Cooley Says

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jenn

Cooley Says

Post by Jenn »

Got a message from Cooley this morning that he wanted me to post. God I love that man. Y'all keep an eye out for people who grab stuff off the stage!

OK
This is what is on the sheets in front of me when I am doing solo shows. It's NOT a set list!
It is nothing more than a tool that I use to help me through the the show. No different than any other piece of equipment I use. They are also a pain in the ass to replace if someone thinks they are entitled to a souvenir. It's not that printing and laminating something is that hard it's not. It's just that every day I have to check into two hotels, drive the distance between cities, eat sleep and play a show, and the last thing I need is another errand! But more importantly, if it is on the stage IT BELONGS TO ME!
So here it is. Print it if you want a copy. The numbers are the fret the capo goes on and the letters are the root chord or fingering. Mystery solved.
AND KEEP YOUR GODDAMED HANDS OFF MY SHIT!

PERFECT TIMING (5)A
GHOST TO MOST (2)D
GUITAR MAN UPSTAIRS
CHECKOUT TIME
EYES LIKE GLUE
CARTOON GOLD
GRAVITY (5)D
SPACE CITY
PULASKI
MARRY ME (3)E
GET DOWNTOWN
COKE AND ICE
BIRTHDAY BOY (4)C
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS
DEVIL DON'T STAY
SHUT UP
FIRST AIR OF AUTUMN
LOVE LIKE THIS
WEAKEST MAN
SELF DESTRUCT (2)G
SOUNDS BETTER
ENGLISH OCEANS
PIN HITS THE SHELL
PANTIES

FIRST AIR OF AUTUMN
LOVE LIKE THIS
WEAKEST MAN
SELF DESTRUCT (2)G
SOUNDS BETTER
ENGLISH OCEANS
PIN HITS
PANTIES
Primer Coat

3 DIMES
FRANK
ZIP CITY
72 (2) Pin Hits
CARL (5)
WOMEN WITHOUT WHISKEY
EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE (5)
COTTONSEED (minor)
LOADED GUN
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Zip City

Re: Cooley Says

Post by Zip City »

Interesting how many capo positions he uses in solo shows that he doesn't use in rawk shows
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

He should print up extras and sell them at the merch table.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

RevMatt wrote:He should print up extras and sell them at the merch table.

There's a thought! And Jenn, you might pass on what I said on Facebook about this: "Have you considered putting it on a chain and fastening it to your music stand? You shouldn't have to, but it would keep it from walking away."
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Seriously, signed copies with the chord changes for ten bucks. That way people can go home and play the songs on their guitars.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

John A Arkansawyer

RevMatt wrote:Seriously, signed copies with the chord changes for ten bucks. That way people can go home and play the songs on their guitars.

I was thinking of it as "The DIY One-Page Mike Cooley Songbook: You already know the words."
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cooley's stuff is Cooley's stuff, seems pretty clear. And actually, printing out stuff on the road often really is a pain in the ass. I'm not here to argue or disagree.

It just struck me, though, that between this board and 9B, I've been around here for a long time and in all that time, this is the first time I can remember cooley speaking directly to us (that guns & ammo thing was posted elsewhere and copied here). Seems somehow disappointing.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

beantownbubba wrote: this is the first time I can remember cooley speaking directly to us

But only to give us a talkin' to. If we weren't such a bunch of sticky fingered little rock cleptos we'd never have heard from him.

Take home lesson: Steal Cooley's shit.
Beebs is not a ragey man

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Beebs wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: this is the first time I can remember cooley speaking directly to us

But only to give us a talkin' to. If we weren't such a bunch of sticky fingered little rock cleptos we'd never have heard from him.

Take home lesson: Steal Cooley's shit.

:lol:

whatever it takes, Beebs. I blame Penny Lane.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Post by Clams »

What's Primer Coat?
If you don't run you rust

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Just so nobody has a conniption about it, as Cooley would say, I don't believe he was directing it at this board or any fans other than the ones who steal stuff off of the stage. I posted it here more in hopes that you guys would help him look out for his stuff, not because we thought that you guys were the ones stealing his stuff. Believe me, he appreciates y'all more than you know!

-j
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:It just struck me, though, that between this board and 9B, I've been around here for a long time and in all that time, this is the first time I can remember cooley speaking directly to us (that guns & ammo thing was posted elsewhere and copied here). Seems somehow disappointing.

Keep in mind what Jenn said when she posted it: "Got a message from Cooley this morning that he wanted me to post. God I love that man. Y'all keep an eye out for people who grab stuff off the stage!" I feel a little complimented, myself.

I won't say it on Facebook, where it would be far too likely to give assholes the feeling they've got an excuse, but I'll confess it here:

After the first night at Sweetwater last April, I was sitting on the edge of the stage after the show talking with someone, and I picked up the lyric sheet to Patterson's new song which had so blown me away. I wanted to read the lyrics for myself to see whether the song was really as good as I thought after hearing it twice. (And it was.) The cat I was sitting with looked at it, too, then we put it back down. Someone else came up and started to take it, and I (maybe we--I'm not sure) told him that wasn't cool. (It hadn't occurred to me that my 'harmless' action might give others less harmless ideas.) He put it back.

Whereupon after he'd walked away (I didn't want to offend him, just keep him from lifting it), I picked it back up and gave it that underhanded toss that can move a sheet of paper some distance across a smooth surface, far enough upstage that you'd have to climb up to get ahold of it.

God knows, sometimes I'm careless of other's personal boundaries, but I'm not going to let anyone steal any musician's stuff from in front of me.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

It's when I hear of things like this that I loose my faith in mankind. Or to rephrase, my long time lost faith in mankind is re-affirmed. How is this possible at all? Why would someone want a souvenir like that unless they dig the artist and his music, and how on earth do they get idea it's okay to just go up there and take it without asking first?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

RolanK wrote:It's when I hear of things like this that I loose my faith in mankind. Or to rephrase, my long time lost faith in mankind is re-affirmed. How is this possible at all? Why would someone want a souvenir like that unless they dig the artist and his music, and how on earth do they get idea it's okay to just go up there and take it without asking first?

Taty Ades, author of Men Who Love Too Much, wrote:Pathological love is characterized by an extreme care and attention behavior, completely uncontrolled, in a love relationship. Human society meets uncountable cases, as Plato explains in “The Banquet”, which differs possessive love - the one which persecutes the other person, torments him/her until he/she gets what he/she wanted – from the divine love – which frees the suffering of someone...

Image Image Image

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Most people who walked off with the sheet probably thought it was a setlist. For bands that use setlists, they are written and printed every night, usually about fifteen minutes to half an hour before taking the stage. The roadie tapes them to the mic stand, floor or someplace where they are easily seen. They are not saved by the band after the show and grabbing one after the house lights have gone on not considered bad form by anyone involved. Cooley is just pointing out that these are his cheat sheets, NOT setlists, and he'd rather not have to locate a computer with a printer in his hotel room every night to make new ones.

No reason to condemn anyone for asshatery just because they thought they were something else. Unless, of course, they were on a music stand or lamenated. In that case it is obvious that they belong to the musician.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

RevMatt wrote:Most people who walked off with the sheet probably thought it was a setlist. For bands that use setlists, they are written and printed every night, usually about fifteen minutes to half an hour before taking the stage. The roadie tapes them to the mic stand, floor or someplace where they are easily seen. They are not saved by the band after the show and grabbing one after the house lights have gone on not considered bad form by anyone involved. Cooley is just pointing out that these are his cheat sheets, NOT setlists, and he'd rather not have to locate a computer with a printer in his hotel room every night to make new ones.

No reason to condemn anyone for asshatery just because they thought they were something else. Unless, of course, they were on a music stand or lamenated. In that case it is obvious that they belong to the musician.

Thanks for preaching to the choir, Rev. 8-)

John A Arkansawyer

bovine knievel wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Most people who walked off with the sheet probably thought it was a setlist. For bands that use setlists, they are written and printed every night, usually about fifteen minutes to half an hour before taking the stage. The roadie tapes them to the mic stand, floor or someplace where they are easily seen. They are not saved by the band after the show and grabbing one after the house lights have gone on not considered bad form by anyone involved. Cooley is just pointing out that these are his cheat sheets, NOT setlists, and he'd rather not have to locate a computer with a printer in his hotel room every night to make new ones.

Thanks for preaching to the choir, Rev. 8-)

It's a fine tradition, Bovine:

(Why, yes, I am booking them into our church on Saturday, July 27, at 8:00 PM. Why do you ask?)

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

RevMatt wrote:No reason to condemn anyone for asshatery just because they thought they were something else. Unless, of course, they were on a music stand or lamenated. In that case it is obvious that they belong to the musician.

That was how I understood it from reading his appeal. Maybe just me and the language thing again :?

They are also a pain in the ass to replace if someone thinks they are entitled to a souvenir. It's not that printing and laminating something is that hard it's not. It's just that every day I have to check into two hotels, drive the distance between cities, eat sleep and play a show, and the last thing I need is another errand!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:After the first night at Sweetwater last April, I was sitting on the edge of the stage after the show talking with someone, and I picked up the lyric sheet to Patterson's new song which had so blown me away. I wanted to read the lyrics for myself to see whether the song was really as good as I thought after hearing it twice. (And it was.) The cat I was sitting with looked at it, too, then we put it back down. Someone else came up and started to take it, and I (maybe we--I'm not sure) told him that wasn't cool. (It hadn't occurred to me that my 'harmless' action might give others less harmless ideas.) He put it back.

Whereupon after he'd walked away (I didn't want to offend him, just keep him from lifting it), I picked it back up and gave it that underhanded toss that can move a sheet of paper some distance across a smooth surface, far enough upstage that you'd have to climb up to get ahold of it.

God knows, sometimes I'm careless of other's personal boundaries, but I'm not going to let anyone steal any musician's stuff from in front of me.

Unlike the second night when Patterson gave you the lyric sheet. :)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I mean no disrespect Mr. Cooley but you do know you can make more than 1 copy at a time. :lol:

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I believe this scene from Blazing Saddles pretty much sums up Cooley's feeings on the matter:

Lili Von Shtupp: Hello, cowboy. What's your name?
Tex: Tex, ma'am!
Lili Von Shtupp: "Texmam"? Tell me, Texmam, are you in show business?
Tex: Well, no...
Lilly von Schtupp: Then why don't you get your fwiggin' feet off the stage?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

just cuz I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say

Yea folks, the take away here is keep an eye out for the douchebags and either teach them some fucking manners or stop them from committing douchebaggery. There's been too much of this kind of shit in the last year or so.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

just cuz I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say

Yea folks, the take away here is keep an eye out for the douchebags and either teach them some fucking manners or stop them from committing douchebaggery. There's been too much of this kind of shit in the last year or so.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Yea - and leave his bottle of Jack alone too......and another thing, quit talking during the music.....jeeze..

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

...love my Good N Plenty.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beergut

Post by beergut »

Not to be an ass, but the first thing I thought when I saw this thread was:

Cooley Says..........relax. :lol: :lol: :lol:
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Howlinwolf wrote:Yea - and leave his bottle of Jack alone too......and another thing, quit talking during the music.....jeeze..

yeah, no shit. saw Cooley at The Melting Point in Athens.lotta Aholes talking and shouting out stupid shit during the show. i'm gonna see him this Tuesday in Johnson City and i swear i'll slap a muthafucka for actin' up 8-)

John A Arkansawyer

LBRod wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:After the first night at Sweetwater last April, I was sitting on the edge of the stage after the show talking with someone, and I picked up the lyric sheet to Patterson's new song which had so blown me away. I wanted to read the lyrics for myself to see whether the song was really as good as I thought after hearing it twice. (And it was.) The cat I was sitting with looked at it, too, then we put it back down. Someone else came up and started to take it, and I (maybe we--I'm not sure) told him that wasn't cool. (It hadn't occurred to me that my 'harmless' action might give others less harmless ideas.) He put it back.

Unlike the second night when Patterson gave you the lyric sheet. :)

I like to think of that as "virtue rewarded (for a change)". ;-)

After being so blown away by the song--because it was really good and because I needed to hear what it had to say--I made a point of complimenting him on it that first night. He seemed genuinely pleased that it'd meant so much to me and said "Bless you" (so different from "Bless his heart"). I'm glad it pleased him. Artists should know they're appreciated. It can be a rough life inside you and a hard way to make a living. True of us all, really, but what they do comes from a place that's particularly humanly hard to replenish sometimes. So we should be human back to them and (within reason) tell them when they move us.

(Performers do have it easier than writers and artists. They get the immediate audience feedback.)

You saw my reaction when he gave me that lyric sheet--the jaw drop, the eye bulge, the whole nine yards. It was a high point of what was already an outstanding little run of shows.

And speaking of being bad with boundaries: I know better than to single out a detail of a work when it's still fresh and the artist may still be working with it. You don't want to get inside their process--that's theirs. Dumbass me did it anyway. There was a particular word choice that I really admired, and I said so.

That next night, the fucker changed that word when he sang that song! And I'll be damned if it wasn't awful fine like that, too. Maybe even better.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

for some reason, reading thru this reminds me of the "king of the dipshits" scene from sixteen candles.

myself included.

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

"Primer Coat" is another brand new song. we got it tonight in Richmond and i believe that would make it the first time ever played live. we also got "First Air Of Autumn" and "English Oceans" ("6 By 9"), so that is three brand new songs in total. all good, but "English Oceans" is definitely my favorite.

-justin