DBT Albums - Week 1 - Pizza Deliverance

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: DBT Albums - Week 1 - Pizza Deliverance

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:I will defer to JohnA's excellent observation here: Zoloft either is or sounds a lot like a novelty or jokey song. And besides, I think you're just saying that so we'll have something to argue about ;)

Honestly, I was being sincere and not looking for an argument. I think power pop songs often take on silly themes and with repeatedly listening those themes become more weighty. In that sense I don't think Zoloft is any more "jokey" than Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend or Cheap Trick's I want You To Want Me, both of which seem rather silly on the surface but a little work reveals their depth.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:it's much easier to listen to The Dirty South or Decoration Day.

I don't understand what this means. Do you mean it's easier to listen to those records because they are better records? Do they require less "effort" for the listener? Are the lyrics less challenging? Do they resonate with a larger demographic? How are these records easier to listen to, Clams?

They just have a more accessible sound that's easier for a more casual fan to latch onto. Or conversely, you could say PD and GB have a more weirdo, fringe alt-country sound that a more casual fan won't appreciate.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. I appreciate the response, Clams.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Imagine a world where Pizza Deliverance ends after "Love Like This".

That is one hell of an album.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:Imagine a world where Pizza Deliverance ends after "Love Like This".

Umm, no.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Presumably most of us can agree that The President's Penis, Mrs. Dubose and Zoloft don't measure up.

Despite the fact the we often come from different angles on records and end up liking different aspects and different songs on them you surprise me here with Zoloft, Bean. It's really a power pop song with a country accent isn't it? I like it quite a bit and am surprised you don't.

I'm not gonna say that Zoloft is up there with Tales Facing Up or Uncle Frank, but I love it. The sense of humor (always with some truth mixed in) in early songs like Zoloft and Love Like This is yet another one of the big draws that pulled me into DBT.

As for your comment that The Presidents Penis "doesn't measure up," I think we'd need Hilary or maybe Monica Lewinsky to confirm or deny.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This place is the semi-Southern version of a Jewish neighborhood. The saying goes that if you put 3 Jews in a room you'll get at least 4 opinions. This place is just like that, we can't agree on anything. I love it, except when it gets too frustrating.

TC: I was joking about the picking an argument part. Interesting comment on power pop songs. I think I disagree but I'm not sure why (not that power pop songs are often about less than weighty topics, of course that's right - the question appears to be what's the difference between less than weighty and jokey). Will try to give it some thought. You've been warned, plus I think i've made dime's day.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:Imagine a world where Pizza Deliverance ends after "Love Like This".

Umm, no.

I'll stand by it. Zoloft and GG Allin are B-side material. Funny/good story, but average songs. The album goes out with a whimper.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Umm, no.

I'll stand by it. Zoloft and GG Allin are B-side material. Funny/good story, but average songs. The album goes out with a whimper.

Strongly disagree, especially concerning GG. I do question the sequencing... "Love Like This" is a great closing song, just look at AAW.
Not to change subjects (and fuck Clams up), but I would say the same thing about GB - I love "Sandwiches for the Road", but but I think the album should end with "Buttholeville".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Is it just me, or do all the songs from Pizza Deliverance sound better and more emotional on AAW? Especially Love Like This.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

LastLawson wrote:Is it just me, or do all the songs from Pizza Deliverance sound better and more emotional on AAW? Especially Love Like This.

I love Alabama Ass Whuppin' because it captures that moment in time so well but more often than not, I prefer the studio versions of the songs from Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance since much of the nuance is lost. "Love Like This" would be a very notable exception. Maybe not a fair comparison but it's sort of like how Whiskeytown rocked up so much of their stuff live that the tunes from Faithless Street and Strangers Alamanac were almost different songs live. I'm referring here to seeing them on Austin City Limits, which was the first time I heard what they sounded like live. "Dancing With the Women at the Bar" barely resembled the version from Strangers Almanac. I'm not saying that's a bad thing as I like the live version too, I just prefer the studio one.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty that is one heck of a good observation about these songs and I think that's exactly what they were after.

I know exactly what you are talking about. There is an underbelly in the rural South that exists right there with what's in plain site. But if you aren't a part of that world or don't know someone who is, you don't even know it's there.

I was never a part of it but always knew people who were. Good friends of mine. So many of the songs from PD remind me of situations that I know of personally. Stuff that I wish I didn't know about. Some of it is from my own family. Not immediate family but definitely extended family. I won't go into details about that but it's all there.

"Southern Gothic" (probably an overused term and kin to alt.country in that it gets misapplied a lot) is a tough thing to pull of in literature much less in song. I think the reason the Truckers are able to pull it off is because they are writing what they know first hand.

Zoloft, Bulldozers and Dirt, One Of These Days, Box Of Spiders, To Much Sex Too Little Jesus, and sadly, Margo and Harold all remind of real life situations from right around here. But there are tons of people who are surrounded by it and don't even realize it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A perfect example of why I respect Christgau so much. BTW, he's a Northern Yale man and he had this to say about Pizza Deliverance in 1999:

Rockers playing sorta-country w/ rough enthusiasm and nothing like a sound, they make their mark detailing the semivoluntary poverty DIY musicians share with the highly subsuburban constituency they imagine. These are people who'd love to have more money, shit yes, but don't know the first thing about kissing ass, people who think six packs are necessities of life and Dixie Chicks CD's aren't. So they fuck up as a life principle and then write or listen to songs about it - songs about getting loaded and screwing your sister-in-law, about shooting that lady at the laundromat who stole your sock. About fucking up just like your daddy. About GG Allin saving your life, never mind exactly how. Grade: A-

For those unfamiliar w/ Christgau-speak, subsuburban = rural.

The guy just gets it. And he apparently gets it on first listen while listening to probably dozens of records a day.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:A perfect example of why I respect Christgau so much. BTW, he's a Northern Yale man and he had this to say about Pizza Deliverance in 1999:

Rockers playing sorta-country w/ rough enthusiasm and nothing like a sound, they make their mark detailing the semivoluntary poverty DIY musicians share with the highly subsuburban constituency they imagine. These are people who'd love to have more money, shit yes, but don't know the first thing about kissing ass, people who think six packs are necessities of life and Dixie Chicks CD's aren't. So they fuck up as a life principle and then write or listen to songs about it - songs about getting loaded and screwing your sister-in-law, about shooting that lady at the laundromat who stole your sock. About fucking up just like your daddy. About GG Allin saving your life, never mind exactly how. Grade: A-

For those unfamiliar w/ Christgau-speak, subsuburban = rural.

The guy just gets it. And he apparently gets it on first listen while listening to probably dozens of records a day.

A link to that review (or maybe it was one for Gangstabilly) used to be one of the first things you saw when you visited the DBT's website years ago. The other thing you saw was that trucker dude shooting the bird.

Kudzu Guillotine

Pizza Deliverance sessions photos courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Recording in a converted bedroom of a rented house with a dog and a mic duct taped to a chair. Damn that is some rock 'n roll shit right there.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Clams

Post by Clams »

This just in from Patterson's iPad...

Pizza Deliverance 14 Years Later

Seeing all of the posts about our second album inspired me to drop a line or two about it.

Pizza Deliverance came out nearly fourteen years ago. Since then, my life has changed in ways I wouldn't or couldn't have fathomed at the time. I can barely fathom all of that now.

When PD came out, we were so focused on moving forward that I could barely see out the side windows. We were about 2/3 into writing Southern Rock Opera, two months into two years of constant touring behind PD, and I was already writing my 'Heathens Songs' that later became known as our Decoration Day album. Two weeks after it came out, we began recording our live album Alabama Ass Whuppin', which was compiled from the tapes of all of our Georgia shows that year. We knew we were doing something special (at least to us) and were doing it with all our might. It was an unbelievably fertile and exciting time. Somewhat terrifying also, although we were usually way too busy in the thick of it all to ponder all of that yet.

As I mentioned in the liner notes that I wrote for it when it was released (and referenced in the new ones I wrote when it was reissued in 2005) PD captured a time in the band that we had already moved on from. (To put in perspective, I wrote Let There Be Rock, Wallace and Angels and Fuselage on September 13, 1998, a few months before we recorded PD). John Neff had already left the band and we were quickly moving away from the more country influenced roots of our early days. Still,I felt like what we had done was very valid and I wanted to capture it before it was too late.

Another problem facing the band at that time was a lack of funds to make another record. We sold out our initial pressing of Gangstabilly really fast and didn't have the money to order more, much less record the followup. This taught me a lesson about the complexities of record distribution that haunted and influenced us for years to come.
(In a nutshell, you send the distributor most of the 2,000 copies you press up, they sell them in 2 weeks, but don't have to pay you for them until after the first 90 days, which actually means you really only see a little bit of the money, months later, by which time the record is old news and the next bunch you send them mostly live in a warehouse somewhere. Brutal for a band living hand to mouth and sleeping on floors). We weren't big enough to get an advance, but couldn't keep up with the demand for what we were doing.

As I said in liner notes, Earl Hicks and David Schools came to our rescue. We also benefitted from help from Andy Baker, Andy LeMaster and David Barbe who owned the Chase Park Transduction studio. Earl and I lived in a big haunted white house out Jefferson Road on the outskirts of Athens and our living room was big with very high ceilings and a really cool sound. Earl was really into field recordings, live recordings and DIY aspects, all of which suited our sound to a tee. We had many long conversations about the concept of an album being a document of a moment in time, a concept I've kind of moved away from in later years, but still find very valid, especially in regards to where we were at that time in our lives and history.

We spent all day saturday (in late January, 1999) setting up in the living room which also opened up into the dining room. We had some amps in the kitchen and front bedroom for extra isolation, although most things were left to bleed into each other, which accounts for the rambunctiousness of the sonics. We started recording around dark and worked late into the night. I'm a little foggy on what songs we cut which night, but am pretty sure Uncle Frank, One Of These Days, Too Much Sex, Box of Spiders and Tales Facing Up were among the first night's work. I remember vividly that the first night ended with us recording Mrs. Dubose (during which my two dogs, Porter and Loretta got into a fight over which one would eat the vomit that one deposited on the dining room floor and is caught on the take) and Love Like This. We recorded them in the reverse order of how they appear on the album. I know that my then-wife Donna Jane had to work a double at The Grit the next day and sometime around 3AM, she threw her cowboy boots at the door signifying the end of our recording session. (I think we had just ended our take of LLT).

On the sunday, we invited some friends over to hang out while we cut some of the more raucous songs "live" in the living room. The Company I Keep, Nine Bullets and The President's Penis is Missing all came from this session. I know that Jenn Bryant was there, Donna Jane came home during a break from work but was still pretty pissed about how late we had kept her up. She had OK'd us doing it, but I think was unprepared for the reality of what making a record at our house really entailed. Nonetheless, the afternoon session was a lot of fun and productive.

A side note, the biggest controversy about Pizza Deliverance, then and still all these years later involves us putting President's Penis on the album. Hindsight is 20/20 (or perhaps 50/50) so I have always kind of regretted it making the album. Perhaps it should have been pressed into a single (or forgotten by that point all together). One must remember that at that time, our international fan base was about 2,000 people, more or less what we can play for in one night in our better towns now, so I kind of looked at things in a different light. We all liked the take, as it was sloppy and fun and reminded us of The Replacements, who we all loved. The song is kind of silly but I still stand by its sentiment. It was written during the thick of the Clinton impeachment thing and made fun of how hypocritical congress and the media were about it all. It felt good so we did it, which was pretty much our operating strategy at that time in our existence.

Unfortunately, when the album came out, hating that song got more attention than anything else on the album. The very first review (in Flagpole, by a guy who had loved Gangstabilly) was basically an essay on how shitty that song was. When we licensed the album to a small UK label, we left it off and I guess should have left it off of future US pressings also, but we didn't. I still like that is says "Ole'" in the chorus for some reason, but I'm weird, so there...

The take of Margo and Harold was a leftover from the very first day of the band. We had recorded 5 songs at Andy Baker's house on June 10, 1996. Two of those songs were the original version of Nine Bullets and Bulldozers and Dirt that we pressed up as our debut single in 1997. The take of Margo and Harold was either a first or second take, (I think first) and was the high watermark for the day and to this day one of the most magical takes I've ever been a part of. I was always proud of that song and the way the band played it that day was beyond magical.

Likewise, the take of Zoloft came from a previous session. We had recorded an original take of that song that first day also, but the version on the album came from a live recording Earl had made of us at The High Hat Music Club in the summer of 1998. I believe it was actually recorded on a sunday when the club was closed. We had basically demoed most of what became PD that afternoon, but that was a particularly spirited take and we included it on the album. I caught a lot flack for that song at the time. I had several friends that thought I had written it about them and was making fun of them. Actually, the song was not about that at all. It didn't in any way reflect my viewpoint about anti-depressants, then or now. It was written about someone else's viewpoint and was more of character study than indictment. I did a lot of that in my writing at the time (and still do from time to time) and it still gets me in trouble sometimes. If I ever get to meet Randy Newman, perhaps we can have a discussion about that kind of thing.

The last few days of the session get pretty foggy. I was drinking very heavily then, as were all of us. I know we spent all of monday night fighting about something that none of us could remember the next day. We spent most of an evening getting a take of Bulldozers and Dirt that felt right. (I think it was worth it on that one). Seems like The Night G.G. Allin Came To Town might have been the last song we tracked. That still is one of my favorite things on the album. I sometimes refer to it as my love song to Cooley, which I guess it is. I know that we spent the last day or two trying to do overdubs, which was a technical nightmare due to the logistics of recording at home. Some of what we tried to do eventually worked, some didn't but it was all we had to work with as time and money was running out.

During one of those afternoons, Cooley and I had lunch with David Schools. He had heard through the grapevine of our financial mess and offered to help. He actually brought his checkbook with him to The Grit and wrote us a check that enabled us to book studio time to mix the album and hire Rodney Mills to master it. It was an act of kindness that inspires me to try to help up and coming bands to this day. It was years later before we were able to repay him the loan (and when we did, he donated it to Nuci's Space. What a great guy!)

We completed our recordings and tore it all down. I'm sure we all had to work the rest of the week at our respective day jobs. Matt Lane, who was our drummer then, was running back and forth between our sessions and an album his band The Possibilities were then recording with Jack Logan. A few weeks later he was out of the band due to the relentless touring schedule we had planned for the spring (and the rest of the year). Brad Morgan was already waiting in the wings, as he had played quite a few shows with us whenever scheduling conflicts prevented Matt from playing. Matt is a great guy and terrific drummer and we're still friends all these years later.

One of those later nights of recording, John Neff, who was already out of the band, but friends and a big part of those songs, came over to play his parts on about half the album. He received co-writing credit on the songs he played on, as that's the way we've always rolled. His playing on the album is typically excellent, as his playing has always been. Even though he was no longer part of the touring band, we still considered him a big part of what we were doing.

A few weeks later, we mixed the album. Andy LeMaster ended up doing the mixes and he did a great job with what Earl had recorded. We released it in May of 1999 and toured extensively for two years straight behind it, recording the live followup Alabama Ass Whuppin' along the way.

The initial reviews painted it as the lesser followup to Gangstabilly, but in time it was (correctly) regarded as the better album. Around Christmas of 1999, Eric Weisbard wrote a glowing review of a show of ours in The Village Voice, leading to Robert Christgau giving it an A- a couple of weeks later (an A- from Christgau is a really big deal and it began a string of great press that this band has enjoyed to this day). Ann Powers put it in her Top Ten list in The New York Times around that time also, and has been a great supporter of ours ever since.

For most people, DBT began around 2 1/2 years later when we released Southern Rock Opera and our fan base expanded exponentially. Pizza Deliverance and Gangstabilly spent several years out of print and was considered a footnote by many, but it's always been one of the things I'm proudest of. Alabama Ass Whuppin' has been out of print for several years now, but we're about to correct that (release date TBA soon).

By the time PD came out, we were nearly finished writing Southern Rock Opera and I had already begun writing what I referred to as The Heathens Songs, which later became the albums Decoration Day and Killers and Stars (my first solo record). I always kind of considered Decoration Day as the true followup to Pizza Deliverance. A much more mature (and sonically pleasing) album, but still somehow kin. (It could be argued that PD, DD and Brighter Than Creation's Dark make up a kind of trilogy even and are related in a way similar to how I always think of SRO and The Dirty South sort of being kissing cousins, but I'll leave that for a later post).

Anyway, thanks for indulging me this ride down memory lane. I've been writing a lot lately; songs for the next DBT album, some non-fiction,some essays, etc. Anything to keep that muscle activated and engaged. Someday I plan on writing my big adventure book about our nights and days on the road and recording. It really has been an adventure and still is. I don't spend a lot of time looking back, but it's good from time to time to check in on the back catalog and see what's holding up and what's not. I'm fiercely proud of the 150 or so songs we've thrown out into the world (and our nearly 2,000 shows). As I said, Alabama Ass Whuppin' will be coming out again soon and we will be recording a new album by year's end. As always, Thanks for your support.

See You at The Rock Show,
Patterson Hood
(Athens GA. - Kitchen table, April 15, 2013)
If you don't run you rust

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Clams wrote:This just in from Patterson's iPad...

Pizza Deliverance 14 Years Later

Seeing all of the posts about our second album inspired me to drop a line or two about it.

Pizza Deliverance came out nearly fourteen years ago. Since then, my life has changed in ways I wouldn't or couldn't have fathomed at the time. I can barely fathom all of that now.

When PD came out, we were so focused on moving forward that I could barely see out the side windows. We were about 2/3 into writing Southern Rock Opera, two months into two years of constant touring behind PD, and I was already writing my 'Heathens Songs' that later became known as our Decoration Day album. Two weeks after it came out, we began recording our live album Alabama Ass Whuppin', which was compiled from the tapes of all of our Georgia shows that year. We knew we were doing something special (at least to us) and were doing it with all our might. It was an unbelievably fertile and exciting time. Somewhat terrifying also, although we were usually way too busy in the thick of it all to ponder all of that yet.

As I mentioned in the liner notes that I wrote for it when it was released (and referenced in the new ones I wrote when it was reissued in 2005) PD captured a time in the band that we had already moved on from. (To put in perspective, I wrote Let There Be Rock, Wallace and Angels and Fuselage on September 13, 1998, a few months before we recorded PD). John Neff had already left the band and we were quickly moving away from the more country influenced roots of our early days. Still,I felt like what we had done was very valid and I wanted to capture it before it was too late.

Another problem facing the band at that time was a lack of funds to make another record. We sold out our initial pressing of Gangstabilly really fast and didn't have the money to order more, much less record the followup. This taught me a lesson about the complexities of record distribution that haunted and influenced us for years to come.
(In a nutshell, you send the distributor most of the 2,000 copies you press up, they sell them in 2 weeks, but don't have to pay you for them until after the first 90 days, which actually means you really only see a little bit of the money, months later, by which time the record is old news and the next bunch you send them mostly live in a warehouse somewhere. Brutal for a band living hand to mouth and sleeping on floors). We weren't big enough to get an advance, but couldn't keep up with the demand for what we were doing.

As I said in liner notes, Earl Hicks and David Schools came to our rescue. We also benefitted from help from Andy Baker, Andy LeMaster and David Barbe who owned the Chase Park Transduction studio. Earl and I lived in a big haunted white house out Jefferson Road on the outskirts of Athens and our living room was big with very high ceilings and a really cool sound. Earl was really into field recordings, live recordings and DIY aspects, all of which suited our sound to a tee. We had many long conversations about the concept of an album being a document of a moment in time, a concept I've kind of moved away from in later years, but still find very valid, especially in regards to where we were at that time in our lives and history.

We spent all day saturday (in late January, 1999) setting up in the living room which also opened up into the dining room. We had some amps in the kitchen and front bedroom for extra isolation, although most things were left to bleed into each other, which accounts for the rambunctiousness of the sonics. We started recording around dark and worked late into the night. I'm a little foggy on what songs we cut which night, but am pretty sure Uncle Frank, One Of These Days, Too Much Sex, Box of Spiders and Tales Facing Up were among the first night's work. I remember vividly that the first night ended with us recording Mrs. Dubose (during which my two dogs, Porter and Loretta got into a fight over which one would eat the vomit that one deposited on the dining room floor and is caught on the take) and Love Like This. We recorded them in the reverse order of how they appear on the album. I know that my then-wife Donna Jane had to work a double at The Grit the next day and sometime around 3AM, she threw her cowboy boots at the door signifying the end of our recording session. (I think we had just ended our take of LLT).

On the sunday, we invited some friends over to hang out while we cut some of the more raucous songs "live" in the living room. The Company I Keep, Nine Bullets and The President's Penis is Missing all came from this session. I know that Jenn Bryant was there, Donna Jane came home during a break from work but was still pretty pissed about how late we had kept her up. She had OK'd us doing it, but I think was unprepared for the reality of what making a record at our house really entailed. Nonetheless, the afternoon session was a lot of fun and productive.

A side note, the biggest controversy about Pizza Deliverance, then and still all these years later involves us putting President's Penis on the album. Hindsight is 20/20 (or perhaps 50/50) so I have always kind of regretted it making the album. Perhaps it should have been pressed into a single (or forgotten by that point all together). One must remember that at that time, our international fan base was about 2,000 people, more or less what we can play for in one night in our better towns now, so I kind of looked at things in a different light. We all liked the take, as it was sloppy and fun and reminded us of The Replacements, who we all loved. The song is kind of silly but I still stand by its sentiment. It was written during the thick of the Clinton impeachment thing and made fun of how hypocritical congress and the media were about it all. It felt good so we did it, which was pretty much our operating strategy at that time in our existence.

Unfortunately, when the album came out, hating that song got more attention than anything else on the album. The very first review (in Flagpole, by a guy who had loved Gangstabilly) was basically an essay on how shitty that song was. When we licensed the album to a small UK label, we left it off and I guess should have left it off of future US pressings also, but we didn't. I still like that is says "Ole'" in the chorus for some reason, but I'm weird, so there...

The take of Margo and Harold was a leftover from the very first day of the band. We had recorded 5 songs at Andy Baker's house on June 10, 1996. Two of those songs were the original version of Nine Bullets and Bulldozers and Dirt that we pressed up as our debut single in 1997. The take of Margo and Harold was either a first or second take, (I think first) and was the high watermark for the day and to this day one of the most magical takes I've ever been a part of. I was always proud of that song and the way the band played it that day was beyond magical.

Likewise, the take of Zoloft came from a previous session. We had recorded an original take of that song that first day also, but the version on the album came from a live recording Earl had made of us at The High Hat Music Club in the summer of 1998. I believe it was actually recorded on a sunday when the club was closed. We had basically demoed most of what became PD that afternoon, but that was a particularly spirited take and we included it on the album. I caught a lot flack for that song at the time. I had several friends that thought I had written it about them and was making fun of them. Actually, the song was not about that at all. It didn't in any way reflect my viewpoint about anti-depressants, then or now. It was written about someone else's viewpoint and was more of character study than indictment. I did a lot of that in my writing at the time (and still do from time to time) and it still gets me in trouble sometimes. If I ever get to meet Randy Newman, perhaps we can have a discussion about that kind of thing.

PIZZA DELIVERANCE - 14 Years Later

The last few days of the session get pretty foggy. I was drinking very heavily then, as were all of us. I know we spent all of monday night fighting about something that none of us could remember the next day. We spent most of an evening getting a take of Bulldozers and Dirt that felt right. (I think it was worth it on that one). Seems like The Night G.G. Allin Came To Town might have been the last song we tracked. That still is one of my favorite things on the album. I sometimes refer to it as my love song to Cooley, which I guess it is. I know that we spent the last day or two trying to do overdubs, which was a technical nightmare due to the logistics of recording at home. Some of what we tried to do eventually worked, some didn't but it was all we had to work with as time and money was running out.

During one of those afternoons, Cooley and I had lunch with David Schools. He had heard through the grapevine of our financial mess and offered to help. He actually brought his checkbook with him to The Grit and wrote us a check that enabled us to book studio time to mix the album and hire Rodney Mills to master it. It was an act of kindness that inspires me to try to help up and coming bands to this day. It was years later before we were able to repay him the loan (and when we did, he donated it to Nuci's Space. What a great guy!)

We completed our recordings and tore it all down. I'm sure we all had to work the rest of the week at our respective day jobs. Matt Lane, who was our drummer then, was running back and forth between our sessions and an album his band The Possibilities were then recording with Jack Logan. A few weeks later he was out of the band due to the relentless touring schedule we had planned for the spring (and the rest of the year). Brad Morgan was already waiting in the wings, as he had played quite a few shows with us whenever scheduling conflicts prevented Matt from playing. Matt is a great guy and terrific drummer and we're still friends all these years later.

One of those later nights of recording, John Neff, who was already out of the band, but friends and a big part of those songs, came over to play his parts on about half the album. He received co-writing credit on the songs he played on, as that's the way we've always rolled. His playing on the album is typically excellent, as his playing has always been. Even though he was no longer part of the touring band, we still considered him a big part of what we were doing.

A few weeks later, we mixed the album. Andy LeMaster ended up doing the mixes and he did a great job with what Earl had recorded. We released it in May of 1999 and toured extensively for two years straight behind it, recording the live followup Alabama Ass Whuppin' along the way.

The initial reviews painted it as the lesser followup to Gangstabilly, but in time it was (correctly) regarded as the better album. Around Christmas of 1999, Eric Weisbard wrote a glowing review of a show of ours in The Village Voice, leading to Robert Christgau giving it an A- a couple of weeks later (an A- from Christgau is a really big deal and it began a string of great press that this band has enjoyed to this day). Ann Powers put it in her Top Ten list in The New York Times around that time also, and has been a great supporter of ours ever since.

For most people, DBT began around 2 1/2 years later when we released Southern Rock Opera and our fan base expanded exponentially. Pizza Deliverance and Gangstabilly spent several years out of print and was considered a footnote by many, but it's always been one of the things I'm proudest of. Alabama Ass Whuppin' has been out of print for several years now, but we're about to correct that (release date TBA soon).

By the time PD came out, we were nearly finished writing Southern Rock Opera and I had already begun writing what I referred to as The Heathens Songs, which later became the albums Decoration Day and Killers and Stars (my first solo record). I always kind of considered Decoration Day as the true followup to Pizza Deliverance. A much more mature (and sonically pleasing) album, but still somehow kin. (It could be argued that PD, DD and Brighter Than Creation's Dark make up a kind of trilogy even and are related in a way similar to how I always think of SRO and The Dirty South sort of being kissing cousins, but I'll leave that for a later post).

Anyway, thanks for indulging me this ride down memory lane. I've been writing a lot lately; songs for the next DBT album, some non-fiction,some essays, etc. Anything to keep that muscle activated and engaged. Someday I plan on writing my big adventure book about our nights and days on the road and recording. It really has been an adventure and still is. I don't spend a lot of time looking back, but it's good from time to time to check in on the back catalog and see what's holding up and what's not. I'm fiercely proud of the 150 or so songs we've thrown out into the world (and our nearly 2,000 shows). As I said, Alabama Ass Whuppin' will be coming out again soon and we will be recording a new album by year's end. As always, Thanks for your support.

See You at The Rock Show,
Patterson Hood
(Athens GA. - Kitchen table, April 15, 2013)

Fuckin' a.

Reason #8,345,908 that these guys are the best band on the planet.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Patterson is so fuckin cool. What a great read and love me some Pizza Deliverance!!!!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

It's Clams' fault...
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I guess Patterson REALLY didn't want to do his taxes :)

I always appreciate it when Patterson takes the time to do this kind of thing and as always there's a lot to digest when he does. Great stuff, even if pretty much every song he identified as a favorite of his is on my "the not great half" list :lol: :oops:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Patterson Hood wrote:
Someday I plan on writing my big adventure book about our nights and days on the road and recording.

I hope there will be many more rock shows and albums before this happens, but it's good to know we've got this to look forward to as well.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I always enjoy reading and hearing Patterson's thoughts about his and the band's work and the stories of the writing and recording process. I've said it in this thread already but I am really looking forward to a Patterson Hood book detailing the long & storied history of DBT. Hopefully it actually happens someday!And I don't want an edited down version, I want a rambling 900+ pages of stories lol.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Interesting story about recording in the living room. Every musician has done that at some point but few come up with an album as great as Pizza Deliverance.

The irony is that PD kept me from listening to DBT for a while because I mistakenly thought from the title and cover art that they were a band satirizing or making fun of the south. I remember the first time I saw it in a cd shop I thought to myself, "Just what we need, a band from Athens making Deliverance jokes for the college kids." I might be from NJ but all of my friends know that one way to get my blood boiling is to joke about or insinuate that people from the south are ingnorant, racists, etc... I love the south and my experience is that people from North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia are the friendliest people in America. (Those of you from Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, West Virginia and Kentucky are friendly too, but y'all have that Hatfield and McCoy thing going on that gives you a bit of an edge.) There are dumbasses everywhere. We have our own version of it in NJ. Just watch the show Jersey Shore. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be until 2009 that my best friend set me straight and said, "No, The Truckers are the exact opposite of what you think they are. You will love this band." That was an understatement.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

maremare

Post by maremare »

Thank you Patterson.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cool.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Did yall catch how patterson laid to rest the stuff from Neff about "patterson will never admit my part in those albums"? Done in a very polite, just the facts, way I might add.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Cole Younger wrote:Did yall catch how patterson laid to rest the stuff from Neff about "patterson will never admit my part in those albums"? Done in a very polite, just the facts, way I might add.

Yes, done very well. I find it funny that in TSTAHE, PH says that he can't do anything else besides music. He could have been very good in public relations :P
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Clams for directing me back to this thread. And it's always appreciated when Patterson jumps in here and elaborates on thangs.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

I hate being so late to the party, but I've been away from the board for a while. I come back to find a great discussion of an album that's always been one of my favorites, and which I happen to have been listening to a lot lately.

I've posted on here before that I first started hearing about DBT on the Postcards From Hell listserv in about 1998, but didn't get around to checking them out until after PD came out, for much the same reason as RevMatt mentioned. I finally picked up a copy at the used book and cd shop where my sister worked, figuring with her discount, what could it hurt if the album sucked? I'm not sure how to describe my initial reaction, but it wasn't positive. Luckily, I gave it a few listens, and it was the Once a country boy has seen the way steam rises off a man's insides on the sidewalk line that finally reeled me in, hook, line, and sinker. After that, I really started to listen to the rest of the songs, and fell in love with the album.

I know I shouldn't be, but as I was reading earlier posts, I was surprised to see how different people's reactions are to the individual songs; for me, the run of "Box of Spiders" > "One Of These Days" > "Margo and Harold" is just amazing. Whenever I listen to the album, I find myself playing that run several times before I can continue on to "The Company I Keep". The mood, the stories, everything about the songs, affects me in a way I can't describe. I think part of it goes back to Smitty's comments about the album being such a perfect distillation of the Southern Gothic genre, and in a way that seems completely earnest, especially when compared to other bands who tried much harder and never came close. I'm sure it also helps that even if I can't necessarily identify with the characters and stories in many of the songs, I can identify relatives and friends of mine who made questionable decisions throughout their lives, and often ended up in similar situations as the characters in the songs.

A shout out to Rob Malone is also in order, as his guitar playing on "One Of These Days" is incendiary ;) (not being sarcastic, just a hat tip to Almost Famous). And while it definitely doesn't sound like the rest of the DBT catalog, I think "Mrs. Dubose" actually fits the mood of the record really well.

One final comment/question: I vaguely remember Brandon Parkhurst (a good friend of Patterson's, though I'm not sure if he had any professional relationship with the band) stating that there was a recording of "Don't Be In Love Around Me" from the High Hat session that was originally going to be on PD, but was left off for "The President's Penis Is Missing." Can anybody verify that?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

ding.