The Dimmer Twins 7/4/13 - Waverly, AL

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: The Dimmer Twins 7/4/13 - Waverly, AL

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

psychobillycadillac wrote:Looking at the forecast for tomorrow there's a 100% chance of rain, does anyone know if the weather forecast will affect the show? :?

Good news and bad news. From their Facebook page:

Standard Deluxe wrote:WE Have a Rain Venue in PLaCe - The ShoW WiLL GO ON !
We'LL CaLL it THURSDAY Afternoon - Stay Tuned !

So there will be a show, but it may not be outdoors. That puts a little crimp in the plan to take the daughter. Still planning on it for now, though.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

The rain venue is the War Eagle Supper Club, a bar south of campus. Thumbs up to the Supper Club for opening on the 4th for this. Drats! I may have to skip this one and catch Cooley in Pensacola, but that is not the preferred option.

http://wareaglesupperclub.com/

Edit: "WE're CALLING iT early afternoon tomorrow ...
Hoping the rain forecast is gonna be wrong...
Kids are Welcome at the Club...Bar will be Open ,
NO BYOB though ...(they have good prices)
Smoking will be only on back patio ....stay tuned !"

- https://www.facebook.com/events/366426653473645/

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Thinking about how awesome this show is going to be got me thinking.. It seems both Patterson and Cooley are really digging these more intimate acoustic performances. I for one, think it would be awesome if the next full blown Truckers tour was one set of acoustic (ala the Dirth Underneith) and then a second set of electric Rock Show. Like an hour- hour fifteen of acoustic, set break/stage change then an hour and a half of the shit that melts our faces. It's something for everyone and would definitely keep it fresh for the band.

Billed as "An evening with the Drive-by Truckers- Acoustic and Electric"

Anway, I hope y'all have a blast at the gig and I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

I'd love to hear from locals if they think it's going to be called indoors. Part of taking the daughter was to let her run around outside, hang with other kids, and especially to not get her ears blown out. Plus my little-brother best friend--the one who turned me on to DBT--is in town up in northwest Arkansaw with his daughter, and skipping this trip is my only real chance to see him.* So as much as I want to make this show, I'm having to give real hard thought to skipping it. Any advice on this from folks on the ground would be very welcome.

*And to retrieve my mirrorshades without driving into the sun. I left them up there Saturday night when I went to an old friend's wake. That turned out to be a great time. I not only heard that he told stories about me, just like people were famous for telling stories about him--though the one about me almost joining the Talking Heads is completely out of left field. He was thinking of the less interesting story about how I met the Mothersbaugh brothers in Ohio a year before the first Devo album came out--but I got schooled on the difference between a Greek bouzouki and an Irish bouzouki and saw people I hadn't seen in decades.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

From Management - the show WILL NOT be called for one or the other until tomorrow around 1pm. They really want to keep it at Standard Deluxe so they're giving the sun every chance to shine. :)
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

Badass. And I can even put it up in my office, because it doesn't have any exposed ladyparts.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Due to rain, the show will go in but has definitely been moved to The Supper Club in Auburn. The BBQ is still on, kids can still come, but no BYOB - the bar will be open and they have good prices. Plus, the Twins will be DRY, at least in the epidermal sense, which will make everyone so much happier. DON'T MISS Don Chambers, who is opening - he's badass.

-jenn
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

John A Arkansawyer

Jenn wrote:Due to rain, the show will go in but has definitely been moved to The Supper Club in Auburn. The BBQ is still on, kids can still come, but no BYOB - the bar will be open and they have good prices. Plus, the Twins will be DRY, at least in the epidermal sense, which will make everyone so much happier. DON'T MISS Don Chambers, who is opening - he's badass.

-jenn

Just saw this on Facebook. Since I have the daughter with me, I'm going to ditch and go see friends in Fayetteville. And I'm doing it with a severe case of regret, but there's things more important and I'm...well, not holding proof, but looking at it. All you fuckers go have a fucking great time! (As will we.)

John A Arkansawyer

Oh, god. Now she's playing Taylor Swift. Maybe I should rethink this.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I knew this was gonna happen. Waverly is about an hour from me and we are supposed to get five inches between now and Monday.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Any chance of a 'stream' for those of us at home holding down the fort on the 4th?

Happy Independence Day!
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:I knew this was gonna happen. Waverly is about an hour from me and we are supposed to get five inches between now and Monday.

It's an hour and a half from me and it's been pouring here since yesterday.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Jenn wrote:Due to rain, the show will go in but has definitely been moved to The Supper Club in Auburn. The BBQ is still on, kids can still come, but no BYOB - the bar will be open and they have good prices. Plus, the Twins will be DRY, at least in the epidermal sense, which will make everyone so much happier. DON'T MISS Don Chambers, who is opening - he's badass.

-jenn

Doors open? Tickets still available at the door?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

Wow...no one has woken up to post a setlist/recap yet?

As always, it was folly to try to predict July weather in the South. Not a raindrop all evening. Still a fun night, but would have been a lot better outdoors in Waverly. The Supper Club unfortunately held in all of the heat and drunk chatter that would have dissipated outdoors. Patterson had to shush the crowd more than once, and nobody says "Shut the Fuck Up" better than Cooley.

I didn't keep a setlist, but it was mostly established DBT stuff - there may have been 1 or 2 new songs. Patterson did a song/story that I hadn't heard before - about touring through West Virginia/Cleveland/Lansing/Buffalo...seemed to be set to the tune of Buttholeville (but maybe PH was just playing that as a thinly veiled comment to the chatterboxes in the crowd).

Highlights for me were 1) hearing Nine Bullets and 2) seeing the Hood and Cooley kids serve as personal bartenders throughout the set. "Daddy Needs a Drink" indeed.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

buddymo wrote:I didn't keep a setlist, but it was mostly established DBT stuff - there may have been 1 or 2 new songs. Patterson did a song/story that I hadn't heard before - about touring through West Virginia/Cleveland/Lansing/Buffalo...seemed to be set to the tune of Buttholeville (but maybe PH was just playing that as a thinly veiled comment to the chatterboxes in the crowd).

That's Whiteknuckle, WV. Really old (1998ish?) song that Patterson plays some solo, full band has never done it AFAIK.

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

Tyler wrote:
That's Whiteknuckle, WV. Really old (1998ish?) song that Patterson plays some solo, full band has never done it AFAIK.

Thanks. I knew someone would educate me!

By the way, found a setlist on facebook:
Sdz
Lookout mt
Pulaski
George jones cell phone
9 bullets
Panties in your purse
Mercy buckets
Marry me
Used to be a cop
Where the devil don't stay
Run away train (Adams housecat)
Get downtown
Sink hole
Cottonseed
Rock solid (brand new)?
New Cooley song
Tales facin up
Shut up get your ass
Hell no ain't happy
Zip city
White knuckle West Virginia story

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

PeterG wrote:Any chance of a 'stream' for those of us at home holding down the fort on the 4th?

Happy Independence Day!

I checked sporadically last night to see if "Team Dirty South" was streaming but never found anything. I was there in spirit. I hated for those that got to attend that the concert was moved inside, but I guess y'all are lucky that somewhere was available to host the show with the forecast. An inside show is still better than a cancelled one.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I learned last summer at the Hood/Cooley show at that garage in Richmond that, as good as they each are solo, they are 10x better when they play together. The second guitar adds so much to the sound. Looking forward to reviews of this show.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I learned last summer at the Hood/Cooley show at that garage in Richmond

Speaking of weather impacting a show...

(The show was interrupted when the power went out due to a spectacularly severe thunderstorm. While that helped separate the wheat (fans there to listen to the show) from the chaff (fans there to talk over the music), the pictures the next morning of uprooted trees, smashed roofs and other devastation proved just how bad that storm was.)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

grapico

Post by grapico »

"Hell No I Ain't Happy" was GLORIOUS last night

vacant

Post by vacant »

Anyone have the Don Chambers setlist from the gig?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Great show. The Supper Club staff really stepped up to open on the 4th and make it work. It did get a little chatty at times, but it was a fun locale. There was a hotel next door so that resolved any driving issues. Got to meet Hood for the first time, as well as several TTDers. White Knuckle was the peak of the show for me. Lots of fun despite the rain. The Fall Boogie at Waverly should be a lot of fun for those on this site, so I heard. Look for an announcement from Standard Deluxe soon. Hood said that they wanted to try to get back to Waverly soon.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Burning question: Did they bust out those stars and stripes guitars at any point?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

No Stars and stripe guitars and no Cooley banjo :(
On a side note, I thought the crowd was freaking terrible. I can't for the life of me understand why you would pay $20 to come in and talk through the whole show!!! Go down to the nearest applebees fuckheads! I swear Patterson gave it the shhhhshh things 10 times to the crowd...hell they even told people to shuck the fuck up once.....The fans that were there for the show were great, but the asshats that just want to talk about their fucking jobs, girlfriends, fraternity...or whatever ruin it for us. I for one would pay double the price to be able to enjoy the show without out all that bullshit( not to mention the guy right behind me screaming Steve Mcqueen, along with one guy yelling for outfit!, every fucking moment he could all the while bumping into me and spilling beer on me to the point that I had to splain a few things to him.) I understand this a little bit for the rock shows.

Any chance of the 3DDers getting together and having a special show just for us? Maybe around the homecoming shows? I know I would pay a my share for that. Hell, I paid $40 two tics, $120 gas, drove 12 hours(RT), spent $100 on a hotel. Sorry about the rant!
It was a fun show and it was great to see the other 3DD people there!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Video coming soon.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

bnzz wrote:No Stars and stripe guitars and no Cooley banjo :(
On a side note, I thought the crowd was freaking terrible. I can't for the life of me understand why you would pay $20 to come in and talk through the whole show!!! Go down to the nearest applebees fuckheads! I swear Patterson gave it the shhhhshh things 10 times to the crowd...hell they even told people to shuck the fuck up once.....The fans that were there for the show were great, but the asshats that just want to talk about their fucking jobs, girlfriends, fraternity...or whatever ruin it for us. I for one would pay double the price to be able to enjoy the show without out all that bullshit( not to mention the guy right behind me screaming Steve Mcqueen, along with one guy yelling for outfit!, every fucking moment he could all the while bumping into me and spilling beer on me to the point that I had to splain a few things to him.) I understand this a little bit for the rock shows.

Any chance of the 3DDers getting together and having a special show just for us? Maybe around the homecoming shows? I know I would pay a my share for that. Hell, I paid $40 two tics, $120 gas, drove 12 hours(RT), spent $100 on a hotel. Sorry about the rant!
It was a fun show and it was great to see the other 3DD people there!

That really surprises me about the shitty crowd. Especially, with their Alabama ties. Except for the hardcores, I've felt the same way at times about the Athens crowds at the 40 WAtt. (I'm ducking) I'd point to the college town aspect, however haven't felt the same way about crowds in Lexington or Madison. You would think that with the "home town" connection that people would be mindful and respectful of that.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

You know I expect it at the big rock show but this was a very different show with 2 guys and 2 guitars and with it being the rare chance to see them in this setting it was just disappointing to have to deal with that stuff. I do give a tip of the hat to the big group of folks who seemingly never left the outside deck. Looked like they were having a great time talking and smoking and laughing all on the outside deck. Why they would pay 20 bucks to sit out there I do not know. Every time I went to the bathroom I would see the same folks out there. My hats off to them for not adding to the asshattery.

Clams

Post by Clams »

If the crowds at these more intimate shows are such an issue (and I have no doubt that they are), then maybe Patterson & Cooley should consider a tour of living room shows. More and more artists are doing these, and the one that I've seen (Will Johnson and Anders Parker) was fantastic and totally memorable. I'd guess that they wouldn't make as much dough because the shows are much smaller, but they would definitely get the intimate environment that they covet.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:If the crowds at these more intimate shows are such an issue (and I have no doubt that they are), then maybe Patterson & Cooley should consider a tour of living room shows. More and more artists are doing these, and the one that I've seen (Will Johnson and Anders Parker) was fantastic and totally memorable. I'd guess that they wouldn't make as much dough because the shows are much smaller, but they would definitely get the intimate environment that they covet.

Oh man, can you imagine the competition to host those shows? I see blood on the floor, feuds between former best friends, class warfare (my house is bigger, oh yeah? my neighborhood is better) and an "arms race" to provide the best/most perks. :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:
Oh man, can you imagine the competition to host those shows? I see blood on the floor, feuds between former best friends, class warfare (my house is bigger, oh yeah? my neighborhood is better) and an "arms race" to provide the best/most perks. :lol:

I have a couple of acres with camp sites available
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!