English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: DBT New Album Title: English Oceans?

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Steve French wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Just so long as they don't call it Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance.

that would be confusing, yo. they could do the Bowie thing and recycle the cover from an iconic earlier album, put a white sticker on it and call it "The davy after that" or some shit.

Just my way of saying I don't think English Oceans is any more "bizarre" than some of their other album titles. I kind of like the sound of "Gnaw On the String" or whatever that song title was that surfaced awhile back when Patterson was posting photos from the studio.

Assuming that English Oceans is seriously being considered, or has already been chosen, as the album title (which I take as no sure thing):

Achieving success in the music business is really, really, really hard. Because of that, it normally makes sense for anyone who would like to succeed to do whatever s/he can to increase his or her chances, up to the point where it crosses their personal line of credibility, morality, sense of self or whatever. Stupid in-joke album titles do not help the cause, and more often than not hurt it. Why family men in their 40's starting to think about college tuitions, health insurance and all that not so good stuff would go on making the same mistakes and the same kinds of in-jokes they were making 15 years ago when they sold approximately zero albums and couldn't sell out their basement is somewhat mysterious to me.

Southern Rock Opera was a misleading title because it got the band pigeonholed in the southern rock ghetto where they didn't belong, but at least it was an accurate, and even a bold, title to anyone who bothered to listen. English Oceans is not likely to give any potential new fan any idea of what's inside the package. We probably all have different ideas about what that hypothetical person might think, but I lean towards some sort of emo thing by british art college students. Or maybe ambient sound by 2 German guys w/ scraggly beards who need an entree into the clubs on Ibiza. In any case, I seriously doubt anyone's gonna think "Eureka! I've found it! The kick ass literate rock album informed by soul and country played w/ virtuosity and fervor that I've been looking for!!"

Or maybe the album just sucks and they don't want anyone to hear it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

English Oceans. It's their Achtung Baby...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:Southern Rock Opera was a misleading title because it got the band pigeonholed in the southern rock ghetto where they didn't belong, but at least it was an accurate, and even a bold, title to anyone who bothered to listen.

The working title for many years was Betamax Guillotine but, for whatever reason, that was dropped in favor of Southern Rock Opera. I've always wanted to hear the back story on that. My guess is, that some parties (namely Skynyrd) would have been offended by it. Then again, until Southern Rock Opera, I'd never heard the urban legend that Ronnie Van Zant was hit on the noggin during the plane crash by a betamax. As it turned out, Skynyrd was apparently offended anyway (or at least weren't quite able to make sense of it), though it's important to take into consideration how strange Southern Rock Opera probably seemed to them.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:English Oceans. It's their Achtung Baby...

So if Achtung Baby was recorded in Berlin, English Oceans was recorded in, ummmm....

(Nice one RK).

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Cole Younger wrote:They can call it Cornbread Patties for all I care.

Or maybe Glutton Free Hushpuppies for Rev?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Three or four months of this??? Mercy.

:lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

English Oceans sounds pretty cool to me. That it's enigmatic shouldn't surprise anyone given that one of their most important records (since it came on the heels of JI's departure) was called Brighter Than Creations Dark. (Just what exactly does that mean? I've listened to that one a thousand times and I still don't know). Anyway, I'm with Cole Younger here - it's what's inside that counts. I couldn't give a shit what they call it as long as the music is good.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote: - it's what's inside that counts. I couldn't give a shit what they call it as long as the music is good.

Yes, I'm sure that's true of everyone on this board. All 1,611 of us. I'm not suggesting that the tile is more important than the substance. Of course it's not. And for all I know maybe the song "English Oceans" is going to be their first hit single and then the album name will be a help, not a hindrance. But how many people have we all tried to talk to about DBT who were turned off by the name of the band, some of the album titles or some other factor unrelated to the quality of the music? I'm gonna guess that if you add all of those folks up, it's more than 1,611. I'm hoping that the album is great and I'm hoping that the band has some financial success w/ it, in that order. But both would be better.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'm more offended by Wes Freed's artwork for the cover
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Gaetzi wrote:I'm more offended by Wes Freed's artwork for the cover

Okay, I'm ignorant. Where can I see it? Or are you putting me on and I am simply too oblivious to know it?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Yeah, just joking :)

I'm just super stoked on some new DBT tunes and more Rock Shows in 2014!

John A Arkansawyer

Gaetzi wrote:Yeah, just joking :)

I'm just super stoked on some new DBT tunes and more Rock Shows in 2014!

I thought that might be the case. Saturday had better hurry up and get here or I'm gonna fade away.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Sounds cool to me. One thing I love about DBT is the fact they don't feel the need to conform to expectations. They do what's right by them and it seems to work for enough people for them to be able to continue doing it.

It's the title of an artwork, not a product description. Unless, of course, we've all been barking up the wrong tree and it's actually an album of English folk songs, sea shanties and hornpipes.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

both of these are now in my head

Beebs is not a ragey man

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Wait 'till yall see the album cover. It's my favorite thing ever from Wes and is about as perfect as can be.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

mark lynn wrote:Wait 'till yall see the album cover. It's my favorite thing ever from Wes and is about as perfect as can be.

So does that cover say English Oceans on it?
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

wait, whats the issue here? "english oceans" isnt an especially great album title but whats all this about it being a risky career move or whatever? am i missing some controversial hidden meaning here?

John A Arkansawyer

Shakespeare wrote:wait, whats the issue here? "english oceans" isnt an especially great album title but whats all this about it being a risky career move or whatever? am i missing some controversial hidden meaning here?

Yes. English Oceans is an anagram for Hose Cleansing. Nasty stuff, dude.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

I am in favor of something more like Hill "Billy" Oceans in which the boys do a number on Carribbean Queen(no more love on the run), Get out of my Dreams and in to my Car, and When the Going gets Tough the Tough get Going.... Sort of a Trinadad and Tobago Rock Opera.... I swear I had to google those song titlles :D

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

"Yacht Rock"

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kindly point me toward the Southern Rock ghetto. I want to live there.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Gaetzi wrote:"Yacht Rock"

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Southern Rock Opera was a misleading title because it got the band pigeonholed in the southern rock ghetto where they didn't belong, but at least it was an accurate, and even a bold, title to anyone who bothered to listen.

The working title for many years was Betamax Guillotine but, for whatever reason, that was dropped in favor of Southern Rock Opera. I've always wanted to hear the back story on that. My guess is, that some parties (namely Skynyrd) would have been offended by it. Then again, until Southern Rock Opera, I'd never heard the urban legend that Ronnie Van Zant was hit on the noggin during the plane crash by a betamax. As it turned out, Skynyrd was apparently offended anyway (or at least weren't quite able to make sense of it), though it's important to take into consideration how strange Southern Rock Opera probably seemed to them.

There was an article in Spin some time just after Jason joined the band. Actually, the transition from Rob to Jason happened while the reporter was with the band gathering what he needed for the article. Anyway, within that article Patterson talked about meeting Gary Rossington after SRO was released. He described how nervous he was about meeting him and mentioned his describing the record as "weird".

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Y'all got something against consonance/sibilance? English Oceans---I love the way those two words work together.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:Kindly point me toward the Southern Rock ghetto. I want to live there.

Be careful what you wish for.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

bnzz wrote:I am in favor of something more like Hill "Billy" Oceans in which the boys do a number on Carribbean Queen(no more love on the run), Get out of my Dreams and in to my Car, and When the Going gets Tough the Tough get Going.... Sort of a Trinadad and Tobago Rock Opera.... I swear I had to google those song titlles :D

I would actually really love to hear Cooley do a cover of Carribean Queen. I mean he did that Adele song as what I'm assuming was a joke and it was awasome so why not?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
mark lynn wrote:Wait 'till yall see the album cover. It's my favorite thing ever from Wes and is about as perfect as can be.

So does that cover say English Oceans on it?

:mrgreen: GMU, you made me laugh.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:
bnzz wrote:I am in favor of something more like Hill "Billy" Oceans in which the boys do a number on Carribbean Queen(no more love on the run), Get out of my Dreams and in to my Car, and When the Going gets Tough the Tough get Going.... Sort of a Trinadad and Tobago Rock Opera.... I swear I had to google those song titlles :D

I would actually really love to hear Cooley do a cover of Carribean Queen. I mean he did that Adele song as what I'm assuming was a joke and it was awasome so why not?

Not as much of a stretch but he's also done "Little Willy" by the Sweet. The "Caribbean Queen" thing brings to mind some of the Top 40 type covers Ryan Adams has done over the years like "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. The time I heard it, it was completely off the cuff but still, he made it work. As he said at the time, "all it needs is some pedal steel".

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:

I doubt it was a joke*. He seems to take the music he plays pretty seriously. And though I've only heard the hits, Adele kind of kicks my ass.

*though I didn't hear it, so take what I say with a big block of salt

zoid

Post by zoid »

Here English Oceans from a Cooley solo show back in June..

Mike Cooley
06/26/2013
The Grey Eagle
Asheville, NC

https://ia801900.us.archive.org/6/items ... -26t13.mp3

https://archive.org/details/cooley2013- ... k40.flac16