English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote:I just noticed they quoted my Stereogum piece for the sticker on the CD. Can I confess to you guys that that sorta makes my day? Our secret.

:D
:ugeek:

Very nice!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

walthers

Post by walthers »

Same for me, have not heard a thing yet. I am one of those folks that bought vinyl and the record player is broken anyway. Going to check that amazon link though to check out that player, thanks for the heAds up on that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jimmyjack wrote:I just noticed they quoted my Stereogum piece for the sticker on the CD. Can I confess to you guys that that sorta makes my day? Our secret.

That's alsum!! :D :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Amazon says it's guaranteed to arrive tomorrow. Can't beat that.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

brett27295 wrote:
Jonicont wrote:
My local only had 2

The local one here only had 2 as well

When I hit Schoolkids in Raleigh yesterday afternoon, they had four in stock, I grabbed two of them. When I told a friend about it he called and they only had one left and it was spoken for. Evidently All Day Records in Carrboro didn't get any in. I'm not sure about Offbeat Music and Bull City Records in Durham or CD Alley and Vinyl Perk in Chapel Hill. When I was at CD Alley in Chapel Hill on Friday night, I noticed the regular vinyl but wasn't aware of the blue vinyl at that time. I'd heard about it through this board but wasn't sure if it was just a rumor or what at that point.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

That is fantastic! You have every right to have that make your day.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

That is fantastic! You have every right to have that make your day.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Mine still shows "processing" as well.

We do our part and pre-order 2 months in advance, and this is the "service" you get...

MusicToday just sucks ass...

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Totally agree. Picked mine up Friday afternoon. Well done boys! Loving this album so far. Only one track hasn't grown on me yet, and I'll let the people still waiting to get it tomorrow see if they feel the same. EZB is all over this record and I love it!

Markalanbishop wrote:Got the CD at my local record store today even though I ordered through the DBT website too. Sounds amazing. Lots of differences from whatever that was we've been listening to. First thing that jumps out at me is how great the drums and bass sound. I could be mistaken but it seems a couple of tempos are subtly different. I ended up buying the vinyl as well and I don't even have a working turntable yet. DO NOT tell my wife!

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Haven't got my vinyl yet, but it's up and streaming today on Rdio so it's time for a listen. I've only heard the leak so far, so I'm excited to hear the final.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

cre618

Bootleg English Oceans Blue Vinyl

Post by cre618 »

Anyone get one today? Nothing here at Waterloo in Austin after waiting in the cold. Brrrrr.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

15 below here, and my vinyl copy is probably sitting on my front porch. That can't be good for it.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

linkous

Post by linkous »

Mine's is still "out for delivery". I think they only deliver up to 17:30(UK time), so 33 minutes or bust!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:15 below here, and my vinyl copy is probably sitting on my front porch. That can't be good for it.

Pretty sure you'll be ok (unless you drop it when it's cold) but when you bring it in I would open it very carefully and remove the record from the packaging. The condensation could do more damage than the actual cold.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:15 below here, and my vinyl copy is probably sitting on my front porch. That can't be good for it.

Pretty sure you'll be ok (unless you drop it when it's cold) but when you bring it in I would open it very carefully and remove the record from the packaging. The condensation could do more damage than the actual cold.

Sounds like a medical emergency. I'm thinking sick day.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Picked up #375/700 from Criminal Records today and my CD copy shows that it will deliver tomorrow, it's gonna be a good week :D

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

jimmyjack wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
ramonz wrote:Great, long review/article on EO and DBT in Paste: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... lling.html

Like. Reviews aren't often mixed w/ background/historical/feature write-ups like this one. Himes does a good job of weaving it all together. Plus jimmyjack will be happy that there's no score/stars.

I did notice this. :D

I concur about it being a good piece - refreshing! Glad Paste did it so I don't have to. :lol:

Said it on the other thread and I'll say it here, too - their best since DD.

Also, looks like I'll be buying this one twice: did anyone else hear about an indie retail store 'blue vinyl' version?

Paste went ahead & rated it.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Longtime lurker, second-time poster with some news to share for the Colorado folks:

Picked up #11/750 this a.m. at Twist and Shout, and was informed at checkout that DBT are playing an as-yet-unannounced in-store there on 4/19 before the Rock Show at the Fillmore. Got a wristband that guarantees me an up-front spot and a photo/autograph opp with the band. Details should go public tomorrow, but here's your heads up.

Get on it, Denver!
Last edited by ndavis86 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Oh, and by the by, I'd say they've got a couple dozen (maybe 30) of the limited blue vinyl. I'm guessing the wristband comes with the standard vinyl version as well, but can't confirm. No idea on the CD (exact words were "Since you're buying the vinyl, you get a wristband." Read into that what you will.) If you're going there on day 1, I'm guessing you're going for the limited version, anyhow.

Bootleg version is $21.99; standard 2xLP is $18.99. Screamin' deal on both counts.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Both record stores I checked with said they won't know what versions they will get until tomorrow. Very disappointing since everyone is getting theirs already. And my pre-order is still "processing" on the DBT website. Really hoping I can score a blue vinyl copy.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

linkous

Post by linkous »

linkous wrote:Mine's is still "out for delivery". I think they only deliver up to 17:30(UK time), so 33 minutes or bust!

Oh well, never mind!

Edit - 15 minutes later and it's arrived - nearly 7pm UK time!!!! Get in!!!

SouthCarolinaRed

English Oceans Bootleg

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

Hello all,

Not trying to be a pest but I have no local indie record stores my area and don't have the ability to drive to one several hours away today. Anyone know of a store that would be willing to sell the bootleg to a person on the phone with a credit card? Tried Pegasus but they were local sales only. Thanks.
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

psychobillycadillac

Re: English Oceans Bootleg

Post by psychobillycadillac »

I'm in Georgia and Criminal Records in Atlanta had several copies earlier today, not sure if they'll ship but give them a try.

linkous

Post by linkous »

linkous wrote:
linkous wrote:Mine's is still "out for delivery". I think they only deliver up to 17:30(UK time), so 33 minutes or bust!

Oh well, never mind!

Edit - 15 minutes later and it's arrived - nearly 7pm UK time!!!! Get in!!!

The vinyl comes with a free CD. I'm glad I bought the CD as well as the vinyl though - more money for the band and the free CD has no artwork whatsoever, just comes inside a plastic wallet.
I did notice on the DBT website that it mentions a free download card with all copies of the vinyl, but no mention of a free CD.
I got the opposite :) Anybody else get a free CD with the vinyl, or is this just a UK thing maybe?
Last edited by linkous on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:Hello all,

Not trying to be a pest but I have no local indie record stores my area and don't have the ability to drive to one several hours away today. Anyone know of a store that would be willing to sell the bootleg to a person on the phone with a credit card? Tried Pegasus but they were local sales only. Thanks.

Twist & Shout here in Denver might be amenable, but I'm not sure. They have an active Discogs presence, so they definitely have a "process" for shipping, etc.

I've dealt with Cabin Floor Records in SC via Discogs as well. I don't know if they have the limited vinyl, but they're super helpful in general.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

ndavis86 wrote:Oh, and by the by, I'd say they've got a couple dozen (maybe 30) of the limited blue vinyl.

30?! You lucky so-and-so. I've called every record store I know within an hour drive of me and nobody's got even a single copy.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Anybody in the states received their vinyl yet?
Haven't got mine.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

McButton

Post by McButton »

ndavis86 wrote:

Twist & Shout here in Denver might be amenable, but I'm not sure. They have an active Discogs presence, so they definitely have a "process" for shipping, etc.

I've dealt with Cabin Floor Records in SC via Discogs as well. I don't know if they have the limited vinyl, but they're super helpful in general.

Years ago before I lived in Denver, I bought a few indie store only releases from Twist and Shout by phone, plus like ndavis86 said, they have quite a few of 'em, so I'd try there, good luck.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Shit. It's delivered to Scotland,and in Arkansas I'm waiting till the 5th. Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two days from everywhere!
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

McButton wrote:
ndavis86 wrote:

Years ago before I lived in Denver, I bought a few indie store only releases from Twist and Shout by phone, plus like ndavis86 said, they have quite a few of 'em, so I'd try there, good luck.

Success! Twist & Shout shipped to me. Thanks for the head's up ndavis86!