DBT Albums - Week 3 - Alabama Ass Whuppin'

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

docturk

DBT Albums - Week 3 - Alabama Ass Whuppin'

Post by docturk »

Alabama Ass Whuppin': Live and Loud Way Down in Georgia (1999)

"Why Henry Drinks"
"Lookout Mountain"
"The Living Bubba"
"Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus)"
"Don't Be in Love Around Me"
"18 Wheels of Love"
"The Avon Lady"
"Margo and Harold"
"Buttholeville"
"Steve McQueen/Gimmie' Three Steps "
"People Who Died"
"Love Like This"

Recorded LIVE in Athens and Atlanta fall 1999
(2000 - Second Heaven Records, rereleased 2002 - Terminus Records)

The best way, I imagine, to really enjoy AAW is with a couple 16 ounce PBR tall boys, a room smelling of spilt beer and sweat, and a fresh pack of camel lights. Add in the forthcoming vinyl re-release cranked up to 11 and you should have the true AAW experience.

I usually refer to AAW as the real missing link to the Truckers, and as the band (and I) grows older it only becomes more apparent. The jump from the Trucker's first two albums to Southern Rock Opera is almost alarming until one takes into account AAW, with it's "turned up to 11" guitars and it's whiskey soaked attitude colliding with Patterson's growing talent of storytelling. With the first crash of "Why Henry Drinks" it's clear that the live version already beats the hell out of the studio version, and this becomes a pattern throughout the album. Patterson announces the band's name and for the next 70 or so minutes the band rips through almost 70% of their recorded material with a ferocity that is missed on the recordings. When Cooley's lone song on the album "Love Like this" finally comes around at the end it's almost heartbreaking. The album finally lets up to a moment of drunkenly sad romantic storytelling concerning alcoholism and domestic abuse. Classic Cooley.

You could easily write multiple pages on the beauty of "The living Bubba". Patterson constantly calls it his greatest song and it's hard to argue against it. The version on AAW provides a brief set up that would be expanded on throughout the years, and it really benefits the song. The same can certainly be said of "18 wheels of Love", a song that might never be truly finished. It's performance on AAW gives it the feet that'll carry it from an almost novelty-esque song on Gangstabilly to the classic that shows up on the Austin City Limits recording.

"It's gotta be Sleezy."
"Yeah, Sleezy. Slezzy as hell man, I mean, 1971, this woman drove a 1970 impala..."
"But it's gotta be sexy too..sexy"
"No, she was nothing sexy"

The Avon Lady provides AAW with one of it's exclusives. Honestly, it's a great story, but the song sadly goes nowhere. If anything it's an experiment in a type of songwriting that Hood would later perfect with "Days Of Graduation" and "The Three Great Alabama Icons". Sure enough, as soon as the story ends the band suddenly follows, giving the lofi-live album it's only awkward moment. "People who died" gets a great take, establishing it as one of the Trucker's regular covers that will only grow in rawness and intensity over the years.

Several AHC song shows their face on the record, but one previously claimed by the Truckers sticks out. Buttholeville, a song notorious in it's home state, adds a bit of foreshadowing to the album.
"Tired of my kids, Ronnie and Neil"
On it's original release on Gangstabilly it seemed to be nothing more than a reference. But by the time "Steve McQueen" rolls around with it's inclusion of a portion of "Gimmie Three Steps" it's clear that the Truckers have something more than a simple appreciation of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Maybe they somehow relate to the band, being musicians from the south struggling against image and expectations. Patterson has said that at this point most of the next album was written, so the band had some idea of what was coming. But no one in the Athens and Atlanta audiences those nights could have seen the beast of "Southern Rock Opera" that would emerge in the next year.

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: DBT Albums - Week 3 - Alabama Ass Whuppin'

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Truckers were already performing a few tunes from Southern Rock Opera during this era. I know for sure that they performed the entire record on the last night of Sleazefest (R.I.P.) in August of 2000 at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill, a good year before the album was even released.

Personally, I don't think there's all that big of a transition from Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance to Southern Rock Opera. That said, what threw me off a bit about seeing the Truckers live for the first time was that it was more of a straight up rock show than I was expecting from listening to Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance. That's a huge part of what Alabama Ass Whuppin' represents to me, a very accurate snapshot of what the rock show sounded like circa 1999. I feel very fortunate to have seen them something like 4 times prior to Rob leaving the band (the first of which is represented on the back cover of Alabama Ass Whuppin'). During this period Earl also came onboard and not real long after the release of Southern Rock Opera, Rob was gone and Jason joined up. Despite the line up changes and the adaption to playing Southern Rock Opera live, I still think of this era as a whole with the biggest shift being Jason becoming a member post-Southern Rock Opera. The shows were still just as raucous and rockin' as before, just with more guitar.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I fucking love this album. :D

That is all.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

docturk wrote:
I usually refer to AAW as the real missing link to the Truckers, and as the band (and I) grows older it only becomes more apparent. The jump from the Trucker's first two albums to Southern Rock Opera is almost alarming until one takes into account AAW, with it's "turned up to 11" guitars and it's whiskey soaked attitude colliding with Patterson's growing talent of storytelling. With the first crash of "Why Henry Drinks" it's clear that the live version already beats the hell out of the studio version, and this becomes a pattern throughout the album.

Totally agree. The album versions seem bare in comparison. Especially on Why Henry Drinks & Love Like This. Nice write-up.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

LastLawson wrote:
docturk wrote:
I usually refer to AAW as the real missing link to the Truckers, and as the band (and I) grows older it only becomes more apparent. The jump from the Trucker's first two albums to Southern Rock Opera is almost alarming until one takes into account AAW, with it's "turned up to 11" guitars and it's whiskey soaked attitude colliding with Patterson's growing talent of storytelling. With the first crash of "Why Henry Drinks" it's clear that the live version already beats the hell out of the studio version, and this becomes a pattern throughout the album.

Totally agree. The album versions seem bare in comparison. Especially on Why Henry Drinks & Love Like This. Nice write-up.

Couldn't agree more.Love this album,very nice write up.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Yes, those show at the famous Star Bar on Moreland Ave were fuckin insane..it's amazing we made it out alive to tell the tale......

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I don't have this one. :oops: looking forward to the re-issue.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

any news on the reissue?

-justin

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

i thought someone said the reissue was going to be vinyl and CD. i hope so, because i don't have a turntable...

-justin

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

notdaryet wrote:any news on the reissue?

-justin

I forget his exact wording but Patterson mentioned that it's still on the way in one of his recent posts here.

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

This was the first DBT album I bought when it was released (I actually pre-ordered it through the website). I couldn't wait to hear it, as I had been listening to GB and PD non-stop at that point. I don't think I had heard any live shows yet, so Patterson's storyteller introductions blew me away, and the band rocked much harder than I expected!

Here's the release announcement the band sent out at the time:

ALABAMA ASS WHUPPIN' (LIVE AND LOUD WAY DOWN IN GEORGIA, 1999)

Release date is currently (hopefully) set for Tuesday, August 1 2000. and we're PUMPED.

After months of hard work and tough love, a home has been chosen for AAW. A fine group of forward thinking individuals known collectively as SecondHeaven.com (http://www.SecondHeaven.com) have been chosen to take the reigns of this mighty beast!!!!

As per our modern world, we're taking the internet route with this one. This release will be available ONLY on line (at least for now)

since y'all are all going to want to know more, I'll give 'ya the skinny now...

First off, IT'S MASSIVE SOUNDING! recorded over several shows in the last year by board master Earl Hicks, AAW smacks LOUDLY of all the things you love about DBT. It's a 'warts and all' record, no overdubs- no fixing (save for a harmony here and there.) In addition to Hicks, the finest of Georgia talent were used in the mixing (David Barbe - hell yeah!) and mastering (Rodney Mills, pure genius) to make this one of the cleanest, loudest and most over the top albums we could have imagined.

Second...the songs...

As many of you know, there has been a real sonic progression for DBT over the years. One of our favorite things about the album is that some older stuff gets to be heard as they sound now. Of course, what live show would be complete without the stories that accompany the tunes, some of the best are on here too.

And oh yeah, did I forget to mention the PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED SONGS... hehehehe... wait till you get a load of these... even some of you die hard folks may not have had the chance to catch these live before...

track listing? ok!
1. WHY HENRY DRINKS
2. LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN
3. THE LIVING BUBBA
4. TOO MUCH SEX (TOO LITTLE JESUS)
5. DON’T BE IN LOVE AROUND ME
6. 18 WHEELS OF LOVE
7. THE AVON LADY
8. MARGO AND HAROLD
9. BUTTHOLEVILLE
10. STEVE MCQUEEN
11. PEOPLE WHO DIED
12. LOVE LIKE THIS

anyways, you guys are the greatest fans ever. and this is all for you.

I'll get back up with everyone as things progress about the release date, possible CD release parties (although the tour with Slobberbone looks to be one massive, 3 week release party) and some other cool news as it comes in.

thanks so much to all of y'all without your support none of this would be happening

Now you take more home from a show then just that weird guy/girl, a hangover and head-banger neck.

all for now,
luvs
The General.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Damn docturk when I started reading your post I thought it was the liner notes.

Awesome job. Thank you.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Clams

Post by Clams »

And Mrs. Belcher, with her red bouffant standing up to about here
If you don't run you rust

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

Amazon is listing a 9/3/13 release date for both CD and vinyl. i guess it will be announced soon. maybe tomorrow?

http://www.amazon.com/Alabama-Ass-Whupp ... 33&sr=8-20

http://www.amazon.com/Alabama-Ass-Whupp ... 33&sr=8-20

-justin

Coney

Post by Coney »

I got AAW in the mail a few weeks ago--along with Go Go Boots and The Big To-Do. The sudden abundance of material was a bit overwhelming. But AAW explained a few things for me. I know PH has talked about the band having something of a punk identity early on and I never really understood that, even after hearing them do People Who Died and The Clash intro at their show. And then I heard this album and immediately thought of another band I love--X. So today I listened to More Fun in the New World. Songs like Painting the Town Blue and Devil Doll sound to me like they are in the same family as Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus), Steve McQueen and especially Don't Be in Love Around Me. The tempo, the guitar sound and the wonderful messiness of the songs all remind me of one another. I may be the only person to make this connection, but it's my story and I am sticking to it.
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Coney wrote:I got AAW in the mail a few weeks ago--along with Go Go Boots and The Big To-Do. The sudden abundance of material was a bit overwhelming. But AAW explained a few things for me. I know PH has talked about the band having something of a punk identity early on and I never really understood that, even after hearing them do People Who Died and The Clash intro at their show. And then I heard this album and immediately thought of another band I love--X. So today I listened to More Fun in the New World. Songs like Painting the Town Blue and Devil Doll sound to me like they are in the same family as Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus), Steve McQueen and especially Don't Be in Love Around Me. The tempo, the guitar sound and the wonderful messiness of the songs all remind me of one another. I may be the only person to make this connection, but it's my story and I am sticking to it.
Boom Coney - nice.