Peter Buck and Patterson Hood "Roswell"

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Peter Buck and Patterson Hood "Roswell"

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This track will be on Buck's second solo record which is due sometime in the immediate future, with Mississippi Records you really never know for sure. A link to the song as well as the inspiration behind it here.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Peter Buck and Patterson Hood "Roswell"

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Pretty cool. I want to read the book now.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Pretty cool. I want to read the book now.

Same here and not that it has all that much to do with the song but late last night I pulled the trigger on tickets to see Buck and Kevn Kinney at the 40 Watt in November. At $5 a pop they're really next to impossible to turn down. I'm kindly surprised that concert didn't sell as soon as it was announced.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Pretty cool. I want to read the book now.

Same here and not that it has all that much to do with the song but late last night I pulled the trigger on tickets to see Buck and Kevn Kinney at the 40 Watt in November. At $5 a pop they're really next to impossible to turn down. I'm kindly surprised that concert didn't sell as soon as it was announced.

I saw that show listing a few weeks ago and immediately bought tickets to it also. I figured at that price I'd be an idiot not to and expected to get an error code at check out saying the price wasn't valid or a call/email the next day saying we meant to charge $50 not $5. Either way I'm excited to see that show! :P

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

I'm in for that gig as well. For $5 usd could end up being one of the best shows this fall. See y'all there.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Wow, I lived this song myself.
"It's in my heart. For better or worse, I'm a Southerner."
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

I had to wait until my lunch break since the company filters wouldn't let me listen to the song at my desk. I grew up in Roswell and I'm of the last generation (I'm 35) that got to see the horses and farms, dirt roads and tin shacks there, though most of the share croppers mentioned in the song had long since died or moved away or been moved away. I can remember some of the ante-bellum style homes before they gave way to the more modern subdivisions that littered the landscape and when the congested Hwy 92 was widened to 6 lanes, a project that took up the bulk of my teenage years. I remember our town changing as more folks moved in from other parts of the world and the country and I can remember thinking that it seemed like there were getting to be fewer and fewer natives around. The mom and pop shops gave way to national chain stores and the local grocery marts were replaced by super markets, the local hardware stores eventually giving way to the walmarts and home depots and pretty soon having to look real hard to find a place that still sold things like coke kept cool in an old metal refrigerator where the chilling element would bring the temp down to almost freezing. Or fishing bait or a clerk that would just ask you "now, you're 21 right?" as opposed to making you show your ID to buy beer, these places were as closely kept secret as where the best fishing holes were in my hometown. I remember the very landscape changing and getting my first taste of nostalgia for how things used to be, especially when I spent a few years on the road and away from my hometown of Roswell.
I don't live there any more but I work in Alpharetta and live near by in a place called Canton, it's not much of a town but more of just an area where they once again have plowed over the pastures and put up street signs. I still drive through Roswell and along the same areas mentioned in the song and find myself pointing out places that used to occupy the spaces that are now something different. My friends have heard the stories about how the crowded intersection used to be the start finish line for drag races and how the new Publix parking lot was where I got my first taste of beer and teenage freedom in the form of a field party. There are still some dirt roads but they aren't occupied by farmers any more but more so by people who wanted the land but didn't want to work the land so they planted houses instead. Roswell ceased to be the town that I remember from my youth a long time ago, but every where I look I can still see images in my mind of the town it used to be.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

psychobilly, that is beautiful.

on another note entirely, the cover designer of the book should be shot.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Any Mountain

Post by Any Mountain »

psychobilly,

thanks so much for sharing that. sounds like it belongs in that song :D

I've lived in ATL for 13 years and to me, Roswell has always been a suburb. sad to hear how it used to be. i think i get a literal taste of the old roswell when i ever get up there for some Swallow at the Hollow 8-)

as far as this song goes, i could listen to a triple album's worth of droning guitars with patterson talking about growing up in the south, ARS road cases and the like. great stuff!

Kudzu Guillotine

From February 28th at the Georgia Theatre. BTW, this song was evidently misidentified early on as "Roswell". There is a track by that name on Peter Buck's new solo record but it's an instrumental.

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

This was last Friday, February 28th, Peter Buck/Alejandro Escovedo. Kevin Kinney joined a few minutes later with Honeysuckle Blue (I think Patterson had left at this point but I was not in the best form so if you hear differently from someone else, I'd believe them).

Will

Post by Will »

litdimly wrote:This was last Friday, February 28th, Peter Buck/Alejandro Escovedo. Kevin Kinney joined a few minutes later with Honeysuckle Blue (I think Patterson had left at this point but I was not in the best form so if you hear differently from someone else, I'd believe them).

No, you're right. Kevn did come back to play with Alejandro, Peter and company on "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog." Both Peter and Alejandro said they were recording their sets for live albums.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

It was my understanding that the 2nd album has already been released in a very small number and had sold out... :(
It's Great To Be Alive........

Kudzu Guillotine

litdimly wrote:This was last Friday, February 28th, Peter Buck/Alejandro Escovedo.

Thanks, I corrected the date. I mistakenly went by the upload date on YouTube without doing the legwork to confirm it first.

loopyhelsbells wrote:It was my understanding that the 2nd album has already been released in a very small number and had sold out... :(

There were only 2000 copies pressed of the first one. I forget the numbers for the new one (Back to Blow Your Mind Once Again) but according to an interview I read with Buck recently (that I can't seem to find at the moment), he increased the number of pressings this time so it wouldn't be as difficult to find. To my knowledge, it's not sold out. Amazon presently has 12 copies in stock but I'm sure there are other outlets carrying it as well. I know Schoolkids Records in Raleigh has it. If you want to give them a holler, they do mailorder. The number is 919.821.7766.

Will

Post by Will »

I went to the merch table between sets and they had a stack of signed copies of Peter's new album. I decided I'd pick one up at the end of the night so I wouldn't have to keep up it with during Alejandro's set. When he was done, all they had was unsigned copies. The point is, I'm an idiot.

Alibori

Post by Alibori »

Hello,

I have a question regarding to this song Patterson Hood wrote with Peter Buck and titled as „Southerner“.

Is there a possibility to get the lyrics of this great piece of music? These aren’t available in the internet so far and it would be really great to have them here and to understand all the words used in that song.

Thank you for your answer in advance!

Take care
Alibori

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

very cool song!!!

Kudzu Guillotine

Alibori wrote:Hello,

I have a question regarding to this song Patterson Hood wrote with Peter Buck and titled as „Southerner“.

Is there a possibility to get the lyrics of this great piece of music? These aren’t available in the internet so far and it would be really great to have them here and to understand all the words used in that song.

Thank you for your answer in advance!

Take care
Alibori
If you're on Facebook I'd suggest contacting the folks at The R.E.M. Timeline, they may be able to help you out.