Ziggy's - Winston-Salem -- June 28 & 29

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: Ziggy's - Winston-Salem -- June 28 & 29

Post by brett27295 »

mikemayhem wrote:I really wish I had been able to stay for night two because to be honest Friday night was very disappointing to me and my group.

I mentioned in my post about the show that it was "an interesting night". It was nice to finally hear Don't Be In Love Around Me and a few others but it wasn't an epic show by any stretch of the imagination. My finance and DBT show going partner felt it was at the bottom of the 11 shows we've seen. I'm not sure where to rank it as I enjoyed it, thought it was solid, and had a good time. They didn't seem to be "mailing it in" in the least in my opinion. If it was the only show I saw this past weekend I would have probably been disappointed. But I knew we were going back Saturday.

Saturday was probably 5 notches better than Friday. Looking back after a day's reflection it's probably my favorite DBT show I've attended.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

mikemayhem wrote:I really wish I had been able to stay for night two because to be honest Friday night was very disappointing to me and my group. It seems a lot of you fine folks thought the opposite, but i just felt like the band was really uninspired and simply going through the motions out there. From the moment they came on stage things just felt...off. Even the sound, especially on W.W.W., which is unlike Ziggys.

Also, this was my first show since Shonna left the band and I found Matt to be really really distracting in between Mike and Patterson. It just left a sour taste in my mouth. Anyways, they can't all be winners and i'm sure if I had been able to stay through the weekend then Friday night would be an afterthought. The set list for Saturday looks absolutely epic.. But i just wanted to share one man's opinion.

Wow, not sure where this comes from. This weekend had the two best DBT shows I've seen in a long time. Probably my favorites of at least the past few years. And I'm not one to give sugar coated reviews. The band seemed to be having a great time up on stage and there didn't seem to be an ounce of tension between any of them. They looked happy as shit from the second they came on. I'm truly stunned that anyone could have felt they were off, uninspired, or mailing it in.

I really hope the band keeps the five-piece set-up. I like them lean and mean. More of a pure rock and roll sound. Not to mention, hopefully it means a little more money in their pockets. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't miss Neff and the pedal steel at all. And I've never missed Shonna. Let's be honest, Shonna was largely dead weight. Her songs absolutely sucked, and it wasn't like she was an exceptionally talented musician. Her biggest notoriety was that she was a female in the band, with an overly country accent, who was somewhat attractive in her younger years.

I don't really see how Matt can be distracting. He just stood in the background and played his part. It's funny how much he smiles while playing, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I saw Matt out in a record shop Saturday afternoon and told him how much I enjoyed the show. I truly meant that.

My only controversial opinion of the weekend is that I think Friday was my favorite show of the two. I mean, come on, Why Henry Drinks, Margo and Harold, Steve McQueen, Don't Be In Love, etc. all in the same show?! That was fucking badass. The Three Great Alabama Icons is about as rare of a song as you'll ever hear, and I love the way Patterson tells a story, so that was a definite highlight on Saturday. His eerie story telling on Goode's Field Road was also really incredible. However you slice it, two great shows!

This weekend was especially nice weekend for me, as I've had a number of bad experiences lately at DBT shows. None of that at all. Ziggy's security was very tight. I don't know if that's the norm there or if the band specifically told them to keep it tight, but it was nice not to have to put up with some of the bullshit. The balcony provided a tremendous vantage point for the shows. It's so close to the stage and the sound was excellent -- just the right volume. The crowd was thinner up there and everyone could have some space and get a good view without bothering the folks around them. That was awesome.

Patterson had a number of equipment issues over the two nights, but this kind of thing doesn't really bother me, as I just consider it part of the live music experience. I was able to check out Winston a bit on Saturday, so that was fun as well. I wish my hotel had been a bit closer to Ziggy's but it worked out fine.

I won't be catching the Georgia Theatre shows, as, unfortunately, they overlap with a Superchunk show at Cat's Cradle, and I can't miss that. However, I'm hoping for a few more great Truckers shows before the year is out. Sure glad I made drive over to Winston after the terrible experience at the Cooley show last weekend, or I would've really missed out! Good crowd and a great venue to catch a show. Hope they'll return to Ziggy's again soon!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

09Gamecock wrote:And I've never missed Shonna. Let's be honest, Shonna was largely dead weight.

You don't play bass, do you?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

I want to go back:) This was my favorite DBT weekend in forever and wasn't Saturday was in the top tier of rock shows? And then they went and kicked some ass last night to. I also now cannot imagine this band without Jay and Matt. It's only gonna get better.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

mark lynn wrote:I want to go back:) This was my favorite DBT weekend in forever and wasn't Saturday was in the top tier of rock shows? And then they went and kicked some ass last night to. I also now cannot imagine this band without Jay and Matt. It's only gonna get better.

Totally agree. I fucking love this lineup. I was there both nights--liked Friday tons but Saturday was amazing and the power outage turned a memorable night into an unforgettable night. Can't wait for Georgia Theater shows, as hopefully they'll be playing new songs from the upcoming album.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Hud

Post by Hud »

I don't have a favorite night, but I now have a favorite weekend of the year and this is it. Shows were epic! Could it be that the absence of Neff(And i really love his pedal steel playing) allows the band to navigate with greater ease, creating a tighter, more raw rock sound? Because I thought the shows were incredible. Not as polished, which suits me fine.
Now, if I can somehow swing the Athens weekend.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

09Gamecock wrote:
mikemayhem wrote:I really wish I had been able to stay for night two because to be honest Friday night was very disappointing to me and my group. It seems a lot of you fine folks thought the opposite, but i just felt like the band was really uninspired and simply going through the motions out there. From the moment they came on stage things just felt...off. Even the sound, especially on W.W.W., which is unlike Ziggys.

Also, this was my first show since Shonna left the band and I found Matt to be really really distracting in between Mike and Patterson. It just left a sour taste in my mouth. Anyways, they can't all be winners and i'm sure if I had been able to stay through the weekend then Friday night would be an afterthought. The set list for Saturday looks absolutely epic.. But i just wanted to share one man's opinion.

Wow, not sure where this comes from. This weekend had the two best DBT shows I've seen in a long time. Probably my favorites of at least the past few years. And I'm not one to give sugar coated reviews. The band seemed to be having a great time up on stage and there didn't seem to be an ounce of tension between any of them. They looked happy as shit from the second they came on. I'm truly stunned that anyone could have felt they were off, uninspired, or mailing it in.

I really hope the band keeps the five-piece set-up. I like them lean and mean. More of a pure rock and roll sound. Not to mention, hopefully it means a little more money in their pockets. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't miss Neff and the pedal steel at all. And I've never missed Shonna. Let's be honest, Shonna was largely dead weight. Her songs absolutely sucked, and it wasn't like she was an exceptionally talented musician. Her biggest notoriety was that she was a female in the band, with an overly country accent, who was somewhat attractive in her younger years.

I don't really see how Matt can be distracting. He just stood in the background and played his part. It's funny how much he smiles while playing, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I saw Matt out in a record shop Saturday afternoon and told him how much I enjoyed the show. I truly meant that.

My only controversial opinion of the weekend is that I think Friday was my favorite show of the two. I mean, come on, Why Henry Drinks, Margo and Harold, Steve McQueen, Don't Be In Love, etc. all in the same show?! That was fucking badass. The Three Great Alabama Icons is about as rare of a song as you'll ever hear, and I love the way Patterson tells a story, so that was a definite highlight on Saturday. His eerie story telling on Goode's Field Road was also really incredible. However you slice it, two great shows!

This weekend was especially nice weekend for me, as I've had a number of bad experiences lately at DBT shows. None of that at all. Ziggy's security was very tight. I don't know if that's the norm there or if the band specifically told them to keep it tight, but it was nice not to have to put up with some of the bullshit. The balcony provided a tremendous vantage point for the shows. It's so close to the stage and the sound was excellent -- just the right volume. The crowd was thinner up there and everyone could have some space and get a good view without bothering the folks around them. That was awesome.

Patterson had a number of equipment issues over the two nights, but this kind of thing doesn't really bother me, as I just consider it part of the live music experience. I was able to check out Winston a bit on Saturday, so that was fun as well. I wish my hotel had been a bit closer to Ziggy's but it worked out fine.

I won't be catching the Georgia Theatre shows, as, unfortunately, they overlap with a Superchunk show at Cat's Cradle, and I can't miss that. However, I'm hoping for a few more great Truckers shows before the year is out. Sure glad I made drive over to Winston after the terrible experience at the Cooley show last weekend, or I would've really missed out! Good crowd and a great venue to catch a show. Hope they'll return to Ziggy's again soon!

I was never much for Shonna either. You hit the nail on the head with that. I liked Neff alright though and what he contributed.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I don't miss that pedal steel guitar at all. I was never that into the "pedal steel" DBT sound....just a little too country for my tastes. I didn't hate it and it certainly translated well live, but I don't miss it's absence one tiny bit. I've have seen 4 different DBT lineups since we started going to DBT shows and the current one is my favorite....for what it's worth.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

i'll take DBT any fuckin' way i can get them! i love all the current and past members. too many of you are arm chair musicians

John A Arkansawyer

Lone Wolf1 wrote:i'll take DBT any fuckin' way i can get them! i love all the current and past members.

x2
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:i'll take DBT any fuckin' way i can get them! i love all the current and past members. too many of you are arm chair musicians

I'm sure the vast majority of those here have similar strong feelings for the band. However I don't think that means we should just show utter blind devotion no matter what. Part of the fun of being a part of message boards (& before that mailing lists) is over analyzing every last thing about our favorite bands.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

brett27295 wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:i'll take DBT any fuckin' way i can get them! i love all the current and past members. too many of you are arm chair musicians

I'm sure the vast majority of those here have similar strong feelings for the band. However I don't think that means we should just show utter blind devotion no matter what. Part of the fun of being a part of message boards (& before that mailing lists) is over analyzing every last thing about our favorite bands.

i don't show "utter blind devotion no matter what". i show respect for musicians and don't slam them. guess i'm not cliquey enuf

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:i show respect for musicians and don't slam them.

Well I certainly agree with that. I have rarely if ever slammed a musician. Especially since I am such a mediocre guitar player myself I certainly don't have any room to slam ANY musicians regardless of genre or style they play.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Every lineup has brought something to the table, I feel really, really lucky we are still being blessed with some kickass rock from DBT.
Only thing I ask for, selfishly, is more shows......please.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

Awesome weekend! Great set of shows with Saturday being in my top five. Ate an awesome dinner at Finnegan's Wake on Friday (pub Mac 'n Cheese...that's all I need to say). Thought Ziggy's was a really nice venue. We sat over at a "platinum table" with an up close side view of band and direct access to the bar. :)

I have MAJOR newfound respect/admiration for Jay after watching him play...two instruments simultaneously numerous times throughout the show. Truly amazing.

Highlight of weekend: coming out of lurker person presence and FINALLY meeting some fellow 3DD folks. Was great to actually meet Uncle Rickey and CooleyGirl after seeing them at pretty much every DBT show we have ever been to. Thanks for being so kind and introducing us around UR (Luke). Also met Joshn and his wife Jeannette (SC Redhead....kindred name, spirit and redhead). Met OneBeltLoop and LoneWolf (who I apparently get confused w Mr Swamp....sorry about that....I need to meet y'all both at once to get unconfused). It was great to meet y'all! If I forget stuff we talked about the next time I see you, or totally just got names wrong, I apologize: please blame above where I mentioned direct access to bar!! :P
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:). Also met Joshn and his wife Jeannette (SC Redhead....kindred name, spirit and redhead). :P

That's funny because for a long time I thought you were Jeannette, just based on the name. Glad that you were treated well.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

While I didn't feel the show was being phoned in, I did feel like it never really caught fire. One possible diagnosis is hangovers from Chattanooga. I've seen that phnomenon before.

I'm terribly sorry you didn't get to stay, either, as the Saturday show would have been very reassuring to you, in addition to blowing your hair back.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Also, Saturday night couldn't have been a better birthday. Thanks to all of you who gave me birthday greetings and especially to those of you who bought me birthday drinks (that includes you Sunday folks, too!). And to the bartender (Chip!) who told CooleyGirl, when she was buying me a birthday shot, "Is that for Sarah? She's gonna a need a lime."

Most especially to CooleyGirl, who sent a request backstage for "Daddy Needs a Drink" because she knows I've been chasing it live since it came out. CG and UR - I couldn't ask for better friends, and you two come with such a great sound track.

Two more thank yous - to Tyler who was so kind, particularly for going out of his way to get me to the airport yesterday, and to the special group of folks who sang "Happy Birthday" to me late late that night....you're the best.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

one belt loop wrote:Most especially to CooleyGirl, who sent a request backstage for "Daddy Needs a Drink" because she knows I've been chasing it live since it came out.

I was pretty thrilled to see the trio do it at Sweetwater, but now you're one up on me. Here's hoping for a repeat in Athens!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LoneWolf1 seems unclear about the point of a "discussion board".

That's cool, keep on keeping it real
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
one belt loop wrote:Most especially to CooleyGirl, who sent a request backstage for "Daddy Needs a Drink" because she knows I've been chasing it live since it came out.

I was pretty thrilled to see the trio do it at Sweetwater, but now you're one up on me. Here's hoping for a repeat in Athens!

That was also wonderful...all those years without and then boom!

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:Awesome weekend! Great set of shows with Saturday being in my top five. Ate an awesome dinner at Finnegan's Wake on Friday (pub Mac 'n Cheese...that's all I need to say). Thought Ziggy's was a really nice venue. We sat over at a "platinum table" with an up close side view of band and direct access to the bar. :)

I have MAJOR newfound respect/admiration for Jay after watching him play...two instruments simultaneously numerous times throughout the show. Truly amazing.

Highlight of weekend: coming out of lurker person presence and FINALLY meeting some fellow 3DD folks. Was great to actually meet Uncle Rickey and CooleyGirl after seeing them at pretty much every DBT show we have ever been to. Thanks for being so kind and introducing us around UR (Luke). Also met Joshn and his wife Jeannette (SC Redhead....kindred name, spirit and redhead). Met OneBeltLoop and LoneWolf (who I apparently get confused w Mr Swamp....sorry about that....I need to meet y'all both at once to get unconfused). It was great to meet y'all! If I forget stuff we talked about the next time I see you, or totally just got names wrong, I apologize: please blame above where I mentioned direct access to bar!! :P

So nice to meet you, too! And I had to do a double-take on the Lone Wolf also - even though I've seen them together before. Just remeber, the Wolf has *those eyes*

- bubba

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:Highlight of weekend: coming out of lurker person presence and FINALLY meeting some fellow 3DD folks. Was great to actually meet Uncle Rickey and CooleyGirl after seeing them at pretty much every DBT show we have ever been to. Thanks for being so kind and introducing us around UR (Luke).

:) It was my pleasure, really. So glad we were able to finally meet!

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:LoneWolf (who I apparently get confused w Mr Swamp....sorry about that....

That's a makeable mistake. If there were a thread on bearded 3dd'ers, it'd be like 10 pages long. ;)

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Zip City wrote:LoneWolf1 seems unclear about the point of a "discussion board".

no, he's very clear about it. just don't like muthafuckas slammin' former band members once they're gone 8-) just keepin' it real kid

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

mikemayhem wrote: I found Matt to be really really distracting in between Mike and Patterson.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
one belt loop wrote:
SouthCarolinaRed wrote:Met OneBeltLoop and LoneWolf (who I apparently get confused w Mr Swamp....

So nice to meet you, too! And I had to do a double-take on the Lone Wolf also - even though I've seen them together before. Just remeber, the Wolf has *those eyes*

The Wolf is a lot more sexier than me.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:

no, he's very clear about it. just don't like muthafuckas slammin' former band members once they're gone 8-) just keepin' it real kid

Apparently you failed to recall how many people hated Shonna's songs while she was still in the band

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

rlipps wrote:
Apparently you failed to recall how many people hated Shonna's songs while she was still in the band

apparently i'm not one of them

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

rlipps wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:

Her best song IMO was You Got Another, that was it. I didn't care if DBT was backing her in the songs they were flat. I was shocked when it was announced she was gone, but I courier wait to see what the future held for DBT with a new dynamic to the band.

BTCD is my personal favorite DBT record but I'm ready for another rock record hoping for something dirty, gritty, and raw.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:

It's all just opinions
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
rlipps wrote:

apparently i'm not one of them

Which is fine, but some of us are. From your posts, seems like nobody should be allowed to voice any negative opinion about an artist, lest they be labeled "an armchair musician". Place would be pretty boring if we just sat around and took turns coming up with different ways to brag on DBT.