Georgia Theater 8/23 & 8/24

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Re: Georgia Theater 8/23 & 8/24

Post by CooleyGirl »

litdimly wrote:Some good pics here, in spite of the Dexateens' guitarist being mis-identified:

http://www.redandblack.com/rbtv/photo_g ... f6878.html

I think one is of Bill?

--Paige

These are great pics! I love the one of Matt Patton where his hair is straight up in the air, all of it!
Yes, there is one of Bill who was filming that night, kind of a cool pic of his camera in action.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I agree with the others who have already said this, the Band, crew and community are amazing. It's hard to believe how much love was in that room both nights. I'm thankful to be a part of it.

During the Dexateens on Fri, Tyler wound up getting a guitar handed to him during their last song and he shredded it! It was really cool, and since we were filming that night, I managed to get it on camera. I'm sure Jonicont will make it available at some point on You Tube.

Night 2 was ridiculous. It was one great song after another. There was so much energy, it was almost as if DBT was trying to outdo themselves from the night before. Wow!
So happy to hear Steve McQueen. I recall when we saw DBT in Scotland, we heard this guy yelling for Steve McQueen at the show in Glasgow. Sure enough, Patterson wound up playing it that night. Little did we know then that guy would turn out to be The Beacon (aka John), and that would be the beginning of a beautiful friendship with he and his lovely wife (also a huge DBT fan), Lorna R. Those 2 fine folks are the Scottish version of UR and I. They have travelled all over for DBT, and John's DBT t shirt collection puts mine to shame. Anyway, long tangent later, John and Lorna came from Scotland for the shows this weekend and when they played Steve McQueen, it was a great moment.

Angels and Fueselage has become a particularly tough closer for me. It's a beautiful song, don't get me wrong. It just happens to trigger an awful lot of emotions for me right now. Patterson dedicated the song to Craig this weekend. I kind of fell apart sobbing during the song and afterwards. Thank you to all of the amazing people who held me up and helped me smile again, I can't tell you how much that meant to me.

Overall, what an incredible weekend! These weekends are what keep me going during the rough times, and the friendships I've made via the community are what keep me going between shows. Can't wait to see everyone again soon!

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

GW in IA wrote:1:09
A.M.
Home.

I consider it a true pleasure and an honor to have had the opportunity to share a beer and a conversation with you Gary, sorry I couldn't hang out more on Saturday. Hope we get to do it all over again real soon!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

RolanK wrote:That's a set list!!!

That's what I was thinking!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Digging the new song
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Glad to hear you all had a great time, Athens is still on my list, maybe Homecoming.
i've been dreaming of seeing the Dexateens for 5 years, LOVE them,
thought they had broken up, and glad to hear they are still rockin.
Love to see the DBT bring them out West with them when the new album tour comes along...
Sorry to ask so much of Matt P. but a guy can dream.
Downloading the shows right now, can't wait to hear 'em.

Glad the DBT will be nice and rested when they get to Tahoe next month...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Markalanbishop wrote:I’m fairly new to the DBT live experience, Saturday being my 7th Rock Show. I first saw the Truckers in Atlanta in April 2012. Even though Matt had only been with the band for a couple of months at that point, and even with the negative waves Neff/Moriarty was throwing off, that Tabernacle show was a revelation. I’ve seen a ton of bands in my day, but few shows compared to what I witnessed that night. Since then I’ve been trying to articulate why this band speaks to me on such a fundamental level.

My father was a professional musician and band director and he taught me to listen to music inside out, meaning that I start with the rhythm section and listen to the basic song structure, chord progression, etc., and gradually expand my focus outward. If the music doesn’t grab me I rarely get around to paying attention to any solos, much less the lyrics. I think Patterson has mentioned that his Dad is not a lyrics guy and I can relate in that they are the last thing I tend to listen to. Don’t mean to wander off on a tangent here about the relative importance of lyrics vs. songs--songs win of course :)--but when both are great you know you’ve got something magical. I don’t know how songs about murder, chicken wing puke, incest, and self-destructive zones can be so life affirming, but they sure as shit are in Hood’s and Cooley’s hands.

As so many of you have known for many more years than I, the Truckers’ appeal is bigger than just great songs and great lyrics. The disconnected individuals that began as fans of DBT’s music have morphed into this weird and wonderful community that gathers from time to time for a celebration. I meet a few new 3DD people each time I go to a show and look forward to becoming friends with more of you. Thanks for letting me be a part of it. At the end of the day I think that maybe it is the life affirming aspect of the DBT experience that is so appealing to me. I know none of these thoughts are original but I just felt compelled to put it down in words after such a memorable weekend.

Finally, and not to pat you guys or the Truckers on the back too much (well, OK, maybe a little), but this F. Scott Fitzgerald quote is relevant to my experience with DBT and the 3DD crowd: "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." Exactly right. Proud of the glory, stare down the shame. Let there be fucking Rock.

Hey Mark - this is one cool fucking post. Thanks for it.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

CooleyGirl wrote:I agree with the others who have already said this, the Band, crew and community are amazing. It's hard to believe how much love was in that room both nights. I'm thankful to be a part of it.

i was walking around Athens sunday and passed John and Lorna out in front of the 40 watt and had a great discussion of brit pop (when we got to echo and the bunnymen, i said 'too bad rev matt is not here'...) Then John proceeded to tie an old pair of chuck taylors to the gate there (apparently as a tribute and donation to the 40 watt) and we took pictures to memorialize the moment. it really capped the weekend off for me. a fitting end to a weird/wacky weekend seeing the greatest touring rock band. couldn't have chosen better setlists, too..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Work was no fun at all today. My mind and heart are still in Athens. Fuzzy visions of the weekend keep coming to me.
There's Tyler having a go at Elliott's guitar. Patterson making sure John got his pick. Scotty and Mrs. C reveling in the
up close Rawk show experience. Jonicont making his way up front to signal the epic nature of Saturday's show.

I have much love for each and every one of you good crazy people.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

...and now I can't wait for Homecoming.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cole Younger wrote:...and now I can't wait for Homecoming.

Ain't that the truth?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

TDB

Post by TDB »

Whew....that was fun!

Shonna on Thursday, two nights of DBT, AND Dexateens as the cherry on top???? WHO--doggy!

Then, you throw in the REAL reason I go to Trucker's shows.......the tailgate.
It's KINDA like college football: You get there early, meet up with all your old buddies, drink beer like you are still 19 and try to get laid (if applicable)

Sadly, I am one of those people who constantly drink like they are re-living high school and there is NO question as to why I am still single. I'm a mess.

My apologies to Lurleen for grabbing her husband's ass Friday night.

However, other than that minor...and what I intended as innocent groping....I think I behaved myself pretty well all weekend.

Damn, it was good seeing y'all: Howlin' Wolf, Drifter, Sloboyle, Boston REB, Penny Lane, Gary, David and all the rest of you mutherfuckers ;0)

The time goes so fast, yet the joy it brings lasts a lifetime.

Many blessings for those who contributed to the Church of Truth and Love!

Until our paths cross again, I bid you peace.

Rev. Todd

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I have found that if you lean far enough over the balcony rail, you can almost touch the stage. 2 great (epic even) shows that I got to share with some of the nicest people on the planet. Lots of fun with the Daze crew into the wee hours (even smacked my lips on some liquid apple pie). Athens Joe invited me to go rafting on some lazy river (a drinking cruise he called it). Then I see this picture at his house of a boat on raging rapids. He tried to pull a fast one on me. Bill tried to save a few dollars & cut his own hair. I thought it looked good, but he wasn't satisfied & cut it all off. Penny was in rare form Sat. night (actually I'm finding out that it is not so rare); when she called Jonicont & headhunter 'white collar trash' . LBR slipped me a Mickey, I mean a cookie, Fri. night that was tasty & very relaxing at the same time. Y'all are my kinda people. Mrs.Slip had a good time. She was under the impression that there were only 8-10 of us wacko groupies. You know, someone who travel hundreds of miles to see a band they've already seen 40 times. I think she gets the picture now.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Somebody said to me this weekend that shows like these are like big family reunions, but ones where crazy uncle Charlie stays home and you only see the family you want to see. I think that's right, we may have one or two crazy uncles lurking about but hardly enough to spoil anyone's fun. Just when I think I have more good friends in this community than I know what to do with I meet some more. A Rock Show in the Georgia Theater ends up resembling a party in someone's really big living room complete with few bars and maybe some stealthy fine tequila, and oh by the way Drive-By Truckers are playing and then there's some kick ass punk rock by way of the Dexateeens. The party is on so strap yourself down and enjoy the ride.

In all seriousness though these were two of the best nights of music I've seen in awhile. Friday night the band was issued a musical challenge by the Dexateens and they met it head on with one of the best shows I've seen in some time, not that there have been bad ones mind you but these two nights they took it to a whole nother level. It was hard to imagine them topping Friday until, of course, they did it on Saturday. When the show starts with Days of Graduation and then you get gems like The Southern Thing, Sounds Better In The Song and Steve McQueen you can tell it's a special show just looking at the setlist, but being there was even better than anything you could dream up. This line up has come together in such a way that the Rock is ratcheted up about 72 notches. I know how good Jay is and I was still blown away by his guitar chops both nights but especially Saturday when he was en fuego. Not ones to be shown up in any way Cooley and Patterson played some mean and dirty lead guitar their own selves and the whole thing just smoked because of those three guitars. Oh and Jay added some of the finest keyboard work on top of all that. Mercy. With Matt Patton and EZB holding down the low end like punks on a mission the Rock Show was cranked up to 11 and a glance at the crowd revealed that everybody knew it.

There are so many things I could go on about; When He's Gone our brief taste of the record to come, the down and dirty Goode's Field Road from Friday or how Brad knocked over the big drum at the end of Angels & Fuselage Saturday night which ended the festivities in such a way that said "we came, we conquered and nothing was left standing", but in the end the whole was much greater than the sum of all those parts. Yep, these were good ones folks, and you can wrap it up in as much hyperbole as you want and still not quite get the gist. If you were there you know what I mean, if you weren't get your asses to Homecoming because with a new record on the horizon I think those shows might just blow the roof off the 40 Watt come 2014.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"white collar trash". :D :D :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Okay, now I've had day to relax and I'm still trying to process how awesome the weekend was.

The venue. I am honestly not sure if there could be a better venue for me to see a show right now. They have a special ADA section on the third floor. Not only was there plenty of room for the my crew and my chair, but the ledge was an absolutely perfect height. Even though I can't really take many steps, I can still stand for a little bit of time, as long as I have something to lean on. So for the first time in a long time, I could actually stand for a rock show. Or at least for part of it. I can't describe how cool that was for me. It was my first time at the Georgia theater, and it quickly rose as one of my favorite places to see a show. Given my situation, it might be my favorite. The only thing I noticed is that the sound seemed better on night 2 than night 1. At least the vocals, as they seemed a little muffled on the first night. That also could've been due to our third-floor location, and believe me I'm not complaining.

The band. Holy fuck balls did they rock out! I'm not going to pretend to even be slightly objective, but God they were two great shows. Goode's Field was ridiculous. The set lists speak for themselves. Matt killed it on used to be a cop, And the baseline was really prominent on Gravity's gone, at least to my ears. I'm past the point where I can rank shows. I told GW, my favorite show is my last one. All I can say, is I love how the incarnation of this band plays live.

The people. I was overwhelmed all weekend. First of all of great friend of mine, who isn't even really a fan, came down with us and helped on the 10 Hour Dr. Another friend flew down for Friday show.(Thanks for the ticket OBL). So in addition to my wonderful wife and brother, I had a couple dear friends come down just to see what this obsession of mine was all about. They were not disappointed. Plus it just made me more comfortable, because I'm a pretty high maintenance traveler at this point. Which brings us to the 3DD folks. There are pages on this thread devoted to how great this community is, so I'm going to try not to repeat everything. But It''s amazing how comfortable and welcome you guys all made me feel. It's pretty cool rolling around downtown and running in to familiar faces. I was going to try the name check everyone, since I actually think I remember this time. :lol: But the voice recognition software doesn't exactly process the screen names. However, I do want to mention one thing. I was kind of in my own little corner of the third floor, so I really appreciate those of you who came up to see me since I couldn't get around on the main floor. It's nice to feel like a part of this community. I was pretty apprehensive about the weekend, not sure how well I'd travel. I can't tell you enough how comfortable I was. Special shout out to GW. It's always great to talk to you.

Great town. Great venue. Great band. Great people. Let There Be Rock!
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:"white collar trash". :D :D :D

i think the actual words that came out of my mouth as we drove by in Slip's sweet ride were 'look at this long island white collar riff raff walking down the street, kiss my medal!'

i can't apologize enough...to Mrs. Slip--the other people signed up for it.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

CooleyGirl wrote:Angels and Fueselage has become a particularly tough closer for me. It's a beautiful song, don't get me wrong. It just happens to trigger an awful lot of emotions for me right now. Patterson dedicated the song to Craig this weekend. I kind of fell apart sobbing during the song and afterwards. Thank you to all of the amazing people who held me up and helped me smile again, I can't tell you how much that meant to me.

Overall, what an incredible weekend! These weekends are what keep me going during the rough times, and the friendships I've made via the community are what keep me going between shows. Can't wait to see everyone again soon!

Not all pain is bad, no? I was crying too. He's worth missing. A lot.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:"white collar trash". :D :D :D

i think the actual words that came out of my mouth as we drove by in Slip's sweet ride were 'look at this long island white collar riff raff walking down the street, kiss my medal!'

i can't apologize enough...to Mrs. Slip--the other people signed up for it.

So is BMW the trailer of choice for white collar trash (or riff raff if there's a difference)?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'd love to see a DVD/CD set of one of these hometown shows. Just sayin'.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Those set lists are just silly good.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'd love to see a DVD/CD set of one of these hometown shows. Just sayin'.

Jonicont shot the Friday show (and the Dexateens set) with multicams....I'm sure something good will come out of that.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tyler wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'd love to see a DVD/CD set of one of these hometown shows. Just sayin'.

Jonicont shot the Friday show (and the Dexateens set) with multicams....I'm sure something good will come out of that.

No offense to Jonicont (or anyone else that films the shows) but I was referring to an officially released live album/DVD.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Someone called me "The Dick Clark" of three dimes down which I thought was hysterical. Wish I could remember who it was. Polishing off that bottle of Don Julio with TC and Headhunter left some blanks in the memory
Always go to the show

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Jonicont wrote:

Wow! Jay kicked ass on this! The new cameras are beautiful, Jonicont, incredible seeing all 4 cameras put together. Thank you!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Jonicont wrote:Someone called me "The Dick Clark" of three dimes down which I thought was hysterical. Wish I could remember who it was. Polishing off that bottle of Don Julio with TC and Headhunter left some blanks in the memory

And I helped! (In fact, I almost helped Headhunter get kicked out....)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:

Hot damn that's a something! Thanks jonicont! Oh and yeah Jay does kick some ass right there CG!