English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BiloxiParish

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by BiloxiParish »

I honestly can't wait to read the track by track guide Hood usually does to these songs. Will Grand Canyon be the new show closing song, taking the place of Angels Fuselage.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Til He's Dead Or Rises is great. Very Stonesy. The first time I head it I spent some time going back and forth in my mind about whether it sounded more like a Patterson or Cooley song. At this point I already can't imagine anybody but Cooley singing it. Big props to Patterson for being big enough to not let his ego get in the way there. Few in the music biz would have been able to make that move. Just for kicks I would like to hear Patterson sing it at some point.

I ought to just stay away from this but I don't think anybody is trying to be a jerk or stingy about sharing the leak.

I feel extremely privileged to have it myself but as open as this crowd is, there is something to be said for being part of the family. I don't mean that in an exclusionary way. All I mean is, if so embody just comes out of the woodwork and could be here today gone tomorrow, it's hard to feel like they want to be a part of th board and more like they are just here to take with no intention of giving. I ain't in charge of nothin. But you have to understand, while this is a pretty welcoming group of people, over time folks get to know each other, either online or in real life, friendships are formed, and just giving something like this out willy nilly to all comers kind of cheapens that. Just my two cents.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

This whole sharing the leak thing transcends the internet and/or message boards. If I "know" you, then I feel comfortable sharing something with you. If I don't "know" you, I don't and won't. It's pretty simple and straightforward. And, like many things in life, when you don't get what you want, you get mad/frustrated, and, in some cases, bitch & complain. Basically, it's Human Nature 101.

*Edited to make more sense (typo of this when I meant thing. See bold)
Last edited by cortez the killer on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

To me the important thing to remember is that this early listen is a privilege, no matter where it came from.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

trashman

Post by trashman »

All this reading about this new album is getting my psyched for March. I have a question for people who have heard it, if you could compare it to any of their older albums which would it be? Sorry if this question has been asked.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

trashman wrote:All this reading about this new album is getting my psyched for March. I have a question for people who have heard it, if you could compare it to any of their older albums which would it be? Sorry if this question has been asked.

Musically, I'd say ABAAC. Lyrically I'd say Decoration Day, as the songs are paired together by subject, with different takes by Cooley & Hood.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

OK.

Different people absorb new albums differently. Redundancy aside, I'd like to state for the record that, considering the fact that no one has spent more than a maximum of four days with this album, y'all might be getting a little bit ahead of yourselves. Personally I'd wait a few months before declaring EO "DBT's Some Girls" or what not. See how it shakes out and all that.

That said, I have two comments to put forth at this early stage:

1) Grand Canyon... holy shit.
2) Though a few have mentioned it as a weak point, the song that's stuck with me the most after the first couple of listens is Hanging On. Something we've never heard before from DBT, in a very good way.

That's all for now.

Edit: Actually no. One more thing. Sounds better when I'm drunk. But that's nothing new for DBT. Now I'm done.
Last edited by Jack Flash on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Southern IL Trucker

Post by Southern IL Trucker »

It is like daddy told you growing up respect you elders. On the message board age is determined by the amount of post. This is a great site and I also tell others about it when I engage them in DBT discussions.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

trashman wrote:All this reading about this new album is getting my psyched for March. I have a question for people who have heard it, if you could compare it to any of their older albums which would it be? Sorry if this question has been asked.

Man that's tough. I have only spent a short amount of time with it but right now it's tough to compare it with anything.

There are specific moments that remind me of things but its not like it is retread at all. Primer Coat reminds me a little of Carl Perkins' Caddy as far as tempo etc but it is still a much different song.

Grand Canyon has so e Angels and Fuselage feel to it but it is something wholly original. I heard the version. Patterson did solo at Craig's memorial (on youtube. I wasn't there.) and wondered what it would sound like with a full band. Boy howdy it is something to behold.

Shit Shots Count is sort of Three Dimes Down's meaner, rowdier, cousin.

That's really the best I can do. I agree that as an album it maybe comes closest in overall sound to ABAAC but that's not exactly right. It's much better than that record and this is from somebody who likes that one a lot.

I feel like I've wasted your time because honestly it doesn't sound like anything we've heard from them before.

What I can say with absolute certainty is; A. It is very, very good. B. it has a heavy Stones feel on th Cooley songs. C. Somebody said earlier in the thread that Jay has never been utilized so well before. That'sso true. He really shines here. The piano parts that does add so much. I like piano more than organ / keyboard and he rocks on that piano. And finally D. I think we are all so stoked to have so many Cooley songs that something that has gotten lost so far is that this is a very strong record for Patterson.

Hope so e of that helps.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:To me the important thing to remember is that this early listen is a privilege, no matter where it came from.

That's right.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:To me the important thing to remember is that this early listen is a privilege, no matter where it came from.

Yes.
Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Southern IL Trucker wrote:It is like daddy told you growing up respect you elders. On the message board age is determined by the amount of post.

I can't say that I agree with that at all. Maybe I'm in the minority but I pay little to no attention to the number of posts a person has but I do pay attention to the content of their posts.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

When they played one of the new songs on KEXP, the DJ said "Jason Isbell's former band". Up till the release and success of "Southeastern", Isbell was always a former Drive-by Trucker. This album is a statement. DBT aint' going no where!

Hud

Post by Hud »

All I can say is THANK YOU for the new tunes availability at this stressful time of year. Though it's been a tough year, it has been a great year. I can't wait to hear the new songs live and stoked that I will already be familiar with them in Ashville. Being able to hear the lp early is the icing on the cake for the year of '13'. THANK you to everyone that make this board happen, you ROCK.

May the forest be with you!

And MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

Hello friends,

Been away from posting for a bit. Let me assure that I am NOT going to ask for a PM. :)
Already pre-ordered the vinyl and am looking forward to Christmas in March. This is an awesome thread and I'm really excited about this album. I have been both following the thread and "skimming" because I truly don't want to know too much until I have the album in-hand.

Not going to enter the fray on who deserves anything....only want to state that I always enjoy reading the intelligent, thoughtful and informed posts of the "regulars", even if I don't do a lot of substantive posting myself. I originally found this board thanks to Jenn posting a link to an incredible BeanTown Bubba post about Homecoming a few years back.

I am devastated to miss Homecoming due to a VERY ill-timed wedding. I will also miss Asheville due to a prior commitment. I am hoping for some more close, southeastern shows this spring.

That is all. Please continue the lively discourse!! :D
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

If anybody has any photos of naked chicks, especially steam punk belly dancers, will you please send me a pm? I've got over 3,000 posts and promise to buy the pics once they appear in Penthouse.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Did you pre order the Steam Punk Belly Dancers First?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:

Man that's tough. I have only spent a short amount of time with it but right now it's tough to compare it with anything.

There are specific moments that remind me of things but its not like it is retread at all. Primer Coat reminds me a little of Carl Perkins' Caddy as far as tempo etc but it is still a much different song.

Grand Canyon has so e Angels and Fuselage feel to it but it is something wholly original. I heard the version. Patterson did solo at Craig's memorial (on youtube. I wasn't there.) and wondered what it would sound like with a full band. Boy howdy it is something to behold.

Shit Shots Count is sort of Three Dimes Down's meaner, rowdier, cousin.

That's really the best I can do. I agree that as an album it maybe comes closest in overall sound to ABAAC but that's not exactly right. It's much better than that record and this is from somebody who likes that one a lot.

I feel like I've wasted your time because honestly it doesn't sound like anything we've heard from them before.

What I can say with absolute certainty is; A. It is very, very good. B. it has a heavy Stones feel on th Cooley songs. C. Somebody said earlier in the thread that Jay has never been utilized so well before. That'sso true. He really shines here. The piano parts that does add so much. I like piano more than organ / keyboard and he rocks on that piano. And finally D. I think we are all so stoked to have so many Cooley songs that something that has gotten lost so far is that this is a very strong record for Patterson.

Hope so e of that helps.

I more or less agree w/ this but if I were to give an overall impression rather than a song by song comparison, I'd say that the beauty of the album is that it doesn't sound like any of the others yet still is very much a DBT album. Because it is a DBT album and the songs are written by Hood and Cooley of course there are going to be similarities to other songs they've recorded over the years. But this band sounds different and this album sounds different. Pretty early in this thread after the leak I quoted TC to the effect that the album displays all kinds of growth and evolution of the band while staying true to its roots and traditional sound. I think that's true and i think it's the best description of the album - you'll "recognize" it but you won't yawn and say "been there done that."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:This whole sharing the leak thing transcends the internet and/or message boards. If I "know" you, then I feel comfortable sharing something with you. If I don't "know" you, I don't and won't. It's pretty simple and straightforward. And, like many things in life, when you don't get what you want, you get mad/frustrated, and, in some cases, bitch & complain. Basically, it's Human Nature 101.

*Edited to make more sense (typo of this when I meant thing. See bold)

Quoted for truth (but I don't think it's complete).

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

BiloxiParish wrote:Did you pre order the Steam Punk Belly Dancers First?

Pre-order? Shit, I'm the producer.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Once again bubba does a better job of saying what I was trying to say than I did.

It is a very DBT record. But it doesn't sou d like anything they've done before.

nowigotworry

Post by nowigotworry »

Considering that DBT is my favorite band of the last 20 years, I'm going to try to be as objective as possible, which I feel like is something that is sorely missing from most of these posts thus far...

I feel like it is way too early to be declaring it "their best album since _________." I remember some very similar (nearly identical) comments when Go-Go Boots was first leaked, and hardly anyone considers that one of the best DBT albums anymore. The initial excitement of new music can have a huge influence on one's opinion of it.

That being said, there are some things to be excited about. The first three tracks are at a level of quality that DBT has not consistently achieved for a while, now. They definitely start the album off on a strong note.

Many of Cooley's songs are some of the best he's written in years. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I love all of them except for "Made Up of English Oceans" (which is still good) and "Til He's Dead or Rises" (which I could pick out as a Patterson song from a mile away).

I've always loved both Hood and Cooley, but pre-2010, I would have definitely picked Hood as my favorite if I had to make the choice. He's just written so many great songs over the years, many of which I consider some of my favorites of all time. Something happened around The Big To-Do, however, and ever since then very few of his songs have connected with me at all. I find many of them to be to be dull, predictable, and unmoving both in terms of music and lyrics. Overall, I would say this album continues that trend. I do like "When He's Gone" and "Grand Canyon," but the others ("Til He's Dead or Rises" included) don't do much for me at all. I don't like the sound and they just don't hit me in the gut like most of his songs used to.

This is all my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'm hoping that most of you will spare the attacks, remembering this.

In the end, I'm glad the album has arrived, and I think there's a good chance that I like it better than the last two. To say it's their best album since The Dirty South goes too far, in my opinion. I think BTCD and even ABAAC are still much stronger (the latter of which I've always thought is a great album besides the two Jason tracks and maybe the title cut). I do think people need to step back and let this one sink in a little longer before engaging in any kind of further hyperbolic statements.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

nowigotworry wrote:Considering that DBT is my favorite band of the last 20 years, I'm going to try to be as objective as possible, which I feel like is something that is sorely missing from most of these posts thus far...

I feel like it is way too early to be declaring it "their best album since _________." I remember some very similar (nearly identical) comments when Go-Go Boots was first leaked, and hardly anyone considers that one of the best DBT albums anymore. The initial excitement of new music can have a huge influence on one's opinion of it.

That being said, there are some things to be excited about. The first three tracks are at a level of quality that DBT has not consistently achieved for a while, now. They definitely start the album off on a strong note.

Many of Cooley's songs are some of the best he's written in years. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I love all of them except for "Made Up of English Oceans" (which is still good) and "Til He's Dead or Rises" (which I could pick out as a Patterson song from a mile away).

I've always loved both Hood and Cooley, but pre-2010, I would have definitely picked Hood as my favorite if I had to make the choice. He's just written so many great songs over the years, many of which I consider some of my favorites of all time. Something happened around The Big To-Do, however, and ever since then very few of his songs have connected with me at all. I find many of them to be to be dull, predictable, and unmoving both in terms of music and lyrics. Overall, I would say this album continues that trend. I do like "When He's Gone" and "Grand Canyon," but the others ("Til He's Dead or Rises" included) don't do much for me at all. I don't like the sound and they just don't hit me in the gut like most of his songs used to.

This is all my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'm hoping that most of you will spare the attacks, remembering this.

In the end, I'm glad the album has arrived, and I think there's a good chance that I like it better than the last two. To say it's their best album since The Dirty South goes too far, in my opinion. I think BTCD and even ABAAC are still much stronger (the latter of which I've always thought is a great album besides the two Jason tracks and maybe the title cut). I do think people need to step back and let this one sink in a little longer before engaging in any kind of further hyperbolic statements.

Ah some dissent. I don't think you are gonna get beat up for it nor should you. As you say, it is your opinion.

You are right that it is probably too early to be real objective. But I do know for a fact that I am much more excited about this record than I was with either of the last two after the same number of listens.

I knew very early that TBTD and GGB were not going to be among my favorites.

I like ABAAC a lot. Including the Jason songs. But I think this one is better by a good deal. Time will tell. I didn't love BTCD at first but I do now. I love this one already. I think it was obvious to me early which songs onBTCD were the weak links in the chain. There are no songs on this record that I don't like. Will that change? We shall see. But I don't think so.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Shit Shots Count - love the Holidays in the Sun comment. Spot on. Brad's sticks replacing the marching boots. Love it. Pretty much a universal groove, as much rock and roll as Pistols or DBT or Stones. So full of Cooleyisms it should be illegal. Fantastic opener and will clearly be a live staple - with or without the horns!

When He's Gone - has got an After The Scene Dies vibe in first 30. There's something with "12:01" cooking at the end, about sliding into bed, but I'm thinking it's a much healthier scene than the "it's over" of 12:01. Classic DBT sound, with the "mean" guitars that hooked so many of us back in the day. Could see it easily fitting perfectly into the live show, especially with an added solo at the end.

Primer Coat - World Leader Pretend vibe early on maybe? Was my favorite of the two KEXP streams. Love the strength of a woman/fragility of a man thing going, and the middle age thing. Seems like yesterday we were 18, right? "Her mother and I through trembling lips".....damn. Not sure exactly what that means, but marriage is not easy, and that line hits me pretty hard. Damn fine guitar work. As someone said, you can imagine this one kicking it up a notch and being sick live. And someone said the vocals were up front (yes), which is a bit different than with SSC, where they seem to be less so. Interesting. Love this song.

Pauline Hawkins - absolutely has the Betty Ford thing going, which I love. That was one of my favorites from HL. So far it's not hitting me like it is for some of you, but as is always the case, it will likely be my #1 in a week or a month or a year. Love that about DBT. The Layla thing is a cool twist - it works! Agree with the comments about Jay tickling the ivories piano-style vs. organ. Would like to see him explore that a bit more. And the ending ("well, we're not sure how to end this, and this is the first take"....) is perfect.

Made Up English Oceans - I'm a sucker for that kind of groove. This is one that (so far) is more about the music than the lyrics for me. I know what it's about, and think it's an interesting topic, but until I can see the lyrics and let them really sink in, it's the chugalug that's connecting w/me. But I will say, love the finality of the end ("......they just claw their skin and grind their teeth, and ball."

