English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Zip City »

It's a shame that the sibilance stayed on the final master, but I'll do my best to ignore it.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

My pre-order finally arrived today. Blasting right now. The CD sounds so much better than the leak. Carry on.

McButton

Post by McButton »

Just saw a tweet from Twist and Shout that all their blue vinyl is sold out, with the number of copies they had, I have to imagine that 3DD made a big dent in that supply, nice work folks!

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

Cooley has outdone himself. Amazing material. Not taking anything away from Patterson. The Truck ride just gets better and better. Glad to be in the convoy.
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

McButton wrote:Just saw a tweet from Twist and Shout that all their blue vinyl is sold out, with the number of copies they had, I have to imagine that 3DD made a big dent in that supply, nice work folks!

I got 2 from their supply. And a big THANK YOU to rlipps for the info!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Monty

Post by Monty »

befranklin3 wrote:Oh, and after you use it, post something so a bunch of folks don"t waste their time.

Thanks I used the first code. I have been sick and stuck at home since Saturday so Thank You! I can now continue to go back and forth with my decision of vinyl or cd!

mikem

Post by mikem »

The last minute of Grand Canyon

Why can't that go on for like 10 minutes

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

befranklin3 wrote:Just got my Los Angeles CD Release tickets, which came with a download code for English Oceans, which is currently in my cd player. So, here is a one-use code for the first person who wants it...freeeeeeeee!
FCL

REDEMPTION CODES - DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS, FAN CLUB ALBUM RELEASE SHOW
Please use this url and one-time use code to download DBT's new album 'English Oceans'.

http://www.atorecords.com/downloads

jnEr9eCH
jNKgKh9s

Looks like they're both used now. Thanks for sharing!

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Monty wrote:
befranklin3 wrote:Oh, and after you use it, post something so a bunch of folks don"t waste their time.

Thanks I used the first code. I have been sick and stuck at home since Saturday so Thank You! I can now continue to go back and forth with my decision of vinyl or cd!

Both? ;)

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Zip City wrote:It's a shame that the sibilance stayed on the final master, but I'll do my best to ignore it.

Yeah, I wish I was in the group of folks who can't hear it. Luckily it's only on two tracks (at least that I can notice). I'll tell you one thing though, I am grateful the Truckers gave us another amazing album and looking forward to seeing the new material live in Denver and Portland.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I guess I'm not alone, but my "pre-order" is still being processed. Damn thing hasn't even shipped yet. And they estimate 7-10 days to deliver once it's shipped. Sumbitch.

Edit: Oddly enough, exactly 13 minutes after the time of this post, I got an email saying that it had finally been shipped.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

linkous

Post by linkous »

maxjkugel wrote:
Zip City wrote:It's a shame that the sibilance stayed on the final master, but I'll do my best to ignore it.

Yeah, I wish I was in the group of folks who can't hear it. Luckily it's only on two tracks (at least that I can notice). I'll tell you one thing though, I am grateful the Truckers gave us another amazing album and looking forward to seeing the new material live in Denver and Portland.

It's on at least six tracks. Some are really obvious, the others are more obvious when you listen with headphones but it's definitely there. As I said at the time I don't mind, gives it an organic, earthy vibe.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

linkous wrote:
maxjkugel wrote:

It's on at least six tracks. Some are really obvious, the others are more obvious when you listen with headphones but it's definitely there. As I said at the time I don't mind, gives it an organic, earthy vibe.

There's tape hiss, amp hum, bleed through from playing in a live room. I love it all :)

Oh and EZB humming or groaning or whatever that is on Grand Canyon too!

Bearee

Post by Bearee »

I've been a DBT fan for many years. I downloaded the MP3 from Amazon, not a pirate copy. I find the sound quality to be poor. Lead guitar is muffled / fuzzed out on many tracks, especially the ending of Pauline Hawkins. Don't know if this is for "garage" effect, but it does't work for me. Also, the percussion on English Oceans should have been turned way up in the mix, its barely audible. And what's with the background mumbling on Grand Canyon? Some goods songs, but nothing really jumps out at me. Many of the songs sound the same, not enough variety musically. DBT needs to return to a 3 guitar line up IMO.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Bearee wrote:DBT needs to return to a 3 guitar line up IMO.

DBT currently is a three guitar line up, albeit one of them divides his time between guitar and keys.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

DBT currently is a three guitar line up, albeit one of them divides his time between guitar and keys.

I'm in the minority who thinks he should spend more time behind the keys and less on the guitar

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:
There's tape hiss, amp hum, bleed through from playing in a live room. I love it all :)

I don't mind any of those. It's the high pitched squeal on Natural Light and the sibilance on First Air of Autumn (that would be easy to ignore if it didn't cut in and out)

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I'm in the minority who thinks he should spend more time behind the keys and less on the guitar

I would have to agree. I feel he's a really good player but I'm not crazy about his take on the classics lead guitar-wise. Altough I have to say that his solo on "Primer Coat", to me, is the best guitar solo on English Oceans by a mile.
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

heartbreaker1976

Zip City wrote:
heartbreaker1976 wrote:

I don't mind any of those. It's the high pitched squeal on Natural Light and the sibilance on First Air of Autumn (that would be easy to ignore if it didn't cut in and out)

I think the squeal on natty light is Cooley's guitar amp. And First Air Of Autumn all I hear is the organ seemingly playing endless whole notes?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RoyHandcuff wrote:Altough I have to say that his solo on "Primer Coat", to me, is the best guitar solo on English Oceans by a mile.

It's great, but the solos on Pauline Hawkins and Hearing Jimmy Loud are pretty awful

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Zip City wrote:
RoyHandcuff wrote:Altough I have to say that his solo on "Primer Coat", to me, is the best guitar solo on English Oceans by a mile.

It's great, but the solos on Pauline Hawkins and Hearing Jimmy Loud are pretty awful

But that's gotta be Cooley, right? The solo on PH I'm kinda warming up to a little bit, but I'm still scratching my head over the leads on HJL.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Bearee wrote:I've been a DBT fan for many years. I downloaded the MP3 from Amazon, not a pirate copy. I find the sound quality to be poor. Lead guitar is muffled / fuzzed out on many tracks, especially the ending of Pauline Hawkins. Don't know if this is for "garage" effect, but it does't work for me. Also, the percussion on English Oceans should have been turned way up in the mix, its barely audible. And what's with the background mumbling on Grand Canyon? Some goods songs, but nothing really jumps out at me. Many of the songs sound the same, not enough variety musically. DBT needs to return to a 3 guitar line up IMO.

Now THAT is how you make a first post. No "thanks for having me" "glad to be here" bullshit, just both barrels blazing about what is wrong with the new album and the current lineup. Welcome to the board dude!
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Here's some pretty hot, ripping three guitar attack
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

Gaetzi wrote:

Here's some pretty hot, ripping three guitar attack

Yeah, I know! I think I prefer this version to the one on the album, to be honest. Sounds great!

heartbreaker1976

RoyHandcuff wrote:
Zip City wrote:

But that's gotta be Cooley, right? The solo on PH I'm kinda warming up to a little bit, but I'm still scratching my head over the leads on HJL.

Pauline Hawkins first solo is Cooley, it's mainly Patterson during the Coda on the left speaker Cooley on the right side (If I remember correctly). Hearing Jimmy Loud is all Cooley I think.
I personally like both Cooley and Pattersons lead playing. Haphazard and wild. Patterson reminds me of Neil Young and Cooley reminds of Willie if Willie played an electric guitar.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

mikem wrote:The last minute of Grand Canyon

Why can't that go on for like 10 minutes

I think rather than side four of the LP being blank it should have Grand Canyon on it, with the entire rest of the side being the feedback.
Keep calm and have a cigar

roland

Post by roland »

maxjkugel wrote:

Me, too. I was hoping it was just the leak, and the official is better, but I still hear it. Again, though...great record.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:Pauline Hawkins first solo is Cooley, it's mainly Patterson during the Coda on the left speaker Cooley on the right side (If I remember correctly). Hearing Jimmy Loud is all Cooley I think.
I personally like both Cooley and Pattersons lead playing. Haphazard and wild. Patterson reminds me of Neil Young and Cooley reminds of Willie if Willie played an electric guitar.

Haphazard and wild is exactly right and I like the solos in both songs a lot, especially in Pauline Hawkins. The comparison to Neil young at his raunchiest is apt.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jax Mark

Post by Jax Mark »

Fuck all this criticism, I've been listening to DBT for 10 years and this album rocks. You want something pro-tooled and auto-tuned go listen to something else- I prefer hearing the imperfections and sounds of REAL music being made. To me, there are several instant DBT classics on English Oceans that will be staples at live shows from here on out. I enjoyed the new stuff at the 40 Watt shows and can't wait to hear it again in Ponte Vedra in June!! DBT!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jax Mark wrote:Fuck all this criticism, I've been listening to DBT for 10 years and this album rocks. You want something pro-tooled and auto-tuned go listen to something else- I prefer hearing the imperfections and sounds of REAL music being made. To me, there are several instant DBT classics on English Oceans that will be staples at live shows from here on out. I enjoyed the new stuff at the 40 Watt shows and can't wait to hear it again in Ponte Vedra in June!! DBT!!

Right on brother. I'm with you.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved