DBT Albums: Week 11 Go-Go Boots

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: DBT Albums: Week 11 Go-Go Boots

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:"And I've never understood the big to-do about Marry Me "

The riff, man.. It's all about that guitar riff :)

Well, that and the lyrics. "Rock and roll means well but it can't help telling young boys lies" isn't just a line in a song, it's an axiom.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

NPO (songs or bands):

Uncle Frank
Zip City
Gravity's Gone
A Ghost to Most
Cartoon Gold

Brown Sugar
Tumblin' Dice
Sway
Torn and Frayed
Shattered

Somehow, Paint It Black and 72 (This Highway's Mean) got lost. Give me a minute and I'll lay out a whole new list, m'kay?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:"Rock and roll means well but it can't help telling young boys lies" isn't just a line in a song, it's an axiom.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a variation of it in the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. Those are words of wisdom applicable to so much more than rock and roll. Or young boys, for that matter.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Yep, I need to make my lists Top 6 to include 72 and Can't You Here Me Knocking.

And speaking of guitar riffs, I think 3DD might be Cooley's finest.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

LastLawson wrote:And I've never understood the big to-do about Marry Me *ducks*.

I've been witness to it lifting a Truckers show up to the next level, probably on more than one occasion. Sometimes they can be slow to kick into gear, "Marry Me" often gets them there (though I've seen other songs do the same, like "Puttin' People On the Moon").

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LastLawson wrote: And I've never understood the big to-do about Marry Me *ducks*.

Well, the song starts like this:

"Well, my daddy didn't pull out, but he never apologized
Rock and Roll means well, but it can't help tellin' young boys lies. "

And it ends like this:

"Just 'cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say"

And what's in between ain't half bad.

Plus it rocks like a motherfucker.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

So far this is the only album they have released after I became a fan. I like it very much. Some great songwriting as been pointed out already in this thread, but I think it's the vibe and feel that does it for me, much the same way as with BTCD (although it's a different vibe and feel).

At the time it was released I had already started to take interest in late 60's/early 70's soul and r&b since a couple of years, and I think I heard traces of that influence in some of DBTs previous releases as well, maybe as far back as SRO. Difficult to pinpoint exactly but in between Cooley's sliding double stops, EZBs back-beat and Patterson's vocal melodies there is something. On GGB this manifests itself very clearly imo, especially with Shonna's bass playing.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Marry Me
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Zip City
Cartoon Gold
A Ghost to Most

I could probably throw a whole different 5 up there. The point remains that Cartoon Gold stands in Cooley's upper echelon for many.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't know if I've ever been as obsessed with a song as I was with Marry Me the first time I heard it. I hit "repeat" at least 6 times. I still remember exactly what I was doing (mowing waterways and a bin site) and where I was doing it (just west of the intersection of 70th Street and Holly Ave 4 miles northwest of Saratoga, IA).

It just blew me away.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I've heard Cooley say on some live recordings that The Weakest Man is about tryin to give up drinkin, but I'll agree that it's a good song bout anything you're tryin to kick.

GGB never clicked with me, I give them credit for trying another direction, and a few tracks are great, but it always felt a little disjointed. I'd heard Cooley do Pulaski and the Weakest Man on a bootleg from 2005, so it sort of bummed me out to see him throw in some old tunes rather than write something to match the mood of the album. (http://southernshelter.com/2008/04/mike ... att-22505/ ) I guess to me the album plays like a half finished rock opera with a few recycled tunes and covers to take up space. I think that if they hadn't been touring so heavily this album could have been flushed out a little better and it could have been great. To me it suffered from a few too many theatrical elements and not enough Cooley. I'll admit that while I thoroughly enjoy scantly clad ladies on stage, I was a bit confused by the dancers when they toured behind the album...

Marry Me
Three on the Tree
Self Destructive Zones
Panties in Your Purse
Love Like This
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Maybe that was just on selected dates as I don't recall any dancers when I saw them on that tour.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I've heard Cooley say on some live recordings that The Weakest Man is about tryin to give up drinkin, but I'll agree that it's a good song bout anything you're tryin to kick.

GGB never clicked with me, I give them credit for trying another direction, and a few tracks are great, but it always felt a little disjointed. I'd heard Cooley do Pulaski and the Weakest Man on a bootleg from 2005, so it sort of bummed me out to see him throw in some old tunes rather than write something to match the mood of the album. (http://southernshelter.com/2008/04/mike ... att-22505/ ) I guess to me the album plays like a half finished rock opera with a few recycled tunes and covers to take up space. I think that if they hadn't been touring so heavily this album could have been flushed out a little better and it could have been great. To me it suffered from a few too many theatrical elements and not enough Cooley. I'll admit that while I thoroughly enjoy scantly clad ladies on stage, I was a bit confused by the dancers when they toured behind the album...

Marry Me
Three on the Tree
Self Destructive Zones

Panties in Your Purse
Love Like This

I agree that the super heavy touring or specifically touring behind two records back to back with no break caused both this one and the one before it to suffer. I've always sort of found it odd that Cooley used those old songs too.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Maybe that was just on selected dates as I don't recall any dancers when I saw them on that tour.

Danielle from American Pickers had her burlesque dancers on stage in Chicago. I thought it was great.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I love this album and I really, really love Brad's playing throughout. So fucking soulful and musical and empathetic and so tight in the pocket. You don't get those kind of qualities without spending years on the road. You also don't learn how to tune your drums to sound so great by accident, with help from Barbe's crew of course. Brad's style and approach always reminds me of Charlie Watts' and I could see Brad filling in for Charlie, and vice versa, with ease. In my mind, the Truckers are Patterson and Cooley and Brad. Long live EZB!!! And long live GGB!!!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Maybe that was just on selected dates as I don't recall any dancers when I saw them on that tour.

