English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

roland wrote:I'm sorry, but I just can't listen to this album due to the horrible background hiss/squeal in the Cooley tracks. Every time I try to play it, I get pissed off and turn it off. I cannot believe a band that is supposed to be where the Truckers are can let shit quality recording get past proofing. I hate this album, and despite some good songwriting, loss of shitty Shonna songs, and the addition of Matt, I cannot get past the completely terrible mastering. Hope they do better next time.

I'm guessing my hearing is worse than I imagined since I've never picked up on this. I'll have to listen more closely next time. Maybe it's because I've mainly listened to it in the car.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
roland wrote:I'm sorry, but I just can't listen to this album due to the horrible background hiss/squeal in the Cooley tracks. Every time I try to play it, I get pissed off and turn it off. I cannot believe a band that is supposed to be where the Truckers are can let shit quality recording get past proofing. I hate this album, and despite some good songwriting, loss of shitty Shonna songs, and the addition of Matt, I cannot get past the completely terrible mastering. Hope they do better next time.

I'm guessing my hearing is worse than I imagined since I've never picked up on this. I'll have to listen more closely next time. Maybe it's because I've mainly listened to it in the car.

It's only on Natural Light and First Air of Autumn
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've listened for it and I'm not even sure I can hear it. A nonfactor for me.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Clams wrote:I've listened for it and I'm not even sure I can hear it. A nonfactor for me.

same here

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I have serious hearing loss in my right eat but I can still hear it. It is kind of annoying but not enough to keep me from listening. It's most prevalent at the beginning of FAoA
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Smitty wrote:I have serious hearing loss in my right eat but I can still hear it. It is kind of annoying but not enough to keep me from listening. It's most prevalent at the beginning of FAoA

You sure that's not tinnitus Smitty? I'd get that looked at
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
Smitty wrote:I have serious hearing loss in my right eat but I can still hear it. It is kind of annoying but not enough to keep me from listening. It's most prevalent at the beginning of FAoA

You sure that's not tinnitus Smitty? I'd get that looked at

If tinnitus was in my ear I think I might skip the looking and go right for my shotgun.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Got an email from amazon about a deluxe edition 2 CD English Oceans plus a DVD. No details other than it is released on 11-17, and the album cover is a different color tint. Anyone know why this is all about?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Andy1969

Post by Andy1969 »

I'm very late on this thread, but just wanted to add that I really love this album. I also put Primer Coat right up there with my favourite tracks.....Cooley's storytelling is just great. For me the cohesion of the whole album is really something, really helped along with the very obvious live, almost rehearsal room moments and feel. I think in time, this will be an album I go back too, quite like the above mentioned Nebraska and for many similar reasons. I'll also be playing it right through :)

Clams

Post by Clams »

The songs I come back to most often are When He's Gone and Primer Coat.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Clams wrote:The songs I come back to most often are When He's Gone and Primer Coat.

I just put it in and let it roll.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I wonder what the overlap is between the "Primer Coat is the best song on EO" crowd and "Lydia Loveless is the best artist of the year" crowd

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:I wonder what the overlap is between the "Primer Coat is the best song on EO" crowd and "Lydia Loveless is the best artist of the year" crowd

First of all, that makes no sense. Second, I'd much prefer to overlap with those two crowds than the one that thinks Pink Floyd is still relevant. :)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:I wonder what the overlap is between the "Primer Coat is the best song on EO" crowd and "Lydia Loveless is the best artist of the year" crowd

I think there is a lot of overlap in the small sample size that is 3DD

First of all, that makes no sense. Second, I'd much prefer to overlap with those two crowds than the one that thinks Pink Floyd is still relevant. :)

no one thinks Pink Floyd is still relevant

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The answer is that of course there's some overlap because we're talking about a very small universe of people. But after several minutes spent (wasted?) thinking about it, I can't fathom what connection you're making or trying to make or alleging or implying or whatever it is that you're doing.

Full disclosure: there are some days that I think "Primer Coat" is the best song on EO and there are at least as many days, probably more, that I think Lydia Loveless is the best artist of the year.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There's no implication whatsoever. I just happened to notice an overlap. As someone who a) doesn't like Primer Coat and b) doesn't enjoy Lydia Loveless, I wondered if there was some cosmic connection

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Full disclosure: there are some days that I think "Primer Coat" is the best song on EO and there are at least as many days, probably more, that I think Lydia Loveless is the best artist of the year.

So he's right. You're a goddam overlapper!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the hell this overlap shit us all about.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I was not properly advised of my rights before I made this admission so you can't use it against me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:There's no implication whatsoever. I just happened to notice an overlap. As someone who a) doesn't like Primer Coat and b) doesn't enjoy Lydia Loveless, I wondered if there was some cosmic connection

You have a cramp in your ear?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm probably in that camp.

But I'm guessing you assumed as much.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I noticed it too on quite a few tracks, I assumed it was an MP3 thing. (Im all digital)

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:

I think there is a lot of overlap in the small sample size that is 3DD

no one thinks Pink Floyd is still relevant

I don't know about relevant, but the "new" album is a nice listen. An instrumental overture of their career.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Got my Black Ice Verite LP/DVD combo today. Since it arrived a day early, you can probably guess I went with Amazon instead of Music Today

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

rlipps wrote:Got my Black Ice Verite LP/DVD combo today. Since it arrived a day early, you can probably guess I went with Amazon instead of Music Today

Not to split hairs but I've been seeing the release as the 17th (same for the new Wilco releases). In fact, I've been seeing Mondays as the release dates for a lot of stuff lately. Seems like I remember seeing an article a while back that plans were underway to move the release dates for CD's/vinyl (and possibly DVD's) to Fridays but haven't really heard much about it since.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Well how is the DVD?!

Don't make me beg.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
rlipps wrote:Got my Black Ice Verite LP/DVD combo today. Since it arrived a day early, you can probably guess I went with Amazon instead of Music Today

Not to split hairs but I've been seeing the release as the 17th (same for the new Wilco releases). In fact, I've been seeing Mondays as the release dates for a lot of stuff lately. Seems like I remember seeing an article a while back that plans were underway to move the release dates for CD's/vinyl (and possibly DVD's) to Fridays but haven't really heard much about it since.

From people I know in the business the Friday releases are a done deal. Supposed to start in late 2015 in time for Christmas next year.

dangerbird

Post by dangerbird »

any one else have a skip in "Grand Canyon" seems to be a pressing error?

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Got mine from MusicToday today. Paid standard shipping. I didnt get a download card though. :twisted:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.