My senior thesis on The Dirty South

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jack Flash

My senior thesis on The Dirty South

Post by Jack Flash »

Hey, everybody! I wrote my senior thesis about DBT! Isn’t that nuts? It was written using a combination of in-depth music theory analysis, traditional music journalism, and a bit of personal essay. This synthesis of writing styles, to my knowledge, does not exist anywhere else in the universe.

You can check it out in the Bennington College Crossett Library online catalog HERE. There are two files linked on that page: one is the thesis itself, and the other contains all the charts and transcriptions that go along with it. You’ll want to have them both open while you read so you can refer to the transcriptions as they are referenced in the text.

Be warned - it's quite lengthy! I hope you all enjoy it if you get a chance to read it.

brett27295

Re: My senior thesis on The Dirty South

Post by brett27295 »

Thanks for posting this, it was a very enjoyable read.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Amazing job, JF. I really, really enjoyed it.

My only quibble: you quoted ballsdeep?! :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Wow. Impressive!

btw - where were you when I asked for volunteers to cover The Dirty South for record of the week???
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Wow. Impressive!

btw - where were you when I asked for volunteers to cover The Dirty South for record of the week???

He was sitting in a smoke filled room at 3 am but you couldn't see him because he was surrounded by crushed coffee cups and red bull cans.

Not all the way through yet, but so far so good. Thanks for posting! I admit to being surprised by the informal language/style. That's not a criticism just an observation about changing expectations (and, yes Clams, about getting old, too).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

uncle rickey wrote:Amazing job, JF. I really, really enjoyed it.

My only quibble: you quoted ballsdeep?! :lol:

:lol:

I questioned that as well but facts are facts, ballsdeep is now part of the fabric of academia. May God have mercy on our souls.

Great job though, JF. Truly.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I haven't read yet, but between this and dime's SRO, I have to be a dead man walking on Album of the Week.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:Wow. Impressive!

He was sitting in a smoke filled room at 3 am but you couldn't see him because he was surrounded by crushed coffee cups and red bull cans.

Pretty much.

Glad to see you all are getting a kick out of the ballsdeep part. I though it would be fun to throw that in there for you guys. :lol:

And thank you for the compliments!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

David Hood wears Mom jeans---Really--What part of "Don't piss off the boys from Alabama" didn't you get

Nice job
Always go to the show

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Nice work! This project is principal approved.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

I'm pretty sure there were fewer posts than normal yesterday, as everyone was reading this! Bravo.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

Brilliantly written. I learned much more about music than I would have ever thought reading it!
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Very interesting, but I got a little lost with some of the chord information; however, I'm not a musician (I'm no ballsdeep either, though)! I have to write a capstone (essentially a dissertation this year) to finish my doctoral degree in education; this paper makes me wonder if I could weave some DBT into it! I'm writing it with partners though, and when they ride in my car, they always wonder about the weird music I enjoy on "Outlaw Country"!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Jonicont wrote:David Hood wears Mom jeans---Really--What part of "Don't piss off the boys from Alabama" didn't you get

Nice job

I forgot to ask...what are "mom jeans"? I wonder if I have any in my closet???? Since I don't know what "mom jeans" are I guess it raises the likelihood that I might wear them!!!!!!!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Ask Jerry Seinfeld
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I haven't finished it yet but am enjoying it. What are the parameters for the senior thesis? From what I am seeing, it has to be interdisciplinary and part personal essay.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

RevMatt wrote:I haven't finished it yet but am enjoying it. What are the parameters for the senior thesis? From what I am seeing, it has to be interdisciplinary and part personal essay.

No official parameters, it was totally self designed and defined.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Jack Flash wrote:
RevMatt wrote:I haven't finished it yet but am enjoying it. What are the parameters for the senior thesis? From what I am seeing, it has to be interdisciplinary and part personal essay.

No official parameters, it was totally self designed and defined.

I'm loving your thesis, but I'm reading a little at a time. I really like how you've interwoven the musical aspects with the literary aspects of DBT, and I liked the conclusion (I've been skipping around). But, I'm taking my time, trying to take it all in. Also, I liked the bit about the Stones message board and how you found out about DBT. Can't say I understood, the music analysis and commentary, but, certainly, enjoyed reading it and trying to understand it.

One big mistake you may have made is regarding the ballsdeep quote. Remember, it wasn't ballsdeep making those comments about DBT and Matt Patten in particular, it was ballsdeep's friend who was at the Portland, Maine show. Remember, balls deep is from Alaska and didn't see that show. It was all very confusing.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Nice job, Jack Flash. Several years ago I attempted to compose a final project for a Masters of Arts on something resembling your thesis. I wasn't nearly as savvy or cunning enough & I wound up settling for designing a course on 20th Century American Protest Music. Again, impressive work.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Jack Flash wrote:Hey, everybody! I wrote my senior thesis about DBT! Isn’t that nuts? It was written using a combination of in-depth music theory analysis, traditional music journalism, and a bit of personal essay. This synthesis of writing styles, to my knowledge, does not exist anywhere else in the universe.

You can check it out in the Bennington College Crossett Library online catalog HERE. There are two files linked on that page: one is the thesis itself, and the other contains all the charts and transcriptions that go along with it. You’ll want to have them both open while you read so you can refer to the transcriptions as they are referenced in the text.

Be warned - it's quite lengthy! I hope you all enjoy it if you get a chance to read it.
I am working on a PhD dissertation that will include DBT. Someone shared the link to this page, and I was excited to see a link to your senior thesis, but alas, the link does not take me to the thesis. Once I do get into the Bennington library page I can find your thesis, but I am restricted from viewing it. Bummer.
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

ledward2 wrote:
Jack Flash wrote:Hey, everybody! I wrote my senior thesis about DBT! Isn’t that nuts? It was written using a combination of in-depth music theory analysis, traditional music journalism, and a bit of personal essay. This synthesis of writing styles, to my knowledge, does not exist anywhere else in the universe.

I am working on a PhD dissertation that will include DBT. Someone shared the link to this page, and I was excited to see a link to your senior thesis, but alas, the link does not take me to the thesis. Once I do get into the Bennington library page I can find your thesis, but I am restricted from viewing it. Bummer.
Hey there! Yeah, I think the Bennington site got a revamp a couple years back and my work was collateral damage. I have it up on my website now:

http://jeremyetc.com/2013/05/22/my-seni ... rty-south/

Hope it's helpful!

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Jack Flash wrote:
ledward2 wrote:
Jack Flash wrote: I am working on a PhD dissertation that will include DBT. Someone shared the link to this page, and I was excited to see a link to your senior thesis, but alas, the link does not take me to the thesis. Once I do get into the Bennington library page I can find your thesis, but I am restricted from viewing it. Bummer.
Hey there! Yeah, I think the Bennington site got a revamp a couple years back and my work was collateral damage. I have it up on my website now:

Hope it's helpful!
Thanks! That'll give me some good weekend reading.

I see you have some Springsteen articles on your website. I probably don't have time to read them now, but I thought I would share this scholarly (see: nerdy) article with you: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40071678?Se ... 692e6533fc

If it bores you then just stop reading it. No pressure. I will not quiz you on it. ;-) But for those of us who have waded into the abyss, we end up finding some really cool, creative writings on music.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Jack Flash wrote:
ledward2 wrote:

Hope it's helpful!
I thoroughly enjoyed your paper. The music theory stuff was over my head, but I still appreciated it. I am not a musician. I mess around with the bass, but I am just a hack. The other elements of the paper, however, were things I better understood. And they were well done. Thanks for sharing with me. Best wishes.