English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

SouthernFriedCanuck

Re: DBT New Album Title: English Oceans?

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

I really don't care what they call the album. I'm just stoked there's a new one coming.
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Zip City wrote:There's nothing English about DBT

Well, except for "Girls Who Smoke."

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Kevidently wrote:

And Cooley's tubes... :ugeek:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just saw this over in the Nashville thread. You can get a good listen to English Oceans and a few other new songs on this recording

https://archive.org/details/dbt2013-11-10.mk4v.flac16

(courtesy of mmedley)
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

You can't really get the full feel for stuff from the early recordings, but "Pauline Hawkins" and "The Part of Him" are my early favorites. Both seem like they would have fit on Patterson's last few solo records, but getting the full Trucker treatment.

It will be interesting to see if I still feel this way after hearing the proper versions.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Kevidently wrote:

And what about Birmingham?

nowigotworry

Re: New album?

Post by nowigotworry »

So far, I have absolutely no idea what "punk rock" aesthetic was being referenced. The new songs that have been played recently sound frustratingly like The Big To Do/Go Go Boots/(especially) Heat Lightning material; Patterson's, in particular. The only song that I could see going back to the harder rock days of the early albums is the new Cooley song about a Shit Shot (the exact name escapes me at the moment). I've seen Patterson reference "Pauline Hawkins" as being "raucous," but it's as meanderingly tame as anything else they've put out in the last five years. I'm not necessarily a "glory days" DBT fan who's only looking to "hear the old stuff," but if Patterson keeps putting out Heat Lightning pt. 2, 3, 4 under the name Drive-By Truckers, my interest is going to continue to wane at a pretty sharp rate.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

we havent even heard the album :lol:

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Shakespeare wrote:we havent even heard the album :lol:

+1
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

nowigotworry wrote:So far, I have absolutely no idea what "punk rock" aesthetic was being referenced.

Technically, "aesthetic" refers to how the album was made and ain't particularly something you'd be able to hear. You could record a traditional gospel album with a punk rock "aesthetic".
And of course, we ain't even heard the record yet.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:Technically, "aesthetic" refers to how the album was made and ain't particularly something you'd be able to hear. You could record a traditional gospel album with a punk rock "aesthetic".

Okay, so maybe it is my day to be a proselytute after all:

The punk rock of choral music

Dan Harper wrote:Public radio station KALW ran a short piece recently on Sacred Harp music recently, calling it “the punk rock of choral music.” I was one of the people interviewed for the piece, and you can hear it or read it on KALW’s Web site here.

Dan, who was a punk rocker back in the day (and you know what? Underneath that hair, I think he still has a buzz cut), writes a lot about Sacred Harp singing.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Album now pushed from February to March :x
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:Album now pushed from February to March :x

Damn, that means we won't hear it till nearly Christmas.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:Album now pushed from February to March :x

Damn, that means we won't hear it till nearly Christmas.

:lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

nowigotworry wrote:So far, I have absolutely no idea what "punk rock" aesthetic was being referenced. The new songs that have been played recently sound frustratingly like The Big To Do/Go Go Boots/(especially) Heat Lightning material; Patterson's, in particular. The only song that I could see going back to the harder rock days of the early albums is the new Cooley song about a Shit Shot (the exact name escapes me at the moment). I've seen Patterson reference "Pauline Hawkins" as being "raucous," but it's as meanderingly tame as anything else they've put out in the last five years. I'm not necessarily a "glory days" DBT fan who's only looking to "hear the old stuff," but if Patterson keeps putting out Heat Lightning pt. 2, 3, 4 under the name Drive-By Truckers, my interest is going to continue to wane at a pretty sharp rate.

I'll say only this...

It's going to be a long three and a half months.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beergut

Post by beergut »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
nowigotworry wrote:So far, I have absolutely no idea what "punk rock" aesthetic was being referenced. The new songs that have been played recently sound frustratingly like The Big To Do/Go Go Boots/(especially) Heat Lightning material; Patterson's, in particular. The only song that I could see going back to the harder rock days of the early albums is the new Cooley song about a Shit Shot (the exact name escapes me at the moment). I've seen Patterson reference "Pauline Hawkins" as being "raucous," but it's as meanderingly tame as anything else they've put out in the last five years. I'm not necessarily a "glory days" DBT fan who's only looking to "hear the old stuff," but if Patterson keeps putting out Heat Lightning pt. 2, 3, 4 under the name Drive-By Truckers, my interest is going to continue to wane at a pretty sharp rate.

I'll say only this...

It's going to be a long three and a half months.

:lol: :lol:

I'm tired of waitin' around

waitin' around

waitin' around

Where is the new years show??????? :P
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Nothing like trashing the new record before you hear it!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I blame Clams for the recent drop in quotes.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Perhaps you should offer your services to DBT as an adviser. You could tell Patterson and Cooley what kind of songs they need to write to have a successful album. That way if Patterson comes up with something that sounds like "Girls Who Smoke" you can send him home to write something better.

I haven't heard the new album. But the people who have seem more excited about this one than they were with the previous two Truckers' albums. Of course, the real test comes six to nine months after the release. How often will we play the album once the newness wears off? Go Go Boots still gets as many plays as my other four fave DBT albums (SRO, DD, TDS, BTCD). TBTD hasn't fared as well. I play it more often than ABAAC and Gangstabilly. On my stereo TBTD and PD get the same amount of plays.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

John A Arkansawyer

RevMatt wrote:[Of course, the real test comes six to nine months after the release. How often will we play the album once the newness wears off? Go Go Boots still gets as many plays as my other four fave DBT albums (SRO, DD, TDS, BTCD).

It would be about the same here if my copy of the Decoration Day disc hadn't disappeared. I probably play The Fine Print more than Brighter Than Creations Dark. I skip a couple of songs a lot on both those. The others pretty much play straight through if my daughter isn't riding with me--then I skip several on Go-Go Boots.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

I think if you want a punk rock album you're probably barking up the wrong tree. Punk was made by people whose lack of experience and technical ability was more than made up for with energy and attitude and style. DBT have plenty of experience of life, of playing and of writing songs. It would be bizarre if they they went back to just thrashing three chords at 200 bpm and singing about stuff concerning teenagers. There's no reason why it shouldn't be informed by those attitudes but the result would still be a DBT album, not a punk record.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So Matt Patton was in a car accident today, hit by another car. According to his wife he's fine but the driver that hit him recognized him immediately and said "I can't wait for the new album to come out!". I repeat myself; it's going to be a long three and a half months.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So Matt Patton was in a car accident today, hit by another car. According to his wife he's fine but the driver that hit him recognized him immediately and said "I can't wait for the new album to come out!". I repeat myself; it's going to be a long three and a half months.

First, glad Matt's ok.

Second: :lol: DBT Nation: We put the atic in fanatic.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:Nothing like trashing the new record before you hear it!

I've seen folks trash records just based on artwork alone without having heard a single note of the music.

I remember a time when the DBT's would be playing nearly an entire album in concert for months prior to it's release. While the tunes may not have resembled their studio counterparts it was still a good indication of what to expect.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So Matt Patton was in a car accident today, hit by another car. According to his wife he's fine but the driver that hit him recognized him immediately and said "I can't wait for the new album to come out!". I repeat myself; it's going to be a long three and a half months.

As long as Matt is OK I'm going to go ahead and think this is pretty damn funny. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I've seen folks trash records just based on artwork alone without having heard a single note of the music.

But unfortunately that artwork was a harbinger of what was to come.

John A Arkansawyer

Rocky wrote:

As long as Matt is OK I'm going to go ahead and think this is pretty damn funny. :mrgreen:

x2

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

But unfortunately that artwork was a harbinger of what was to come.

What album cover are you referring to?

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I remember a time when the DBT's would be playing nearly an entire album in concert for months prior to it's release. While the tunes may not have resembled their studio counterparts it was still a good indication of what to expect.

So, you were on the Springsteen board when Workin' on a Dream came out. Four months before the album came out, people saw the artwork, proclaimed WOAD "shit," and then refused to let the generally terrific music dissuade them when it actually came out.