Webisode #8

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: Webisode #8

Post by dime in the gutter »

she womanhandles that bass. love me some shonna. dbt is lucky to have her. it is way cool for her to have such a big role in the band. she makes them better.

feel better?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:25 views and no responses......not very inspiring I guess

Didn't see it until now. The thing about Shonna is she's just sweet and down to earth. And she plays bass and sings in The Drive-By Truckers. Plus, she slugs down shots from the bottle of Jack, has her own online cooking show and rubs chicken grease on her bass strings. What's not to love?
If you don't run you rust

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

That's an interesting piece about songwriting - or writing of any kind - that she dialed herself with the details of a whole song so she would not forget. Also: cool item regarding Spooner telling her that "songs already exist" and, you just have to "hear them." Writing ain't no given thing folks... it's work.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

StevieRay wrote:That's an interesting piece about songwriting - or writing of any kind - that she dialed herself with the details of a whole song so she would not forget. Also: cool item regarding Spooner telling her that "songs already exist" and, you just have to "hear them." Writing ain't no given thing folks... it's work.

Both these points were interesting for me. The first, bolting upright from bed with an entire song in your head, was cool to hear because the best song I ever wrote was that way. I had a guitar in the room though and just sat on the edge of the bed and played it start to finish. I've been telling people about my experience for twenty years and have never heard anyone but Shonna say they had experienced the same thing. The second point, about songs being out there in the ether ready to be grabbed, was something a former band mate used spout a lot. Although most of what came out of that guy's mouth was gibberish I always lent that theory some credence for whatever reason. Now to find out that no less than Spooner Oldham and Shonna Tucker believe it makes it even fascinating.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The first, bolting upright from bed with an entire song in your head, was cool to hear because the best song I ever wrote was that way. I had a guitar in the room though and just sat on the edge of the bed and played it start to finish. I've been telling people about my experience for twenty years and have never heard anyone but Shonna say they had experienced the same thing.

I had that happen once too....I wish it would happen more often.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Townes Van Zandt wrote "If I Needed You" in a codeine-enhanced sleep
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

At least the riff, if not more, of "Satisfaction" was written by Keith in his sleep...I remember reading a story that he didn't even remember that he woke up in the middle of the night and recorded the rough demo. He just saw his tape was at the opposite end, rewound and there it was

kendix

Post by kendix »

Interesting take on song-writing. Anyone who writes occasionally gets struck by lightning and has the words just flow effortlessly, but I've always found writing to be more like work--something you have to do everyday whether you want to or not if you want to be good at it.

I hope Shonna continues to be inspired. She brings a lot to the band.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

pearlysnaps wrote:At least the riff, if not more, of "Satisfaction" was written by Keith in his sleep...I remember reading a story that he didn't even remember that he woke up in the middle of the night and recorded the rough demo. He just saw his tape was at the opposite end, rewound and there it was
I've heard this story too. I imagine it was changed from "stoned out of my gourd on smack" to "In my sleep" :D
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life