The Part of Him - very PH solo flavor. A classic grower, for me. Sounds like same topic as MUEO. Opening reminds me of an old song that I cannot pin down just yet. Sweet Cooley (I'm guessing) banjo. "Phony-an" Guess he's talking about Atwater (who I remember), but not sure yet what the title really means.

Hearing Jimmy Loud - like it better each time I hear it, but it didn't connect w/ me right away. Need to see the lyrics, I think, to really connect. Damn fine guitar work for sure.

Til He's Dead or Rises - Jay's all over this one - very nice. Don't know all the words yet, but from the chorus, guessing I can relate! Put aside the novelty of the PH written, MC sung thing, and I'm wondering how/if this will fit into the live show. It's got a raucous feel to it that you could see the band digging - and it's kind of cool to have a your baby/my baby vibe. But who plays the first notes live to start the song?! :lol:

Hanging On - Jesus, this one is so sparse and gorgeous. One of my favorites from the album. So many of my favorite things about PH songs are in here.

Natural Light - fucking love the EZB taskmaster intro. This has such a different sound/feel (from traditional DBT). I am intrigued and impressed and thinking "Damn it Cooley, bring this shit more often!" Seems as different to my ears as Flying Wallendas did on TBTD, but I can relate to this (musically) much more. Jay's piano is front and center and fantastic. I can't pinpoint exactly where this is falling in my "what does it remind me of," but there's some beautiful Leon Russell/Stones/JJ Cale stuff going on for sure.

When Walter Went Crazy - to me, as good as Patterson gets. Seriously. This is the shit that locked me in years ago and padlocks me to this day. There's some crying guitar in here that makes me wonder how Neff's pedal steel would sound, but I wouldn't change a thing.

First Air of Autumn - maybe my favorite so far. Knew this one was special during the Cooley solo shows. More about us forty-somethings stepping lightly into middle age. It's who we are right now. Embrace it. Can't slow it down, so jump in and don't miss a beat. The end reminds me of when, in Secret to a Happy Ending, MC sort of seems transfixed during the end of Space City - and there's that moment of clarity when it's over.

Grand Canyon - what can you say? I couldn't find a way to make it to the Craig tribute, but knew from the video that GC was special. Loved Zip's "we" analysis - so true. This life that we chose. Greythoven. I lift my glass and smile. Pretty much perfect.

Does EO dare to reach for the rarified air of the Holy Trinity? Um, yes. If it's not walking right through the door, it's at the very least knocking on the door. And that's an extraordinary thing.

PS - thank you Matt.

PPS - Brake lights/tail lights, hands shake/trembling lips, apron strings (x2), sneaky politicos, etc. - Patterson and Cooley speaking the same language a la TDS. Word.
Last edited by ramonz on Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

nowigotworry has 9 posts ... watever man ur opinion is...... im takin the high road

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

ramonz wrote:Shit Shots Count - love the Holidays in the Sun comment. Spot on. Brad's sticks replacing the marching boots. Love it. Pretty much a universal groove, as much rock and roll as Pistols or DBT or Stones. So full of Cooleyisms it should be illegal. Fantastic opener and will clearly be a live staple - with or without the horns!

When He's Gone - has got an After The Scene Dies vibe in first 30. There's something with "12:01" cooking at the end, about sliding into bed, but I'm thinking it's a much healthier scene than the "it's over" of 12:01. Classic DBT sound, with the "mean" guitars that hooked so many of us back in the day. Could see it easily fitting perfectly into the live show, especially with an added solo at the end.

Primer Coat - World Leader Pretend vibe early on maybe? Was my favorite of the two KEXP streams. Love the strength of a woman/fragility of a man thing going, and the middle age thing. Seems like yesterday we were 18, right? "Her mother and I through trembling lips".....damn. Not sure exactly what that means, but marriage is not easy, and that line hits me pretty hard. Damn fine guitar work. As someone said, you can imagine this one kicking it up a notch and being sick live. And someone said the vocals were up front (yes), which is a bit different than with SSC, where they seem to be less so. Interesting. Love this song.

