Does DBT have a hard rock/heavy metal following?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

linkous

Does DBT have a hard rock/heavy metal following?

Post by linkous »

Following on from the thread about why doesn't DBT have a big indie following, it got me thinking - Does DBT have a hard rock/heavy metal following?
I suspect they do, in fact I suspect a lot of the hardcore fans may like that type of music. For the record I am not a fan of this type of music, and this is probably the main reason that I don't enjoy parts of SRO as much as some do - even though I do recognise that this record is an important milestone in the DBT story. I am a big fan of the band but prefer the albums that came after SRO, and I also enjoy most of Pizza Deliverance before it. I know that DBT on SRO were far more subtle than many hard rock bands, and the concept behind the album is fairly interesting, but some of the music just doesn't move me or grab me the way that the music on albums such as TDS or DD do.
I grew up with Bowie, T Rex, Iggy, Lou Reed and The Velvets, was 16/17 when Punk stormed the UK, and was 19-22 during the post punk years, possibly my favourite musical era. I am a massive fan of Roots Reggae, especially the 70's era. My love affair with The Fall began in 1979 and they are still my favourite band to this day. I then fell in love with early REM, The Replacements, Husker Du and The Pixies. Latterly I have enjoyed what could loosely be described as Americana, and also artists such as LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, Flaming Lips and Wilco.
I have never enjoyed hard rock, all the way back to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, through Iron Maiden and all the "poodle haired" 80's and 90's rockers, too many to mention - I am sure you know who they are.
So, what about you - are you as a fan of DBT also a fan of hard rock?
Last edited by linkous on Sat May 11, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Does DBT have a hard rock/heavy metal following?

Post by RolanK »

If this board is representative, I would guess you find a fair share of the DBT fans also being into hard-rock or metal. There is a metal thread in the 'Other Music' section. However, I my impression is that these are people with a broad taste in music. My impression of the typical strict hard-rock fan is that it is more of a genre-ting, (like you may find with country and blues, also), and they never be interested in or dare to be searching outside their genre. Yes, there are heavy distorted guitars in DBT but the groove and feel of the music imo has little to do with metal/hard rock.

I guess my own interest in hard-rock/metal stops somewhere between Sabbath and Motörhead on one side and Maiden and Judas Priest on the other side. Never really understood the hair, pyro and galloping guitars, songs about digging trenches in WWI etc.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

linkous wrote:Does DBT have a hard rock/heavy metal following?

If you want to consider members of this board as a slice of their demographic that's representative of the DBT's fanbase over all I'd say yes. In the bigger picture I'd say diverse musical tastes run pretty rampant here (as well as on the DBT's Yahoo Group when it was more active). Death metal, hard rock, punk, world music, blues, jam bands, soul/R & B, jazz, rap and more obvious tastes such as folk, bluegrass, old school country are all represented here.

linkous wrote:So, what about you - are you as a fan of DBT also a fan of hard rock?

Yes, though I seem to be less interested in current hard rock than I am in listening to the stuff I grew up listening to whether it's Zeppelin or Pearl Jam.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

DBT and The Replacements both covered KISS. Does that answer your question?

On a more serious note...I think DBT fans like many different types of music...as we see on 3dd. I'm a huge fan of metal but also enjoy most of the music you mention in your post.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

WSPDBT

Post by WSPDBT »

I enjoy Weedeater, Electric Wizard, and Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats
The Dude Abides

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Many of us in the age range of Patterson and Cooley (although we all know that DBT appeals to a wide age range) grew up as fans of hard rock. The many documentaries out there prove that the distance between hard rock and metal is not that far. Over the last few years my teenage son has helped me learn to appreciate more metal while I have shown him why I love DBT's music so much.

My musical tastes vary over a wide range and DBT's music has actually helped to make that range even wider. The blend of rock, country, punk, soul, etc. along with great songwriting over the body of their catalog has obviously shown that DBT can cover a lot of ground.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

ruthy2705

Post by ruthy2705 »

As a hard rock / heavy metal fan I got into DBT through an article in classic rock magazine.The reason I checked them out was because of their southern rock influence as I have always been a southern rock fan.When I listened to sro tds and the other albums I knew it wasn't the rock music that I was used to but it blew me away.Through this site I have found bands like uncle tupelo ,Ryan Adams and especially lucero who would not have been on my radar before and have widened my taste. I think a lot of hard rock fans like would live DBT and I spread the word when I can.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I came of age in the mid to late 1980's and grew up a hard rock/metal fan. During college I discovered a lot of other bands/genres and now consider myself a fan of most musical genres and time periods. With that being said I am still a hard rock/metal fan at heart and I love DBT. So I guess they do have a hard rock/metal following....at least from me!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

WSPDBT wrote:I enjoy Weedeater, Electric Wizard, and Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats

\m/

check out this band too:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... opensearch

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I would say that DBT fans tend to have broad musical tastes. I have been turned onto a number of great artists from this board alone. I learned about Dale Watson who is a country traditionalist out of Austin who favors the honky tonk styles of Bakersfield, Memphis, Waylon, etc... I also was turned onto Opeth, a progressive death metal band from Sweden who have become one of my favorite bands. I may have turned a few people onto Antony and The Johnsons. Antony is a transgendered artist who is heavily influenced by Kate Bush, John Cale and Nina Simone. Through Patterson Hood's messages I've learned about artists like Centromatic (I can't think of a genre for them) and Bill Fay.

I listen to heavy metal and hard rock. I especially like bands in the stoner subgenre. Kyuss and Sleep are two personal favorites. I also like an instrumental hard rock/metal band called Pelican.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts