Halloween at the Vic

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Halloween at the Vic

Post by rlipps »

Halloween at the Vic in Chicago, tickets on sale tomorrow at Noon (CT)

Cubfan06

Re: Halloween at the Vic

Post by Cubfan06 »

Can't wait!!!

Thanks so much DBT! We'll be ready!

Talked to The Drifter, Mr. Fantasy, and Justin...I'm sure many more as well.

For those that haven't been I think that The Vic is really fun venue. It is in a really good neighborhood. It's a two level brew and view/venue a few of blocks down from Wrigley. It is also the place where Wilco recorded Kicking Television. I wouldn't snooze on these tickets. I believe that DBT has sold out The Vic for standard shows in the past and played a very well attended two night run there in February of 2010.

If anybody needs any tips on lodging, etc, Joelle is a wiz. But I'd more than willing to help with any tips.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

In! Just bought tix.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Cubfan06 wrote:Talked to The Drifter, Mr. Fantasy, and Justin...I'm sure many more as well.

Cool! I hope to see all of you guys there.

Cubfan06 wrote:If anybody needs any tips on lodging, etc, Joelle is a wiz. But I'd more than willing to help with any tips.

I'd appreciate any advice. I've never been to a show at the Vic. Is there any place to stay within walking distance?

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Oh man... Chicago's a long haul for me, but I do love the Vic as a venue. I'm going to have to think long and hard about this one. Why can't Halloween fall on a weekend this year?
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

uncle rickey wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:Talked to The Drifter, Mr. Fantasy, and Justin...I'm sure many more as well.

Cool! I hope to see all of you guys there.

Cubfan06 wrote:If anybody needs any tips on lodging, etc, Joelle is a wiz. But I'd more than willing to help with any tips.

I'd appreciate any advice. I've never been to a show at the Vic. Is there any place to stay within walking distance?

There is (I believe) a Comfort Inn at Clark and Diversey that isn't too far away.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

The last time I was at the Vic (two nights in a row with the Heartless Basdards - epic) I stayed at the Best Western Hawthorne Terrace. It wasn't a bad walk, and I was really impressed with the rooms.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Your options are really pretty endless with the Vic as it sits right at the Belmont El Station. Pretty easy to get downtown and not mess with any parking issues on the north side. The El runs along State Street in the loop so there are tons of options and usually really good rates available through the usual third party sites.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Cubfan06 wrote:Can't wait!!!

drt or jrob? or, I suppose, both.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

one belt loop wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:Can't wait!!!

drt or jrob? or, I suppose, both.

I would imagine so. I'm sure that Drifter will reach out to them.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok so folks over on the DBT FB page apparently think that the Vic is located in the ghetto and sucks as a venue. Not so. It's about 8 blocks from Wrigley Field and is in one of the better areas of the city. Lots of restaurants, bars and the like. As far as the venue the sound is typical for an older venue, it's fine but not state of the art. The best part is there really isn't a bad sight line in the whole place. I've probably seen 100 plus shows there. I may not live in Illinois anymore but don't bad mouth my city and one of my favorite venues. If anyone has any questions about any of it ask me, or CubFan or any of the other Chicago bunch.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok so folks over on the DBT FB page apparently think that the Vic is located in the ghetto and sucks as a venue.

DBT FB Page; you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Ya'll think it'll sell out? I'm about 90% sure I'll make the trip, but life sometimes has a way of making it difficult to go to that rock show 500 miles away that you thought was a great idea in August...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Barely_Oakely wrote:Ya'll think it'll sell out? I'm about 90% sure I'll make the trip, but life sometimes has a way of making it difficult to go to that rock show 500 miles away that you thought was a great idea in August...

Yes, but maybe not right away. I'd guess you have a month to make a decision, but if it were me I'd buy tickets. You'll have no problem getting rid of them closer to the show. Worse comes to worse someone from here may be nice enough to unload them for you show night.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok so folks over on the DBT FB page apparently think that the Vic is located in the ghetto and sucks as a venue. Not so. It's about 8 blocks from Wrigley Field and is in one of the better areas of the city. Lots of restaurants, bars and the like. As far as the venue the sound is typical for an older venue, it's fine but not state of the art. The best part is there really isn't a bad sight line in the whole place. I've probably seen 100 plus shows there. I may not live in Illinois anymore but don't bad mouth my city and one of my favorite venues. If anyone has any questions about any of it ask me, or CubFan or any of the other Chicago bunch.

Yeah, "ghetto" couldn't be anything further from the truth. There isn't even a bad neighborhood within close proximity of there. Wrigleyville and Lakeview in general couldn't be any more rich with bars. And south of there is Boystown, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, and The Loop.
As far as a venue goes, The Vic has a general admission floor with some cocktail tables elevated above the floor which are first come first serve. The upper level consists of movie theater seating. Waitresses are prevalent on the top floor and cocktail tables if you wish to run a tab.
From a sound perspective, I haven't ever had an issue there. The acoustics are clearer than The Metro, Riviera, or Aragon it seems. It wasn't built to acoustic perfection like the Park West, Auditoreum Theatre, or the Civic Opera House, but the sound there is clearer than the 40 Watt, Busters in Lexington, Pabst Theatre, Metro, or any other place that I have seen DBT.
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

People on the internet will complain about anything.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

jordasch

Post by jordasch »

Yeah, Wrigleyville sucks, but it's certainly not dangerous, unless you're allergic to assholes.

Also ughhhh I just moved to LA from Chicago like four months ago. Really wish I could hit this up!

DBT nerds more knowledgable than myself: do they ever do anything special for Halloween shows, other than dress up? I feel like they're sorta the alt country Phish, and I know Phish always goes ape shit on Halloween and covers a whole album.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Barely_Oakely wrote:Ya'll think it'll sell out? I'm about 90% sure I'll make the trip, but life sometimes has a way of making it difficult to go to that rock show 500 miles away that you thought was a great idea in August...

Yes, but maybe not right away. I'd guess you have a month to make a decision, but if it were me I'd buy tickets. You'll have no problem getting rid of them closer to the show. Worse comes to worse someone from here may be nice enough to unload them for you show night.

That's what I'm planning to do. I figure this is the show most likely to sell out on this run, so I'll buy it early and unload it if I can't make the trip.

But, really, who am I kidding?

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

jordasch wrote:Also ughhhh I just moved to LA from Chicago like four months ago. Really wish I could hit this up!

Come to Tahoe!

- bubba

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

jordasch wrote:Yeah, Wrigleyville sucks, but it's certainly not dangerous, unless you're allergic to assholes.

Also ughhhh I just moved to LA from Chicago like four months ago. Really wish I could hit this up!

DBT nerds more knowledgable than myself: do they ever do anything special for Halloween shows, other than dress up? I feel like they're sorta the alt country Phish, and I know Phish always goes ape shit on Halloween and covers a whole album.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know about the alt country Phish tag. I also don't agree that Wrigleyville sucks. Unless you are a White Sox fan or afraid to have an occasional cocktail. I know that establishments down there like Cubby Bear, Harry Carey's, Murphy's, Slugger's, Casey Moran's or John Barleycorn's, can be saturated with a client-base of intoxicated 20-something year olds, but for every one of those places there are 15 bars within an 8 block radius that are chill and fine establishments to partake a cocktail and some food in. And even the trendy pre and post ballpark venues, which I mentioned above won't be nearly as obnoxious, because the Cubs won't be playing. After all, it will be October on the North Side of Chicago.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

jordasch wrote:alt country Phish

(vomits violently)
ain't no static on the gospel radio

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

jordasch wrote:Yeah, Wrigleyville sucks, but it's certainly not dangerous, unless you're allergic to assholes.

