Memphis, TN 11/09/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Fool No Where

Re: Memphis, TN 11/09/2013

Post by Fool No Where »

rollin through texarkana in a few hours to pick up some coors for tonight. see ya'll muthafuckahs at the rawk show!
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Beaverdamsfinlaw

Post by Beaverdamsfinlaw »

Tickets in hand. It's been four months since my last show, I'm really starting to jones.
My son is my DD you got to love adult children.
Just my reflection in my mama's tears

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm about to leave the house and get there too fucking late to get on the rail and I'm too ready to really give a damn. Just please please please don't let this show sell out till I have a ticket in hand.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'm about to leave the house and get there too fucking late to get on the rail and I'm too ready to really give a damn. Just please please please don't let this show sell out till I have a ticket in hand.

Tix still left through MInglewood website.

Just printed mine off and about to leave the house.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

this motherfucker is packed!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Grand Canyon
Ghost To Most
Sinkhole
Buford Stick
Devil Don't Stay
Heathens
Marry Me
Buttholeville
Get Downtown
Why Henry Drinks
Don't be in Love Around Me
Women Without Whiskey
World of Hurt
Three Dime Down
Play it All Night Long
Self Destructive Zones
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Wild horses
Birthday boy
G g all in
Love like this
Living bubba
Ltbr
Zip city
Plane
Angels and Fuselage
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

jr29

Post by jr29 »

That was a marathon night......bout 4.5 hours.
Looking forward to Nashville later today.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Was there a stream last night?

I had an email notification from TDS/Ustream in my mailbox this morning from last night stating they were online streaming, but could have been a different band. Hate I missed it. I did catch part of the panic stream.....

If so, hoping for DBT stream tonight!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

See, good crowds get good encores
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beergut

Post by beergut »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Grand Canyon
Ghost To Most
Sinkhole
Buford Stick
Devil Don't Stay
Heathens
Marry Me
Buttholeville
Get Downtown
Why Henry Drinks
Women Without Whiskey
World of Hurt
Three Dime Down
Play it All Night Long
Self Destructive Zones
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Wild horses
Birthday boy
G g all in
Love like this
Living bubba
Ltbr
Zip city
Plane
Angels and Fuselage

Looks like one helluva show!
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Lordy!!
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

It was a really good show.

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Grand Canyon

I was real happy to finally hear this. It was a wonderful start to the show.

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Why Henry Drinks

And these. I'm unfamiliar enough with the first two that I thought Why Henry Drinks was a new song. And does anyone else think Don't Be In Love Around Me might have re-appeared as a bit of commentary on the last band departure?

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Self Destructive Zones

Am I forgetful, or has Patterson started singing essentially a second lead on this song?

Right around here there may have been some assholery happening behind me and to my left. I'm still unclear on what happened but I enjoyed the company on my left more before than after. (The company on my right was a lot of fun, and I agree with her the woman dancing behind her should have tipped her.) I think the potential asshole was also the guy yelling Daddy's Cup as the band returned, which both endeared me to him--I'd love to hear that song--and kind of pissed me off since we aren't going to get it in a band show if we don't get it in a Cooley solo show.

Lurleen McQueen wrote:G g all in

I like it abbreviated like this!

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Plane
Angels and Fuselage

This is my favorite show ending. They're doing something different toward the end of Plane and I like it. I like Greenville to Baton Rouge a lot too, and I wish they'd bring it back. On the other hand, Angels and Fuselage puts Patterson front and center (other than Cooley's harmonica playing). Putting Plane directly before Angels and Fuselage gives Cooley a good strong song right before that, and Greenville to Baton Rouge would unbalance that. On the gripping hand, I really do love that song, especially the three-guitar finale.

It was good seeing people and meeting people, both from and not from the board. I have some very fine memories associated with that venue and now I have some more.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

That's it for the reviews?!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Markalanbishop wrote:That's it for the reviews?!

I will gladly take the bait. This was the second night I have seen the Old 97's open this year and I have enjoyed both shows a great deal. I don't know how Ken Bethea can play guitar and have folks in the crowd who don't enjoy it. (someone else posted something very similar earlier in the week)... They didn't play "Niteclub", which is my favorite Old 97's song, but I still enjoyed them.
As for the Truckers, they played a LONG time. First listen to "Grand Canyon" and I liked what I heard.
I don't know why this never really hit me until last night, but Cooley's rhythm during "Sinkhole" is very Luther Perkins-like.
"Buttholeville" never disappoints.
"GG" was great and it included Patterson's fun story behind the song. A guy standing beside me wasn't really into most of the show, but was screaming every lyric.
The encore was basically a second set....nine songs.
The crowd was massive and rowdy most of the night. It did dwindle toward the end of the show, but I kind of understand because it was an extremely long show. I walked through the doors around 8:15 and DBT finished around 1:25.

Beaverdamsfinlaw

Post by Beaverdamsfinlaw »

Great show! Three hours of sleep Saturday night, ears quit ringing about 4:00 Sunday afternoon (I was a little close to the speakers).
Still smiling
Just my reflection in my mama's tears

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:That's it for the reviews?!

Sorry. We hightailed it out of Memphis at about 9:00 AM yesterday after a few hours of sleep so we could get back to Jackson and take my mom out to brunch for her birthday. Just got online briefly yesterday. So here we are. It was a barnburner of a show, about 2 hours and 40 minutes in total playtime, 27 songs. It felt like a good one out of the box but I'm going to state right here and now that I'm not sure when or if I'll ever make it through Grand Canyon live with a dry eye. In fact it's probably not going to happen. It's a beautiful song though and the noisy avant garde ending is perfect. From there on out it was pedal to the metal Rock Show. Buford stick was an unexpected surprise and the die hards all loved it. I thought the crowd was ok most of the night although there was a lot of skuffling up front and one of our friends from Tupelo was physically threatened on the rail (after being there from minute one) and was actually told he would be beaten up after the show if he didn't surrender his spot. Unfortunately we didn't see this or we would have alerted security. He only told us after leaving the venue and texting Lurleen. Another of their crowd shoved and pushed with me for and his girlfriend actually asked me to give up ground but as anyone who knows me knows, homey don't play that. Still it hardly ruined our mood. The boys were in great spirits on stage and, as has been noted elsewhere, Jay is just on fire these days. Sad that we have to wait three months to see that explosive guitar/keys combo again. I mentioned to Lurleen that I don't miss the pedal steel at all. I love that sound but this version of DBT doesn't need it. The 9 song encore was just great. Wild horses is, apart from being a great song, a really nice pick for the boys and they play it beautifully. The rest of the encore was rocking with every last bit of energy the band and the crowd had. By Angels and fuselage we were all drained with huge, but slightly weary, smiles on our faces. Now we have to wait three months before we rock again. Thus endeth my tenth calendar year of Rock Shows.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I thought the crowd was ok most of the night although there was a lot of skuffling up front and one of our friends from Tupelo was physically threatened on the rail (after being there from minute one) and was actually told he would be beaten up after the show if he didn't surrender his spot. Unfortunately we didn't see this or we would have alerted security. He only told us after leaving the venue and texting Lurleen.

Just to get technical, he wasn't quite there from minute one. He was the fourth guy in line. We spent a lot of time talking there in line and at times during the show. I really liked him. I tried to catch his eye when it looked like something was happening with him, but we'd been talking about rail etiquette earlier and the conditions under which we sometimes gave up a good spot to someone who looked deserving, and I wasn't sure that wasn't what was happening. I'm really sorry I didn't know what was going on.

The worst of it, in some ways, is that he'd brought a friend who'd never seen the Truckers before. What a bummer for your first show!

In retrospect, I wonder whether that hand that kept landing on my left shoulder might have been someone trying to intimidate me off the rail. I just never looked at whoever it was, a policy that has continued to serve me well over the years.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: I mentioned to Lurleen that I don't miss the pedal steel at all. I love that sound but this version of DBT doesn't need it.

Beg to differ. Do they "need" it? I guess not because the shows have been pretty smoking. But there are an awful lot of songs where the pedal steel is pretty integral to the sound. Plus as amazing as Wild Horses is, imagine if there was pedal steel in the mix.
If you don't run you rust

John A Arkansawyer

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote: I mentioned to Lurleen that I don't miss the pedal steel at all. I love that sound but this version of DBT doesn't need it.

Beg to differ. Do they "need" it? I guess not because the shows have been pretty smoking. But there are an awful lot of songs where the pedal steel is pretty integral to the sound. Plus as amazing as Wild Horses is, imagine if there was pedal steel in the mix.

And horns.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'm not sure where Memphis leaves off and the Truckers pick up. This will likely read like a New York Times travel op-ed but so be it..

"48 hours in Memphis"

Landed at 1:00 on Friday, checked into the Peabody and walked around Main st and the area just around our hotel. Had some drinks (some swankier place called flight then a place down the street called the Green Beetle) and got a feel for the city. We had some good friends drive in from Little Rock so hooked up w them, drinks at Huey's then went to Rendezevous for dinner. It was overhyped (ribs were over seasoned in my opinion, I know they're known for that dry rub) but it didnt take away from the experience. Pitchers of Bud, racks of ribs and the cheese and meat plate. They crank and we had a blast, glad we did it and everyone had been warned it wasn't 'all that'. From there was our Friday night on Beale St. It wasn't as big or sprawling as I expected but cool scene. I forget all the bars we went to but saw a whole range of great live music, from a funky, small blues band set up in the corner of a bar to a well dressed, more professional looking outfit at BB KIngs. I do recall drinking Divers (some guaranteed hangover drink w beer, champagne, rum and fruit punch?) at some Irish place. They had a great band but playing lame 80s music. Finished up around 2 w just a few more ribs and some steak fries at Blues City Cafe. Just for good measure.

Woke up fairly banged up on Sat morning, had a few mimosas and then walked down to Gus's Fried Chicken for what can only be described as a life changing meal. Son of a bitch, never had fried chicken even close to that good! the Greens were killer and pies had just come out of the oven so we had a few slices of their pecan and coconut for the table. In a heavenly, woozy food coma, we cabbed it to the STAX museum. Hangovers and fried chicken were hitting my system at that point so I wasn't at 100% but it was awesome. The home of Soul Music! I suppose I get why, but they show a 20 min film of their history first but never explain the end, or downfall of the company. Further Google research proved it was a combination of MLK/racial issues and a bunch of bad business deals. Coolest thing in the museum for me was Isaac Haye's gold Cadilac, complete w furry carpet and bar/fridge in the back! PIMP. After a quick power nap we walked down to Central BBQ. Their BBQ is the real deal- 100% legit. As it turned out, it was just across the street from the Lorraine Motel where MLK was shot. Cool but eery to actually stand thre and look at it, a view everyone knows from history.

And finally, on to the Rock Show! Minglewood Hall is a cool space but kind of an odd building. It's a whole city block with all sorts of other things going on inside (dance studio, tatoo parlor, other room for music, etc)- Stage is set back in the corner so the floor opens up differently than most rectangular venues. I had heard some Old 97s but never seen them. Like the majority of folks on this board (from what I've gathered), I didn't dig em at all. They weren't bad by any means but it was nothing more than background music that went on for way too long. a 45 min opening set would have been better. And then the Truckers... what can you say? I;ve never seen anything close to a bad show from them and Sat night was no different. It was close to 3 hrs!! Easily the longest DBT show I;ve seen. The encore was like a mini set in its own. First time hearing Grand Canyon, very nice song, esp knowing what it's about. Made the '1st listen' a lot more poignent. It seems they played almost all of the Alabama Ass Whoopin' by the end. The Wild Horses was killer.. Knew it was coming but didn't know how good it would be. They nailed it, great sing along. People were fading off by that point but ya really can't blame anyone. For the casual music fan, it was a long night of music. Almost 5 hours all said and done! By the time we got the Shut up and Get on The Plane there was plenty of room to get down and dance and get a bit rowdy. The leaner and meaner DBT has def gelled more since I saw them in Boulder this past April. And this isn't a negative as we all know things happen and you make due the best you can, but I still miss the hell out of the pedal steel. Right out of the gate, Ghost to Most isn't the same without it.. Part of what attracted me to the band originally was the steel. And is it sustainable in the long run to have Jay playing keys and guitar, sometimes on the same song? It's not a knock on Jay, dude has earned the title of hardest working man in show business! And he kills it on both intruments, it just seems a bit odd to do that double duty for the forseeable future. But the plus side is Cooley on slide and more lead guitar work from both Patterson and Cooley. It's not a knock but not sure I saw Cooley even flash a smile all night. Cooler than cool up on stage. And unless I never paid attention prior, he's rarely using a pick. It's 90% finger picking, guessing as a result of his acoustic shows? Not sure if it was because Memphis is a town that goes late or because it's a town Cooley and Patterson used to live but they gave it 110% Sat night, just a tremendous evening of rock wrapping up around 1:30!

Brunch on Sunday at a place called the Majestic, an old movie house converted to a great looking restaurant. Bottles of champagne, live jazz and old cartoons playing on the screen. Great food and a great way to wrap up the wkend. In a cab at 12:15 and back on the ground in Denver by 2:45. Literally, we couldn't have asked for a more well rounded and great experience in Memphis.
Last edited by Gaetzi on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:

Fair enough. This is where i probably differ from a lot of folks who think certain things "belong" in a songs be it instrumentation, a certain lead line or even a vocal melody. Listen to the same Bob Dylan song from the three different decades and they bear almost no relation to each other. I love it when songs grow like that. Sinkhole has become something totally different from the DD version over time as have many DBT songs. Hell I love Cooley's acoustic version of Marry Me that doesn't even have the signature riff which I couldn't have imagined but somehow really works. Songs to me are living things that change and grow and breathe. When the pedal steel was there I loved it but I also love the new things I hear from all three guitarists now. Short of a kazoo part in Zip City or Living Bubba these ears are open to anything.

John A Arkansawyer

The Old '97s didn't change my life or anything, but I enjoyed them and didn't find their lyrics terribly cliched--and I was listening for that. They were one of my favorite openers so far. But they aren't Don Chambers and GOAT or The Hold Steady, two bands I'd go see any time.

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Short of a kazoo part in Zip City or Living Bubba these ears are open to anything.

The only thing that really bothers me about people singing along is that it makes it hard to hear that great beautiful descending vocal line that closes Zip City.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gaetzi wrote:but I still miss the hell out of the pedal steel. Right out of the gate, Ghost to Most isn't the same without it.. Part of what attracted me to the band originally was the steel. And is it sustainable in the long run to have Jay playing keys and guitar, sometimes on the same song? It's not a knock on Jay, dude has earned the title of hardest working man in show business! And he kills it on both intruments, it just seems a bit odd to do that double duty for the forseeable future.

Essentially what they've done is replace the pedal steel by giving more prominence to the keyboards, which are now getting solos and are heard much more louder in the mix throughout the show. I realize that DBT has always had an evolving sound and this is apparently the way they are currently evolving. But in 30+ years of listening to rock music, I've never really been a fan of keyboards over guitars. In my (admittedly warped) mind, keyboards do have their place - but given a choice, I'd take an extra guitar over a keyboard pretty much any day of the week. The song that comes to mind first in this regard is Women Without Whiskey. Like Gaetzi said, this is not a knock on Jay. He plays the shit out of his Hammond and sounds great. I just prefer my DBT with more guitars and pedal steel and less keys.
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:Gus's Fried Chicken for what can only be described as a life changing meal.

Ain't that the truth? Neither my wife not I actually like fried chicken all that much but it was offered to us by a friend and holy fuckballs that was good shit! I have told three customers this morning that if they're ever in Memphis they need that chicken.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

As far as the city itself, it was really suprising to me how you can go from the Peabody hotel, full of well to do white folks, to unsafe ghetto in a matter of blocks. Perhaps it was so striking since I'm a Yankee, but it was hard to wrap my head around. Memphis is the true south, for both better and worse. We would ask if it was safe to walk from A to B- And people were like "you could walk, but it must be a half mile" Nothing for us, but unfathomable to the locals. Memphis is not a fit or healthy city by any stretch. I'd say 80% of the cabs we got in were vans, and 100% of those vans had a foldable ramp and a carved out back to it. Entirely for people in wheelchairs/scooters. We couldn't believe it. The south has to be the diabetes capitol of the world.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gaetzi wrote:As far as the city itself, it was really suprising to me how you can go from the Peabody hotel, full of well to do white folks, to unsafe ghetto in a matter of blocks. Perhaps it was so striking since I'm a Yankee, but it was hard to wrap my head around.

That's any city down here, especially Memphis, NOLA & Atlanta. FWIW I'd just as soon be in an unsafe ghetto as a hotel full of well-to-do white folks :lol:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Stratmanx

Post by Stratmanx »

An OUTSTANDING show !

I'm from Memphis, and play in a prominant local band, and these guys showed HOW to do it RIGHT !

First time for me to see DBT, and they worked HARD.

Been a fan for sometime now, but this was the only time to catch them not only close, but at home.

Very pleased, and exhausted by the end of the night. I can only imagine how tired they were !

"Wild Horses" was a nice surprise, done very well. Harmonies a bit off, but it was towards the end of the evening and the lads voices had to be a bit ragged by that time, but huge props just the same !

They were awfully storng, but i will admit i did miss the pedal steel. So much of thier material has that as a prominant part of the song, so without it it stands out.

That being said, I *really* wished I could have seen them with Jason, Shona and John Neff. That lineup must have been totally steller.

I recorded the show in its entirety on a Tascam DR-40 at a 96kHz/24-bit WAV rate. Incredably good recording. it was pretty funny on going thru security, guard fellow asked me what was in my jacket pocket after he gave me a feel. i told him it was my Tascam recorder. He waved me thru and told me to enjoy the show.

And you *KNEW* that Minglewood Hall being right across the street from the now defunct Antenna Club that they just HAD to play "The Night G.G. Allin came To Town"

Great Show !

gerg

Post by gerg »

Right on, G! Glad you had a good time. Love the set list.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Saturday night, I really missed the pedal steel on Ghost to Most but I think I'll ultimately like how they "replace" it. I personally equate it to Jason's slide work on WTDDS. That was absolutely badass and Johnny came in and made it his own.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Stratmanx wrote:That being said, I *really* wished I could have seen them with Jason, Shona and John Neff. That lineup must have been totally steller.
Great Show !

Here's a link to a show from 2006 that fits the bill. It was one of a handful of club shows they played that summer while on tour opening for Robert Randolph and the Black Crowes. Great recording of a great performance. They killed it that night, which also happened to be my last show with Jason as a member of the Drive-By Truckers. Patterson started the show by dedicating it to my friend Chuck Sanich who was still recovering from a massive aneurism.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2006-08-11.m1290.flac16