Pauline Hawkins - absolutely has the Betty Ford thing going, which I love. That was one of my favorites from HL. So far it's not hitting me like it is for some of you, but as is always the case, it will likely be my #1 in a week or a month or a year. Love that about DBT. The Layla thing is a cool twist - it works! Agree with the comments about Jay tickling the ivories piano-style vs. organ. Would like to see him explore that a bit more. And the ending ("well, we're not sure how to end this, and this is the first take"....) is perfect.

Made Up English Oceans - I'm a sucker for that kind of groove. This is one that (so far) is more about the music than the lyrics for me. I know what it's about, and think it's an interesting topic, but until I can see the lyrics and let them really sink in, it's the chugalug that's connecting w/me. But I will say, love the finality of the end ("......they just claw their skin and grind their teeth, and ball."

The Part of Him - very PH solo flavor. A classic grower, for me. Sounds like same topic as MUEO. Opening reminds me of an old song that I cannot pin down just yet. Sweet Cooley (I'm guessing) banjo. "Phony-an" Guess he's talking about Atwater (who I remember), but not sure yet what the title really means.

Hearing Jimmy Loud - like it better each time I hear it, but it didn't connect w/ me right away. Need to see the lyrics, I think, to really connect. Damn fine guitar work for sure.

Til He's Dead or Rises - Jay's all over this one - very nice. Don't know all the words yet, but from the chorus, guessing I can relate! Put aside the novelty of the PH written, MC sung thing, and I'm wondering how/if this will fit into the live show. It's got a raucous feel to it that you could see the band digging - and it's kind of cool to have a your baby/my baby vibe. But who plays the first notes live to start the song?! :lol:

Hanging On - Jesus, this one is so sparse and gorgeous. One of my favorites from the album. So many of my favorite things about PH songs are in here.

Natural Light - fucking love the EZB taskmaster intro. This has such a different sound/feel (from traditional DBT). I am intrigued and impressed and thinking "Damn it Cooley, bring this shit more often!" Seems as different to my ears as Flying Wallendas did on TBTD, but I can relate to this (musically) much more. Jay's piano is front and center and fantastic. I can't pinpoint exactly where this is falling in my "what does it remind me of," but there's some beautiful Leon Russell/Stones/JJ Cale stuff going on for sure.

When Walter Went Crazy - to me, as good as Patterson gets. Seriously. This is the shit that locked me in years ago and padlocks me to this day. There's some crying guitar in here that makes me wonder how Neff's pedal steel would sound, but I wouldn't change a thing.

First Air of Autumn - maybe my favorite so far. Knew this one was special during the Cooley solo shows. More about us forty-somethings stepping lightly into middle age. It's who we are right now. Embrace it. Can't slow it down, so jump in and don't miss a beat. The end reminds me of when, in Secret to a Happy Ending, MC sort of seems transfixed during the end of Space City - and there's that moment of clarity when it's over.

Grand Canyon - what can you say? I couldn't find a way to make it to the Craig tribute, but knew from the video that GC was special. Loved Zip's "we" analysis - so true. This life that we chose. Greythoven. I lift my glass and smile. Pretty much perfect.

Does EO dare to reach for the rarified air or the Holy Trinity? Um, yes. If it's not walking right through the door, it's at the very least knocking on the door. And that's an extraordinary thing.

PS - thank you Matt.

PPS - Brake lights/tail lights, hands shake/trembling lips, apron strings (x2), sneaky politicos, etc. - Patterson and Cooley speaking the same language a la TDS. Word.

I'm gonna hold off from this for a while but really nice work.

Also, I think Til He's Dead or Rises is gonna be great in the live show. And the boys have never done anything like Natural Light before. I bet Cooley LOVES getting to do this live. The first time I heard it I thought, "man this is cool but its gonna take so e getting used to." I love it more with each listen.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

nowigotworry wrote:Considering that DBT is my favorite band of the last 20 years, I'm going to try to be as objective as possible, which I feel like is something that is sorely missing from most of these posts thus far...

I hope this encourages some more contrary opinions because statistically speaking they have to be out there.

Without in any way challenging your overall conclusions, I do wonder about your blanket statement that people are concluding too much too soon. I'd guess that between a third and half the posters who have commented on the quality/standing of the album have said that they're reserving final judgment. To me what's so interesting about this album so far is the incredibly high level of early enthusiasm compared to the past few balanced against the likelihood (certainty?) that opinions will change over time. Implicitly, that raises the question of how much first impressions should count in evaluating pop culture art like DBT albums. It seems to me that it should count for more than a little, in which case the album has already "won." But for sure it doesn't count for everything.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more from the naysayers. Don't be shy.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I think this album not only packs a great initial punch but it is also a grower. There is a whole lot of sneaky, playfulness in the arrangements that take at least five minutes to catch. "Hanging On" makes me so damn glad I bought those Centro-matic albums when he recommended them. And "Natural Light" swings like Charlie Rich playing at closing time in some roadhouse in 1968. Damn glad I copped those Charlie Rich albums in the used record bin five years ago too.

I just noticed the melotron part in "First Air of Autumn".

Another random observation -- I first heard "English Oceans" at a Cooley solo show. My impression at the time was that it reminded me of that folkie English rock that eventually morphed into prog in the 1970's -- Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull and the like. I think there is definitely a British thing going on in both "English Oceans" and "First Air of Autumn".

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Smitty wrote:
SouthernFriedCanuck wrote:I am saddened by all of this. If, as was suggested, we need a minimum of 250 posts to get the "leak", I would not qualify, even though I have been a member of this board since early on when it was Nine Bullets. I believe I joined in 2004 or 05. Yet posts wise I don't qualify. I'll be ordering both the disk and album, as I have done with all the DBT pre-orders. I have all their disks from the beginning, and all their albums from SRO on. I have ordered many things, including "Your Woman is a Living Thing" from ebay. Yet it was suggested that we show a receipt before getting the "leak".

I find it odd that a bunch of folks, who have received a "leak", that the majority of the board will never have access to, would come on here and go on about how great it is, and then set rules as to how the rest of us should be able to get this "leak".

"Hey, look what we got! It's so awesome! Some of us are gonna talk about how great it is, but the rest of you cannot have it!"

I feel bad coming on here and bitching about this, but this is how I feel. I love the access and info I get from this board. I love participating and reading about the early single releases that we all have access to via the radio or internet stations. But this particular thread has me feeling left out like I never have before. I understand that "leaks" apparently happen. But all this chatter between a few folks in front of so many that don't have this particular access is depressing.

Please understand I hold no bad feelings to those of you who are lucky enough to have the 'leak". I guess I just feel like I wish I had never read this thread til after I had the album.

I missed the "250 post limit", but there's a difference between someone like you (who's an established member of the board) and "BuddyChucktheCanuck" who joined last night and whose first post was about getting a PM.

Exactly this. Not that I have any say in the matter. But this.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

linkous

Post by linkous »

I think that DBT making this album available to music stations (and presumably journalists) is a master stroke. They think themselves that this a strong record, Patterson is already on record stating so. By putting it out there 3 months early it gives reviewers time to fully digest it and hopefully write the glowing reviews that (even this early) we have a hunch that it will probably deserve.
In an era when records are sometimes made available from out of nowhere with little or no advance warning (see My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Beyonce, even Bowie to a slightly lesser extent than those three - I think his album was played to groups of reviewers in strictly controlled situations with tight security to eliminate the possibility of a leak), this early availability of the record is a good tactical move. I know if I was a music journalist I would much rather have 3 months to soak up a record, rather than have my editor on my back saying "Here's the new Beyonce album, nobody knew it was even in the pipeline till this morning, give it a quick listen and I want a 1000 word review up on the website by lunchtime, otherwise those bastards at Pitchfork will beat us to the punch".