Memphis, TN 11/09/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gaetzi

Memphis, TN 11/09/2013

Post by Gaetzi »

Flight's booked, room at the Peabody is booked, good buddies driving in from Little Rock for the weekend.. Ready for a Sat night in TN w the Drive-by Truckers!

I've never actually been to TN before, what's the good word in Memphis? A buddy told me to get ribs at the Rendezevous. He also mentioned there is still a palpable racial tension in Memphis.. That's about all I know, other then there are ducks walking around the Peabody every afternoon.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

jr29

Re: Memphis, TN 11/09/2013

Post by jr29 »

Gaetzi wrote:Flight's booked, room at the Peabody is booked, good buddies driving in from Little Rock for the weekend.. Ready for a Sat night in TN w the Drive-by Truckers!

I've never actually been to TN before, what's the good word in Memphis? A buddy told me to get ribs at the Rendezevous. He also mentioned there is still a palpable racial tension in Memphis.. That's about all I know, other then there are ducks walking around the Peabody every afternoon.

I don't really think there is any more racial tension in Memphis than there is in most big cities. I have lived and worked there for several years of my life and I love the place.
I would recommend Central BBQ over Rendezvous. Rendezvous is good, but there are better places around town.
I would also highly recommend the STAX Museum. It is on Mclemore Avenue, just a couple miles from Minglewood Hall. The tour takes around an hour and it is worth every second.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Thanks jr29, one of the Little Rock guys also mentioned that Rendezevous was overhyped and that Paynes and Central BBQ is where it's at.

And of course we know Cooley's feelings on Memphis ;)

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Some of y'all have probably heard (or read) me say on here that my in-laws are from the Memphis area. I have probably been to Memphis 20 or so times, but I've never been to Rendevous. My in-laws don't like it, and they always take us to Blues City for b-bque which is also in the heart of downtown. I've always had a good meal at Blues City, but we're eating ribs (not pulled pork).

My father-in-law is planning to go to the show, and he's trying to talk me into going, but I don't really feel like I can swing the plane ticket and time off from work. Plus, I'm not sure how my wife would feel about me visiting her parents without her (or their grandchild)! I've only seen DBT in Memphis once...several years ago at Memphis in May (outdoor festival).

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Cozy Corner is my fave BBQ place in Memphis but take that with a grain of salt. The only other places I have been are Pig on Beale, Interstate, & Rendezvous. And I will add another recommendation for Stax. Alsum exhibit.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Definitely take the time to go tour STAX and Sun Records studios. As was said earlier, both take about an hour and are well worth it.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

www.memphisrocknsoul.org/

It's been a few years, but I remember dancing my way through the Rock and Soul museum. Another recommendation for folks coming to the show.....

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Someone please make time hurry up.

(Yes, yes, I know: No matter how much power they got, they just can't stop that clock. But can't they speed it up a little?)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

An old friend and fellow crazy man recommends Gus's Fried Chicken at 310 S Front, just off Beale.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Apparently they just opened one in Little Rock that's been getting nothing but rave reviews. It's on the radar for the wkend.. It's entirely possible I leave Memphis 15 lbs heavier and in need of some sort of cholesterol medication.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tickets purchased for this show and Nashville the following night. Gonna be a big weekend.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

My father-in-law told me he just run tickets to this show on the radio. I can't remember what the numerical name is for the station that he normally listens too; however, I know they play Drake and Zeke in the mornings!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Wow, this show is about two weeks away. Time flies I guess. Timing has never worked before to check out the Stax Museum but I think that has to happen this time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

For my crew of debaucherous scallywags, the STAX muesem will be a great way to divert a few hours of time othewise spent day drinking and watching college football.

Beaverdamsfinlaw

Post by Beaverdamsfinlaw »

Beaverdam, your one plane ride away from the rock show.
Just my reflection in my mama's tears

Southern IL Trucker

Post by Southern IL Trucker »

Got my tickets I will be at the rock show celebrating my best friend of 20 years birthday. I know I am a great friend 8-)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok all this talk from the past week has us seriously jonesing for this show. Who's in?

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'm in with a girlfriend and five other friends in tow.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

My wife and I are in for Mempho and Nashvegas the next night,woo hoo!
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We just booked for the Best Western GenX right by the venue. We're going to get in Friday night and be tourists on Saturday, it's been a while since we did that in Memphis. Very excited for the Rock Show!

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

doing the sat in, sun leave thing. gonna try to arrive early enough to tour sun records.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I am in.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

hotel is booked, new tires on the car. anyone know a memphis establishment that carries NFL action, monsters of the midway style?

Southern IL Trucker

Post by Southern IL Trucker »

Pre party most of the day down at the Buccaneer Lounge.
https://www.facebook.com/BuccaneerLoung ... 0704756181

I always stay at Rodeway Inn Memphis.
Midtown is a cool place that with great food options.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Flying out tomorrow morning, likely won't be checking here until I'm back.. I'll do my best to find you 3DD characters and introduce myself! I'm a greying 36 yr old, will be with a crew of 6 other people, guys and gals. If that looks like us, please introduce yourselves. Safe travels everyone.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Beaverdam wrote:Some of y'all have probably heard (or read) me say on here that my in-laws are from the Memphis area. I have probably been to Memphis 20 or so times, but I've never been to Rendevous. My in-laws don't like it, and they always take us to Blues City for b-bque which is also in the heart of downtown. I've always had a good meal at Blues City, but we're eating ribs (not pulled pork).

My father-in-law is planning to go to the show, and he's trying to talk me into going, but I don't really feel like I can swing the plane ticket and time off from work. Plus, I'm not sure how my wife would feel about me visiting her parents without her (or their grandchild)! I've only seen DBT in Memphis once...several years ago at Memphis in May (outdoor festival).

Sounds like a cool father in law. Enjoy it!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

48 hours! Can't wait. We're heading up there tomorrow night and making a weekend of it. We'll see y'all there!

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Trying to focus on work is a losing cause.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Fool No Where wrote:Trying to focus on work is a losing cause.

Ha! Indeed but I have two reports due that I'm desperately trying to finish before my 2:30 conference call! Of course posting on here doesn't help...

TrickyNick

Post by TrickyNick »

If you need a good breakfast the next day, go check out Miss Polly's on Beale. Go with the chicken and waffles. Can't wait to go back.