DBT - Steamboat CO 7/12/13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Fatah Ruark

DBT - Steamboat CO 7/12/13

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Just saw this date pop up. Looks like a festival...so maybe not a full set.

Either way I'm going to try to get to this one. Been wanting to go up to Steamboat in the summer time.

Gaetzi

Re: DBT - Steamboat CO 7/12/13

Post by Gaetzi »

I think it might be a full set, I believe its part of their summer concert series. Steamboat's phenominal in the summer, should be a blast!

Unfortunately, it's the same night as Galactic/Railroad Earth at Red Rocks (which I have friends flying in for).. I'm hoping they still do a Wed or Thur in Denver prior to these mtn shows.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Planning on making this, just have to figure out logistics. Steamboat is between 2.5 and 3 hours away from the Fort, hopefully closer to 2.5 assuming no moose encounters in North Park. I love this drive in the summer. Mr. CDD and Son-of-CDD will be at Scout camp in WY, so I've gotta figure out where to stay. Have some friends who live in Steamboat so should be able to make this happen. If anybody wants to carpool up there let me know!

Here is a link to an article:

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2013 ... s-sam-bus/

I think Gaetzi has it right - it's a free summer concert series, not a festival. Howelson Hill is the old ski jump hill smack in the middle of downtown Steamboat. They hold the winter festival there during which they wire a guy with a car battery and a bunch of Christmas lights and send him down the hill on skis. Craziness - love Steamboat.

Delta flies to Steamboat direct from the ATL and other locations, I'm sure. Colorado in the summertime is a sight to behold, people.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

We have Steamboat penciled in. Might do Telluride as well, but on the fence.

beergut

Post by beergut »

In.

We haven't been to CO in a long time, so we're fired up!

Hoping for one other show somewhere like Vail or Breckenridge.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Thur 7/11 in Denver, please!!

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

The better half and I are booked. Rabbit Ears Motel here we come! We're going to do the quick hot springs tour of Colorado. Steamboat Springs on Friday, and down to Glenwood Springs on Saturday. Home Sunday. Just can't rationalize the miles/fundage for a short festival set at Telluride. Hope to see you CO heads there!

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Probably going to have to miss this one. No way I can get off of work for it. Going to be the first DBT show I've missed in Colorado in 10 years (outside of Telluride which is a hell of a haul for a short set).

beergut

Post by beergut »

Fatah Ruark wrote:Probably going to have to miss this one. No way I can get off of work for it. Going to be the first DBT show I've missed in Colorado in 10 years (outside of Telluride which is a hell of a haul for a short set).

Bummer, as I was really looking forward to meeting you.
I'll get the show recorded.
Haven't been to TS in a long time. How many members of the "Crue" are left?
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

beergut

Post by beergut »

Starting to get fired up for this.

It's surprising that there are no other CO shows.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

beergut wrote:Starting to get fired up for this.

Not me. ;)

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Wow! Been so long since I logged in, WTF is my password?

I had originally planned to go up to the 'Boat for this show, but then my friend from New Zealand hatched a crazy plan to meet me in Denver and drive to Telluride for The Ride Festival. So I will get my mid-summer Trucker's fix, but not at this show. I hope everyone has a blast!

I just wanted to make y'all aware that somebody is Steamboat is organizing a tribute to a little boy named Asher Lesyshen-Kirlan, who was murdered by his mother in June of this year. Asher's dad is a big DBT fan, and folks are planning to wear purple to the show tomorrow in honor of Asher. A terrible tragedy, I certainly don't know all of the details but apparently the mother has confessed and has struggled with mental illness for some time. Asher was 4 when DBT played in Ft Collins at Mishawaka Amphitheater in 2008, and he was at that show, as was I.

Have a great show everyone, and remember that it's fucking great to be alive.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

colodogdoc wrote:Wow! Been so long since I logged in, WTF is my password?

I had originally planned to go up to the 'Boat for this show, but then my friend from New Zealand hatched a crazy plan to meet me in Denver and drive to Telluride for The Ride Festival. So I will get my mid-summer Trucker's fix, but not at this show. I hope everyone has a blast!

I just wanted to make y'all aware that somebody is Steamboat is organizing a tribute to a little boy named Asher Lesyshen-Kirlan, who was murdered by his mother in June of this year. Asher's dad is a big DBT fan, and folks are planning to wear purple to the show tomorrow in honor of Asher. A terrible tragedy, I certainly don't know all of the details but apparently the mother has confessed and has struggled with mental illness for some time. Asher was 4 when DBT played in Ft Collins at Mishawaka Amphitheater in 2008, and he was at that show, as was I.

Have a great show everyone, and remember that it's fucking great to be alive.

Thanks for sharing this story CDD. We'll miss you and will do our best to wear purple.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Still quite upset I'm missing a free DBT show in Steamboat....

UTHeathen, I got that Boulder shot framed and it's hanging proudly in my house, I've been meaning to take a picture and show you the final product.. It's killer man, thanks again!

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Gaetzi wrote:Still quite upset I'm missing a free DBT show in Steamboat....

UTHeathen, I got that Boulder shot framed and it's hanging proudly in my house, I've been meaning to take a picture and show you the final product.. It's killer man, thanks again!

I'm bummed we'll miss you too. Next time for sure. Glad you like the photo. I got lucky. Happy to share the wealth.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

I tried to not remember this show was happening (in order to not get depressed on missing my first DBT show within 5 hours of home in 10 years). Then my fucking brother reminded me of it yesterday.

Have fun up there.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

We're still on the road in beautiful northwest Colorado, so ill keep it quick.

Really fun show, probably at least 3000 people there (I'm guessing). The rain let up just in time for the Truckers to take the stage. More soon.

Here's the setlist

DBT's 7.12.13 steamboat

The living bubba
Devil don't stay
Dead drunk and naked
Guitar Man upstairs
Don't be in love around me
Marry me
Margo and Harold
Gravity's gone
Everybody needs love
Women without whiskey
Righteous path
Ghost to most
Mercy buckets
Love like this
Sinkhole
Get downtown
Hell no

E:
Birthday boy
Girls who smoke
Zip city
World of hurt
Shut up
Angels
Last edited by UTHeathen on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Got back from another great weekend in Colorado with some stories to tell and another great DBT show under my belt. Thank goodness for Maybelle, that's all I can say. We rolled into Steamboat Springs around 2:30 Friday afternoon and checked into the Rabbit Ears Motel. After some delicious grub at Johnny B. Goodes (including and "Adult" shake, with coffee and Sambuca, yum) we rode our bikes over to the venue, which is situated right next to the ski jump that just happens to be right smack in downtown Steamboat. After a July with no measurable rain, the monsoon season has brought lots of clouds and showers to the inter-mountain west. It started to drizzle, then outright rain great big warm drops throughout the opener, Robert Cline Jr., a Texas country guy. Thankfully the rain stopped right before the Truckers hit the stage. We grabbed our spot on the rail in Cooleyville and made a couple of new friends up there. When Patterson came out he mentioned that someone had died earlier today, I couldn't hear what he said but they seemed solemn as they started out with the Living Bubba. A few songs into the show I turned around and was a little shocked to see that the crowd had really filled in. There had to be several thousand folks that came out to see the show, toddlers to grandpa's. There were quite a few people in the crowd wearing purple in honor of Asher, the young boy who was murdered by his mother in Steamboat recently. Before Everybody Needs Love, Patterson dedicated it to Asher and called it "The Perfect Love Song". Don't be in Love Around Me and the resurrection of Righteous Path were highlights, as well as the ever rousing World of Hurt. Mercy Buckets killed as well. Of course Cooley didn't let us down. Love Like This and Guitar Man Upstairs, Gravity's Gone and I just love Ghost to Most, one of my all time faves. I've gotta say, we always meet nice people at the shows. Right when we walked in and sat down, at guy over to my left yells "hey Utah Heathen!". Turns out it was a guy named Scott that we had met in Boulder last April. On the flip side, true to form, with a couple of songs left in the show, three drunk chicks try to storm the rail. After being rebuffed, they continued to be totally drunk and obnoxious. One of them kept pushing my girlfriend until it got to the point that I had to separate them. At this point Angels and Fuselage was beginning and I knew the end was near so we just booked it, but dammit, we were so close. So close. Aside from that, what a great night. And free to boot! The next morning we soaked in the hot springs across the street from our Motel and laughed about the night before. Drunk chicks aside, we have nothing but great memories of Steamboat Springs and we can't wait to return. Just like the story Patterson told of when he got into Steamboat the day before the show with an awful headache. A woman at his hotel told him that he must have the Steamboat curse. When he asked what the curse was she said "Once you come to Steamboat, you'll come back". As far as curses go, I'll take it.

Here are some pics from the show:

Oh, and by the way, if you'd like to see any of the rest of my photos, over on FB I have a little page called Rock Shots. Look for the one with Jason in the profile pic.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^^^
Good stuff, Brett. Great pics too.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Great write up UTHeathen - sounds like a great time was had...

Love the pictures too...that last one is simply awesome....

Thanks!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Nice stuff!
Always go to the show

beergut

Post by beergut »

Hopefully I'll get my recording up on the archive within the next couple of days.

What a night!
What a beautiful place to see our favorite band!

snowyrange

Post by snowyrange »

What a great show. I'd love to hear it again. Can't wait to grab a listen off archive.

beergut

Post by beergut »

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Thanks for sharing amigo. Sounds great!

beergut

Post by beergut »

UTHeathen wrote:

Thanks for sharing amigo. Sounds great!

Thanks for the kind words!

Would it be possible to somehow get your great pictures from that night?
I'd really like to get some prints made.
Shoot me a PM if you want.