Danielle from American Pickers had her burlesque dancers on stage in Chicago. I thought it was great.

Always enjoyed seeing her at Iowa City shows. None post GGB though.

John A Arkansawyer

Markalanbishop wrote:I love this album and I really, really love Brad's playing throughout.

He uses the cymbals to great effect in The Fireplace Poker. It just kills me.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

in no particular order....

Gravity's Gone
Ghost to Most
Space City
Daddy's Cup
Checkout Time in Vegas

it's real hard to look at that list and not replace one or all of them with Zip City, Marry Me, Cartoon Gold, WWW, Birthday Boy and Eyes Like Glue Dambit, picking out your favorite Cooley songs is like having to decide which one is your favorite kid or favorite guitar :?

John A Arkansawyer

psychobillycadillac wrote:in no particular order....

Gravity's Gone
Ghost to Most
Space City
Daddy's Cup
Checkout Time in Vegas

it's real hard to look at that list and not replace one or all of them with Zip City, Marry Me, Cartoon Gold, WWW, Birthday Boy and Eyes Like Glue Dambit, picking out your favorite Cooley songs is like having to decide which one is your favorite kid or favorite guitar :?

Yeah, I could probably throw those in a cup, shake 'em out, and get a five song list of favorites I could fight for. Picking 'em myself, I couldn't do without Zip City and A Ghost to Most. After that, I get weaselly.

But deciding which kid is my favorite is easy. I tell my only child that she's my favorite daughter in the whole world. "But daddy, I'm your only daughter." Yes, but every woman is someone's daughter, so there are more than three billion daughters in the world, and you're my very favorite. "Okay."

psychobillycadillac

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:in no particular order....

Gravity's Gone
Ghost to Most
Space City
Daddy's Cup
Checkout Time in Vegas

Yeah, I could probably throw those in a cup, shake 'em out, and get a five song list of favorites I could fight for. Picking 'em myself, I couldn't do without Zip City and A Ghost to Most. After that, I get weaselly.

But deciding which kid is my favorite is easy. I tell my only child that she's my favorite daughter in the whole world. "But daddy, I'm your only daughter." Yes, but every woman is someone's daughter, so there are more than three billion daughters in the world, and you're my very favorite. "Okay."

I may have to steal that one from you :lol: still doesn't help me w/ my favorite guitar delima ;)
Last edited by psychobillycadillac on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Tequila Cowboy Wrote:

Was that her? The one on the right?
I was at this show, and I remember giving one of the guys I drove down with a "WTF!?!" look when the dancers came out. Then laughing our asses off when we'd catch Cooley checkin them out instead of playin guitar - haha! You could tell he was thinkin the same thing we were, "What the hell are these gals doin on stage? Well, hell, it ain't so bad, at least they're fun to look at!"
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I think that's her yes. Somewhere I have a bunch of pictures and could identify her better but don't have time to look now.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I still can't believe it's (apparently) Boyd Crowder's favorite DBT album.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:I still can't believe it's (apparently) Boyd Crowder's favorite DBT album.

I would've guessed TDS, but I guess he's more "I Do Believe" than "Cottonseed". Could be his downfall.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I still can't believe it's (apparently) Boyd Crowder's favorite DBT album.

I would've guessed TDS, but I guess he's more "I Do Believe" than "Cottonseed". Could be his downfall.

Nice one. :)

How long 'til next season?

Clams

Post by Clams »

My thoughts on GGB:

--GGB sounds much better at night time. The later, the better.
--Where's Eddie is Shonna's best lead vocal - by a wide margin - over all her other songs.
--Used to be a Cop isn't top-shelf Patterson, but it's pretty close. Love how the guitars are wrapped almost as tight as the cop. Same goes for Ray's Automatic Weapon - love Neff's slide on it.
--Fireplace Poker has grown on me and now I like it a lot. This here is the smoker...
--All those shows they did on the Go Go Boots tour in the winter-spring of 2011 were fantastic - culminating in that great Letterman appearance.
--Re Cooley's songs, The Weakest Man is a much better song ever since I learned that it's about drinking in the song of the week thread. But it still sounds a little too much like Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. Pulaski is a great song. It could be a movie. Cartoon Gold - I know it's about L.A., but still don't really get it.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

psychobillycadillac

Can't remember which one of the Cooley solo shows (I think night two in Birmingham) but he said the catalyst and part of the inspiration behind the second half of Cartoon Gold was hanging out in a bar in LA wearing a pair of sunglasses hanging by one of the arms from his t-shirt and the pretentious ass who was bartending said something like "oh wearing sunglasses in a bar in LA, that's real original." :roll:

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Clams wrote:Cartoon Gold - I know it's about L.A., but still don't really get it.

For Christ's sake did you not even read my SOTW? :evil: :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Clams wrote:Cartoon Gold - I know it's about L.A., but still don't really get it.

Maybe he did.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

beantownbubba wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

Maybe he did.

If you are implying that my work on that song analysis was a bunch of rambling non-sense, i may have to agree with you. Hence the :lol: above. :D
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cole Younger wrote:I don't get why Dancing Ricky was included here instead of I Hear You Hummin. To me the latter is a much better song. Maybe it was Shonnas choice.

Yeah man I'm with you. I Hear You Hummin' comes off the top rope and gives Dancing Rickey a suplex.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life