Georgia Theater 8/23 & 8/24

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Re: Georgia Theater 8/23 & 8/24

Post by CooleyGirl »

Wow, what an amazing night!
My first Dexateens show was worth the long wait! Absolutely loved them!
DBT responded by coming out with guns blazing. Patterson's new Baxendale guitar is badass. Not only is it breathtaking, it sounds incredible. Just wow!
Jonicont had 4 of us running video last night with brand new gorgeous cameras. We got both Dexateens & DBT. That footage is going to be top of the line, can't wait to see it.
I've said it before & I'll say it again, they can close with PWD every night. Love that song! It was fabulous chaos on that song last night. David Barbe came out on guitar, Dirty Paul on keys, the Dexateens & Scott Baxendale cheering from the side, Dead Confederate on some vocals, & 3DD's own Lew Ashby was in the mix too! Fabulous!

Huge props to Matt Patton pulling double duty. He is amazing! So much energy in both bands. The man played for about 3 hours & gave it his all for every minute.

Can't wait for tonight!
It was cool hearing a new song, though I need to go back & listen to the recording to really appreciate it. Loved hearing Company I Keep, that's another one I could happily hear every night.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Last night just kicked all sorts off ass. Cooley was incredible on Henry. Can they do it again tonight? We shall see
Always go to the show

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

That's a set list!!!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tupelo Rd

Post by Tupelo Rd »

Any stream tonight?

downhiller2010

Post by downhiller2010 »

Wish I could be there tonight, friday night was on fire

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Where the Devil Don't Stay
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway's Mean)
The Living Bubba
A Ghost to Most
When He's Gone
Women Without Whiskey
Steve McQueen
Self-Destructive Zones
I'm Eighteen
Zip City
Used to be a Cop
Sounds Better in the Song
Sinkhole
Gravity's Gone
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Marry Me
Play It All Night Long
Pulaski
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Holy fucking shit, what a night. EZB knocking over the giant bass drum at the end of A&F was the very definition of rock and roll. The road crew was going ape shit. Privileged to be there both nights.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

What a run. Words fail me. They found another gear, which I've never seen them hit before. Patton droppings monster bass all night - clearly more comfortable now that that he has earned the gig. Brad going NUTS both nights...especially tonight. When's the last time you saw Brad playing tom fills? I just wish we could get up and do it again tomorrow, instead of packing up and heading home.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

When I read reports and setlists like this 2 night stand I really wish I didn't coach high school football. I won't be able to make it to the August GA Theater shows until I retire! Looking forward to the Homecoming shows though.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Athens Joe

Post by Athens Joe »

Y'all come back now, ya hear....

I enjoyed hanging with the finest folks and seeing the finest band in the land. The strength of this community is impossible to fathom. We've got a lot to be proud of.

The high from last night's A&F will last a while. The boys did it once again.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

I got Ito DBT 2 years ago. I've still mostly considered myself a newbie, even though I've seen about a dozen Rock Shows.

Not after last night. Now I am fucking IN.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Athens Joe wrote:Y'all come back now, ya hear....

I enjoyed hanging with the finest folks and seeing the finest band in the land. The strength of this community is impossible to fathom. We've got a lot to be proud of.

ditto. great to see you again

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Athens Joe wrote:Y'all come back now, ya hear....

ditto. great to see you again

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

These recordings sound great!

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

uncle rickey wrote:Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Where the Devil Don't Stay
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway's Mean)
The Living Bubba
A Ghost to Most
When He's Gone
Women Without Whiskey
Steve McQueen
Self-Destructive Zones
I'm Eighteen
Zip City
Used to be a Cop
Sounds Better in the Song
Sinkhole
Gravity's Gone
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Marry Me
Play It All Night Long
Pulaski
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

Good Freaking God
Beebs is not a ragey man

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

The Firday night response to the Dexateens Challenge was amazing. But then last night, they ratcheted it up again, in a completely different way. Complete pandemonium.

My whole body is aching today.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Back home again after another awesome weekend with this band and these fans.

What a great weekend.

Friday night the Dexateens killed it to open and it was like the Truckers said "Hell, no its our name on the top of the marquee and we are going to show you why" and proceeded to come out and kill it. The first six songs of Friday night would have been a show enough but then it just continued.

So what do they do for Sat night, top it again. Two rocking shows with a great crowd of people and the sound was great.

It seemed that Cooley was quite enjoying himself this weekend. Busted the rock star pose a few times and was doing some sick guitar backing on the Patterson songs, especially man I shot.

Mrs ScottyC and I were talking on the drive back today and what seperates this band is the group of people that are there to see the shows. To get to the hotel and then to the venue and see so many wonderful friendly faces really makes weekends like this special. The band will always bring it, but to see so many wonderful people enjoying the shows together really takes it to another level.

We are so blessed to have this band and this group of friends that share this passion respectfully......

I would name names of who it was great to see, but I would forget some so I am not doing that. And for those around me on Sat night I hope I wasn't too bad, but if so I apologize. :oops:

Until the next show......

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'll have more to say later but a couple of things real quick. First ScottyC couldn't be more right about this community of fans, we are all truly blessed to be in the company of such fine people from the band on down but again more on that to come. Next, the shows were unreal. The pairing of Dexateens & DBT made for an incredible Friday and one of the best shows I've seen, but then came Saturday night. The setlist doesn't lie folks, it was epic. Motherfucking epic. Now I'm tired. More tomorrow.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

If it is possible to have more fun than I had this weekend, I ain't yet seen it.

Exhausted and exhilarated at the same time. It was an absolute pleasure to hang out with so many wonderful people these past few days. The whole is clearly greater than the sum of the parts.

Can't wait until the next time.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

1:09
A.M.
Home.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Some good pics here, in spite of the Dexateens' guitarist being mis-identified:

http://www.redandblack.com/rbtv/photo_g ... f6878.html

I think one is of Bill?

--Paige

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Same here. Blown away by the big Rock Star moments, especially Jay stepping up, Patterson shredding on the ground and EZB knocking over the bass drum. I think Matt Patton went to another level.

My very first time HEARING the Dexateens and I couldn't believe it. So damn good. I said to my friend Paige, the things I wanted most were "Why Henry Drinks" and a new song. GOT EM BOTH, plus a bonus "Girls Who Smoke." The first night would have been the best night of any other band's run, but it was just a warmup for night 2. "When He's Gone" again - sounding even better this time - and the SRO bookends. Just killer.

And you were fine, man! Rambunctious is the name of the game!

ScottyC wrote:Back home again after another awesome weekend with this band and these fans.

What a great weekend.

Friday night the Dexateens killed it to open and it was like the Truckers said "Hell, no its our name on the top of the marquee and we are going to show you why" and proceeded to come out and kill it. The first six songs of Friday night would have been a show enough but then it just continued.

So what do they do for Sat night, top it again. Two rocking shows with a great crowd of people and the sound was great.

It seemed that Cooley was quite enjoying himself this weekend. Busted the rock star pose a few times and was doing some sick guitar backing on the Patterson songs, especially man I shot.

Mrs ScottyC and I were talking on the drive back today and what seperates this band is the group of people that are there to see the shows. To get to the hotel and then to the venue and see so many wonderful friendly faces really makes weekends like this special. The band will always bring it, but to see so many wonderful people enjoying the shows together really takes it to another level.

We are so blessed to have this band and this group of friends that share this passion respectfully......

I would name names of who it was great to see, but I would forget some so I am not doing that. And for those around me on Sat night I hope I wasn't too bad, but if so I apologize. :oops:

Until the next show......

gepman

Post by gepman »

Thanks for upping both nights shows, much appreciated.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

uncle rickey wrote:One complaint from last night. GA Theater, FIX YO SHIT regarding line management. When people are waiting in line for an hour-plus so they can stand where they wanna, they're going to get a little grumpy when you let people with paper tickets just walk up and enter because you can't find a will call list.

AGREED. Don't let people with hard tix in before will call. Hire a couple more kids to take tix at the SAME time. Buy another scanner at each door so you don't separate lines. And don't send people up to the roof to fly down four flights of stairs to beat the other line coming in other doors. It's a liability if anything. And don't tell the people with hard tix that they'll get in first (because they were pissed, too). Start ID-ing people before the 8pm opening, also. Lots of venues do this. GA THEATER #lackinglinejustice

Otherwise, what a beautiful theater!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Yes Ms. Lane - fully AGREE...There should be one line, with two/three scanners so we fans who lined up early (thus our goal to be rail birds or up front) don't get a surprise when we finally get in and the front is filled up already....It's all good since we are all family down there anyways and everyone is cool about shifting around....

Have to say Friday was the best Rock n Roll party I've been to in years.....absolutely the best time....Thanks Dexateens and DBT, y'all kicked my ass once again......

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Digging the new PH song, although listening at work I can't really turn it up enough to focus on the lyrics. Did Patterson write it about Craig?

And thanks for taping and uploading the shows, sloan!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I’m fairly new to the DBT live experience, Saturday being my 7th Rock Show. I first saw the Truckers in Atlanta in April 2012. Even though Matt had only been with the band for a couple of months at that point, and even with the negative waves Neff/Moriarty was throwing off, that Tabernacle show was a revelation. I’ve seen a ton of bands in my day, but few shows compared to what I witnessed that night. Since then I’ve been trying to articulate why this band speaks to me on such a fundamental level.
My father was a professional musician and band director and he taught me to listen to music inside out, meaning that I start with the rhythm section and listen to the basic song structure, chord progression, etc., and gradually expand my focus outward. If the music doesn’t grab me I rarely get around to paying attention to any solos, much less the lyrics. I think Patterson has mentioned that his Dad is not a lyrics guy and I can relate in that they are the last thing I tend to listen to. Don’t mean to wander off on a tangent here about the relative importance of lyrics vs. songs--songs win of course :)--but when both are great you know you’ve got something magical. I don’t know how songs about murder, chicken wing puke, incest, and self-destructive zones can be so life affirming, but they sure as shit are in Hood’s and Cooley’s hands.
As so many of you have known for many more years than I, the Truckers’ appeal is bigger than just great songs and great lyrics. The disconnected individuals that began as fans of DBT’s music have morphed into this weird and wonderful community that gathers from time to time for a celebration. I meet a few new 3DD people each time I go to a show and look forward to becoming friends with more of you. Thanks for letting me be a part of it. At the end of the day I think that maybe it is the life affirming aspect of the DBT experience that is so appealing to me. I know none of these thoughts are original but I just felt compelled to put it down in words after such a memorable weekend.
Finally, and not to pat you guys or the Truckers on the back too much (well, OK, maybe a little), but this F. Scott Fitzgerald quote is relevant to my experience with DBT and the 3DD crowd: "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." Exactly right. Proud of the glory, stare down the shame. Let there be fucking Rock.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Rotgut Moonshine

Post by Rotgut Moonshine »

I need the number for the GA Theater lost and found. Haven't had a voice since Friday's encore.

Echo all the sentiments above. Dexateens set the bar high and the Truckers managed to clear it easily. Sounds like Saturday was more of the same. Somehow. Someway.

Can't wait for the new album. And the next Rock Show!
"You wanna feel old after 42 years, keep droppin' the hammer and grindin' the gears."