Cooley Says

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Cooley Says

Post by Duke Silver »

Setlists have been fair game since the dawn of time. I don't think mistakenly grabbing what one might think is a setlist off the stage necessarily makes someone a douchebag or an asshole or whatever.

Like bovine said, just print a whole stack of 'em!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:Setlists have been fair game since the dawn of time. I don't think mistakenly grabbing what one might think is a setlist off the stage necessarily makes someone a douchebag or an asshole or whatever.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I've always thought that if you wanted the setlist you asked for it either from the performer or a member of the crew if there is one. Just reaching and grabbing seems rude to me (unless of course everyone's long gone and it's just laying there).
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Duke Silver wrote:Setlists have been fair game since the dawn of time. I don't think mistakenly grabbing what one might think is a setlist off the stage necessarily makes someone a douchebag or an asshole or whatever.

Based on my interaction with the person in question, it was 100% entitled douchebaggery "imma get my free souvenir".

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I've always thought that if you wanted the setlist you asked for it either from the performer or a member of the crew if there is one. Just reaching and grabbing seems rude to me (unless of course everyone's long gone and it's just laying there).

If there's someone around I guess the polite thing would be to ask, but most of the time it seems like it's just a piece of paper lying there on the edge of the stage while the crew packs up.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

I kind of agree with Duke. The post makes it seem like it was done intentionally. I think it might be possible that it was done with no malice or bad intentions. Just like those Fuckers who think they might be the only person in the room that knows the words to Zip City and feel the need to sing it out as loud as possible to prove it. My last Cooley show I had to catch a ride to the Airport, hop on 2 flights(don't get me started on the walk between concourses), catch a cab to my hotel, check in, catch a cab to the venue location, find some place to eat and drink, find a cab after the show back to my hotel, sleep, get up and do it all again to get back home. MY EARS ARE MINE, KEEP YOUR GODDAMN VOCAL CORDS OUT OF THEM!

Cost of a Cooley Show
flights $160
Cabs $50
Hotel $100
Meals $25
Drinks $100
tickets $20
Not stealing Cooley's Cheat Sheet after the show.................Priceless

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm with Duke.

Of course that has more to do with this than anything:

My wife ripped a setlist off Rich Robinson's monitor 10 minutes after everyone cleared the stage.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:I'm with Duke.

Of course that has more to do with this than anything:

My wife ripped a setlist off Rich Robinson's monitor 10 minutes after everyone cleared the stage.

Awesome!
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

gerg

Post by gerg »

You ask for the set list, you don't just take it. It's not yours to take.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

When the band has left the stage and there's a crumpled up, beer stained setlist under each mic stand, I've never seen any harm in taking one as a souvenir. It's not something I do at every show I attend or anything but it does occur on occasion. If I thought it would piss off someone I'd never do it. In all of my years of attending shows I've never had that experience. However, removing a laminated setlist (or guide, as it were) that appears to be the personal property of the performer. No, I wouldn't remove that or any other similar type item from a stage. That said, the last setlist I obtained, I asked for. This was the Boomer's Story performance I saw out at the Haw River Ballroom back in May. Phil Cook (of Megafaun) was kind enough to give me his personal, handwritten setlist rather than one of the dozen or so mimeographed ones littering the stage. I thought that was very kind of him.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Technology…it’s a constant burr in my saddle.”
—Mike Cooley
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

I tend to not get caught up in the crowd of set list beggars at live shows, it reaks of drunken desperation to me, you will find me to the side of them checking out the gear that the band plays and making mental notes (my wife knows to allow for about 15 minutes for me to have my geek moment and I know not to bore her with my geeky observations in the car ride home). That being said it's been my own personal experience that once the show is over and I've removed my gear from the stage, anything left behind that isn't of any real monetary value to me or something I'll need for the next show is fair game. I know folks like to frame set lists, especially if they can get the band to autograph them so I've got no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is folks that either nab them during set break or jump up on stage as soon as the house lights go up. It's just rude, the band doesn't come to where you work on a monday and steal papers from your desk so why would you go to their office and do the same? :x

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Me ?.....I am a pick collector. I have picks from all the guys... why I collect them I don't know... I want it on record that I never jump up on stage and steal a pick in the middle of a song.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'd love it if the Truckers showed up at my office on a Monday morning and started raising hell.

But reading about the Chapel Hill show, I can understand why he was pissed and why he wrote that. Homey's busting his ass all around to put on a great show for us and what he got back was a bunch of loud, rude folks talking and shouting requests at him. Someone taking his cheat sheet, while not a big deal in the grand scheme, was just the icing on the cake that particular night. I get it.

too bad the Chapel Hill crew was so rowdy.. I guess it's hit or miss with this kind of thing. Everyone in Denver was super respectful for both shows this past winter.. Who knows, maybe it was the supermoon this past wkend? The funny thing is these are people who paid money to see Cooley, it's not like they stumbled uopn some rock concert that happpened to be going on at their favorite club. To pay money to see Cooley play solo acoustic then yell shit at him and talk through the show makes no sense.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

walthers

Post by walthers »

I am constantly amazed at many people’s behaviors at shows, especially solo acoustic ones. When people shout, talk, text, film with their phones, etc. it really distracts everyone in the room, including the performer. I see these solo shows as a rare opportunity to hear different versions of many of my favorite songs and really hate when the audience makes it about them instead of the performer. I attended the show down in Santa Monica at McCabes Guitar Store and I thought that the owner/promoter that introduced the show hit the nail on the head. He gave instructions on where the exits where and that everyone needed to grab a guitar on their way out if we needed to evacuate due to fire, he got some laughs as well as everyone’s attention. Then his final words were something to the effect that everyone needed to shut up, put their phones away and take in the moment and watch and listen to the show in real time, not through the screen on their phone. I think this resonated with the crowd as everyone was respectful and courteous and it just made for a pleasant time. It is a bummer that many people need to be reminded of how to act in public; just because you bought a ticket does not make the venue your living room.
With that said, I think many people on this board get it and it shows in the posts and conversations that I read on here every day. I think the truckers have a better audience than most, glad to be a part of it.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

last night's show at The Down Home was incredible. NOBODY shouted out stupid shit. nobody talked during any song. nobody requested any song. Cooley loved and appreciated the 130 or so fans that were there. and nobody touched shit on the stage. course Mrs. Cooley grabbed up the laminates shortly after he left the stage :) he came out to the merch table shortly after and signed stuff and took pics with all of us. very enjoyable evening. hope the Grey Eagle crowd treats him the same tonight

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:last night's show at The Down Home was incredible. NOBODY shouted out stupid shit. nobody talked during any song. nobody requested any song. Cooley loved and appreciated the 130 or so fans that were there. and nobody touched shit on the stage. course Mrs. Cooley grabbed up the laminates shortly after he left the stage :) he came out to the merch table shortly after and signed stuff and took pics with all of us. very enjoyable evening. hope the Grey Eagle crowd treats him the same tonight

Sounds awesome Wolf.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

I've never understood the practice of collecting set lists or autographs or many things that others seem to want as souvenirs. I would never photograph or video a show and god help you if you disrupt my experience by putting your camera in my face at one. I don't do Facebook. I prefer to look for experiences, emotional reactions, connections with interesting people, conversations, laughs and fun. I find that, for me, being preoccupied with documenting and collecting proof of these experiences just distracts me from something more substantial, enjoyable and quite frankly, memorable. However, I have a friend who works as a rare books and antiquities dealer and he was just involved in a transaction whereby someone bought an early Nirvana set lest for $11,000, so those of you who do collect set lists may be sitting on some unexpected profit. It's funny because during the time that that list was written, I was roommates with a promoter and when Nirvana passed through town, Dave Grohl used to sleep at our house. In retrospect I kind of regret not having stolen his socks or something, for investment purposes.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

C Peters

Post by C Peters »

Ok, burning question: I hope this is not misplaced but can anyone provide the back story on "The Stroker Ace"? Just curious about the nick name's history since I hear it 6 times a day.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

C Peters wrote:Ok, burning question: I hope this is not misplaced but can anyone provide the back story on "The Stroker Ace"? Just curious about the nick name's history since I hear it 6 times a day.

All the band members had nicknames based on Burt Reynolds' flicks; Cooley's the only one that stuck.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
C Peters wrote:Ok, burning question: I hope this is not misplaced but can anyone provide the back story on "The Stroker Ace"? Just curious about the nick name's history since I hear it 6 times a day.

All the band members had nicknames based on Burt Reynolds' flicks; Cooley's the only one that stuck.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the original nicknames were "Buford" for Patterson, "The Devil" for Rob Malone, "Birddog" for Earl Hicks, "The EZB" for Brad and John "Sho' Nuff" Neff. I thought the only one inspired by a Burt Reynolds movie was "Stroker Ace".

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Every time I see this thread I get the old Good N Plenty commercial with the train and the song that goes "Charlie says (love that Good N Plenty) only I hear it as "Cooley says" and picture a cartoon Cooley, in black and white no less, driving the train. I'm either old or insane. Probably both.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Every time I see this thread I get the old Good N Plenty commercial with the train and the song that goes "Charlie says (love that Good N Plenty) only I hear it as "Cooley says" and picture a cartoon Cooley, in black and white no less, driving the train. I'm either old or insane. Probably both.

Now I have a craving for Good N Plentys.
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the original nicknames were "Buford" for Patterson, "The Devil" for Rob Malone, "Birddog" for Earl Hicks, "The EZB" for Brad and John "Sho' Nuff" Neff. I thought the only one inspired by a Burt Reynolds movie was "Stroker Ace".

They all had decided on Burt Reynolds character names for each other at one time. I can't remember any of them except Stroker of course, but I've got it written down somewhere.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Every time I see this thread I get the old Good N Plenty commercial with the train and the song that goes "Charlie says (love that Good N Plenty) only I hear it as "Cooley says" and picture a cartoon Cooley, in black and white no less, driving the train. I'm either old or insane. Probably both.

I got a big time kick out of this post. I know I'm not old. So of you're crazy I'm right there with ya.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Thanks for reading.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:

Thanks for reading.

I subconsciously stole from a master. I bow to the scowling Neil avatar.

sorry Cortez

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Thanks for reading.

sorry Cortez

I thought you did it consciously.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

The thread title reminds of an old thread either from this board or Nine Bullets that may or may not have been titled "Cooleyfucius Says" that included lyrics and Cooley-isms.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Thanks for reading.

sorry Cortez

If you're talking baters, I'm on board. Otherwise, no.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM