English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by Cole Younger »

I don't care if this record their best ever or not. That would be great bu it seems unlikely. I just hope it's really good. That would be enough. And I think it will be.

Also, the fact that Cooley is singing a Patterson song on this one seems pretty significant to me. They've both been ask about collaborations before and Cooley as always just sort said, "nah we don't do that." While Patterson has seemed open to the idea while explaining that he thought Cooley would hate it and that it would probably never happen. Girls Who Smoke being the closest he thought they would ever come.

To me it's a pretty big deal that this happened.

I've purposely avoided the new songs that are floating around out there. Made Up English Oceans is the only one I've heard and that's by pure accident. I can't wait for the album to come out,

And Cooley seems way more willing to talk about the meaning/inspiration for these new songs of his than he's ever been in the past.

English Oceans is about Lee Atwater? :D Never, ever would have guessed that.

As for the three people of the album cover? Jason, Neff, and Shonna? :D
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Just back from the show. Played Hangin On, The Part of Him, and When Walter Went Crazy (I think---it was the opener so my memory may be faulty) from the new album. Only The Part of Him was what I would remotely call a rocker, but all three songs were really excellent. I think English Oceans is going to be a stunningly beautiful album that will defy categorization, kind of like Abbey Road--two songwriters at the absolute top of their games and a band and a producer that have mastered the studio.

PH was talking about the title and how some guy told him it sounded like an album title from XTC. Hood said he might run with the XTC influenced album idea just to fuck with people. He also said something like, "the connection is, we speak English motherfucker." PH was a little under the weather but still a great sold out show with a very respectful and enthusiastic crowd. Even the opening act, which was an author reading her contribution to the Bitter Southerner website, was enjoyable.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

And another thing, "Jimmy Page" has been re-titled as "Dragon Pants." Patterson didn't seem happy that it didn't make the album and hinted it would be played live next year. Finally, they played a great slowed down and in the pocket groove version of Nine Bullets.

docturk

Post by docturk »

Markalanbishop wrote: Finally, they played a great slowed down and in the pocket groove version of Nine Bullets.

Don't forget that killer version of White Knuckle West Virginia..

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

So glad "Grand Canyon" closes out this record....I'll have teary eyes everytime side B ends.......RIP CL.........

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Howlinwolf wrote:So glad "Grand Canyon" closes out this record....I'll have teary eyes everytime side B ends.......RIP CL.........

I know. he was a great guy... Craig always remembered me everytime I went to the Rawk Show. Still havent seen em without Craig yet. It will def be weird not having him there. He was a great guy!!! RIP Craig Lieske

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Clearly my most anticipated new album release for 2014.

There has never been a DBT album that I didn't want to listen to multiple times over many, many years. They all still get playing time at my house.
No doubt that streak will continue.

Bring on the vinyl!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Amen to that!! even the worst DBT record still beats any of all the other bullshit thats out there now

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dbtfan4life wrote:Amen to that!! even the worst DBT record still beats any of all the other bullshit thats out there now

Not so sure I agree with that as there's some pretty good stuff out there now. Unless, of course you're referring to the American Top 40. Then again, it's mostly always been shit.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Howlinwolf wrote:So glad "Grand Canyon" closes out this record....I'll have teary eyes everytime side B ends.......RIP CL.........

"Grand Canyon," the final song on the album, is an emotionally overwhelming elegy for Craig Lieske, a longtime member of DBT's touring family. The former manager of Athens' 40 Watt Club and a key player in the city's experimental music scene, Lieske died suddenly of a heart attack in January 2013 following the first night of the band's three-night homecoming stand in Athens. English Oceans is dedicated to him.

“I probably wrote it in 15 minutes," Hood says. "It wasn't any kind of a conscious thing. It's the most important song of mine on the record.”
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Markalanbishop wrote:Patterson didn't seem happy that it didn't make the album

There must have been a good reason for it, but I concur. It's a catchy, fun, clever, interesting tune about someone we're all are curious about and/or have these (probably) stereotypical ideas about. He's a mystery man, and the song sheds a bit of light on the situation, if only to reaffirm what goes/went on in his extraordinary life. Hyperbole? Yes. Fun as hell? Yes. It's also a song that gets picked up by media outlets because of what/who it's about. We remember this from earlier this year: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-patterson-hood-song/ Maybe it can be a vinyl or iTunes bonus track like GWS....but to me it's a keeper. Maybe it just didn't fit the overall mood of the final album.

Can't wait!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

definetly referring to American Top 40... nothing worth listening to. All my friends torture me with rap... makes me wanna pull an Uncle Frank

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

ramonz wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Patterson didn't seem happy that it didn't make the album

There must have been a good reason for it, but I concur. It's a catchy, fun, clever, interesting tune about someone we're all are curious about and/or have these (probably) stereotypical ideas about. He's a mystery man, and the song sheds a bit of light on the situation, if only to reaffirm what goes/went on in his extraordinary life. Hyperbole? Yes. Fun as hell? Yes. It's also a song that gets picked up by media outlets because of what/who it's about. We remember this from earlier this year: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-patterson-hood-song/ Maybe it can be a vinyl or iTunes bonus track like GWS....but to me it's a keeper. Maybe it just didn't fit the overall mood of the final album.

Can't wait!

In some recent interviews as well as on some of our threads Patterson has said that looking back at GGB he probably would have put fewer songs on the album. Maybe that is what he had in mind when sequencing this record.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Has Jimmy Page trademarked his name? Or would that be a copyright?

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Hearing Jimmy Loud? wonder what that song is about :?:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

dbtfan4life wrote:Hearing Jimmy Loud? wonder what that song is about :?:

It's an answer song to "When Jimmy Came".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

ok thanks lol English Oceans will kick that eye candy shit band rite in the ass!!! :twisted:

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

art is not a contest
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:art is not a contest

Rocky, I kind of love that. Right on.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

dbtfan4life wrote:ok thanks lol English Oceans will kick that eye candy shit band rite in the ass!!! :twisted:

I don't care for Eye Candy, but really? Is music like a football game now?

EDIT: Rocky put it better

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

In a perfect world, you're right. But artists have been competing against each other since time immemorial for recognition, money, girls, boys, etc. Don't know how it is in the other arts, but "cutting contests" have been around in the jazz scene forever: http://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/#prog ... ew-orleans And we're all familiar with sayings like "The Alabama Shakes blew us off the stage that night."

I agree that the competition should be friendly, as in this from TC: "Friday night the band was issued a musical challenge by the Dexateens and they met it head on with one of the best shows I've seen in some time." Or this: "I know how good Jay is and I was still blown away by his guitar chops both nights but especially Saturday when he was en fuego. Not ones to be shown up in any way Cooley and Patterson played some mean and dirty lead guitar their own selves and the whole thing just smoked because of those three guitars." But it isn't always that way.

P.S. Full disclosure: I'm just trolling TC because I'm bored at work.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Sorry but when those bitches talk shit about Mr. Hood... it kinda pisses me off I thought this was a DBT board

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

In a perfect world, you're right. But artists have been competing against each other since time immemorial for recognition, money, girls, boys, etc. Don't know how it is in the other arts, but "cutting contests" have been around in the jazz scene forever: http://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/#prog ... ew-orleans And we're all familiar with sayings like "The Alabama Shakes blew us off the stage that night."

I agree that the competition should be friendly, as in this from TC: "Friday night the band was issued a musical challenge by the Dexateens and they met it head on with one of the best shows I've seen in some time." Or this: "I know how good Jay is and I was still blown away by his guitar chops both nights but especially Saturday when he was en fuego. Not ones to be shown up in any way Cooley and Patterson played some mean and dirty lead guitar their own selves and the whole thing just smoked because of those three guitars." But it isn't always that way.

P.S. Full disclosure: I'm just trolling TC because I'm bored at work.

Well touché I guess, but I don't necessarily think of bands pushing each other as competition, although I suppose it is in a way. One of my top 5 shows of all time was Meat Puppets with Dexateens supporting and that friendly competition was obvious but no one was trying to beat anyone. The Dexateens showed that they could rock with those old legends and in turn the Meat Puppets knew that they couldn't slack that night. My understanding is the entire tour was like that and all involved had a blast. That's not "I'm going to kick your ass", that's more like "Oh yeah, top this shit motherfucker" with a big ass smile on your face and then responding with an equally big ass smile when they do kick it up a notch. I love that kind of stuff but I didn't think that's what was being discussed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
dbtfan4life wrote:Hearing Jimmy Loud? wonder what that song is about :?:

It's an answer song to "When Jimmy Came".

"1/2 a gram later I was hearing Jimmy loud." "God must be a lonely man." Classic Cooley.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

cant wait for this album!!! i know marklynn has prob already heard the finished product. if its half as gud as A Tell All or Shonnas singing we will be in luck :lol:

Duke Silver

Re: New Record Discussion

Post by Duke Silver »

Duke Silver wrote:Half educated/half wild guess here:

1. Shit Shots Count -- Cooley
2. When He''s Gone -- Hood
3. Primer Coat -- Cooley
4. Pauline Hawkins -- Hood
5. Made Up English Oceans -- Cooley
6. The Part Of Him -- Hood
7. Hearing Jimmy Loud -- [s]Hood[/s] Cooley
8. Til He's Dead Or Rises -- [s]Cooley[/s] Hood (written by)/Cooley (sung by)
9. Hanging On -- Hood
10. Natural Light -- Cooley
11. When Walter Went Crazy -- Hood
12. First Air Of Autumn -- Cooley
13. Grand Canyon -- Hood

7 Hood, 6 Cooley? Sounds about right.

So I was slightly off. I guess it's an even 6.5 each.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

TC said: Well touché I guess, but I don't necessarily think of bands pushing each other as competition, although I suppose it is in a way. One of my top 5 shows of all time was Meat Puppets with Dexateens supporting and that friendly competition was obvious but no one was trying to beat anyone. The Dexateens showed that they could rock with those old legends and in turn the Meat Puppets knew that they couldn't slack that night. My understanding is the entire tour was like that and all involved had a blast. That's not "I'm going to kick your ass", that's more like "Oh yeah, top this shit motherfucker" with a big ass smile on your face and then responding with an equally big ass smile when they do kick it up a notch. I love that kind of stuff but I didn't think that's what was being discussed.

I should have made it clearer that I don't think of competition as being a pejorative term. So we're on the same page on your top this shit motherfucker with a big smile on your face description. Maybe this makes more sense: art is not a contest but artists certainly compete. Some artists compete in a good way that drives new art and raises everyone's game while others will fuck you over in a heartbeat. Now I feel like I'm luring myself into a maze of circular logic based on semantics. I'll move on.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:I'm luring myself into a maze of circular logic based on semantics.

Wasn't that Dali? *

*What can i say. Art humor is pretty much of an oxymoron.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:I'm luring myself into a maze of circular logic based on semantics.

Wasn't that Dali? *

*What can i say. Art humor is pretty much of an oxymoron.

Either him or Escher. ;)

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Swingin' Doors on KEXP will be debuting a song from English Oceans tonight.