They did dress up as Kiss in 2009 on Halloween at Voodoo in NOLA but that is the only time of which I am aware. I used to listen to Phish a lot in the 1990's but not much since. Never thought of them as alt-country Phish though. Farmhouse? I certainly have never seen one dress up for DBT. Go for it! Someone could be the first.

gepman

Post by gepman »

blackwll wrote:

They did dress up as Kiss in 2009 on Halloween at Voodoo in NOLA but that is the only time of which I am aware. I used to listen to Phish a lot in the 1990's but not much since. Never thought of them as alt-country Phish though. Farmhouse? I certainly have never seen one dress up for DBT. Go for it! Someone could be the first.

10-31-10 - Charlotte - They all dressed as cops

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Damn, I would love to make this, especially since I now have business reasons for regularly being in the Chicago area. But I'm not missing out on Trick or Treating with the kids. Have a blast, everybody.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

sg207 wrote:Damn, I would love to make this, especially since I now have business reasons for regularly being in the Chicago area. But I'm not missing out on Trick or Treating with the kids. Have a blast, everybody.

Yeah, the trick or treating aspect occurred to me yesterday as well. Especially, with this being my daughter's first time trick or treating. 10/31 is a gonna be a hustle for me. Close our fiscal year. Hopefully be out of the office at 3:30. Take the daughter trick or treating early and than jump on the train and arrive prior to their opener. If I didn't live in the area, it would be impossible.

TC, I am sorry you can't make it. In honor of you, DBT, and Lexington, Kentucky , I am going to try to coerce Drifter and Mr. Fantasy to team up for these matching get-ups! Don't go having a grabber on me. It certainly beats the "Who the Fuck is John Neff (Richards-esque)?" t-shirts that I wanted print up for the 40 Watt this year. (Glad I decided against that this year)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
sg207 wrote:Damn, I would love to make this, especially since I now have business reasons for regularly being in the Chicago area. But I'm not missing out on Trick or Treating with the kids. Have a blast, everybody.

Yeah, the trick or treating aspect occurred to me yesterday as well. Especially, with this being my daughter's first time trick or treating. 10/31 is a gonna be a hustle for me. Close our fiscal year. Hopefully be out of the office at 3:30. Take the daughter trick or treating early and than jump on the train and arrive prior to their opener. If I didn't live in the area, it would be impossible.

TC, I am sorry you can't make it. In honor of you, DBT, and Lexington, Kentucky , I am going to try to coerce Drifter and Mr. Fantasy to team up for these matching get-ups! Don't go having a grabber on me. It certainly beats "Who the Fuck is John Neff (Richards-esque)?" t-shirts.

Nice. :lol:

Curious though, doesn't most of McHenry County do Halloween on the weekend before or after 10/31 when it falls on a weekday? I thought they had eliminated the weekday trick or treating round those parts.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

TC, I am sorry you can't make it. In honor of you, DBT, and Lexington, Kentucky , I am going to try to coerce Drifter and Mr. Fantasy to team up for these matching get-ups! Don't go having a grabber on me. It certainly beats "Who the Fuck is John Neff (Richards-esque)?" t-shirts.

Nice. :lol:

Curious though, doesn't most of McHenry County do Halloween on the weekend before or after 10/31 when it falls on a weekday? I thought they had eliminated the weekday trick or treating round those parts.

3-7 pm on the 31st.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Ugh, we sure picked the wrong week to go to the Bahamas. Brutal. Detroit and Chicago misses..... Living vicariously through you fornicators.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Erdlivz wrote:Ugh, we sure picked the wrong week to go to the Bahamas. Brutal. Detroit and Chicago misses..... Living vicariously through you fornicators.

A Chicago crew isn't the same without you, but I think you'll be just fine chilling in the Bahamas with your better half. And when I say better, I mean better...much better. (Even though she is a dirty, fucking Red Wings fan)

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Ticket purchased. Travel plans in the works. Let's do this.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.