DBT Albums - Week 2 - A Blessing and A Curse

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LastLawson

DBT Albums - Week 2 - A Blessing and A Curse

Post by LastLawson »

Recorded during August 2005, and released April 2006, A Blessing and A Curse is DBT's sixth studio album.
Main members: Mike Cooley, Patterson Hood, Jason Isbell, Brad Morgan and Shonna Tucker.
Guests: David Barbe, Mitch Easter, JoJo Herman and John Neff.

As shown in The Secret to a Happy Ending this record was produced under strenuous circumstances, and this is reflected in the songs. This seems to be DBT's most personal record, and unlike previous releases does not have any historically minded songs or an obvious theme. However, all the songs focus on life's darkest moments and how people cope with them. Although many songs are very dark, the end of each side sends an uplifting message; I can make this better.

You also really feel each singer's emotional investment in each song; especially on Feb. 14, Goodbye, Daylight, Space City, & A World of Hurt.

Track Listing
Side 1
Feb. 14
Gravity's Gone
Easy on Yourself
Aftermath USA
Goodbye
Daylight
Side 2
Wednesday
Little Bonnie
Space City
A Blessing and A Curse
A World of Hurt

I can honestly say that there is not one thing about this track list that I would change. Even though there aren't as many stand-out songs as previous albums, the album as a whole is great; I never skip any song on here.

As well as the more personal approach to the lyrics, the album really highlights the musical differences between Jason Isbell & the rest of DBT. Isbell's pop-tinged contributions give us a glimpse of the songs he would write after DBT, particularly in Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit . Hood's songs sound like songs that could have been written/performed in the GB/PD/AAW era, or even back to Adam House Cat's days. Cooley's two songs (I know, not enough Cooley!) are probably the most DBT songs on the album; they could've been easily put on any other DBT album.

Weaknesses: There is not really a song on this record that stands out and grabs you by the balls the first time you hear it. The only two that stand out after first listening are Space City & A World of Hurt, and those are at the end of the record. SRO had Ronnie & Neil, DD had Sink Hole, TDS had Where the Devil Don't Stay. What does ABAAC have? Feb. 14 & Gravity's Gone. Good songs, but not comparable. Which leads to me to minor complain #2: Gravity's Gone is not a song you want to listen to over and over again, there's just something about the music.

Strengths: Great track order, again I would not change anything. Also, almost every song grabs you by "the feels" because you can almost hear their emotions spilling out of the record. Superb musicianship as always, especially Neff on World of Hurt. This is DBT's shortest album, but I like that. It doesn't feel like anything was shoved in there to make it longer.

While this album doesn't have as many killer songs as TDS or SRO, this might be DBT's best album besides Decoration Day. It definitely is DBT's most personal record, and captures that part of their career perfectly.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Zip City

Re: DBT Albums - Week 2 - A Blessing and A Curse

Post by Zip City »

As usual, my personal favorites from this record don't align with the majority of 3DD.

Top Tier

Little Bonnie
Goodbye
Space City
World of Hurt

Mid Tier

Gravity's Gone
Aftermath USA
A Blessing and a Curse

Bottom Tier

Feb. 14
Easy on Yourself
Daylight
Wednesday

In other words, the slow, sad songs are my favorites, while the uptempo rockers don't do much for me.

I have a weird relationship with straight-forward, uptempo rockers from Patterson; songs like Wednesday, Feb. 14, Careless, Something's Got To Give, etc. have never done anything for me.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Ah Blessing.

The most polarizing of the catalogue. It's that child in the family that you have to keep your eye on.

I hear the differences in this on from SRO-TDS, and agree that there is no definite sense of place (or at least not as much) or time on this one.

But this is the one that made me a Trucker fan so it will always have a special place for me. I had heard about DBT for a while but just kept putting them off and when ABAAC came out I figured I would start with the newest record.

I liked it immediately but I couldn't quite find a song that sort of pulled it together for me...until Gravity's Gone came on. There was no turning back after that. It all made sense then.

I gotta disagree on not wanting to hear it over and over. I am at the other end of the road from you there because I've listened to it A BUNCH and still do. Some of the greatest Coolyisms ever in that song.

I feel like ABAAC gets a bad rap. I love it. And I don't get the dislike of the Jason songs. I like them both.

Here is where I become a heretic. World Of Hurt, on the record I just like it ok. Live is a different thing altogether. I love it live but not as much on record.

I did my song of the week on Feb. 14 and I won't rehash that but it's a very personal song to me.

I also think that with songs like Little Bonnie and Space City we saw something of a foreshadowing of the dark and moodyness that would come with BTCD.

I count myself lucky to have seen Wednesday at the rock show.

Patterson says they'll never play the title track live again and to me that's a shame.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Here is where I become a heretic. World Of Hurt, on the record I just like it ok. Live is a different thing altogether. I love it live but not as much on record.

No heresy there. In fact, I think most would agree with you

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

CY has it right, this is absolutely the most polarizing record in the canon and I've been on all ends of it. So much so that I should probably just leave this topic alone, but hell I like to talk so what the hell? I loved it on first listen and was surprised when others were less effusive. Quickly though the Jason songs wore thin for me and it disrupted the flow of the album so much that I stopped listening for close to two years. When I came back to it I realized that some of my favorites from the live show were on it and dismissing it was a bit silly. Sure World of Hurt is better live but it's a nice album closer and the studio cut works fine. Wednesday might be the most underrated track in the whole of the DBT catalog as it hits despair right on it's nose belying the dark lyrics with a buoyant riff and great melody. Aftermath USA is a good song but it what it really does for me is make me realize that I don't listen to the Faces as often as I should and for that alone I love it. Goodbye is so relatable that it sticks with you for days after hearing it and if Little Bonnie doesn't make you cry you should check your tear ducts, or your heart. Gravity's Gone is one of my all time favorite Cooley songs and Space City is simply gorgeous. Simply. Gorgeous. The title cut doesn't quite work but it's a hardly a bad track and Feb 14 is a barnburner. So why don't I consider this among the best DBT records? It all comes back to the Jason songs. The fact that I dislike them is personal taste and I'm tired of that argument, tomato, tom-ahto and all that jazz. No, what I think is really going on is that they don't fit well. Jason was going somewhere else musically and eventually successfully realized that one his own, but no so much here. I'm not a track skipper, I almost never do it so if I can't leave a record on start to finish I don't listen to it much. This is one of those despite the fact that I absolutely love the vast majority of the songs. Oh and if one day I finally get to hear Goodbye live you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face for days.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

To me Goodbye is a very underrated song. It's beautiful and one ofthe most universally relatable songs Patterson has ever written in my opinion.

I've always liked Space City a lot but I have to admit that I appreciated it a lot more after seeing Cooley play it on TSTAHE. I've never really felt like I understood what was going on with him at the end of it but it strikes a chord somehow.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Ok, here's my track breakdown, I like to think that these songs could all be about one person:

Feb. 14: Love this song, gets better after every listen. Especially the clavioline (did I spell that correctly?) playing by Mitch Easter. And I can't help but think of Jason & Shonna for the lyrics, even though PH probably wrote this based on one of his past relationships.
Gravity's Gone: Has so many "Cooleyisms" but the music does not wear well for me.
Easy on Yourself: Doesn't sound like a DBT song, but still like it. Listen to it when I'm procrastinating on school work :mrgreen: . Very catchy, and love the guitar parts.
Aftermath USA: Killer song, love "meat in my freezer all thawed", again the guitar work is superb. Shoutout to Cooley's backing vocals on this track; really adds to it.
Goodbye: Again, you can really feel PH's intensity on this one. Jason's keyboards and Shonna's bass riff should be given credit here; without them the song would be too dreary.
Daylight: I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has this as their most played song on their iPod. Like Jason's slide guitar and soaring vocals, but this is a song best kept for the studio based on a few youtube videos. I feel it's a great end to Side 1 as it shows that even though the narrator's been through a lot of shit they're still kicking and haven't given up.
Wednesday: One of the few story-telling songs on this album, and the lyrics are great: "but his castle stank of cat shit and alone". The music really fits the chaos of the lyrics.
Little Bonnie: Nice smooth alt-country song that doesn't break the flow of the album. I'm always surprised by how much I listen to it.
Space City: Another song with great lyrics. Do like the music more on Potato Hole, but that's instrumental.
A Blessing and A Curse: Definitely my least favorite song on the album. Feels to long, and definitely isn't as catchy as Wednesday.
A World of Hurt: I prefer this version to live versions, as PH often leaves out certain lines. Also, this version has guitar, pedal steel, and keyboards! Probability that we'll hear that again is slim. Perfect end to the album, one of the best closers along with Angels & Fuselage.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Send me a pm if anyone's interested in doing one of these threads. I can get you in as soon as next week, and you can pretty much have your pick of any studio, live, solo etc dbt-related record.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

As this was the first DBT album I bought, this one has a soft spot with me. Especially "Gravity's Gone" and "Feb.14." Both really hit on me at an appropriate time when I picked up the CD, and I've loved those songs ever since. I finally caught Cooley playing that at the last DBT show I saw. Perfection.

"Goodbye," and "World Of Hurt" were also pretty poignant to me at this time too.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Good stuff Lawson.

I feel like I'm probably the most adamant ABAAC supporter on the board, and I'll never pass up on an opportunity to sing its praises.

This was the album that sold me on DBT. The moment I heard the line "cocaine rich comes quick, that's why the small dicks have it all" I realized I was discovering something that would change my life, musically speaking. The sound of the guitars on Aftermath just floored me. The hits kept coming. "His castle stank of cat-shit and alone". Who the fuck writes lines like that? I was so hooked that I went home, read the rest of their album reviews, ran back to the record store the next day and bought SRO, DD, and TDS sight unseen.

I listen to this album pretty frequently. IMO its the best DBT record outside of the Holy Trinity.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Iowan wrote:Good stuff Lawson.

I feel like I'm probably the most adamant ABAAC supporter on the board, and I'll never pass up on an opportunity to sing its praises.

This was the album that sold me on DBT. The moment I heard the line "cocaine rich comes quick, that's why the small dicks have it all" I realized I was discovering something that would change my life, musically speaking. The sound of the guitars on Aftermath just floored me. The hits kept coming. "His castle stank of cat-shit and alone". Who the fuck writes lines like that? I was so hooked that I went home, read the rest of their album reviews, ran back to the record store the next day and bought SRO, DD, and TDS sight unseen.

I listen to this album pretty frequently. IMO its the best DBT record outside of the Holy Trinity.

Thanks. This is part of the Holy (Isbell) Trinity. But this was different from their past albums because there was nothing beside their accents to suggest that they're southern. I guess they felt that they had covered the complexities of the south enough. Maybe that's why it had the highest Billboard rating (until BTCD) of any DBT album; it's easier for non-southerners to relate to.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

If I'm not mistaken, Feb 14 goes back to Patterson's Lot Lizzards days. It seems like I remember that the Trucker version ended up with different lyrics.

To me Daylight is a really good song. I know not many here like it and that's cool but I always have. And he may be talking about something completely seperate from him and Shonna/the band, but it sure sounds like his DBT swansong, which it ended up being whether intentional or not.

And Easy On Yourself absolutely sounds like a DBT song to me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think the best Jason song was left off the album

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Zip City wrote:I think the best Jason song was left off the album

Yup

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Yeah I've heard that.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

which song ? Crystal Clear or Drop The Weapon

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dbtfan4life wrote:which song ? Crystal Clear or Drop The Weapon

When the Well Runs Dry

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

One interesting point about Isbell's contribution to this album that I didn't realize until years later is the fact that he had already written & performed many of the songs that appeared on his solo albums before they recorded A Blessing and A Curse. Songs like Crystal Clear, Brand New Kind of Actress, Grown, Hurricanes & Hand Grenades, The Magician, Whisper, Chicago Promenade, Shotgun Wedding, Try, Dress Blues, etc., had all been played during solo shows, Jason Isbell Trio shows, and even 1 or 2 were played during DBT shows.

Did he hold these songs back from A Blessing and A Curse? Were the others not interested in these songs for a DBT album? Anyone have any idea?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Re: DBT Albums - Week 2 - A World of Hurt

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I don't have my copy available to play too much with each track, but given what was available to work with, well, this would be a whole different record, don't you think?

Feb. 14
Gravity's Gone
Easy on Yourself
Aftermath USA
When the Well Runs Dry
Goodbye
Daylight
Wednesday
Little Bonnie
Space City
TVA
A World of Hurt

UPDATE:I actually like A Blessing and A Curse. It just sounds out of place on the record. On The Fine Print, it'd be a pretty good song. We might even be talking about whether it should have been on this record instead of...
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Regarding the title track, its not as a great of a song as you've seen out of Patterson Hood, but I'll be damned if that isn't some sweet guitar work. I don't seek it out, but I almost never skip it.

Hud

Post by Hud »

I always felt like the recording was not the best, I don't have the best stereo though..... I think the songs are great.

I saw Let's Active 2 times in the 80's and had Afoot ep and Cypress lp, I lost interest with Big Plans for Everybody lp and haven't had any interest since. I seem to have this with most artist, the live shows keep my interest alive.

Thought I better edit my post, I sure don't want to cause a false rumor.
Last edited by Hud on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Clams

Post by Clams »

From DBT's website, here are the liner notes:
DBT - Mike Cooley, Patterson Hood, Jason Isbell, Brad Morgan and Shonna Tucker

GUESTS - David Barbe, Mitch Easter, JoJo Herman and John Neff

Most of this album was recorded in a couple of weeks up at Mitch Easter's fantastic recording facility The Fidelitorium in beautiful little Kernersville NC back in August of 2005. We finished it, tidied up, cut a couple of extra tracks and mixed it back home in Athens GA at Chase Park Transduction. Most of the album was written around the time it was recorded. About half the songs were recorded within hours of being written.
Thanks to our friend Danny Clinch for inspiring the title of the album.

Produced and Recorded by David Barbe
Recorded on glorious two-inch analog recording tape.
Mixed by John Agnello
A Blessing And A Curse was mixed by David Barbe
Goodbye was mixed by David Barbe at The Fidelitorium
Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound, NYC.

Assistant Engineers - Mitch Easter, Billy Bennett, Ben Holst and Marcus Thompson
Intern - Mark Brut
Guitar Technician and Incredible Food - Tim Facok

PERSONNEL:
Management - Mike Luba at Madison House NYC and Boulder CO.
Agent USA - Frank Riley and Matt Hickey at High Road Touring, Sausalito CA.
Agent Europe - Paul Fenn at Asgard Promotions, London England.
Press and Publicity - Traci Thomas at New West Records, Los Angeles CA.
Legal - J. Reid Hunter LLP for Serling Rooks and Ferrara, NYC.
Web - Col. Jenn Bryant at Knuckle Sammitch, Athens GA.
Business Management - Tom Scott CPA and Robert Bachman CPA at TWSPC, Athens GA.
John Agnello managed by Sharon Agnello at Steel Toe Artist Management

A&R - Peter Jesperson at New West Records, Beverly Hills CA.

Road Manager and Mule Wrangler - Patrick Kerr (The Talent)
Live Sound Engineer - Matt DeFilippis (The Matador)
Lighting and Mule Maintenance - Ryan Dowd (Silky)
Stage Production and Monitor Assistance - Tim Facok
Additional Support - Brian Spett, Leslie Riddle, and Jim Wilson

Art Direction - Lilla Hood
Artwork and Paintings - Wes Freed at Willard's Garage, Richmond VA
Willards Garage maintained by Jyl Freed
Band Photography and Title - Danny Clinch

DBT would like to thank Ansley, John Ross and Lucas Spencer Cooley, Rebecca and Ava Ruth Hood, Kimberly Morgan, David, Amy, Annabelle, Winston and Henry Barbe, Patrick Kerr, Matt and Kelly DeFilippis, Tim Facok, Ryan Dowd and all of our beloved families and friends.

DBT would like to thank J. Reid Hunter, Mike Luba and Madison House, Frank Riley, Matt Hickey and all at the High Road office, Paul Fenn, the folks at Asgard and our family of support at home and abroad. We couldn't do anything without you.

DBT would like to thank Wes and Jyl Freed, Lilla Hood, Danny Clinch, The Beautiful and Historic Alabama Theatre.

DBT would like to thank Peter, Cameron, George, Traci, Steve, Kat, Mary, Claire, Jay, George Jr. and all the other incredible folks at New West Records for working so hard for the Rock and treating our music with tender loving care.

Thanks to Jenn Bryant, Dick Cooper, Jay Leavitt, Linda Phillips and Nuci's Space, The Fabulous 40 Watt Club, Centro-Matic, Don Chambers, Andrew Colvin and Shout Booking, Bug Music, BMI, Jeff Cook, House of Fame, Mitch Easter and Shalini, Barr Weismann, James P. Felter and Krissie Marty, Josh and John Moore, Jo2Go, Chuck Atall, Jojo Herman, David Schools, Widespread Panic, Trey Allen, Robert Bachman, Ryan Repetske, Kristi Reed, Mary Beth Justus, Flicker Bar, Greg Calbi, John and Sharon Agnello, Luther Dickinson, and the almighty John Neff.

DBT would like to thank you (very much).

Also from the DBT site, here's Patterson's "commentary" which I'm pretty sure is also in the CD booklet:
Our most controversial and polarizing album. I'm frequently told it's someone's favorite one of our albums. Then ten minutes later someone tells me how much they hate it. I've been through periods of both emotions at different times myself. Upon listening to it 2+ years later I still have decidedly mixed feelings.
I always loved Big Star and The Replacements and side one is sort of our attempt at making that kind of record. (With a little Faces and Blue Oyster Cult thrown in for good measure). We had an agenda and were trying to find common ground at a time when it was a little hard to come by. I can kinda see why some folks hate it and why some folks love it.
Side two is less controversial to me. Space City is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard and A World of Hurt is probably my 2nd favorite song I've written. Wednesday sounds like Adam's House Cat and I always liked that band.
It's hard to write about a cliché without sounding clichéd and the title cut pushes that to the edge. I still don't know if I like that song, but I really love the guitars. Vinyl seems to make the least difference on this one but as I said, side 2 is pretty good.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Patterson's commentary came after the fact and is only available online. At some point he went back and summarized all of their records up to a certain point. Usually, the "commentary" was also posted online and in press releases as a "song by song" synopsis. It's pretty clear that he's referring to the reception of A Blessing And A Curse after the fact here.

I have to disagree with LastLawson on "Gravity's Gone". Perhaps it would have fit on some other Truckers records but it would have stood out like a sore thumb on Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance. To my ears, it's perhaps Cooley's most outwardly sounding stab at a pop song. I'm not knocking it, I just think it's a very hooky, infectious tunes. Personally, I don't get tired of it. I think they were going for something different with this record and I believe "Gravity's Gone" is a prime example of that. "Wednesday" is another.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that for the most part, they kept A Blessing And A Curse under wraps in concert for quite some time. I think the only exception may have been "Feb. 14th" (which had it's origins as a Horsepussy song). Usually, by the time one of their new records had come out they were already performing the majority of it in concert. This wasn't the case with A Blessing And A Curse. They purposely didn't break new songs in on road with this one just because it was something they'd never tried before (at least to the best of my recollection).

I have often wondered if "When the Well Runs Dry" was left off the record as a jab at Jason since band relations weren't exactly at a high point during the recording of A Blessing And A Curse.

As for any animosity towards Mitch Easter, not than none exists but I can't say that I've ever picked up on it from either of them. No matter what one's opinion of A Blessing And A Curse is, it has to be their most talked about record, at least here (and previously on the 9 Bullets board). I also have to say I've never minded the Jason songs all that much but will say they don't easily jibe with Patterson and Cooley's contributions to the album, which lends the record a sort of disjointed-ness. As for the length of the album, I remember Patterson saying at the time that they were going for something that was vinyl length (meaning somewhere around the 40 minute mark).

brett27295 wrote:One interesting point about Isbell's contribution to this album that I didn't realize until years later is the fact that he had already written & performed many of the songs that appeared on his solo albums before they recorded A Blessing and A Curse. Songs like Crystal Clear, Brand New Kind of Actress, Grown, Hurricanes & Hand Grenades, The Magician, Whisper, Chicago Promenade, Shotgun Wedding, Try, Dress Blues, etc., had all been played during solo shows, Jason Isbell Trio shows, and even 1 or 2 were played during DBT shows.

Did he hold these songs back from A Blessing and A Curse? Were the others not interested in these songs for a DBT album? Anyone have any idea?

If I understand your question correctly, I believe the only song that may have originally been intended for a DBT's album was "Dress Blues". Like you said, they had even performed it in concert. As for the rest, I can't really say. I do know that the album had been recorded for at least a year (maybe longer) before it was ever released.

For whatever it's worth, some folks may find this interview from the Homegrown Music Network with Patterson of interest as it was conducted around the time of A Blessing And A Curse's release back in 2006.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I have often wondered if "When the Well Runs Dry" was left off the record as a jab at Jason since band relations weren't exactly at a high point during the recording of A Blessing And A Curse.

Careful. I asked this question once and it got me banned and all of my posts deleted.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Careful. I asked this question once and it got me banned and all of my posts deleted.

Used To Be A Moderator
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Post by Clams »

Patterson's obviously on a roll tonight...
(this is his second post of the night; see the Pizza Deliverance thread for his first)
8-)

Two quick things of note:
1. There was NEVER any kind of controversy with Mitch Easter. (I would hate for him to ever hear or read otherwise).
What a great and supercool guy.
He owned the studio and lived next door so he was a constant (and welcomed) presence during our sessions.
Charming and funny with great stories.
We had him add that part to Feb 14 on our last day of tracking if I remember correctly.
He wasn't a big part of the creative process, as Barbe was Producer, but we are big fans of his work, especially the early REM stuff and Let's Active.
Big Plans For Everybody was one of my fave albums that year it came out.

2. When The Well Runs Dry was on my sequence vote for the album.
I would NEVER EVER vote something off an album for a personal reason like that (although I did in the end go along with Daylight being on it to try to keep the peace).
I never liked Daylight very much, at least not as a DBT song. I don't think we were the band for that song and still don't particularly think it fits the album.
(WTWRD would have fit great in that position).
The making of that album was legendarily a lousy time, but I think we've all made peace with all of that.
Jason has just made an incredible album and I recently called him to tell him exactly how much I love it and how proud I am of all of his recent life-changes and career successes.

For the record, Dress Blues would have made a great DBT song, but it was written shortly before he left so it wasn't meant to be.
I co-produced Jason's 1st solo album, but it didn't come out until a couple of years later due to record company bullshit.
Dress Blues was a later addition to that album, but I wasn't involved in that part of the recording, as Jason was moving in other directions and we weren't exactly getting along right then.

Thanks for all your interest in our band and these albums.
They're like children to me (even the ones that drop out of school and get arrested from time to time).
Blessing and a Curse may never grow up to be a doctor, but it might hit it big in some rogue, slightly off the cuff way.
You never know.

Peace, Love and Rock,
Patterson

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

the word from the Hood.

Thanks for keeping us straight, Patterson.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Thanks, as always to Patterson for chiming in. We truly are blessed here (pun intended). I'm also glad to hear some fences have been mended in regards to Jason. I recently spoke with a friend who's heard Southeastern and they had nothing but favorable things to say about it. We're only a few months into it but I have a feeling 2013 is going to be a banner year for new releases. So far, I'd say Miracle Temple is definitely going to be Top 10 material, if not Top 5.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Thanks for letting us hear from you Patterson. Always cool to hear it straight from the source.

Glad to hear things are cool with Jason. I pretty much knew that but it's good to hear it all the same.

Again, I'm one of the few who likes Daylight and can't understand why more people don't. Oh well, everybody's different.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks again, Patterson. It is so cool that you take the time and make the effort from time to time.

Your comments about "When the Well Runs Dry" do raise the question, just how do you [the band] decide what songs get recorded, which ones make it to an album and which get left on the cutting room floor? From the distance I'm at, I would think your vote would count quite heavily, but apparently not.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard