DBT Albums: Week 11 Go-Go Boots

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: DBT Albums: Week 11 Go-Go Boots

Post by Cole Younger »

Rocky wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I don't get why Dancing Ricky was included here instead of I Hear You Hummin. To me the latter is a much better song. Maybe it was Shonnas choice.

Yeah man I'm with you. I Hear You Hummin' comes off the top rope and gives Dancing Rickey a suplex.

:D I love it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"I Hear You Hummin" is the most poorly written song in the DBT canon.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:"I Hear You Hummin" is the most poorly written song in the DBT canon.

Smitty, he was fucking humming, and she heard it. She fucking heard it! Observations like that aren't made every day, you know. And set to music via a saw! Time for you to get on board, dude.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I hear you hummin' while you're driving me to wine
I hear your fingertips on the steering wheel keeping time
We're almost there so I guess we better go inside
Maybe that dude will be there, that dude that helped last time
He's got good stories, He knows a hell of a lot about wine
He told us things we never heard about purple and dying
I hear you hummin', hear you hummin' all the time
You got a lot of words yet you opt for hummin' everytime

Must've been some good wine.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Like someone said earlier in the discussion of their 5 favorite Cooley songs maybe, we all come at this from different angles. Despite the lightweight lyrics of I Hear You Hummin' I like the music better than Dancing Rickey. If I never hear that song again I'll be just fine.

And if it isn't on an official release, is it in the canon? :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The music on Ricky is better to my ears than Hummin'. Lyrics are bad on both.

"I Hear You Hummin" is the most poorly written song in the DBT canon.

Yeah.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

[quote="Smitty"]"I Hear You Hummin" is the most poorly written song in the DBT canon.[/

Ha. Well I'm glad you told me.

I just said it was better than Dancing Ricky.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:
Smitty wrote:"I Hear You Hummin" is the most poorly written song in the DBT canon.[/

Ha. Well I'm glad you told me.

I just said it was better than Dancing Ricky.

I was just making a statement, wasn't directing it towards anyone in particular.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Smitty wrote:I hear you hummin' while you're driving me to wine
I hear your fingertips on the steering wheel keeping time
We're almost there so I guess we better go inside
Maybe that dude will be there, that dude that helped last time
He's got good stories, He knows a hell of a lot about wine
He told us things we never heard about purple and dying
I hear you hummin', hear you hummin' all the time
You got a lot of words yet you opt for hummin' everytime

Must've been some good wine.

I seriously misheard those lyrics. I thought the first line was "I hear you hummin' while you're drivin' me wild I feel your fingertips keeping time" and thought it was a song about cunnilingus.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Clams wrote:
Smitty wrote:"I Hear You Hummin" is the most poorly written song in the DBT canon.

Smitty, he was fucking humming, and she heard it. She fucking heard it! Observations like that aren't made every day, you know. And set to music via a saw! Time for you to get on board, dude.

...and not only that, the outro was hummed, for Christ's sake! How fucking brilliant and unexpected was that!?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

purple and dying.

wine.

get it?

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I pulled this record out today for the first time in a coupe of years, probably. And holy shit, I think it just clicked for me. Talk about a grower, this one only took 5 years :lol:

Inspired by the discussion over on the American Band thread regarding the "air" and "sound of the room" in the way this album was recorded, I decided to put it on.

Between Cartoon Gold, Ray's Automatic Weapon, The Fireplace Poker (!!! how did this one escape me when this first came out?), The Weakest Man, Pulaski, Used to Be a Cop, etc. I cannot find a skipper in the bunch (outside of everyone's favorite whipping boy, Dancin' Ricky).

I think because of the timing when this was originally released, I never gave it the proper attention.

Contrasting this style with the sound they have today, is just awesome. I love both styles. But this acoustic, airy, soulful vibe on GGB sounds great 5 years later.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Out of this and The Big To-Do, this one definitely gets more plays from me.

DebbieTrucker

Post by DebbieTrucker »

Glad to see the GGB thread is still alive lol. This album gets regular spins weekly/monthly for me. Hands down one of my favorite ever DBT albums. Songs like "Cartoon Gold, The Weakest Man, Used to Be a Cop, Pulaski and Mercy Buckets" make this album timeless for me as a listener. I have really felt a connection to DBTs albums since GGB then EO now AB. I feel GGB is a solid listen straight through. Cooley's traditional country approach with his songs especially "The Weakest Man" is a one reason I'm so partial to this album. I wish he would do an entire album that way. I have always loved the 2 punch ending of "Pulaski and Mercy Buckets" to end the album as well. I know some have said they are not as big of fans of the preacher murder tales of this album. I think the two songs really bookend that story and fit perfect with the other songs on the album. Even tho I love "Birthday Boy" like everyone else off of TBTD, I have always considered this album of the two made from the same sessions to be the far superior album. Anyway much love for GGB!

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Not sure if I said this before, but now that we are several years removed, I must say that I am really not a fan at all of the band versions of "Pulaski" and "The Weakest Man" on this album. I actually liked both of these better from run of solo-acoustic Cooley shows a couple years prior. "Cartoon Gold" on the other hand... ...well, that is just...uhhh, gold. ;)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Go Go Boots holds up.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

yes it does.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

DebbieTrucker wrote:Glad to see the GGB thread is still alive lol. This album gets regular spins weekly/monthly for me. Hands down one of my favorite ever DBT albums. Songs like "Cartoon Gold, The Weakest Man, Used to Be a Cop, Pulaski and Mercy Buckets" make this album timeless for me as a listener. I have really felt a connection to DBTs albums since GGB then EO now AB. I feel GGB is a solid listen straight through. Cooley's traditional country approach with his songs especially "The Weakest Man" is a one reason I'm so partial to this album. I wish he would do an entire album that way. I have always loved the 2 punch ending of "Pulaski and Mercy Buckets" to end the album as well. I know some have said they are not as big of fans of the preacher murder tales of this album. I think the two songs really bookend that story and fit perfect with the other songs on the album. Even tho I love "Birthday Boy" like everyone else off of TBTD, I have always considered this album of the two made from the same sessions to be the far superior album. Anyway much love for GGB!
I recently expressed my desire for the band to do a straight ahead country album but I'd settle for Cooley country.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Clams wrote:Go Go Boots holds up.
Not every song, but a whole bunch of it does.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

jr29 wrote: I recently expressed my desire for the band to do a straight ahead country album but I'd settle for Cooley country.
I hope that never happens. DBT's "country" songs are my least favorite in their entire catalog. It's also probably why I have never missed the steel guitar since Neff left.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

jr29 wrote: I recently expressed my desire for the band to do a straight ahead country album but I'd settle for Cooley country.
Absolutely. They're as good a country band as they are a rock band. I do wish they'd bring in a pedal steel player, but it's not necessary.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:
DebbieTrucker wrote:Glad to see the GGB thread is still alive lol. This album gets regular spins weekly/monthly for me. Hands down one of my favorite ever DBT albums. Songs like "Cartoon Gold, The Weakest Man, Used to Be a Cop, Pulaski and Mercy Buckets" make this album timeless for me as a listener. I have really felt a connection to DBTs albums since GGB then EO now AB. I feel GGB is a solid listen straight through. Cooley's traditional country approach with his songs especially "The Weakest Man" is a one reason I'm so partial to this album. I wish he would do an entire album that way. I have always loved the 2 punch ending of "Pulaski and Mercy Buckets" to end the album as well. I know some have said they are not as big of fans of the preacher murder tales of this album. I think the two songs really bookend that story and fit perfect with the other songs on the album. Even tho I love "Birthday Boy" like everyone else off of TBTD, I have always considered this album of the two made from the same sessions to be the far superior album. Anyway much love for GGB!
I recently expressed my desire for the band to do a straight ahead country album but I'd settle for Cooley country.
I would be on board with this. Jay on pianer and maybe get Late Night back in the fold if that bridge ain't burned.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I rarely reach for GGB anymore unless it's the playlist I made that omits the two Shonna songs, Assholes, and Thanksgiving Filter. As a short, punchy 10-song album it's pretty damn good.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Smitty wrote:
Absolutely. They're as good a country band as they are a rock band. I do wish they'd bring in a pedal steel player, but it's not necessary.
I'm fine with bringing in a hired gun if some tunes call for a pedal steel. Eric Heywood is still alive and well.
No one in the Stones could play a fiddle (at least not well) and it doesn't bother me a bit that they called Byron Berline to lay it down on Country Honk. Speaking of which, Byron is still alive and well and operating a music store in Oklahoma. I just took care of the peddle steel and fiddle problem.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

What's interesting (and maybe this goes in the AB thread) is that there are a couple of songs on the new record where Jay plays a keyboard that sorta emulates that pedal steel sound. Like they wanted the sound without actually using the instrument.

No matter how much I pine for Neff's sound, there are only maybe 3 or 4 songs between EO and AB where I think it would even fit.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It's the more country leaning songs on Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance that first drew me to DBT's long ago and even without the pedal steel, it's still a part of their sound to this day and I imagine it always will be. Whether they ever bring back the pedal steel or not, I can only imagine they will circle back to this sound at some point even if it's not for the length of an entire record. It's a huge part of who they are so when and if does happen it would make complete sense.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's the more country leaning songs on Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance that first drew me to DBT's long ago and even without the pedal steel, it's still a part of their sound to this day and I imagine it always will be. Whether they ever bring back the pedal steel or not, I can only imagine they will circle back to this sound at some point even if it's not for the length of an entire record. It's a huge part of who they are so when and if does happen it would make complete sense.
There's a little Neff here or there on those early records, right? Isn't there pedal steel on The Living Bubba?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love what Jay brings to the band both musically and personality wise, but I'd trade keyboards for pedal steel in a heartbeat.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Duke Silver wrote:I rarely reach for GGB anymore unless it's the playlist I made that omits the two Shonna songs, Assholes, and Thanksgiving Filter. As a short, punchy 10-song album it's pretty damn good.
I put together GGB and TBTD into one playlist, then trimmed it down into one CD worth of songs. That was hard, because I decided one album closer was enough, and Mercy Buckets wasn't it. That was the final decision that put it under seventy-eight minutes, my mental length of a CD. I still haven't been able to sequence it worth shit, though. That record will not flow no matter what I do to it. I don't think putting Mercy Buckets back will fix it, either. Sequencing a record is hard!

I think the originals re better anyway, even with the tracks I was theoretically ready to drop. I mean, I love Mercy Buckets.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I have a playlist called The Big Go-Go Boot.

I love it, but the flow isn't great. I don't value flow as highly as some of you guys, though. It can make a good album great, but a great batch of songs can stand on their own, period. Hence why I think Sirens is Jason's best album. Less skippers.