English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Barely_Oakely

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Barely_Oakely »

According to my interweb, my copy of the vinyl is supposed to get to my house today... Only a week late. I've never been too hung up on collectible records, but this experience is sorta making me wish that I'd spent my dollars at a local record store trying to track down a blue copy.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Yep, I still haven't heard a proper copy of the new album. Waiting on my cd so I can rip it lossless into iTunes. It's messed up to pay for something months in advance and still not have it a week after its release. Next time I'll just buy it when it comes out.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

jcook wrote:
WERK wrote:Has anyone from the band commented on this to say if this was intentionally part of the song or not?

Haven't heard anything. I sent them a message on Facebook asking if they had any other complaints and didn't hear anything back. Honestly I don't think they can hear it. We're the unlucky ones...

In any case, I was able to clean them up and remove that squeal. Two of my favorite tracks on the record now, where before they were unlistenable. Just PM'd you.

Now if you could only clean up that 13Khz squeal that Clams and BTB make everytime the Phillies/Red Sox/Flyers/Bruins/Eagles/Patriots/76'ers/Celtics lose a game. :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Now if you could only clean up that 13Khz squeal that Clams and BTB make everytime the Phillies/Red Sox/Flyers/Bruins/Eagles/Patriots/76'ers/Celtics lose a game. :D

Total cheap shot (as to me at least; as to BTB, I couldn't agree more)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Clams wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:

Cheap shots count, Clams.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Bearee wrote:Am I wrong to say that the new lineup and new album pales in comparison to the 2000's glory years? I miss the dynamics of the Isbell line up. Too bad things went south with him. I'm still going to the rock show, wouldn't miss it. Just think the band is trying too hard to re-invent themselves when they once had the formula and lost it. Need to get that formula back. No more Sandwiches for the Road!

I think the new lineup is different now because DBT has changed. Age, values, real life. All contribute to the way we evolve. DBT is no different and their art reflects who they are as people. So I do not agree "that the new lineup and new album pales in comparison to the 2000's glory years." It's just who they are.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Everything was always better back in the good 'ol days.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

jmdaniel

Post by jmdaniel »

Barely_Oakely wrote:According to my interweb, my copy of the vinyl is supposed to get to my house today... Only a week late. I've never been too hung up on collectible records, but this experience is sorta making me wish that I'd spent my dollars at a local record store trying to track down a blue copy.

No kidding. I got an email today, stating the CD has finally shipped! Musictoday will never get another dime from me....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:
jcook wrote:
WERK wrote:Has anyone from the band commented on this to say if this was intentionally part of the song or not?

Haven't heard anything. I sent them a message on Facebook asking if they had any other complaints and didn't hear anything back. Honestly I don't think they can hear it. We're the unlucky ones...

In any case, I was able to clean them up and remove that squeal. Two of my favorite tracks on the record now, where before they were unlistenable. Just PM'd you.

Excuse me. This is Boston. We don't squeal. We whine. And politely, too. And in Philly, they throw batteries.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:
Clams wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:

Cheap shots count, Clams.

:lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gaetzi wrote:Everything was always better back in the good 'ol days.

Especially the blizzards. And the uphills.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:Everything was always better back in the good 'ol days.

Especially the blizzards. And the uphills.

in both directions!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Fool No Where wrote:
Bearee wrote:Am I wrong to say that the new lineup and new album pales in comparison to the 2000's glory years? I miss the dynamics of the Isbell line up. Too bad things went south with him. I'm still going to the rock show, wouldn't miss it. Just think the band is trying too hard to re-invent themselves when they once had the formula and lost it. Need to get that formula back. No more Sandwiches for the Road!

I think the new lineup is different now because DBT has changed. Age, values, real life. All contribute to the way we evolve. DBT is no different and their art reflects who they are as people. So I do not agree "that the new lineup and new album pales in comparison to the 2000's glory years." It's just who they are.

All bands that last longer than 15 years evolve or devolve in some manner. I think this album is a perfect example of how to evolve with dignity. This is the right sound for now, and I like it. Neil, PJ, REM, U2, Stones, all lost something as time went on. EO has no wimp factor or compromise issues. It is just different than other DBT albums, and that is what they should be doing. Especially after the recent changes, that are probably psychologically more significant than they let on.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Barely_Oakely wrote:According to my interweb, my copy of the vinyl is supposed to get to my house today... Only a week late. I've never been too hung up on collectible records, but this experience is sorta making me wish that I'd spent my dollars at a local record store trying to track down a blue copy.

Mine is slated to be delivered on Wednesday, arriving 2 days after the limited edition blue vinyl arrived. I preordered EO on December 20th, 2013, I ordered the fucking limited edition last Tuesday!!! Plus the "limited" was cheaper!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bearee wrote:
Am I wrong to say that the new lineup and new album pales in comparison to the 2000's glory years? I miss the dynamics of the Isbell line up. Too bad things went south with him. I'm still going to the rock show, wouldn't miss it. Just think the band is trying too hard to re-invent themselves when they once had the formula and lost it. Need to get that formula back. No more Sandwiches for the Road!

What you're looking for quite literally doesn't exist this side of time travel. It's not that there aren't formulae in music. There are all sorts of formulae and conventions in every form of music from symphonies to 3 guitar rock to country to 12 bar blues (the word "form" kind of gives it away). But music that simply reproduces a formula is generally dismissed as, well, formulaic. That would apply to stuff like "new country" and the boy band or pop diva of the month. The lightning strikes when an artist takes the formula and does something new or different to/with it. But that's alchemy, not science and generally when it happens it captures a moment in time that can't be re-caught.

You could replace jay and matt w/ earl hicks, jason and neff tomorrow. That band could recreate their original songs note for note, like an expensive cover band. Or they could make new music. I don't know what that new music would sound like, but I do know that it wouldn't sound like Decoration Day. Bands are like any living organism: They're either evolving and re-inventing themselves or they're dying. DBT is very much alive, if you know where to look and how to listen.

There's nothing wrong w/ liking the old stuff more than the new. History shows that once a band has made a Decoration Day it's unlikely to make another. That the band made 3 albums as great as Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day and The Dirty South in a row is more or less a miracle and a feat only rarely replicated in the history of rock music. But to say that the band has lost the formula or is trying too hard to re-invent itself is to misunderstand the nature of music-making.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Bearee wrote:
Am I wrong to say that the new lineup and new album pales in comparison to the 2000's glory years? I miss the dynamics of the Isbell line up. Too bad things went south with him. I'm still going to the rock show, wouldn't miss it. Just think the band is trying too hard to re-invent themselves when they once had the formula and lost it. Need to get that formula back. No more Sandwiches for the Road!

What you're looking for quite literally doesn't exist this side of time travel. It's not that there aren't formulae in music. There are all sorts of formulae and conventions in every form of music from symphonies to 3 guitar rock to country to 12 bar blues (the word "form" kind of gives it away). But music that simply reproduces a formula is generally dismissed as, well, formulaic. That would apply to stuff like "new country" and the boy band or pop diva of the month. The lightning strikes when an artist takes the formula and does something new or different to/with it. But that's alchemy, not science and generally when it happens it captures a moment in time that can't be re-caught.

You could replace jay and matt w/ earl hicks, jason and neff tomorrow. That band could recreate their original songs note for note, like an expensive cover band. Or they could make new music. I don't know what that new music would sound like, but I do know that it wouldn't sound like Decoration Day. Bands are like any living organism: They're either evolving and re-inventing themselves or they're dying. DBT is very much alive, if you know where to look and how to listen.

There's nothing wrong w/ liking the old stuff more than the new. History shows that once a band has made a Decoration Day it's unlikely to make another. That the band made 3 albums as great as Southern Rock Opera, Decoration Day and The Dirty South in a row is more or less a miracle and a feat only rarely replicated in the history of rock music. But to say that the band has lost the formula or is trying too hard to re-invent itself is to misunderstand the nature of music-making.

Pretty much agree with all of that but I think there's one more point that bears mentioning and that's that people change. I'm not talking about fundamental change like you wake up one day and become your polar opposite or something, but the kind of change that's gradual over time. In 2003 the principals of this band were 39 and 36, today they're (nearly) 50 and 47. Look back at your own timeline 11 years and see what that looks like. Is your work style the same? Assuming it's not I would guess that the change is due to a series of conscious and subconscious choices. If your vocation is woodworking would your work look the same 11 years later? What if you were a painter, would you paint the same things? What you call reinvention is, to me, natural growth. As Beantown says though you can prefer what went before, it's perfectly OK, but pining for it to return is a little foolish whether it be something in your own life or the music you enjoy. I've fallen off the bandwagon of many bands over the years from R.E.M. to My Morning Jacket, sometimes artists just change in such a way that they no longer appeal to you. When I was younger I would get angry at this, at 52 years old and hopefully a little wiser I realize that the issues aren't with the artist, they're with me. Just because I don't like the changes or growth an artist makes doesn't invalidate them, it just means our paths have diverged. When you say that the earlier lineup "pales in comparison" understand that's how you feel, and it is valid, but it's not objective and nor should it be. Just realize too that others may not agree because their path is different than yours. Oh and guess what? It's all OK.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just listen to Southeastern and Heat Lightning to know that Isbell/Hood are not writing the same songs they did 10 years ago.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'd have to dig through the archives to find the exact quote from Jenn but I remember some deep discussions on the DBT's Yahoo Group around the time Jason joined the band and how that change altered their sound. I think it went something like, "we're just seeing another side of the coin" (or another dimension of their sound). That's what's happening now and has happened since day one with this band. With U2 and R.E.M. you can nearly pinpoint moments in some of their latter day songs where they've hearkened back to their early work as a touchstone, conscious or not. I don't hear any of that with English Oceans, I hear the sound of a band moving on.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'd have to dig through the archives to find the exact quote from Jenn but I remember some deep discussions on the DBT's Yahoo Group around the time Jason joined the band and how that change altered their sound. I think it went something like, "we're just seeing another side of the coin" (or another dimension of their sound). That's what's happening now and has happened since day one with this band. With U2 and R.E.M. you can nearly pinpoint moments in some of their latter day songs where they've hearkened back to their early work as a touchstone, conscious or not. I don't hear any of that with English Oceans, I hear the sound of a band moving on.

Exactly right. "He not busy being born is busy dying."
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A week after release, English Oceans is hanging in at #7 on Amazon's list of best-selling albums (disc & vinyl). :)

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

In the top 10. Pretty sweet.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Swamp wrote:
Swamp wrote:Finally got our copy today. Is the vinyl suppose to come with a cd? If so, the Swamps are outta luck.

hanklow wrote:Vinyl comes with a download code…no CD

linkous wrote:The vinyl comes with a free CD. I'm glad I bought the CD as well as the vinyl though - more money for the band and the free CD has no artwork whatsoever, just comes inside a plastic wallet.
I did notice on the DBT website that it mentions a free download card with all copies of the vinyl, but no mention of a free CD.
I got the opposite :) Anybody else get a free CD with the vinyl, or is this just a UK thing maybe?

Maybe It's just a Eropean thing.
For some reason I just couldn't take Dig This off the turntable. So Marina had to do it. I'm glad she did and I'm glad I'm old.
What are you people talking about?..................... Sounds great to me.

Yes, definitely a European thing. I picked up a copy of the vinyl today at the local (relatively speaking) vinyl store. There was a CD inside. Makes me wonder if they use a European pressing plant for what's sold over here.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Their performance on Conan the other night erased most of my doubts about the current DBT lineup. They were so energetic and played great. I think material-wise English Oceans is one of the most consistent DBT albums. Yet it doesn't completely hold up as an album for me. Mainly because I feel the performances on it aren't always that great, along with what seems to me like rushed arrangements and two tracks that are unlistenable because of the noise.
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

OK so I went to the local record store and bought a copy of the CD. I am still trying to track the blue vinyl but what evs. Failing that I will buy the album from the DBT store.

I have very deliberately resisted learning anything much about the new album, and did not take the opportunity to get a leaked copy pre-release. I wanted to come to the thing fresh and with no preconceptions.

I like it so far but its early days yet. As an example, I adored Go Go Boots when it first came out but now it is in my three least played DBT records. I thought ABAAC kind of sucked early on but now I really like it. So there's that.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

walthers

Post by walthers »

linkous wrote:
The vinyl comes with a free CD. I'm glad I bought the CD as well as the vinyl though - more money for the band and the free CD has no artwork whatsoever, just comes inside a plastic wallet.
I did notice on the DBT website that it mentions a free download card with all copies of the vinyl, but no mention of a free CD.
I got the opposite Anybody else get a free CD with the vinyl, or is this just a UK thing maybe?

I came home to my record on my door step and it had he digital code as well as a cd copy of English Oceans. I was curious why the cd was opened and the disc was sliding around the box. Once I opened it up I realized that the entire band had signed the picture on the inside fold of the cd! I knew nothing about them doing this but man, what a great treat to come home to!!

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I finally got my preorder CD in the mail today. I was a little bummed that besides the cover there is only one other Wes Freed picture on the cover of the lyric insert. I always look forward to different artwork that goes with the tunes. That being said, the cover is amazing and would make a great poster or tattoo.

edit: no signatures on my copy :(

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I ordered the vinyl and it came with a download card as well as an autographed CD.

Maybe the inclusion of the autographed CD is a randomly chosen bonus for some vinyl purchasers??

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As I recall, the pre-offer was that 25 random cd & vinyl purchasers would get signed copies, so you must be among the lucky ones.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I fucking love the solos on Hearing Jimmy Loud & Pauline Hawkins.

Blasphemy thread ?
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

TW_2.0 wrote:I fucking love the solos on Hearing Jimmy Loud & Pauline Hawkins.

Blasphemy thread ?

I'm on board with this.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved