English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by RevMatt »

Clams wrote:
RevMatt wrote: I closed my eyes and pictured both the Cooley Bird and the Hood Owl flying above the grand canyon, their calls echoing off the walls like an electric guitar feeding back through a Fender Twin.

Whoa... psychedelic, Rev. Can I have some of the stuff you're smoking?

The Hood Owl flies and The Cooley Bird soars.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm having a hard time getting my mind around how good EO is. I'm floored. I was confident that it would be good but I wasn't ready for this.

I don't want to say too much because Im not familiar enough yet and like somebody else said, I don't feel comfortable discussing it in detail before it has been released and everybody has been able to listen.

I would hope that everybody here would automatically buy the record even if they already have access. I know I will.

A few things though. I want to echo the sentiment that the album opener and closer are perfectly placed. The entire sequencing is brilliant.

This is really early but right now Shit Shots Count is the catchiest thing on the record. Love everything about it. But early on the song that packs the most emotional wallop to me is When Walter Went Crazy. I found myself humming Shit Shots Count all day at work today but the song that I can't seem to shake off is Walter. I had something of an emotional hangover from it this morning. I don't normally speak in such dramatic terms but its true. I haven't had that kind reaction to a song since hearing Elephant for the first time. It snuck up on me too because I saw the title and was expecting some Patterson style humor. Nothing funny about it to me.

"With Matlock on the TV and her moma on the phone." That got me for some reason. It just seemed too dang familiar.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:"With Matlock on the TV and her moma on the phone." That got me for some reason. It just seemed too dang familiar.

I think one of Patterson's strengths as a songwriter is how he uses pop culture or everyday object references to absolutely nail an image w/ far more weight and resonance than a mere couple of words ought to be able to carry. This is a perfect example.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bogart

Post by bogart »

If you open up the Go-Go Boots album cover you'll see some bodies floating in the water. The water is very similar to the new album artwork, if it is indeed the new album artwork. Some of the bodies even have similar hair; parts, etc. Thought this was interesting...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:"With Matlock on the TV and her moma on the phone." That got me for some reason. It just seemed too dang familiar.

I think one of Patterson's strengths as a songwriter is how he uses pop culture or everyday object references to absolutely nail an image w/ far more weight and resonance than a mere couple of words ought to be able to carry. This is a perfect example.

Word!

In some weird juxtaposition, having Cooley write and sing half the album really allows Patterson to shine. On many DBT albums the Cooley songs are like the chocolate covered cherries in the candy box that you save for last. But on this album Patterson gets to have this role for a change.

I am thinking that the months Patterson, Jay and Brad spent touring together really paid off here.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:This is really early but right now Shit Shots Count is the catchiest thing on the record. Love everything about it. But early on the song that packs the most emotional wallop to me is When Walter Went Crazy. I found myself humming Shit Shots Count all day at work today but the song that I can't seem to shake off is Walter. I had something of an emotional hangover from it this morning. I don't normally speak in such dramatic terms but its true. I haven't had that kind reaction to a song since hearing Elephant for the first time. It snuck up on me too because I saw the title and was expecting some Patterson style humor. Nothing funny about it to me.

"With Matlock on the TV and her moma on the phone." That got me for some reason. It just seemed too dang familiar.

I agree 100%. Patterson mentioned that the song was inspired by a good friends' divorce; one of those where you're close to both parties.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:This is really early but right now Shit Shots Count is the catchiest thing on the record. Love everything about it. But early on the song that packs the most emotional wallop to me is When Walter Went Crazy. I found myself humming Shit Shots Count all day at work today but the song that I can't seem to shake off is Walter. I had something of an emotional hangover from it this morning. I don't normally speak in such dramatic terms but its true. I haven't had that kind reaction to a song since hearing Elephant for the first time. It snuck up on me too because I saw the title and was expecting some Patterson style humor. Nothing funny about it to me.

I agree 100%. Patterson mentioned that the song was inspired by a good friends' divorce; one of those where you're close to both parties.

It sure reminded me of mine. Minus the homicide and proclivity for such of course. But the rest of it hit all too close to home.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:I get the suggestion part. I think if you read between the lines you can find a suggestion in my response as well.

Prior to the leak it was still the "English Oceans Discussion Thread" but it didn't really have any detailed info about the album than a glimpse at the artwork and the tracklist. Now that it includes detailed info about individual songs, some folks that aren't aware that it's leaked might appreciate knowing ahead of time that the thread contains spoilers.

Perhaps some of the well-respected posters can chime in on this matter. Oilpiers has the list.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

kickinwing

Post by kickinwing »

Where the hell are people finding this? I can't find it anywhere through my usual sources.

I can't wait to hear it. Hopefully they hit VA sometime this spring so I can hear some new Truckers songs live.

Edit: If you want to share it, please PM. Don't post the link publicly.

kickinwing

Post by kickinwing »

https://archive.org/details/cooley2013- ... rix.flac16

If that hasn't been posted here yet, Cooley plays a English Oceans and First Day of Autumn solo on that recording. I love First Day of Autumn. Great imagery in that one.

ccollum92

Post by ccollum92 »

A few thoughts about this record. Have only listened all the way through three times though, so these thoughts are initial impressions at best:
--Yeah this is a Cooley record. That being said, "Walter Went Crazy," "Grand Canyon" and "Part of Him" are some of the best songs Hood's written in awhile.
--I definitely don't feel comfortable comparing this to their other records yet, but I feel pretty safe in saying that "Grand Canyon" is my favorite album-ender since "Goddamn Lonely Love." What a song, wow.
--Wish there were horns on more than one song!!!!!
--Love Matt's bass work on the record
--Right now I'd say "Hanging On" is my least favorite and I can't pick a favorite but "Grand Canyon," "Primer Coat," "Part of Him," and "Pauline Hawkins" are all in the running.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I was thinking today that Natural Light would have sounded right at home on the 1971 Leon Russell and the Shelter People album. So I'm googling that album and discover that David Hood played on it! Unbelievable.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

DeeperIn

Post by DeeperIn »

Can anyone help me out with a pm? All this talk about being up there with the great albums is driving me crazy! As usual I will be buying plenty of copies on release day!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I've only had a chance to listen to this twice, and once was while I was running 5 miles so I couldn't really concentrate. With that being said the thing that's stuck out for me so far is the sound of the record, the mix, the space etc. It's not as dense as the last few....I like it.

After 2 listens Shit Shots Count is my favorite song on the album, but that's almost guaranteed to change as I get more into it. There isn't a single skipper song on the album. We're driving to VA on Saturday to pick up my kids for Christmas so I'll have hours and hours to really dig into English Oceans....I also can't wait to get this on vinyl! I have a feeling this is going to smoke on my home rig.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

DeeperIn

Post by DeeperIn »

brett27295 wrote:I've only had a chance to listen to this twice, and once was while I was running 5 miles so I couldn't really concentrate. With that being said the thing that's stuck out for me so far is the sound of the record, the mix, the space etc. It's not as dense as the last few....I like it.

After 2 listens Shit Shots Count is my favorite song on the album, but that's almost guaranteed to change as I get more into it. There isn't a single skipper song on the album. We're driving to VA on Saturday to pick up my kids for Christmas so I'll have hours and hours to really dig into English Oceans....I also can't wait to get this on vinyl! I have a feeling this is going to smoke on my home rig.

Yeah, I'm about to head on the holiday road trip today and was really hoping to be able to hear it if anyone could help me out.

yukon cornelius

Post by yukon cornelius »

i'd love a PM, too ;)

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Smitty wrote:
Kevidently wrote:Pretty sure it's "stream of tar," like, "slow as molasses in January."

Makes a helluva lot more sense, thanks!

No problem! I think there's going to be a lot of amusing mis-hears before we actually get the lyrics. I certainly wouldn't have gotten "boner-pill rides" on my own!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kevidently wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Kevidently wrote:Pretty sure it's "stream of tar," like, "slow as molasses in January."

Makes a helluva lot more sense, thanks!

No problem! I think there's going to be a lot of amusing mis-hears before we actually get the lyrics. I certainly wouldn't have gotten "boner-pill rides" on my own!

Aaaahhh, to be young

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Aaaahhh, to be young

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

alright, last day before vacation. might as well do something productive while i'm at work.

First Air of Autumn

First air of autumn up your nose
Popcorn, heavy hairspray, nylon pantyhose
Please stand and bow your heads and pray you don't get old

The nurture and the admonition of your kind
Rules of only strong survive
Cross-shaped swimming pools, down in the blood and lifted up
Forever seeking favor from the light

Schoolhouse hallway like a prairie highway sprawls
The drop off spins away the sun
The getting there just proves it's nothing but a ball
Pray the horizon never comes

The hearts of the daughters of the men
Won by the softness of the sons of women's hands
To leave it up to love would leave it up to chance

Memory only shows the promise beauty brings
Beauty ages in its time
Light attracts the same, you glance away, the glory fades
Being on your arm has lost its shine

Schoolhouse hallway like a prairie highway sprawls
The drop off spins away the sun
Like eyes that once could cut through candle power on autumn nights
First air of autumn leaves me numb
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Clams

Post by Clams »

One of the things that strikes me about most of these songs is how middle-aged the lyrics are. Lots of ruminating about marriages and kids, etc. DBT has touched on these subjects before, but this batch seems more concentrated, at least to me.

Some other stuff I hear (not including the obvious Stones in Cooley's rockers):
-- I hear Never Gonna Change in the opening 30 seconds of When He's Gone
-- I hear the melody of Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark in Til He's Dead or Rises (seriously!)
-- I hear something in the background of Grand Canyon that reminds me of Led Zep's Kashmir

Also: Even though I'm a much bigger fan of guitars than keyboards, I really love how Jay's keyboards sound on this record. But I do miss the pedal steel.

I have no idea how English Oceans fits into the overall ranking of DBT records or saying "it's their best album since ____" or whatever, all I know is that after three long years it's fucking great to have a new batch of DBT songs to get into. And a big HELL YEAH to Cooley for getting over that case of writer's block.
If you don't run you rust

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Clams wrote:-- I hear something in the background of Grand Canyon that reminds me of Led Zep's Kashmir

Do you mean something musical or like a weird, tape-delay noise? I was laying in bed listening to this the other night and thought for a second I was hearing voices. There's a weird buzzing/backward talking thing that's most noticeable starting right before the noise jam at the end.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Duke Silver wrote:
Clams wrote:-- I hear something in the background of Grand Canyon that reminds me of Led Zep's Kashmir

Do you mean something musical or like a weird, tape-delay noise? I was laying in bed listening to this the other night and thought for a second I was hearing voices. There's a weird buzzing/backward talking thing that's most noticeable starting right before the noise jam at the end.

Um no, I meant something musical, not voices. Just wondering... were you seeing soaring owls and flying cooleybirds when you heard those voices?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

Um no, I meant something musical, not voices. Just wondering... were you seeing soaring owls and flying cooleybirds when you heard those voices?

Are you suggesting that he's been sharing with RevMatt?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Methinks that vacation is coming just in time for Mr. Silver. :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Methinks that vacation is coming just in time for Mr. Silver. :lol:

Yes, but he's free to keep transposing lyrics. :)

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

hoo boy :shock:

no one else hears it starting around 6:24? turned up real loud through headphones?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Duke Silver wrote:

There is something there. Hope to hear it better on the vinyl. The jams have gotten psychedelic at times the last few months and I can see this coda being killer live
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

And here's another thought, on the Hood vs Cooley songs, someone said earlier that this is "Cooley's album" or something along those lines...

If you think of the record in guitar terms, Cooley's songs are like the lead guitar - they stand out, they sound totally cool and you automatically notice them - and Patterson's songs are like the rhythm guitar - they never falter, never let you down, they are the glue that holds everything together.

I also like how the record mostly switch back and forth between the Hood and Cooley songs just like at the rock show.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Jonicont wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

There is something there. Hope to hear it better on the vinyl. The jams have gotten psychedelic at times the last few months and I can see this coda being killer live

It's The EZ-B.