Toronto 11/2/13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Toronto 11/2/13

Post by beantownbubba »

All you need to know about Bowie: We got our money back. It was unbelievably, overwhelmingly crowded. Couldn't see a thing. Lines (not merely crowds, lines) for every individual display/exhibit. Looked like it was probably pretty good if you could get near it. Oh well. At least this way we got back to the hotel in time for a nap. Yeah, I'm that old.

FWIW, we had a very nice lunch at Le Kensington Bistro and enjoyed walking around the Kensington Market area. Saw a comic book store which claimed to have over one million comics for sale. Saw a head shop whose slogan is "serving the pothead community for, ah...I don't remember."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just sayin'...

We've got an extra hour to play w/ tonight, boys...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What can I say? The band was on fire with an air tight wall of sound and many in the crowd are among the best damn people on earth. ;)

A tale of 2 concerts: The first 5 or so songs - slow, a little "off", some good versions, espy "Love Like This" but easily the most different opening of any DBT show i've seen. Then a freight train came barreling through the club and knocked everyone flat while melting faces for miles around. Wow. Plus an actual true life earned, demanded and given 2d encore (angels & fuselage).

The band seems to be playing around a lot more w/ feedback and dissonance (well beyond the usual A&F ending) mostly to good effect.

Many highlights including "Wild Horses" and a version of "World of Hurt" during which Cooley's solo absolutely slayed the crowd. A sort of strange segue from "World of Hurt" to "Shut Your Mouth" worked marvelously. "Zip City" seemed to be played at a just barely slower than usual tempo but that slight lag behind the beat gave the song some extra oomph, maybe even a little menace. The band may have discovered the unified theory of country, country-rock, alt-country and rock during Steve McQueen, when all those genres seemed to meld into one glorious sound. In general there was a lot of 3 guitar madness - one never knew when all of a sudden the 3 guitars would just take flight in crazy but wonderful directions. I actually saw Jay Gonzalez play to the crowd, as he stepped up on a riser or something (i coudn't actually see it from my location) for a couple of solos :)

More tomorrow (later today). I love daylight savings time, but falling back is a great treat (until Sunday nite when it gets dark early enough to depress the hell out of everyone; but by then i'll be on my way to another DBT show which should be a good antidote). Off to enjoy that extra hour of sleep.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

A Ghost to Most
Heathens
Women Without Whiskey
Tales Facing Up
Love Like This
Pauline Hawkins
Marry Me
Don't Be in Love Around Me
Gravity's Gone
Why Henry Drinks
Where the Devil Don't Stay
A World of Hurt
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Steve McQueen
Self-Destructive Zones
Lookout Mountain
Encore:
Wild Horses
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Get Downtown
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore 2:
Angels and Fuselage

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

A Hell No, I Ain't Fuckin Happy for the ages. Jay, Patterson and Cooley front and center, shoulder to shoulder. Taking it I don't know the fuck where. "goodnight folks"

Canadians: no fucking way. DBT,DBT,DBT ( you sure are some loud motherfuckers)

A&F------ GOODNIGHT
Always go to the show

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Double post...oops.
Last edited by Bill in CT on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I really enjoyed this show, my first DBT show outside the USA. The stage at the Phoenix is a bit odd in that a square portion juts out beyond the monitor area into the floor of the club. I concur that Cooley's solo in World of Hurt was a highlight as was every time the three guitarists played next to each other on the forward part of the stage. I was between Jack Flash and AprilTwister which was a real pleasure. Far less so were TVA Guy and Shaker Girl. TVA Guy is so named due to his recurring tendency to scream out for said song right after he said how much he loved Patterson or Cooley. When a guy near us told him he wouldn't get that song, it had zero effect. That guy then said to me that he often has someone like TVA Guy near him...to which I gave him a sympathetic fist bump. TVA Guy also rubbed frequently against my ass with his not inconsiderable girth...sigh. Shaker Girl played along with Wild Horses and seemed surprised when I asked her to stop. She did so until Angels and Fuselage. Some people need to get a fucking clue before heading to the rock show. The crowd was otherwise great though...3dd and others alike.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Clams

Post by Clams »

Did the Old 97's open this show? Were they any good? How long was their set?
If you don't run you rust

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

Fan-fucking-tastic night! That was the biggest crowd I've seen for a Truckers show in Toronto. Great to see the support. Before this little road trip of ours I had never even heard of The Old 97's. Turned on by them Friday night at the Royal Oak and was really diggin' their set at The Phoenix last night. I was so happy to be standing beside Bill in CT. The Phoenix is admittedly not my fav venue in TO but I've always loved the sound in that room. Last night was no exception. Seemed to have a heavier bottom end, which I love. OMG what can you say about some people at shows. Friday night we dealt with Chatty Clueless Group who almost ruined Space City had Gretsch not explained proper concert etiquette. Then last night was TVA man. "TVA" "Play TVA" "TVA" "Please play TVAaaaaaa". Talk about an ear worm. Minor nuisances when compared to the great show that was in front of me. I think the band truly enjoys playing Toronto and the crowd brought it last. I was proud of us loud muthafuckers. Got us the 2nd encore and me no voice this morning. Top night.
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Clams wrote:Did the Old 97's open this show? Were they any good? How long was their set?

Yes, they opened & played too fucking long. Their sound check delayed the doors being opened & then they went over their time by about 15 minutes. They're not as God awful as Langhorne Slim but I've had enough.

On the other end of the spectrum DBT was a slow burn into an high energy kind of night. The stage was lined with 3dd., April Twister, Bill in CT, Jack Flash, Emily, UR, me & OBL. Bubba, Jonicont & Gretch were in the crowd cheering DBT on.

Super sweet shout out from Patterson, dedicating LTBR to UR, myself, Jonicont & 3dd.

So cool to see Matt & Jay playing together on one side of the stage while Cooley & Patterson played together on the other side. You could feel the joy oozing from the stage.
The 3 guitar attack within an inch of my head was stunning.
Nice mix of old favorites with the trusty rockers.
Really hoping for People Who Died tonight, it hasn't shown up in the first 4 shows of this run.
You never know what they'll play, so ready for anything. Maybe this will be the show we get a song we're chasing or one we've heard less than 5 times. Can't wait to see what happens!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Bill in CT wrote:TVA Guy

I'll never forget him!

Hell of a show last night. I shall not attempt to cheapen it with my feeble words. Emily and I just got home. It was great to see everyone as always, hope it won't be long before the next time rolls around.

Emily

Post by Emily »

My face melted off and my soul has be rejuvenated.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust