just some ramblings in the early morning rain.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'll be damned if I know why I should bother comparing the two. Both are fine, fine records from completely different places and muses. I binged on both for long periods of time and I know every single word to every single song. I think that's all I have to say about that.