English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

delvis

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by delvis »

Well, after one listen through, I can say I am pleased to hear the 50/50 split on songwriting. the record flows well and it sounds as great as ever.
I need more time with it, but my early feelings are that this is gonna grow on me like crazy.

roland

Post by roland »

Thanks for the PMs!

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

I am saddened by all of this. If, as was suggested, we need a minimum of 250 posts to get the "leak", I would not qualify, even though I have been a member of this board since early on when it was Nine Bullets. I believe I joined in 2004 or 05. Yet posts wise I don't qualify. I'll be ordering both the disk and album, as I have done with all the DBT pre-orders. I have all their disks from the beginning, and all their albums from SRO on. I have ordered many things, including "Your Woman is a Living Thing" from ebay. Yet it was suggested that we show a receipt before getting the "leak".

I find it odd that a bunch of folks, who have received a "leak", that the majority of the board will never have access to, would come on here and go on about how great it is, and then set rules as to how the rest of us should be able to get this "leak".

"Hey, look what we got! It's so awesome! Some of us are gonna talk about how great it is, but the rest of you cannot have it!"

I feel bad coming on here and bitching about this, but this is how I feel. I love the access and info I get from this board. I love participating and reading about the early single releases that we all have access to via the radio or internet stations. But this particular thread has me feeling left out like I never have before. I understand that "leaks" apparently happen. But all this chatter between a few folks in front of so many that don't have this particular access is depressing.

Please understand I hold no bad feelings to those of you who are lucky enough to have the 'leak". I guess I just feel like I wish I had never read this thread til after I had the album.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

SouthernFriedCanuck wrote:I am saddened by all of this. If, as was suggested, we need a minimum of 250 posts to get the "leak", I would not qualify, even though I have been a member of this board since early on when it was Nine Bullets. I believe I joined in 2004 or 05. Yet posts wise I don't qualify. I'll be ordering both the disk and album, as I have done with all the DBT pre-orders. I have all their disks from the beginning, and all their albums from SRO on. I have ordered many things, including "Your Woman is a Living Thing" from ebay. Yet it was suggested that we show a receipt before getting the "leak".

I find it odd that a bunch of folks, who have received a "leak", that the majority of the board will never have access to, would come on here and go on about how great it is, and then set rules as to how the rest of us should be able to get this "leak".

"Hey, look what we got! It's so awesome! Some of us are gonna talk about how great it is, but the rest of you cannot have it!"

I feel bad coming on here and bitching about this, but this is how I feel. I love the access and info I get from this board. I love participating and reading about the early single releases that we all have access to via the radio or internet stations. But this particular thread has me feeling left out like I never have before. I understand that "leaks" apparently happen. But all this chatter between a few folks in front of so many that don't have this particular access is depressing.

Please understand I hold no bad feelings to those of you who are lucky enough to have the 'leak". I guess I just feel like I wish I had never read this thread til after I had the album.

I missed the "250 post limit", but there's a difference between someone like you (who's an established member of the board) and "BuddyChucktheCanuck" who joined last night and whose first post was about getting a PM.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bezerkerlurker

Post by bezerkerlurker »

I plan on ordering the vinyl when they get the ENGLP promo code working. I'm jealous and a little pissed that people already have this. I'm also a hypocrite and am hoping somebody can hook me up. My hard earned dough has purchased every vinyl since ABAAC including Ugly Buildings and Fool On Every Corner and for that I deserve an advance copy.

efoote

Post by efoote »

Just another longtime lurker here looking for a kind soul to send me a PM for the album. I'm not looking to wow anyone with my credentials or engage in any arguments about who deserves what, but I would love to hear the album. And then I will go about my business of continuing to spend ridiculous amounts of money supporting this band and my absurd habits.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

SouthernFriedCanuck wrote:I am saddened by all of this. If, as was suggested, we need a minimum of 250 posts to get the "leak", I would not qualify, even though I have been a member of this board since early on when it was Nine Bullets. I believe I joined in 2004 or 05. Yet posts wise I don't qualify. I'll be ordering both the disk and album, as I have done with all the DBT pre-orders. I have all their disks from the beginning, and all their albums from SRO on. I have ordered many things, including "Your Woman is a Living Thing" from ebay. Yet it was suggested that we show a receipt before getting the "leak".

no, No, NO! First of all there is no limit - that was just something somebody threw out there to make a point. Second, you are well known and recognized here and even if it's legitimate, none of this concern about one shot wonders applies to you. Not at all. I assume you got it by now. If not let me know.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I come and go posting here all the time depending on what life throws at me. I've been a DBT fan since the Isbell days when I was captivated by them at Voodoo Fest 2006 in New Orleans..

You have got to understand that there is about maybe 30 people here who post a lot, who always have amazing discussions, who always bring it to the forum. Nobody is questioning ones loyalty to DBT but when some random people show up looking for a leak to the album you have to fill somewhat violated. English Oceans is like the Everlasting Gobstopper from Willy Wonka.. Wonka gave it to the kids with the Golden Tickets, and the only one who didn't give it to old Slugworth for a million dollars was Charlie Bucket. In a way we are all Charlie Buckets...

Hell even I had to ask for a leak to it..

I am not sure who leaked the album at first, but they had to have known it was going to spread beyond the board like wildfire within a week or two..

These days a leaked album creates a buzz going fourth to that all important release date. Whoever felt like it should be leaked here knew that the folks here would certainly buy the album, travel 5 hours for a show, and also bring the hype with them across the internet..

Any ways how do you see these songs fitting up against other DBT songs on the tour?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This is actually a fairly complicated subject, unless you choose to view the world in only 2 colors. But it's obvious that this is not the time and place to coolly and analytically address the subject. In the meantime, I'm saddened by the way this has gone. In typical internet message board fashion, things get off the rails awfully fast and it's hard to put them back on. I know I've played my part and for that I apologize. But I don't know how to redirect things in a useful way, at least not right now and not quickly.

May I suggest that we take a 24 hour break from people asking for the leak and from people responding to those requests w/ demands for bona fides? I know, seems unlikely, but to my knowledge it hasn't been tried before so what the heck...

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

WTF--am I speaking fuckin' Swahili. I thought my post on the previous page was clear. Does anybody see any fuckin' rules. I don't. And I'm the only motherfucker who can make them. Now if your first post is "Hi--can I have something"--well that's pretty fuckin' rude. Try introducing yourself first. I guarantee you'll get a better reception. I'm done. Canuck--check your PM
Always go to the show

ChrisGravity

Post by ChrisGravity »

Have been listening to the album all day. Just can't get enough of it. I mean, damn, the lyrics, the f'n lyrics are so masterful it's insane. This album has made my Christmas. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Now I am going to throw on the The Dirty South dvd.

Side question: Does anyone think The Dirty South: Live at the 40Watt will be released on blu-ray or has it?

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

beantownbubba wrote:This is actually a fairly complicated subject, unless you choose to view the world in only 2 colors. But it's obvious that this is not the time and place to coolly and analytically address the subject. In the meantime, I'm saddened by the way this has gone. In typical internet message board fashion, things get off the rails awfully fast and it's hard to put them back on. I know I've played my part and for that I apologize. But I don't know how to redirect things in a useful way, at least not right now and not quickly.

May I suggest that we take a 24 hour break from people asking for the leak and from people responding to those requests w/ demands for bona fides? I know, seems unlikely, but to my knowledge it hasn't been tried before so what the heck...

x2
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

danger8504

Post by danger8504 »

BiloxiParish wrote:I come and go posting here all the time depending on what life throws at me. I've been a DBT fan since the Isbell days when I was captivated by them at Voodoo Fest 2006 in New Orleans..

You have got to understand that there is about maybe 30 people here who post a lot, who always have amazing discussions, who always bring it to the forum. Nobody is questioning ones loyalty to DBT but when some random people show up looking for a leak to the album you have to fill somewhat violated. English Oceans is like the Everlasting Gobstopper from Willy Wonka.. Wonka gave it to the kids with the Golden Tickets, and the only one who didn't give it to old Slugworth for a million dollars was Charlie Bucket. In a way we are all Charlie Buckets...

Hell even I had to ask for a leak to it..

I am not sure who leaked the album at first, but they had to have known it was going to spread beyond the board like wildfire within a week or two..

These days a leaked album creates a buzz going fourth to that all important release date. Whoever felt like it should be leaked here knew that the folks here would certainly buy the album, travel 5 hours for a show, and also bring the hype with them across the internet..

Any ways how do you see these songs fitting up against other DBT songs on the tour?

Well stated. Personally I think there are two stand out for the rock show. Grand Canyon and Shit Shot Counts.
\m/

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Right Now my unofficial list of TOP 5 DBT Albums.

1. Decoration Day
2. Southern Rock Opera
3. The Dirty South
4. English Oceans
5. Brighter than Creations Dark

I can't wait to hear Natural Light as a first song of the Encore..

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Thanks for the response(s)...
Just getting thru the 2nd listening and Ho Lee Fuk!
4th masterpiece is a fair assesment, lot to take in,
loving this right now...
how about jay's Piano work?

Can't wait for the Album version and the Tour to follow...

Thanks Again!
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Back to this :mrgreen:

Best:
Decoration Day
English Oceans
Southern Rock Opera
The Dirty South
A Blessing & A Curse

Favorite:
A Blessing & A Curse
English Oceans
Southern Rock Opera
The Dirty South
Pizza Deliverance

Edit: Forgot all about Pizza Deliverance. Fixed!
Last edited by LastLawson on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I f'n love the piano work it honestly took me by surprise and was a welcome change from the organ.

chihio72

Post by chihio72 »

I haven't heard the album yet and couldn't be more excited. Primer Coat and Hearing Jimmy Loud sounded terrific and dense with unique Cooley turns of phrase. Likewise, Made Up English Oceans and First air of Autumn sounded brilliant and beautiful, respectively, on the acoustic versions from Cooleys solo shows on the archive. It's harder for me to get a feel for the Hood songs from the live versions I heard, but early comments on this thread have me anticipating top-shelf Patterson songs.

One song I haven't seen discussed much is "til he's dead or rises", and I'm really eager to hear people's takes on what Cooley sounds like singing Patterson's song. Does it work? Does it sound "different"?

And Hello,and thank you to all the active members of this community for the great information over the last couple of years.

maxjkugel

Post by maxjkugel »

Anyone care to be so kind as to shoot a fella a pm? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

chihio72 wrote:I haven't heard the album yet and couldn't be more excited. Primer Coat and Hearing Jimmy Loud sounded terrific and dense with unique Cooley turns of phrase. Likewise, Made Up English Oceans and First air of Autumn sounded brilliant and beautiful, respectively, on the acoustic versions from Cooleys solo shows on the archive. It's harder for me to get a feel for the Hood songs from the live versions I heard, but early comments on this thread have me anticipating top-shelf Patterson songs.

One song I haven't seen discussed much is "til he's dead or rises", and I'm really eager to hear people's takes on what Cooley sounds like singing Patterson's song. Does it work? Does it sound "different"?

And Hello,and thank you to all the active members of this community for the great information over the last couple of years.

Cooley gives the song a life of its own, I honestly wouldn't even guessed it was written by Hood if it wasn't stated.. After listening to it several times you can't picture anybody else singing it. The guitar work is top notch, very Rolling Stonesque or maybe Muscle Shoals like rocker..

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Til He's Dead or Rises is the Dimmer Twins sounding more like the Glimmer Twins than any other song I can think of. It's also the only song that one of them has written that the other one sings (I think). It's a sneaky good song that I grow more fond of with each listen. Looking down the road, I hope they collaborate in this manner a few more times (I know, this one is not even off the presses yet & I'm already greedy for the next one).

I think it's gonna be real hard to come up a consensus for best song on the album (or even worst song for that matter). Every time I listen, I find I have a new favorite.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Top 5 songs on the album for me

1. Natural Light
2. Grand Canyon
3. Shit Shots Count
4. Pauline Hawkins
5. When Walter Went Crazy

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chihio72 wrote:I haven't heard the album yet and couldn't be more excited. Primer Coat and Hearing Jimmy Loud sounded terrific and dense with unique Cooley turns of phrase. Likewise, Made Up English Oceans and First air of Autumn sounded brilliant and beautiful, respectively, on the acoustic versions from Cooleys solo shows on the archive. It's harder for me to get a feel for the Hood songs from the live versions I heard, but early comments on this thread have me anticipating top-shelf Patterson songs.

I like it a lot and think it works great. Unlike biloxi, I do think it sounds like a patterson song, but that's neither praise nor criticism, just an observation - the song stands on its own. I think Cooley does a great job w/ it, somebody else mentioned the point at which PH harmonizes and i agree that's a highlight and i love jay's contributions. "Just one more really good one" on an album full of them. :)

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
BiloxiParish wrote:Go Go Boots Discussion Thread
Working on hunting down The Big To Do thread.

Amazing how little changes over time.

A lot of assho, I mean opinions, out there.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

In the last 18 hours since so many of you shared this beauty my fave has rotated around a few songs. Hearing Jimmy Loud (pure Cooley) is still kicking my butt as well as Pauline Hawkins (love the feedback break), Grand Canyon (Craig has to be smiling), Shit Shots Count (great starter), When Walter Went Crazy (another catchy Hood story).....you know I could keep going.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

walthers

Post by walthers »

So far I have listened to English Oceans three times, with no interruption, without it being some kind of background music. I am about to hit the road to SF to see the Mother Hips holiday show so I know I will get at least another uninterrupted listen on the way there as well as another on the way back. To get to what I think so far, here we go:

Albums usually take me weeks to fully get into and appreciate, especially the lyrics. I usually listen and grasp onto the music out of the gate and then deal with lyrics and interpretations as time goes on. With that said, musically I love this album so far. There are some familiar riffs and notes and at the same time a lot of new and refreshing ones. In particular I am really enjoying the horns on Shit Shots Count as well as the piano in Pauline Hawkins, which really grabbed my attention. I also am enjoying the spit between Patterson and Cooley, feels more like a live show in that regards. I have never been able to decide which of the two I gravitate to more; I guess it just depends on my mood at the moment when I am listening to a particular album.

As for the album sequence (and forgive me as I know this has been posted already but I feel the same way) the opening and closing just nail it. I never knew Craig but I do know that the closer, Grand Canyon is one that just makes me happy and feel good even though it is a eulogy of sorts. As we all know, Patterson can write those well. I was first introduced to DBT when A Blessing and a Curse came out and that was the thing that grabbed me about them, the opening and closing tracks of that album. I still crank up World of Hurt any time I need to realize that even though things in this world are fucked, there is always light at the end of the shit and being alive is a pretty great thing.

Finally, not that I want to get into the whole discussion of who should be entitled to the album before the release date or not, I am very appreciative of being hooked up even though I spend a great deal of time on hear reading (so many of you are great at interpreting the music and giving well thought out responses, such as RevMatt, Zip City, Clams, Beantownbubba, jonicont, Cortez I could go on and on) as opposed to writing, it is this place that has helped me realize and understand fully where a lot of this great music comes from and what it all means, some of you folks just nail it time and time again.

With that said, I will be throwing out some thoughts and opinions as they come to me in regards to this album as well as the shows that I will be attending this spring when they bring the rock show to Northern California. Until then, thank you all and receiving this album early (yes I purchased the vinyl yesterday when the link came up) just made the holiday even brighter! Cheers.
:D

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

ramonz wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Once the familiarity sets in, it just keeps getting better

You ain't kidding doc.

Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:Honestly, I think some should be a lil more discretionary with sharing. It's not really our place to share it with folks we don't "know"*. If you ain't an established poster/member of the board, I think you should pay your dues first. Judging from previous album leaks, I can't think of a single poster who joined just for an album that actually stuck around. In fact I had a poster promise me he was a longtime lurker who would stick around if I'd only send him the "Your Woman is a Living Thing" single; so far my reply has never been read by him.

[

I've had at least 10 people PM me for a link and I haven't sent one to any of them
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Nice work, Zip. I see a gold star in your future.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Two of the people I sent it to said they appreciated it but said they were going to wait until March which helped to play into my decision to try to do the same. I'm loving all the favorable things everyone's had to say about it but I haven't given in yet.