DVDoftheW - Live at the 40 Watt

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: DVDoftheW - Live at the 40 Watt

Post by Beaverdam »

I'd watched the DVD this many, many, many times, but never owned a copy until my wife just bought it for my birthday. What a great gift!

I watched the first part this morning while on the elliptical machine downstairs.

Who is the other woman singing with Shonna? I noticed her a couple of times?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Beaverdam wrote:Who is the other woman singing with Shonna? I noticed her a couple of times?

I could be mistaken but I think that's Kim Morgan.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

In anticipation of Homecoming since tickets went on sale I watched some of this after I got home from work. Wife and daughter were out so I could turn it up real loud.

That got me to wondering, were any of tall at these shows? I wouldn't attend my first Homecoming for another few years after this and had just become a fan when this was released. These shows look like they were barn burners.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:In anticipation of Homecoming since tickets went on sale I watched some of this after I got home from work. Wife and daughter were out so I could turn it up real loud.

That got me to wondering, were any of tall at these shows? I wouldn't attend my first Homecoming for another few years after this and had just become a fan when this was released. These shows look like they were barn burners.
I was. I'm in line during the credits - baseball cap and gray polo.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

I wasn't at those shows, but saw them 4 times that year! Truly incredible shows!!

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Harmony is an art form not easily mastered. Just because you can sing doesn't mean you can harmonize. Makes me respect those who make it seem so effortless (CSNY, Simon & Garfunkel, Avett Brothers, etc. )
There are all sorts of different kinds of harmony singing. Keith Richards' harmonies with the stones are rough but spot on every time, ditto with Ron Wood when he harmonized with Rod Stewart in the Faces. I think Jason pulled off harmonies in DBT more often than not but when he missed you noticed. Harmonies don't have to be CSN pretty to work well.
FWIW, Shonna couldn't harmonize live either

I find it ridiculously hard to sing and play bass at the same time...harmony or lead vocals. Of course, I used to find it hard to play guitar and sing at the same time and now that is second nature...so practice maybe....

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Quintessential DBT. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend at the time broke up with me because far more attention was given to this DVD than her. That sucker never left the DVD player when I was living in the 'Nati.

DD&N 2002

Post by DD&N 2002 »

Already a rabid fan after seeing my first show at the Bowery Ballroom in September 2002, these shows were my first pilgrimage to the 40 Watt and Athens. Remember being really surprised at just how small the club is and how small the stage is as well. They really feed off each other as hardly a choice in such close quarters. I think this is a very accurate account of the band right at that time and a kick to see my now younger self a couple of times in the crowd shots.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

My first shows were in 2004. The release of this DVD, which like Erd played constantly in my house through the spring and summer of 2005, made me seek the band out when they came anywhere within 6 hours often times much to the dismay of family and friends. The rest, as they say, is history.

the best thing about this release is something that Phil Lesh used to say about his favorite Grateful Dead live recordings, it's right there for you warts and all. Those warts make this thing and also give you a sense of the barely restrained chaos and power of those days. If today's version of the band live is loud in-your-face Rock, that one was in-your-face Fury. I like tightly played, ball shaking Rock and I like barely under control Fury. Probably why the Rolling Stones and the Replacements are my two favorite bands of all time with the Clash and DBT coming right after. We have been lucky as DBT fans to witness both from the same core.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

if you switch audio mixes during The Living Bubba, you'll see on one mix Patterson's flubbed lines are fixed and it doesn't line up with the video.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Does anyone know of a way to stream or download the Live at the 40 Watt dvd's? I own the dvd's but my current computers don't even have a disc drive and I don't keep a DVD player hooked up to my TV anymore. All of which means the dvd's are basically just collecting dust. Last week I bought Secret to a Happy Ending from the google play store and now that it's downloaded on my phone, I can watch it whenever I want on any computer or my phone and I can stream it onto my TV. I'd love to be able to do the same with the old 40 Watt dvd's.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck