DBT's Salute Cash at ACL Music Fest 9.20.03

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

DBT's Salute Cash at ACL Music Fest 9.20.03

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Well, not just the DBT's but Ray Benson, Tift Merritt, North Mississippi Allstars and the Old 97's. Rosanne Cash was originally scheduled to perform at the second Austin City Limits Music Festival back in September of 2003 but with the passing of Johnny, she obviously had to cancel. Her slot at the festival was devoted to a Cash tribute featuring the aforementioned artists. Thanks to the miracle of the innerwebs you can listen to the tribute at this link. I'm not sure if it's out there anywhere but when the Truckers got their own set underway on a different stage right after the Cash tribute they kicked it off in the midst of a torrential downpour with the then unreleased "Carl Perkins' Cadillac". On the day Cash passed they released a demo version of it that was posted on the DBT's website. I have no idea if that's out there anywhere either but it sure would be cool to hear. Back to ACL, I'll never forget Patterson's heartfelt eulogy or seeing Cooley up on the big screen when he dug into "Give My Love To Rose". I only attended a couple of the ACL Music Fests (the first two) but I'm very glad I caught the ones I did.

Rocky

Re: DBT's Salute Cash at ACL Music Fest 9.20.03

Post by Rocky »

Man this sounds like something to hear!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Kudzu, talk about a blast from the past? I was at the Chicago show Patterson spoke of at ACL. He talked about his vision either before "cpp" or 'all night long'. I can't remember. Hell, it may not been before either one of 'em, but I do remember him talking about June whooping up a big ole southern dinner cause the man had come home. Either way, thanks for sharing. Hard to believe it's been 10 years.

Also at that show (@ the Abbey in Chicago), if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Earl kicked someone trying to get on the stage in the head. But, I am tad foggy. 2003 seems like a lifetime ago.

Kudzu Guillotine

rockreid wrote:Kudzu, talk about a blast from the past? I was at the Chicago show Patterson spoke of at ACL. He talked about his vision either before "cpp" or 'all night long'. I can't remember. Hell, it may not been before either one of 'em, but I do remember him talking about June whooping up a big ole southern dinner cause the man had come home. Either way, thanks for sharing. Hard to believe it's been 10 years.

Also at that show (@ the Abbey in Chicago), if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Earl kicked someone trying to get on the stage in the head. But, I am tad foggy. 2003 seems like a lifetime ago.

I thought for sure that his vision was also included in "A Note From the Hood" back then but I wasn't able to find it online anywhere. That's what led me to panicstream.net, the site that's hosting the tribute. I'm pretty sure he started off the DBT's set by telling us about his vision, then they kicked into "Carl Perkins' Cadillac". At least that's how I remember it. Not to mention the skies opening up just before they started playing. From the recording, it sounds like he shared his vision during the proper Cash tribute as well. I remember that as soon as the Truckers were done, they all hopped on a golf cart and drove over to the stage where they were performing as soon as the tribute was over.

I can't clarify about the Abbey incident but I do seem to recall Cooley kicking someone in the head that tried to grab his guitar. If memory serves, it was a Flying V but don't hold me to that. That would have been way back during the days of the DBT's Yahoo Group list. It's also possible that it could have been Earl. Maybe one of our resident historians can confirm. I'm sure it's in the list archives over there but that would take a lot of searching to find. Back then, that was really the only way of keeping up with what was going with the Truckers as there were no boards devoted to them, at least as far as I can remember. Well, I do remember at least one (on EZ boards) but it didn't last long and never really caught on. The list was always more popular in those days.

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Here's the Abbey gig:

http://archive.org/details/dbt2003-09-12.flac16

The 'vision' is in the 1st banter part of the recording, the head kickin' is towards the end of Carl Perkin's.

Kudzu Guillotine

rockreid wrote:Here's the Abbey gig:

http://archive.org/details/dbt2003-09-12.flac16

The 'vision' is in the 1st banter part of the recording, the head kickin' is towards the end of Carl Perkin's.

Thanks. Curiosity got the best of me and I was just sifting through the archives of the DBT's list and found this:

One exception to the "cool folks at Abbey Pub" argument: The guy who
jumped onstage the first night and was knocking shit over. Earl looked
like he was going to kill him and the band gave a quick lecture about
how the band gets the stage and the audience doesn't.

I have a lot of very fond memories of that list. Too bad it's all but come to a complete halt in recent years. It's fun to read about people's reactions to hearing "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" for the first time and the heyday of when Jason was still in the band.

Kudzu Guillotine

Jason taking the lead on "I Walk the Line" from the Cash tribute set. Audio only, no video.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Don't know if the links still work, but these were all on the covers compilation I posted on welfare-music.blogspot.com
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.