English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by brett27295 »

notdaryet wrote:1. does anyone know what the bonus tracks are yet?
2. does anyone know if they will be available on lossless? i seem to remember the Go-Go Boots vinyl download code including a lossless option (and that had a bonus track, of course).

I don't think anyone knows the answer to those two questions....if so I haven't seen them. I like the idea of a preorder bonus, but at the same time I prefer to know what the bonus will be. The difference in price between the DBT store and say Best Buy is $10+ on the vinyl. Not a big deal, but then again that's half the cost of a show poster....which I always buy. A penny saved is a penny earned...and spent somewhere else lol.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

the track listing would be nice...

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

UncleFrank1990 wrote:Five bucks says it's Rod Stewart and Elton John. My dad's told me the old rumors.

Except Rod Stewart's Scottish.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Till He's Dead Or Rises is really moving up fast to one of my favorite songs on the album

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2 ... ceans.html

Bummed that the tracking noise is still apparent on First Air of Autumn and Natural Light. Surprised that flew under the radar.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

maxjkugel wrote:http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2014/02/album-stream-drive-by-truckers---english-oceans.html

Bummed that the tracking noise is still apparent on First Air of Autumn and Natural Light. Surprised that flew under the radar.

Yeah, I can't unhear it.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

docturk

Post by docturk »

maxjkugel wrote:http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2014/02/album-stream-drive-by-truckers---english-oceans.html

This can't seriously be real? Or is this some kind of style aesthetic i'm completely unaware of?

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

It's unfortunate because those are two of my favorite songs on the album. I'm really surprised no one caught onto that.

Shoggoth

Post by Shoggoth »

That sort of interference/hiss/crackle is in vogue now. It's known as "vintage".

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shoggoth wrote:that sort of interference/hiss/crackle is in vogue now.

On Natural Light, it's at the exact right frequency to vibrate the fillings in my teeth. I can barely listen to it

Does anyone have audio software that could pinpoint (and remove) that squeal?

Shoggoth

Post by Shoggoth »

I've listened to it on a pair of AKG 240's and HD600's, and find it minimally intrusive. Everyone is different though. That said, those two cans are pretty darn revealing.

By the way, did anyone else notice that "Grand Canyon" is not on the stream? The album ends at "First Air of Autumn". If so, good choice. Grand Canyon, while I like it, tries to do a bit too much.

The stream also sounds better than the rip. What a fantastic album.

linkous

Post by linkous »

And the intro to Pauline Hawkins that I have mentioned a couple of times now ( and which nobody else but me seems to have commented on :D ) still sounds distorted at a couple of points (especially when Jay plays a low note on the piano) - I am now hoping that perhaps they have kept it in deliberately because they felt they nailed that performance and if so I kinda like that idea.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Speculation from songs that have been played at Cooley / Hood solo shows this past year:

Drinking Coke and Eating Ice (Cooley)
(If I Was) Jimmy Page (Dragon Pants?) (Hood)
Rock Solid Kind Of Dude (Hood)

All I can think of, anyone else have any ideas?
I'm too lazy to go hunting through this or prior threads...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beaver Brown Budget?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

6X9?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Clams

Post by Clams »

docturk wrote:

This can't seriously be real? Or is this some kind of style aesthetic i'm completely unaware of?

Yeah I haven't noticed any sound issues on those two songs, they sound perfectly fine to my (admittedly untrained) ears. I do believe Pauline Hawkins sounds kind of quiet and muddled though, especially the the first 30 seconds before the rock kicks in.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's a very high pitched squeal on those tracks. Maybe those of you who have been to a few too many rock shows no longer have the capability of hearing that frequency :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:It's a very high pitched squeal on those tracks. Maybe those of you who have been to a few too many rock shows no longer have the capability of hearing that frequency :lol:

I don't hear it either. Could be the Rock Shows. Don't know.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

gotta be the 50 sum DBT shows ive seen as well :D

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Must be the Beaver Brown budget

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

From Patterson:

Y'all,

Just touching base concerning some comments about the various streams and leaks of ENGLISH OCEANS.
I checked out the Paste stream folks have been commenting on.
While I didn't on my stereo hear the noises folks have been commenting on, it is very trebley (is that a word?) and harsh.
Overly crispy. I can assure you that the CD and especially Vinyl does not sound that way.

Most of Y'all have been listening to leaked digital format versions of the album that came from Godonlyknowswhere.
I would hope that no one is measuring the sound quality of the finished album by those standards.
We went to great lengths to make as fine a sounding Rock record as humanly possible and I hope folks who have been listening to leaked copies will go out and support us by getting the real thing next week when it's available.
We have no control over the sound of leaked (and often technically
illegal) copies of the album.
Glad that most have been liking it and we look forward to seeing you all at The Rock Show.
Best Regards,
Patterson
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

No complaints here! The Paste stream of English Oceans sounds like beautiful music to my ears...
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Damn, I was hoping he was going to reveal what the bonus tracks are. I guess they're keeping those under pretty tight wraps.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

I love Patterson. Acknowledging the leaks as a force of nature and not really judging those who have heard them, and subtly reminding us that the actual real version sounds way better, so buy that. So cool of a major rock band to understand this stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kinda glad I preordered the CD. With GGB, I just bought it off Amazon after it was released and only had the MP3 versions.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Great, long review/article on EO and DBT in Paste: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... lling.html

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:Kinda glad I preordered the CD. With GGB, I just bought it off Amazon after it was released and only had the MP3 versions.

I'm kind of grinding my gears on this. I want the vinyl and I'm trying to convince myself I can afford to drop $35 on it. Someone convince me. It won't take much.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kevidently wrote:I love Patterson. Acknowledging the leaks as a force of nature and not really judging those who have heard them, and subtly reminding us that the actual real version sounds way better, so buy that. So cool of a major rock band to understand this stuff.

That's how he was about the last one, which I don't think they were so easy about getting leaked.

If I remember what he said from on stage in Athens correctly, it was along the lines of, "If there was a band I really loved and I could get a leak of their new record, I guess I'd get it and listen to it. And I'd sure as fuck buy it when it came out legitimately."

And you know, who wouldn't? Someone who doesn't care, that's who. When a friend not on the board sent me a link, I sure listened to it. And I'm buying a copy.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I really appreciate that Patterson responded about the sound quality. I am absolutely reserving judgment for the official release. The only reason many of us even brought up the sound quality is because every DBT record (esp. those produced by Barbe) are impeccably recorded, produced and mixed.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

ramonz wrote:Great, long review/article on EO and DBT in Paste: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... lling.html

That is a GREAT article