Favorite Moment From A DBT Show

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BiloxiParish

Favorite Moment From A DBT Show

Post by BiloxiParish »

What is your favorite moment from a DBT Show..

Forgive me if the question has been asked before.

Mine personally was when I first heard them ever, for the very first time. I stumbled upon their set at Voodoo Festival in New Orleans in 2006.. They were playing Let There Be Rock, and I instantly connected to that song for some crazy reason, because it reminded me of growing up in South MS...

I only caught part of their set, and had no clue who they were, but I became a huge fan after that
Last edited by BiloxiParish on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyler
Site Admin

Re: Favorite Moment From A DBT Show

Post by Tyler »

Oy, tough one.

Just one?

Can't do it...

Here are a few in no particular order

NYE 2011 - Green Onions at midnight w/ Booker T

Asheville 2011 - First time they played Buford Stick in about 7 years

Chapel Hill 4/19/12 - The day Levon died. Encore opened with The Weight. Patterson (quite unexpectedly) let me sing a line in LTBR too.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

The Wallace they performed on TDU tour in Boulder.

Couldn't even tell you why, but I have literally been chasing that feeling I got during that performance ever since.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

This is just one that comes to mind. 2012-10-20, Busters - Lexington, KY when they broke in to The Three Great Alabama Icons. They hadn't played it since 01-15-2009 at the 40 Watt. Everyone went nuts including the Mattador. That's another thing that sets DBT apart from other bands, even the crew gets into the music and gets excited. Especially Matt D. and Cole.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Well there are hundreds, but there's one that someone mentioned around here recently that stands out and that was at the 40 Watt 1/15/2009. My first Homecoming and the night of the request show with a show made up from requests from Jimmy C. and Cotter as part of the Nuci's fundraiser. The whole show was memorable but the Late For Church with Adam Howell was outstanding. Hair standing up on the back of your neck good.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

That was a very special night.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Great thread.

So many great moments. Some that are because of the band's performance, or a specific song they played, others are because of incredible times shared with friends. Probably the most special was my second show, June 15, 2008 (thank you, oneofthesedays.org, as I don't have that memorized) at the Mishawaka Amphitheater just up the canyon from Fort Collins. I had seen them once in 2005, which was in the middle of vet school for me, a time when it was hard for anything other than studying to get my attention. They got incredibly wasted, broke into the second handle of Jack, and sounded fairly awful by the end. I was, however, intrigued.

By 2008 I had graduated, started my first job, and had vowed to see more live music now that the rigors of academia were behind me. I didn't know most of the songs, but had listened quite a bit to both TDS and BTCD, which they were touring on at the time. I'll never forget when Cooley struck up Zip City, and got to the part about tying the chain to the front of his car to pull him out of the ditch he had slid into. That actually happened to my high school boyfriend and me. I probably imagined it, but it felt like Cooley and I made eye contact, and it was like, yeah, these guys know me. I walked out that night hooked, and haven't looked back.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

When they broke out "In the Midnight Hour" at Tipitina's in August of '04. My memories are extremely hazy, but I do recall it being life changingly great (atleast as much as a barely remembered, drunken & drugged dimlit memory can be).
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Halloween 2004 at The Metro. "I'm Eighteen" I had caught DBT before on the Decoration Day album and loved it, however I had just started to become obsessively into this band. The Metro was sold out and packed to the gills. I knew it was a long and epic show when the crowd had bought the venue out of whiskey. Due to the heat and the venue being packed to capacity this show was a sweaty act of endurance. Just when I thought that DBT didn't have anymore they kicked into this Alice Cooper tune. That was the 29th tune of the evening. They proceeded to play another 4 tunes. I was exhausted walking out of there. I remember wondering how tired the band must have felt. With black and white Freed-esque skeleton make up running down their faces.
It was at that moment that I realized that I really realized that I was witnessing a band that would set themselves apart from others in the music community. Something special.

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

The night the lights went out in Little Rock

I've only been to two shows, so I don't have much to draw from, but this stands out head and shoulders above the rest. What blind luck that half the power went off, but the mics stayed on, so we got to hear the Cooley improv. Then an epic a capella Bulldozers and Dirt with every person in the building singing along...sublime. At the end of the clip, Patterson dismisses everybody for a short break and vows to come back when the power is fixed and "rock y'alls balls off." He kept his word.

The sun, it rises one more time, and I'm still standing here.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Not sure I can pick a favorite, but one that comes to mind was when they opened for Petty a few summers ago. Went to the show at Riverbend in Cincy, and was about 10 or 12 rows from the stage. Most people weren't really into DBT at the beginning of the set, but as their set progressed and the crowd began to fill up, I could see more and more people paying attention to them. By the time they finished with Let There Be Rock, a bunch of people in the pavilion were on their feet with their fists in the air. Heard several people around us saying they needed to check out "this band". Definitely cool to see them win over some fans in such a big setting.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

gutshot wrote:The night the lights went out in Little Rock

I've only been to two shows, so I don't have much to draw from, but this stands out head and shoulders above the rest. What blind luck that half the power went off, but the mics stayed on, so we got to hear the Cooley improv. Then an epic a capella Bulldozers and Dirt with every person in the building singing along...sublime. At the end of the clip, Patterson dismisses everybody for a short break and vows to come back when the power is fixed and "rock y'alls balls off." He kept his word.

And if I hadn't been out of town, this would have been mine, too, dammit. As it is, I think it's that first show for me, having no idea what a typical set sounded like and hearing it all kick off with Zip City. (Fun fact about me: My punk rock name is Johnnie Zip. I have a deep heart connection to that song.) Closing with Angels and Fuselage was pretty great, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Many great moments. Second night at The Georgia Theater, 2012, closed with "Angels and Fuselage". Didn't realize it at the time but it was the last time I'd see them with Neff on guitar. Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble, June 2010 -- great day all around. Hung out with a dozen 3DDer's that afternoon in Woodstock. Fantastic time. It is hard to pick out a favorite moment because to me there is nothing better than kicking back and hearing my favorite band play some of my favorite songs. The great thing is that they tour often so there are plenty of opportunities for those of us in the US to catch them each year.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Watching Patterson pass out on stage, only to catch himself on the chair he had been sitting in earlier in the show, and keep on fucking jamming. State Trooper. Iowa City, Iowa. TDU. 2007. If that's not rock and roll, I don't know what is.

Also: watching my brother break down in tears as they closed with "Angels & Fuselage" while opening for Petty in Omaha on my 25th birthday (6/23/10).

RMD

Post by RMD »

The few times I have caught "A World Of Hurt". Patterson, arms in the air, repeating "It's fucking great to be alive" as the crowd goes wild. Goosebumps.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Great thread. I can't believe this hasn't been done. Great idea.

Tough to pick only one.

I got a buddy of mine (actually my best friend) to go to a show with me at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta back in 2010. He was only familiar with the band because of my constant talking about them and my playing Gravity's Gone in our little local band that he and I both play in.

They walked out on stage and ripped into Gravity's Gone as the openeing song. He was hooked. That night we also got what a version of A Love Like This that I thought could never be matched it was so good (I turned out to be wrong but more on that in a bit). It was hair standing up on the arms good. My buddy is a big country fan, as in real country. He says, "Damn it, this may be one of the best country songs ever written." Also that night, there were some jerks that had been getting on everybody's neves, somebody finally got enough and a ruckus broke out. Patterson squatted down at the edge of the stage and was trying to get everybody to calm down. They wouldn't listen so Damon comes down to make them listen. The band is in the middle of Shut Up And Get On The Plane during all this and without missing a beat, between verses Cooley says, "Damon is a very large man. I recommend you do exactly what the fuck he says." :lol: *Is Damon still part of the crew? Haven't seen him in a while."*

Homecoming 2011. Night two. They closed with a version of Lookout Mountain that almost just blew the 40 Watt down. It was unreal.

Homecoming 2012. Night One . I finally got When The Pin Hits The Shell. One of Mrs. Younger's absolute favorites so that was real cool. Also got Wednesday which was a complete surprise and made it even more special. Met Dogstar that night and had a real good conversation with him.

Homecoming 2013. Night Two. Mrs. Younger couldn't make it. I drove up there alone, thought I was meeting Jonicont just to work out getting my other ticket to someone who needed it. Ended up at AthensJoe's house met a bunch of yall and had a great time. Then got to the show. Craig's death was and still is so sad but the show was unbelieveable. The entire show was a favorite moment. They opened with The Living Bubba. Me and Clams looked at each other and just nodded. Perfect opener. The instrumental version of The Three Great Alabama Icons was amazing. Cooley played his guitar like he was mad at it. Later, I got a version of A Love Like This that topped the one in Atlanta. Everybody was so into it. Hard to explain, but something about the version of Birthday Boy that night was extra special. Something about the way Patteerson and Cooley were talking before it started. Hard to explain. Shouting along to Women Without Wiskey with Clams, FoolNowhere, Swamp, Jonicont, GuitarmanUpstairs, Litdimly, and Kevidently was first rate.

That's all I got for now.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I had a memorable moment last month at the Port Chester show. I was sitting next to Jonicont in the balcony. The encore was going Cooley, Hood, Cooley, Hood. Then, at the end of "Zip City" Patterson says something to Cooley and they go into "Shut Up and Get On The Plane". I turned to Jonicont and said, "I think Patterson just called for "Angels and Fuselage". Sure enough, that was the closer. It was epic.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Cole Younger wrote:Variety Playhouse in Atlanta back in 2010. He was only familiar with the band because of my constant talking about them and my playing Gravity's Gone in our little local band that he and I both play in.

They walked out on stage and ripped into Gravity's Gone as the openeing song. He was hooked. That night we also got what a version of A Love Like This that I thought could never be matched it was so good (I turned out to be wrong but more on that in a bit). It was hair standing up on the arms good. My buddy is a big country fan, as in real country. He says, "Damn it, this may be one of the best country songs ever written." Also that night, there were some jerks that had been getting on everybody's neves, somebody finally got enough and a ruckus broke out. Patterson squatted down at the edge of the stage and was trying to get everybody to calm down. They wouldn't listen so Damon comes down to make them listen. The band is in the middle of Shut Up And Get On The Plane during all this and without missing a beat, between verses Cooley says, "Damon is a very large man. I recommend you do exactly what the fuck he says." :lol: *Is Damon still part of the crew? Haven't seen him in a while."*

I was at that show. Killer. It was the Go-Go- Boots album weekend as I recall. Great set both nights, especially Saturday night. I went with three friends Friday, when they played all of Go-Go B, and ran into several friends from home as well. Went solo Saturday, sat in the balcony, very glad I did. Zoloft! That was the best DBT show I have seen, only out of 8 since 2006 (not 100 like some folks on here) but it was a high point for the band to me. Not that they cannot reach it again, but a high point nonetheless.

I think Damon has moved on. Too bad, he could keep folks in line better than any security. I saw him in the hallway at a venue, that dude is intimidating!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

blackwll wrote:I was at that show. Killer. It was the Go-Go- Boots album weekend as I recall. Great set both nights, especially Saturday night. I went with three friends Friday, when they played all of Go-Go B, and ran into several friends from home as well. Went solo Saturday, sat in the balcony, very glad I did. Zoloft! That was the best DBT show I have seen, only out of 8 since 2006 (not 100 like some folks on here) but it was a high point for the band to me.

The Big To-Do came out the following Tuesday. They played much more from TBTD than GGB that weekend.
I agree that both shows were great. Friday's show was one of the longest I've seen them do...32 songs.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

What a BRUTAL question...

If I had to pick one (there really are too many), I'd go with New Year's Eve 2011 at the 9:30 Club when DBT and Booker T rang in the new year with Green Onions. Magic. Fucking Magic!

And oh yeah, the Alabama Shakes opened up the show too. They got us just a little warmed up. :lol:
Send lawyers, guns and money....

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

It had to be the time when this hulking middle-aged dude (me), rocking out by my lonesome, felt a someone grab his ass. A little shocked, I turned around not knowing what to expect. Damned if it wasn't a SUPER CUTE young lady. She smiled at me, we danced a little more, then her boyfriend returned from the bar. He scowled at me and I laughed.

This NEVER happens in real life.
Not forever, just for now.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I really enjoyed seeing "Box of Spiders" 4 days after my great grandmas funeral, at a point in time when it was not commonly played.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Cubfan06 wrote:Halloween 2004 at The Metro. "I'm Eighteen" I had caught DBT before on the Decoration Day album and loved it, however I had just started to become obsessively into this band. The Metro was sold out and packed to the gills. I knew it was a long and epic show when the crowd had bought the venue out of whiskey. Due to the heat and the venue being packed to capacity this show was a sweaty act of endurance. Just when I thought that DBT didn't have anymore they kicked into this Alice Cooper tune. That was the 29th tune of the evening. They proceeded to play another 4 tunes. I was exhausted walking out of there. I remember wondering how tired the band must have felt. With black and white Freed-esque skeleton make up running down their faces.
It was at that moment that I realized that I really realized that I was witnessing a band that would set themselves apart from others in the music community. Something special.

This show was a real turning point for me also. I had seen DBT about 5 times before, liked them a hell of a lot, but had not yet become the obsessive lunatic that those of us on this board tend to be. It was three days before the '04 election and my wife and I had spent the day campaigning for Kerry in Wisconsin, drove back to Chicago very tired and went to the show wondering if we would make it to the end. The band was on fire all night. They played over 3 hours and the energy level was incredible. We never even thought about leaving. I left that show wondering if I would ever again attend a concert that good. And I don't think I have.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Mr. B wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:Halloween 2004 at The Metro. "I'm Eighteen" I had caught DBT before on the Decoration Day album and loved it, however I had just started to become obsessively into this band. The Metro was sold out and packed to the gills. I knew it was a long and epic show when the crowd had bought the venue out of whiskey. Due to the heat and the venue being packed to capacity this show was a sweaty act of endurance. Just when I thought that DBT didn't have anymore they kicked into this Alice Cooper tune. That was the 29th tune of the evening. They proceeded to play another 4 tunes. I was exhausted walking out of there. I remember wondering how tired the band must have felt. With black and white Freed-esque skeleton make up running down their faces.

This show was a real turning point for me also. I had seen DBT about 5 times before, liked them a hell of a lot, but had not yet become the obsessive lunatic that those of us on this board tend to be. It was three days before the '04 election and my wife and I had spent the day campaigning for Kerry in Wisconsin, drove back to Chicago very tired and went to the show wondering if we would make it to the end. The band was on fire all night. They played over 3 hours and the energy level was incredible. We never even thought about leaving. I left that show wondering if I would ever again attend a concert that good. And I don't think I have.

I have never seen a bad show in my 30+ times of seeing DBT. Some more monumental than others. None have even touched that one in terms of setlist, crowd intensity, and longevity combined. Easily a top 10 show in my total resume.

The boot can't exactly explain what happened in Chicago that night, but its pretty darn good.

http://archive.org/details/dbt2004-10-30.akg391.flac16

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

You guys are killing me. That's the only Chicago show I've missed in the last 9 years.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Tough question.

A few that jump out immediately.

Terminal 5 on NYE with all the crazy circus acts happening. It was an unbelievably long show, Kelly Hogan joined in and was amazing, as was the set list that night.

NYE at the 9:30 Club with Alabama Shakes and Booker T. Seeing Booker T join the Shakes was something special, and watching him with DBT for their whole set was something else.
Plus Patterson handed us a bottle of champagne from stage that night, took it back when security hassled us for it, and snuck it back to us at the end of the night.

After many shows, we started stealing "baseball" signs and could figure out the signals for some of the DBT songs. At one of the Austin shows we were at, as a joke, I looked at Cooley and used his signal for SDZ, he laughed his ass off and then played that song. :lol:

Each time Patterson has dedicated a song to us has been special. My favorite dedication of all was recently, in our home town show in New Haven last month, he said some unbelievably sweet things before dedicating Heathens to us. It was doubly sweet since that was Craig's favorite PH song.

The Waterloo show in Canada a few summers ago was unreal. Crazy set list, and we got 3 songs that night we hadn't heard up until that night. It's always fun wondering if we'll get a song that we've been chasing, but to get 3 in one night was nuts.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

I'm going to have to go with the NYE 2012 show at the 9:30 club as well. It was the first show my sister-in-law and her husband went to with us. They had only heard a few songs by DBT before that night, but were instantly hooked. I'm hoping the DC NYE shows continue for years to come.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

6/20/2011. Brooklyn Bowl. Last minute. Scheduled 4 days before. Sold out. Open with the Southern Thing (second time being played in 2 1/2 years. A fucking barn burner show. Got the mic and bottle during People Who Died. Commotion on the floor. Damon diving off the stage, dragging some guy out. Patterson ripping open his shirt at the end. Total mayhem
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote: Patterson ripping open his shirt at the end.

Does Roger Daltrey know?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The Pine Hill Farm shows in Durham back in 2001 and 2002, especially the first one. There were lots of great moments there, including EZB's smart ass running commentary between songs. Cooley saying, "if anyone pukes, blame it on the dog" and Patterson beginning the second set by saying, "everything from here on out is off the record. I don't want to wake up in the morning and read about this shit on the internet" (or at least words to that effect). Musically, there was lots of great stuff during that first one too like Thad Cockrell joining them for "Bulldozers and Dirt" and Jyl Freed providing backing vocals on a tear stained version of "Angels and Fuselage" (this was right after 9/11). The night ended with everyone singing along to "Keep On Smilin'".

I'll second "The Weight" with Megafaun at Cat's Cradle on the day Levon Helm died. I'm not sure how to describe that moment other than everyone singing along through their tears. It was a joyous and sorrowful moment happening at the exact same time.

I'm sure there's lots of others I'll think of later but Patterson sharing the mic on "People Who Died" at the Visulite in Charlotte back in 2009 was also pretty damn cool.