DBT ALBUMS - Week 4 - GANGSTABILLY

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

DBT ALBUMS - Week 4 - GANGSTABILLY

Post by Gang Green »

Unfortunately, I didn’t appreciate Gangstabilly until I was fully engaged with DBT in 2009. Gangstabilly along with Dirty South were the first two Trucker albums I purchased. It was 2005, I was in Charlottesville, VA and found an awesome Independent record store. I stepped into the store looking for Richmond Fontaine’s latest “The Fitzgerald”, but then I came across a display of all the DBT albums some of which had just been re-released on New West. Dirty South was a must as I had heard Danko and Manuel several times on WXPN and had to have it. During this time, I was a Band fanatic and loved anything remotely associated with the Band. Then I noticed this weird looking album called Ganstabilly, what a great name and what a bizarre cover. I had to have this album for the cover alone. I played both albums on the drive home from Charlottesville, and, needless to say, Dirty South grabbed me from the get go, but I struggled with Gangstabilly, except for Steve McQueen and possibly the Living Bubba. I didn’t give Gangstabilly a serious listen again until four year later after I was completely familiar with all the other Trucker’s albums. While never my favorite Truckers album, I did grow to appreciate Ganstabilly. It’s a truly unique album, and is special in so many ways. What makes Gangstabilly so special?

1. The cover, no it’s not Wes Freed, but it’s one of my favorite album covers of all time.

2. The crackling sound of the needle settling on the vinyl even on the CD.

3. Sandwiches for the Road and the Living Bubba, two of Patterson’s best and most personal songs. We all know about the Living Bubba, but Sandwiches for the Road a tribute to Eddie Hinton, the supremely talented and tortured artist, and friend of the Hood family, who was pretty much forgotten until revived by the Drive-by Truckers beginning with Sandwiches for Road.

4. Buttholeville and Steve McQueen two of DBTs best party songs, up there with Hell No I Ain’t Happy, Marry Me, or Three Dimes Down or the rest of their up tempo material.

5. The Tough Sell, I’m not sure why I love this song or if anyone else likes this song, but I’m a sucker for 70’s imagery. I was a full-fledged member of the 70’s preservation society. I’ve seen this song live twice, and loved it both times, especially at the 9:30 Club in the summer of 2010.

6. Late for Church, which seems to capture my attitude and view on religion. Yes, I relate to this song though I grew up Episcopalian in Scarsdale, NY, obviously, far from the Deep South. The combination of the thought provoking lyrics Adam Howell’s voice and the mandolin make for a perfect storm.

7. One of my favorite three song combos, The Tough Sell, The Living Bubba and Late for Church. I’ll sometimes play these three over and over again in the car. I only wish I had an 8 Track.

Ranking of Songs (my opinion):
Special Songs: Late for Church, Sandwiches for the Road, Living Bubba

Great Songs: Steve McQueen, Buttholeville, Panties in Her Purse

Songs I really like for some reason: The Tough Sell

Just Okay for me: Demonic Possession, Wife Beater

Songs I like elsewhere: Why Henry Drinks (I like the AAW version), 18 Wheels of Love (I like the live version from the ACL show complete with Patterson’s full narrative)

Liner Notes from Patterson Hood:

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS (1998):
Mike Cooley – Guitars, Vocals, Banjo on Late For Church
Patterson Hood – Guitars, Vocals, Banjo
Adam Howell – Big Ole Upright Bass, Vocals
Matt Lane – Drums
John Neff – Pedal Steel, Vocals
Special Guests:
Barry Sell – Mandolin, Backing Vocals on Late For Church
Jim Stacy – Campfire Harp on Steve McQueen, Po-Buckra Harp on Buttholeville
Redneck GReece – Trucker Harmonies on 18 Wheels of Love

Produced by Andy Baker, Andy LeMaster, and Drive-By Truckers

Recorded by Andy Baker and Andy LeMaster
at Chase Park Transduction Studios, Athens GA. in July 1997
Mixed by Andy Baker, Andy LeMaster and Patterson Hood
Original Mastering by Isacc McCalla at The Sandbox
New Mastering by Jeff Capurso at City Mastering

All Artwork by Jim Stacy / Voodoographics
Photo: “White Knuckle Tour 1997” by David Marr
New layout and configuration by Jenn Bryant, Patterson Hood, and
Website designed and maintained by Jenn Bryant http://www.knucklesammitch.com

Special Thanks beyond comprehension to Donna Jane Sampler, Ansley Cooley, Deb Sommer, Andy Baker, Andy LeMaster, David Barbe, Tony Eubanks, Wade and Pam Haddock, Brandon Haynie, Earl Hicks, and Jenn Bryant

Reissue Thanks to Peter Jesperson and all our great friends at New West Records, Rebecca Hood, Kimberly Morgan, Jason and Shonna, Brad, Scott Munn, David Barbe, and Jeff Capurso,

Licensed to New West Records by Soul Dump Music
Originally released in March, 1998 - Soul Dump Records <SDR - 002>
For extended liner and production notes and all your DBT Needs:
http://www.drivebytruckers.com

Update to the GANGSTABILLY Liner Notes from New West release:

So much has happened since this record was made, it almost seems like some other lifetime.

Drive-By Truckers began as a day in the studio at Andy Baker’s house in Athens GA.
I asked some talented friends I had recently met (while working sound at The High Hat Music Club in Athens) to join me for a day of recording and free beer. I also lured my old co-hort from back home, Mike Cooley, to join us for the day. He and I had played together for 6 years in the hard luck plagued band Adam’s House Cat and another two after that in various duos and groups before going our separate ways.

The day went great, and we recorded 5 songs (two of which became our first release, the 45 rpm single Nine Bullets / Bulldozers and Dirt). We had so much fun, I asked everyone if they’d be into doing a gig or two sometime.

Then I started booking “the band” every chance I got, and would play with whoever showed up. This was paramount, as Cooley lived 5 hours away and was in no hurry to commit to “joining a band”, plus most of the other guys played in multiple bands in and around Athens. All easily more established than mine.

Missing from that day in the studio was another old friend from home who had verbally committed to being involved. I had played with Chris Quillen off and on for several years. He was truly one of the most talented people I had ever met and I really looked forward to teaming him up with the Athens folks I’d recently met.

Less than a month before the session, Chris was killed in a car accident. He had been good-friends with Adam, Cooley and myself. The other guys never met him, but his presence was definitely felt by all of us that day.

Skipping ahead to the next summer, DBT was playing fairly regularly in the southeast and had a small but loyal following in Athens and Atlanta. We had just put out our 45 and desperately needed to make a full-length album.

Andy Baker came through for me, offering me studio time in exchange for labor on a recording studio he was building with new partners Andy LeMaster and David Barbe.

I jumped at the chance and soon was hanging sheet rock doing other “manly” chores I wasn’t really qualified to do. At night I’d work my sound job then be back at the studio the next morning. Thanks to all this, I soon had enough studio time to make “my album”.

We had well over an album of material set aside, but at the last minute wrote a bunch of new songs and ended up shelving the first one and recording the second one first. (The other songs made up the core of what later became our second album PIZZA DELIVERANCE.

We cut GANGSTABILLY “Live in the Studio” in two days, in late July of 1997.
We even cut the vocals “Live”, which was a technical nightmare, as the studio was small and there was lots of “bleed” for the engineers to contend with. In retrospect, I’m still glad we did it that way. It certainly adds to the vibe of the album and we certainly learned a lot from it.

The two Andy’s mixed it that November, days before we embarked on our first real tour.
(see photo)

We put out GANGSTABILLY in May of 1998.

All these years later, I have fond memories of this album.
It could not have been made without the help and influence of Jim Stacy (whose cover art adorned it and the follow-up and whose harmonica adds so much to Steve McQueen and Buttholeville). Andy Baker and Andy LeMaster whose patience and talent saved the day.
Ansley Cooley who supported us and loaned us her Mazda Protégé’ for our first tour and Donna Sampler who was din-mother supreme and who provided so much love and encouragement.

This record also would have never been made had I not met Gregory Dean Smalley.
Greg was an Atlanta Rocker (from Cabbagetown) who played in several great bands that made up the core of what was then called “The Redneck Underground”. Greg also had AIDS and spent the last year of his life playing as many shows as humanly possible.

I met Greg in Athens while working at The High Hat and was forever changed by his courage and attitude. I wrote “The Living Bubba” for and about him, just days before his death in 1996. He was one badassed beligerant little fucker.

Turn It Up Loud.
Patterson Hood
(Feb. 2004)

This album is Dedicated to the spirit and memory of Chris Quillen (Monster), Gregory Dean Smalley, and Eddie Hinton.

Additional Comments from Patterson from the DBT website:
This is our weakest album and we didn't really know how to do what we were trying to do yet.
It does, however have The Living Bubba, which is still the best song I've ever written, Panties In your Purse, which was one of Cooley's earliest creations, and Late For Church, which was written by our original bass player Adam Howell and is one of the weirdest and sublime things we ever recorded.
Jim Stacy's artwork was great, appropriate and misunderstood. I still love it. On the original CD we tried to make it sound like 2 sides of vinyl. Here on vinyl, it is actually 3 sides and sounds so much better than the original release that it is like a much better album to me. I wrote Demonic Possession during Pat Buchanan's speech at 1996 GOP convention, which was on the TV in the kitchen where I was (hardly) working at the time.

Cole Younger

Re: DBT ALBUMS - Week 4 - GANGSTABILLY

Post by Cole Younger »

It took me a while to work my way around to Gangstabilly. I came to the party just after the realease of ABAAC. I worked my way backwards through the catalogue and was completely buried in the middle of all those great songs on all those great records when BTCD came out and gave me a whole new bunch of songs to dive into before I could get around to the first two.

I personally thought GB sounded way more like the Truckers than PD but it was still so different from what came after those two albums (at least to me) that in a weird way, I almost didn't quite count it as a true Truckers album. Hard to explain, but I treated SRO as their first album with GB and PD being something else. Almost like demos with some good songs on them.

Once I finally spent some time listening to it, I loved it.

It's too hard for me to rank albums by this band other than saying The Dirty South is my favorite.

But I love GB. I love the crackling low fy quality of the sound.

Why Henry Drinks, Steve McQueen, Wife Beater, Panties In Your Purse, and of course, The Living Bubba are all top shelf Truckers to me. Those songs stand up to anything they've done since. I like 18 Wheels of Love, I just don't think the labum version is nearly as good as several versions that I've heard since. I personally am not crazy about the ACL record but I do like that version of 18 Wheels.

I like The Tough Sell just because it's so dang odd. It fits in with a hand full of other songs in the catalogue that are just so strange that they're good.

I don't hate Demonic Posession but to me it's one of the weaker moments on the record.

Although their sound would change, to me GB makes it obvious that this band was something special (still is of course).

Just having Why Henry Drinks, Steve McQueen, The Living Bubba, Panties in Your Purse, and Wife Beater on the smae record is pretty dang impressive.

The Cover Art is lost on me I guess. I hear people talk about how much they love it and I've never really thought much about it. I guess I missed something. To me the Wes Freed stuff is way better.

I'm glad they are playing these songs more these days and I really, really hope I get to see them play Steve McQueen. I've been lucky enough to catch The Living Bubba twice.

I know it's blaspehmy but I've never cared for Late For Church all that much. I like the mandolin and what not but the song just doesn't do much for me and seems a little out of place somehow. That's my one real complaint about GB other than the obvious...not enough Cooley.

Also, Sandwhiches For The Road is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. To me it is a terribly underrated song. Patterson always talks about The Living Bubba but to me Sandwhiches is just as good.

Buttholeville is another case of the Truckers speaking my language. I have felt that way about my home town at different points in my life. That's pretty well behind me now but I know exactly where Patterson was coming from on that one.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I picked up GB and PD after I had been immersed in the Holy Trinity plus ABAAC for several months.

I wasn't even sure it was DBT when I put it on. I struggled with it at first, based on my expectations as to what DBT should sound like.

"Late For Church" is the song that pushed me over the edge. God damn, that's a great song. Great record. "Panties In Your Purse" might be the most underrated song in the DBT canon.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Top Shelf:

Wife Beater
Living Bubba
Panties in Your Purse

Mid Tier:

Late For Church
Why Henry Drinks
18 Wheels of Love
Steve McQueen
Sandwiches For the Road
Buttholeville

Not My Favorite:

Demonic Possession
The Tough Sell

Songs like Buttholeville and Why Henry Drinks elevate to Top Tier live.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Other than The Living Bubba it took me forever to come around to this album. Even today I prefer the live versions of Gangstabilly songs compared to their studio counterparts, especially Buttholeville and Steve McQueen.

I don't dislike Gangstabilly and it has it's own unique charm. It's probably the DBT album I listen to the least. But it contains The Living Bubba, which most days is my all-time favorite DBT song.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I just want to live long enough to hear The Drive By Truckers play Steve McQueen live in my presence.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I was psyched to hear Steve McQueen in Boulder a few weeks ago. And Buttholeville!

I have a hard time reconciling the more acoustic feel and setting of Gangstabilly to everything the Truckers are about live. Gangstabilly is about as 'folky' as the DBT can be.. At least with Pizza Deliverance you have distortion on the acoustic tracks (9 Bullets- at least I've always assumed it's a distorted acoustic guitar) and you've got DBT classics like they still sound live today (Uncle Frank, Company I keep, etc) In the end, I almost feel like Gangtabilly came from a different band. Or at least, a very embyronic version of what the Truckers would become.. But that said, tunes like The Living Bubba, Steve McQueen and Panties in Your Purse are classic Truckers.. Not an album I listen too very often but I'm sure glad it's out there!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I finally got to see them do Steve McQueen during the first show of this years NYE run, but I had been waiting along time.

I remember in 2010 when I went to see the Truckers at the Fillmore in San Francisco. I was fully expecting them to play Steve McQueen because the Bullet car chase took place in San Francisco. I told my wife and her aunt and uncle who all went to the show with me to get ready, they are going to play Steve McQueen. They didn't quite share in my enthusiasm, but were willing to partake in the preparations. We watched Bullet on NETFLIX and tried to count the hubcaps, then my wife's aunt took us on a tour of San Francisco which included the key locations where the Bullett was shot and where the car chase took place. We were ready for the rock show. They didn't play Steve McQeen, and I felt a little foolish.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Caught "Steve McQueen" once, at Tip's in NOLA in '04.
Love GB. It's just as much a DBT album as any of 'em. Song for song, it's hard to beat.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Smitty wrote:Caught "Steve McQueen" once, at Tip's in NOLA in '04.
Love GB. It's just as much a DBT album as any of 'em. Song for song, it's hard to beat.

As I was ranking the songs in my write-up, I realized you might be right, about the song for song thing. Also, as I doing the write-up, I realized that GB might be their strangest album. I mean that in a good way, but I can't explain it. But, it's this strange quality which brings me back to GB which I do listen to a lot.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

my favorite dbt record on many, many days.

completely original and earnest.

and it has grudge fucks.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Gang Green wrote:I finally got to see them do Steve McQueen during the first show of this years NYE run, but I had been waiting along time.

I remember in 2010 when I went to see the Truckers at the Fillmore in San Francisco. I was fully expecting them to play Steve McQueen because the Bullet car chase took place in San Francisco. I told my wife and her aunt and uncle who all went to the show with me to get ready, they are going to play Steve McQueen. They didn't quite share in my enthusiasm, but were willing to partake in the preparations. We watched Bullet on NETFLIX and tried to count the hubcaps, then my wife's aunt took us on a tour of San Francisco which included the key locations where the Bullett was shot and where the car chase took place. We were ready for the rock show. They didn't play Steve McQeen, and I felt a little foolish.

I hate to tell you this, but my first show was at the Fillmore two years earlier and they played it then. On the other hand, I think that show you and your folks went to was the best DBT show I've ever seen.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Top Shelf:

Wife Beater
Living Bubba
Panties in Your Purse

I see a lot of country music in that list.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:

Wife Beater
Living Bubba
Panties in Your Purse

I told you, it's complicated

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Gang Green wrote:I finally got to see them do Steve McQueen during the first show of this years NYE run, but I had been waiting along time.

I hate to tell you this, but my first show was at the Fillmore two years earlier and they played it then. On the other hand, I think that show you and your folks went to was the best DBT show I've ever seen.

Yes, that 2010 show was a great show. And, don't get me wrong, we had tons of fun preparing for Steve McQueen. Lots of martinis were consumed in the process. Again, I'm happy I finally saw it performed last winter.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This will forever and always be my favorite DBT's album with Pizza Deliverance running a close second. I know those that heard it well after the fact may find issue with it but since it was the first album I ever heard by the DBT's there was obviously nothing to compare it to. To my ears, it holds up well and the warts and all approach never really bothered me as they are all a part of the charm of the album.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

A lot of fans don't consider DBT a country band, but this album is proof that they're just as much a country band as they are a rock band.
Best version of "Buttholeville" by far.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"The Gangstabilly EP":

The Living Bubba
Panties in Her Purse
Buttholeville

Grade: A+

"The Gangstabilly EP, w/ extra tracks" (or B side if you prefer):

The Living Bubba
Panties in Her Purse
Buttholeville
Steve McQueen
Sandwiches for the Road

Grade: A

The actual Gangstabilly album:

Grade: B (reflecting a range of grades I go through depending on the day and my mood)

I'd like to think that if I'd heard this album in "real time" I would have at least recognized the promise of this new band w/ a kind of new sound and a warped (that's a compliment) sense of humor and maybe even have immediately fallen for it. Not sure I would have, though, which is totally on me. As others have said, coming to GB in retrospect w/ at least some of the later albums as the reference point, it was hard to warm to this one at first ("Living Bubba" aside). I now think it's a very good album, an excellent debut and a portent of things to come (talent wise if not necessarily stylistically, but even so, one can directly trace the progression from Gangstabilly to today).

The "EP tracks" are inarguable. The rest is much more a matter of individual taste and quirks. I agree w/ others who think that many of these songs are now better in live performance. I think that speaks to the talent of the band but it doesn't change my view of the album itself. It remains my least listened to DBT album and pretty much the only one that I cherry pick songs from rather than listen to straight through.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Usually, an album that was as lo-fi as Gangstabilly (or Pizza Deliverance) might have been a turn off to me back in the late 90's (or at any point for that matter) but as I mentioned in a previous post, that aspect of those albums actually lent them a certain irresistible charm. That includes the sound of a needle being set down at the beginning of each "side". In fact, I will go as far as to say that those aspects of Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance broadened my horizons a great deal when it came to being more receptive to records/bands that might have been a little rough around the edges. In addition to the songwriting, I was also sucked in by the sound of acoustic instruments rubbing elbows with electric ones. It sort of reminded me of all of the guitars, banjos and fiddles that can be heard going off during David Allan Coe's "Punkin Center Barn Dance".

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, I'm a sucker for those needle sounds, too, KG :)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Wife Beater
Living Bubba
Panties in Your Purse

I told you, it's complicated

You and country music have a similar relationship to drunk college kids who like to screw, but want to keep their options open.

Clams

Post by Clams »

No disrespect to JI, but Late For Church might be DBT's best non-Hood/Cooley song.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:No disrespect to JI, but Late For Church might be DBT's best non-Hood/Cooley song.

woah, woah, woah

woah

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:No disrespect to JI, but Late For Church might be DBT's best non-Hood/Cooley song.

woah, woah, woah

woah

Yeah I strongly disagree. But that's cool.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I love that opinion. :D I can't quite go there with the likes of Danko Manuel and Outfit lurking about, but I dig the fact that you think it. Right on.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

I can only imagine the response had it been a Rob Malone song instead. By the way, I also love "Late For Church" but I don't think I could put it up there with Jason's best contributions to the DBT's.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I could get behind this.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Et tu, Smittus?

Bad enough that Clamsie's off the reservation, but smitty (and i assume swamp) jumping in behind him?

If my house were surrounded by a spiked metal fence i just might jump out the window.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Smitty wrote:

I could get behind this.

add me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh my.