Favorite Moment From A DBT Show

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

blessedcurse

Re: Favorite Moment From A DBT Show

Post by blessedcurse »

CooleyGirl wrote:The Waterloo show in Canada a few summers ago was unreal. Crazy set list, and we got 3 songs that night we hadn't heard up until that night. It's always fun wondering if we'll get a song that we've been chasing, but to get 3 in one night was nuts.

Yep...that one was pretty magic...my only show ever on the rail (though I have been close before and since) To spend the pre-game with Luke and yourself (and Apriltwister and gretsch) made the whole night just that much more special for me. The stage was more like a step up into a living room. I could have reached out and changed Patterson's chord from minor to major.

I remember when Patterson finished Too Much Sex - wearing a shit eating grin, he says something like: "how about that one motherfuckers".
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

Leap day 2008, St.Louis.

Loooooooong version of the 18 Wheels story.

People Who Died closer starting off with Patterson screaming "Stage call, Felice Brothers! Stage call, Felice Brothers!" and then the whole fucking place went out of control insane.
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Thought about this for awhile, I've only seen DBT 9 times but my favorite moment has to be my first People Who Died at the 40 Watt on 1/14/12. Always loved that song when I've listened to recordings, but didn't realize how special it is live. A close second would be the same song from the 40 Watt this past January on Night 2 but for entirely different reasons.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Lot's of great moments, some of which have already been pointed out. As TC mentioned, the "Late For Church" at the 40 Watt homecoming a few years back was unbelievable. Pretty much felt like a once in a lifetime thing at that point.

Personal favorite though was Columbus, OH in May 2008. At the end of the show, Shonna had the mics turned back on and wished me happy birthday. I'm assuming RevTodd has passed word to her, because although I've had a couple of quick casual chats with her, I certainly don't know her. But it was still pretty damn cool.

Hanging out at some random dude's apartment earlier that day behind the Newport with the Dexateens was pretty fucking cool too.

Damn, I had a lot of fun from making road trips to see DBT.

*Edit: May have been the first time I met Zip City too.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:6/20/2011. Brooklyn Bowl. Last minute. Scheduled 4 days before. Sold out. Open with the Southern Thing (second time being played in 2 1/2 years. A fucking barn burner show. Got the mic and bottle during People Who Died. Commotion on the floor. Damon diving off the stage, dragging some guy out. Patterson ripping open his shirt at the end. Total mayhem

^^^^^^^ That was pretty damn good

Patterson getting down on his knees about six inches from my 11 year old son's face for his guitar solo during Hell No was pretty good too. That was in February 2011 in York, PA.

The Living Bubba opener at the 40 Watt the night Craig passed away was pretty special.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

sg207 wrote:Lot's of great moments, some of which have already been pointed out. As TC mentioned, the "Late For Church" at the 40 Watt homecoming a few years back was unbelievable. Pretty much felt like a once in a lifetime thing at that point.

Personal favorite though was Columbus, OH in May 2008. At the end of the show, Shonna had the mics turned back on and wished me happy birthday. I'm assuming RevTodd has passed word to her, because although I've had a couple of quick casual chats with her, I certainly don't know her. But it was still pretty damn cool.

Hanging out at some random dude's apartment earlier that day behind the Newport with the Dexateens was pretty fucking cool too.

I was definitely at that show, but don't remember the birthday shout out. Definitely remember them opening with Plastic Flowers, though, after just seeing them do it at Southgate House.

I think the first time we met was at the Isbell show at The Basement?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Zip City wrote:
sg207 wrote:Lot's of great moments, some of which have already been pointed out. As TC mentioned, the "Late For Church" at the 40 Watt homecoming a few years back was unbelievable. Pretty much felt like a once in a lifetime thing at that point.

I was definitely at that show, but don't remember the birthday shout out. Definitely remember them opening with Plastic Flowers, though, after just seeing them do it at Southgate House.

I think the first time we met was at the Isbell show at The Basement?

The crowd was starting to dissipate by the time she did it, I damn near missed it myself, but she was waving and caught my attention.

Was that Isbell show before? Could have been. I remember that show, don't particularly remember when it was though.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Jonicont wrote:6/20/2011.Patterson ripping open his shirt at the end. Total mayhem

Roger Daltrey approves, bless his heart.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Totally found this video from my first DBT show..

http://vimeo.com/10935852

Talk about Nostalgia

Puttin' People on the Moon
Marry Me
Sink Hole
Feb 14
Dress Blues
(Jason Isbell song)
Do It Yourself
The Day John Henry Died
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Gravity's Gone
Louisiana 1927
(Randy Newman cover)
The Living Bubba
Let There Be Rock
Buttholeville

straightshot

Post by straightshot »

My first Rock Show on 10/10 at the Tabernacle was loaded with favorite moments. Besides it being my first show, we were able to get front row. It was my twin sons' first concert ever and Patterson hooked them up with guitar picks. Holy shit! I had my phone at the ready getting set to record Cooley's next song when Patterson came right at us. I wigged out and fumbled my phone, so I got a nice recording of the people's legs surrounding us. I think my rationale was: "fuck it, I'd rather have a an undistracted memory of him handing them the picks instead of a recording of it." My boy's arms weren't long enough, so I had to reach out to get the picks from Patterson. He touched my hand!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Great stuff straight
Always go to the show

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

40 Watt Homecoming Show night one the year Go Go Boots was released and the band did the album in its entirety. My girlfriend and I had been dating a couple months at that point and when the band got around to Mercy Buckets Patterson said something to the effect of this was their prom or homecoming dance song. We danced together in the middle of the crowded sould out 40 Watt and everyone else in the room but us disappeared, that was 02/13/2011. Two years and ten days later we danced to that same song at our wedding.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

6/20/2011. Brooklyn Bowl. Last minute. Scheduled 4 days before. Sold out. Open with the Southern Thing (second time being played in 2 1/2 years. A fucking barn burner show. Got the mic and bottle during People Who Died. Commotion on the floor. Damon diving off the stage, dragging some guy out. Patterson ripping open his shirt at the end. Total mayhem

That was on my birthday and it was outrageous. Also from 2011, A World of Hurt from the Wellmont Theatre could be the finest musical performance I've ever seen.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Cactus Ken

Post by Cactus Ken »

Well, so far I've only been to 3 DBT shows. But I'd have to say my first one when everybody just poured welcomeness and kindness and they were from all walks of life and the warmest bunch of rowdy rockers! So my first DBT show is memorable in that sense but the whole three day run at the fillmore rocked my socks off!
I'm bout to prob change this stance as I'm bout to go to HH for the first time and get my next set of three DBT shows! Rock-N-Roll!
Ready to make some new Rock-N-Roll Memories!Can't wait!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Every show has been a great time and all have had their moments but The Dirt Underneath show sticks out the most. Cooley was in prime form this night. He had a rant at some point in the show about computers and the Internet that was fucking hilarious. Here's a clip that I believe Mrs. Swamp took from the SF show at the Great American.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

bovine knievel wrote:Every show has been a great time and all have had their moments but The Dirt Underneath show sticks out the most. Cooley was in prime form this night. He had a rant at some point in the show about computers and the Internet that was fucking hilarious. Here's a clip that I believe Mrs. Swamp took from the SF show at the Great American.

Those were some great nights.

That was our first homecoming and such a special weekend. It's hard to pick a favorite moment.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Patterson & Jason singing "In the Midnight Hour"
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

https://archive.org/details/dbt2010-04-09.skm140.flac16

Encore at the Vic in Chicago. The band is ripping through Zip City when the final verse comes up and Cooley goes "Ya'll wanna sing? I got - " and the entire audience kicks in with "350 heads on a 305 engine, I get ten miles to the gallon I ain't got no good intentions!!!!"

Maybe it was because it was my first DBT show, but that moment blew me away.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Another moment that sticks out is Allison Moorer joining them for Wings' "Let Me Roll It" at Headliners on 9/9/04 in Louisville.

roland

Post by roland »

1. On the rail in Atlanta at the Tabernacle and getting "A Ghost To Most" with my back still a little raw from the memorial tat to my Mom which includes the "Mama said a lot of things..." verse. My whole body tingled.

2. Finally getting "Panties in Your Purse" after 16 shows, acoustic, at the Swamp/Rock show at the Orange Peel 7/13/07

3. Catching Cooley's eye right after the show the next time they were in Asheville to get him to sign my DVD case of "Stroker Ace"

4. The show at the 40 Watt the night after Craig passed. Short, emotional, cathartic set that was all it could have been. You could look around the crowd that night and see exactly who was affected and who just came out for a show. I only knew Craig from short encounters in smoking areas and merch transactions, but I lost it twice that night.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

There are so many but one that comes to mind is March 15, 2012 at the House of Blues in Hollywood. I got to meet ScottyC and LBRod and had a great time with them. But what made it a favorite moment was when Booker T came out on the encore and they did Green Onions. Truly a special moment for me.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Wow I think all the shows we have been have been to have been corkers but my own personal favorite is a night at Homecoming a couple of years ago.

Some lovely friends told Patterson at the Nuci auction that Ollie loves Used to be a cop and could he drop it in for him. He did more than that!!

That night He looked for Ols from the stage and spoke directly to him. Asked him if the shows were worth the airfare from the UK and He dedicated it to him. Then saluted him at the end..He will cherish those moments forever.

The wonderful Mrs Swamp captured it all on camera and I know Ollie watches it regularly still .
:D
It's Great To Be Alive........

Flea

Post by Flea »

Favorite moment from a DBT show: the one I'm experiencing at the time.
Now it's dark.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

lajakesdad wrote:There are so many but one that comes to mind is March 15, 2012 at the House of Blues in Hollywood. I got to meet ScottyC and LBRod and had a great time with them. But what made it a favorite moment was when Booker T came out on the encore and they did Green Onions. Truly a special moment for me.

This and so much this. I wasn't able to catch any of the shows with Booker and there were rumors that he was there and when it happened I lost my goods. A very fun night.

Also the last weekend with Jason where the shows were just intense. Including taking my mom to her first show and PH told the story about his first BJ, a twee bit awkward with moms standing next to me.

My favorite feeling is walking into the 40 watt and seeing everyone. Taking our space we have had forever and just waiting for the lights to drop and knowing that my hands won't be empty all night because there is always someone buying drinks and looking out for the group.