English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

!

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:
RevMatt wrote:I don't want to spell out too much on the board because 1) I could be totally wrong, 2) if my hunch is right the song is dealing with the personal lives of semi, sorta public figures and 3) if I go line by line and I am wrong about who the song is about then I am the ass named Jimmy.

bullshit. spill it.

Nothing to spill. Scathing song about a musician named Jimmy with the type of problems that only come from female drama. A cryptic second verse that is scathing as hell. A title character who happens to share the same first name as the title character of a song recorded by two former band members who recently wrote two scathing songs about their former employer. Sort of thing that makes me go hmmmm.... Figure out the rest. If I am right it is all there, even the parts where you would have had to have been a fly on the wall to know about. If I am wrong it is a GREAT song nonetheless.

The song is strong as hell and the lyric stands on its own regardless of who inspired it.

Bust out the math, Rev. Numbers talk!
If you don't run you rust

Lester N Thelake

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Lester N Thelake »

Ahh...thanks folks. I was lost.

walthers

Post by walthers »

A couple friends were over last night and we got to discussing this song. We all three agreed that it is a scathing g song but thought that the said person receiving the scathing might be too obvious. We did not touch on what the differnt interpretations of "loud" could be. That is interesting. Needs a few more listens with that in mind.

RevMatt

Re: !

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:Bust out the math, Rev. Numbers talk!

If this album was a math test my eyes would be on Cooley's paper. If shit shots count my A would be just as valid as his. Somebody said if Charlie Parker was a gunslinger there would be a lot of dead copycats. I'll get back to you on how many dead copycats after I write up the equation. After all, this is a word problem.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Change of topic.

First Air of Autumn

First air of autumn up your nose
Popcorn, heavy hairspray and nylon pantyhose
Please stand and bow your heads and pray you don’t get old

The nurture and the admonition of your kind
The rules of only strong survive
Cross shaped swimming pools down in the blood and lifted up
Forever seeking favor from the mind (mine?)

Schoolhouse hallway like a prairie highway sprawls
The drop off spins away the sun
The getting there just proves its nothing but a ball
Pray the horizon never comes

The hearts of the daughters of the men
Won by the softness of the sons of women’s hands
To leave it up to love would leave it left to chance

Memory only shows the promise beauty broke
A beauty ageless in its time
Light attracts the same you glance away and the glory fades
And being on your arm has lost its shine

Schoolhouse hallway like a prairie highway sprawls
The drop off spins away the sun
Like eyes that once could cut through candle power on autumn nights
First air of autumn leaves me numb

I think this is an amazing lyric and nothing like Cooley's ever written previously. Maybe a little bit like "Space City". That's the only other lyric in his book that comes close though musically it comes from the same place as "Cartoon Gold", "Pulaski" and "Made Up English Oceans".
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Smitty wrote:
Lester N Thelake wrote:Little lyric help. On SS count, somebody's got to mop up the _____. Somebody's got to mop up the blood. I'll hang up and listen to your answer. Oh, and listening to Walter today I heard Benmont Tench. I know it was Jay but man was he channeling BT. This whole Petty talk just keeps picking up steam. Not a bad thing either. Worse piano players to sound like.

Oh...I just keep thinking this thing will sound amazing on vinyl. Can't wait.

the A1.

Got a feeling I'll regret asking, but A1 is....?

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

A1 is a mass produced steak sauce made in the United States.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Thanks! One of things I love dearly about DBT is that their songs are universal - they're about people like I know in situations I can relate to but they're firmly rooted in a place they're completely familiar with and the little details, that I don't always get from a cultural perspective, just help bring them alive. Someone mentioned it about a TV show in When Walter Went Crazy. I Googled that but it's probably not the same as being around it every day.

delvis

Post by delvis »

this is weird, but i'll throw it out there.

I get a Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin/Yoshemi era vibe from Pauline Hawkins.

also, When Walter Went Crazy is a beautiful piece of music. I don't see it getting much credit yet.

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

dime in the gutter wrote:big star vibe on patterson tunes.

or am i stating the already obvious?

I was thinking the same thing.

RMD

Post by RMD »

After a few listens I feel without question this is their most solid record since TDS. I will not go into a song by song breakdown as of yet but Shit Shots is right up there with Cooley's best rockers and one of DBT's best album openers. I cannot wait to have this release in my hands.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:"Primer Coat" is more Tom Petty than Tom Petty.

So who's playing the Rickenbacker?
Dave

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Musically, I hear a lot of Perfect Timing in First Air of Autumn.

Definitely hear some Big Star influence in Hanging On.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

pre-ordered! psyched

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

thedudeabides wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:big star vibe on patterson tunes.

or am i stating the already obvious?

I was thinking the same thing.

The Big Star influence is readily apparent. There are lot's of very interesting sonic textures being experimented with on this set of songs.
Keep calm and have a cigar

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Does anyone know if "when Walter Went Crazy" was actually a Christmas Song???
Seems to fit the season for me right now...

Just Kidding, but damn, i'm feeling Walter a little bit right now.
Think i need me an XMas Filter...
Cheers Y'all,
thanks to 3DD and the DBT for my early Christmas Present.

Back to the regularly scheduled discussion...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Southern IL Trucker

Post by Southern IL Trucker »

The part of him
Hearing Jimmy loud
Primer coat

I made a 13 hour drive and just let the album loop. I would rank it in my top 5 DBT records. This next tour is going to be epic!

Dirty South
DD
SRO
BTCD
Pizza
EO

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:Musically, I hear a lot of Perfect Timing in First Air of Autumn.

Matt's bass playing is great on that song.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Southern IL Trucker wrote:The part of him
Hearing Jimmy loud
Primer coat

I made a 13 hour drive and just let the album loop. I would rank it in my top 5 DBT records. This next tour is going to be epic!

Dirty South
DD
SRO
BTCD
Pizza
EO

You might want to get some math tutoring from Rev Matt. :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

If I put together some tabs, should I leave them here or in the tab section?
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Southern IL Trucker

Post by Southern IL Trucker »

That my friend is what happens when you post while drinking over the holidays :lol:

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

LastLawson wrote:If I put together some tabs, should I leave them here or in the tab section?

Tabs in the tab section---WTF
Always go to the show

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Jonicont wrote:
LastLawson wrote:If I put together some tabs, should I leave them here or in the tab section?

Just in case you wanted spoilers contained in this thread...
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

teethdream

Post by teethdream »

I've been lurking on and off since around when The Big To-Do came out, but decided to finally register.

The boys NAILED this one. I loved it on first listen and it just keeps growing on me more and more. Favorite track right now is probably Pauline Hawkins or Shit Shots Count. Really excited to hear this one on vinyl.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I don't have Sirius in my work truck, and since mainstream radio is so bad, I usually listen to sports talk. Well after the Raven's debacle against the Pats, I couldn't bear to listen to that; so I listened to DC101 on Monday morning. DC101 has become unlistenable. They play shit like Panic @ the Disco & Mumford & Sons & sprinkle in an occasional 90's tune. I was just about to turn the radio off & just listen to the tires roll down the road, when the dj said here's some new J. Roddy & the Business. That took me by surprise, as I never thought I'd ever hear them even on Sirius. It was Heavy Bells off their new CD.

That got me thinkin'. I check out a ton of Youtube videos & for the last month or so, damn near half of the clips I've looked at have had J. Roddy's new CD advertised @ the beginning. It doesn't matter what genre of music I picked, J. Roddy & the Business was usually the first thing I saw. Apparently, that tactic worked for them. If it worked for J. Roddy it might also be a strategy that DBT could use. Maybe in February they should inundate Youtube w/ads for EO & build up a real buzz. Just a thought.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

LastLawson wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

Just in case you wanted spoilers contained in this thread...

Kudzu will hunt you down.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'd resisted asking for a copy--"Should I get married? Should I be good?" Well, I tried--but then a friend not from the board sent me a link, so I assume it's gotten around pretty well. And I decided to download it after all, but then apparently the download didn't start, and here I am now on metered internet. Possibly that's just as well, because I was going to burn it to disk and listen to it in the car while my daughter and I are on our way from my in-laws' to our friends'. If I manage to do that, are there any tracks I should skip for her ten-and-a-half-year-old ears?

And that I got that link in the way I did put in perspective the actually very few (relatively speaking) people who appear to have shown up just looking. There were what, a dozen? Twenty? And I accept several of them have been here lurking. So it's not that many, in the larger sense of things.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'd resisted asking for a copy--"Should I get married? Should I be good?" Well, I tried--but then a friend not from the board sent me a link, so I assume it's gotten around pretty well. And I decided to download it after all, but then apparently the download didn't start, and here I am now on metered internet. Possibly that's just as well, because I was going to burn it to disk and listen to it in the car while my daughter and I are on our way from my in-laws' to our friends'. If I manage to do that, are there any tracks I should skip for her ten-and-a-half-year-old ears?

And that I got that link in the way I did put in perspective the actually very few (relatively speaking) people who appear to have shown up just looking. There were what, a dozen? Twenty? And I accept several of them have been here lurking. So it's not that many, in the larger sense of things.

Off the top of my head, Shit Shot Counts (obviously) is the only tune with repeated curse words
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'd resisted asking for a copy--"Should I get married? Should I be good?" Well, I tried--but then a friend not from the board sent me a link, so I assume it's gotten around pretty well. And I decided to download it after all, but then apparently the download didn't start, and here I am now on metered internet. Possibly that's just as well, because I was going to burn it to disk and listen to it in the car while my daughter and I are on our way from my in-laws' to our friends'. If I manage to do that, are there any tracks I should skip for her ten-and-a-half-year-old ears?

Off the top of my head, Shit Shot Counts (obviously) is the only tune with repeated curse words

I do skip Assholes when we're listening in the car, but I'm more enthusiastic about skipping Go-Go Boots and The Fireplace Poker, and I let Used To Be A Cop play through, if that gives you some idea.

(When I told Cooley my daughter said that Gravity's Gone was her favorite thing except for cotton candy, that tickled him. Her mom listened to it, looked at the lyric sheet, and said, "There's nothing wrong with champaign and jobs." I had good reason for marrying her, don'tcha know.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be