The Dimmer Twins 7/4/13 - Waverly, AL

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jenn

Re: The Dimmer Twins 7/4/13 - Waverly, AL

Post by Jenn »

I just wanna say that the Standard Deluxe is the kind of place any music lover would dream of having. Great music in a lovely outdoor spot with fun people. I had SO much fun last year when we went to see Centro-Matic. I grew up in Waverly, from a wee girl until 10th grade when Mama moved us back to North Alabama to keep me from "getting in trouble". It's as laid back a little place as can be - lots of old hippies (the good kind), lots of young artists, and lots of beautiful places and nice people. Auburn and that vicinity oughta bring out some hilarious memories and stories from the boys, too, since they had such a crazy time there - and I know they love the venue. If you're on the fence about this show, let me lightly push you over - it's gonna be a good one!

We're thinking about stopping in on the way to Alabama for Daddy's big 4th of July party. Only thing is that we'll have our dog - I've already gotten a couple of ideas of what to do with her so if we can find a place to keep her for a couple of hours, we might see you all there.

-j
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

We are making this trip! Someone already posted it was byob, is it the kind of venue you bring a lawn chair to? It looks like a yard with a stage on it.
Thanks
bnzz

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

bnzz wrote:We are making this trip! Someone already posted it was byob, is it the kind of venue you bring a lawn chair to? It looks like a yard with a stage on it.
Thanks
bnzz

Yes, you should bring small coolers with cans and kids (not in the cooler) but no animals or glass. Lawn chairs and or blankets advised unless you just want to stand or sit on grass. Last 280 Jam was pretty crowded so they served as place markers but I doubt this one will be as much of a turnout. Check their website or Facebook for more info (Standard Deluxe in Waverly, AL).

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

So this is looking more promising by the day for us or me at the very least. Somebody said someth'in about kids there, They gotta have a ticket too?
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:So this is looking more promising by the day for us or me at the very least. Somebody said someth'in about kids there, They gotta have a ticket too?

I asked about this. Fourteen and under are free.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:So this is looking more promising by the day for us or me at the very least. Somebody said someth'in about kids there, They gotta have a ticket too?

This is a kid friendly venue. My kids love it (well, the older teen has outgrown it, but that is just a teen thing). The elementary school age kids were begging to go. They can run around and play while parents have fun too. 14 and under is free as noted. When Hood played there two years ago around July 4th weekend, he lamented not bringing his kids, and then brought them the following year. I think Cooley brought his family last October, but maybe it was his wife only? It is a seriously fun venue.

GuitarManUpstairs

blackwll wrote:

This is a kid friendly venue. My kids love it (well, the older teen has outgrown it, but that is just a teen thing). The elementary school age kids were begging to go. They can run around and play while parents have fun too. 14 and under is free as noted. When Hood played there two years ago around July 4th weekend, he lamented not bringing his kids, and then brought them the following year. I think Cooley brought his family last October, but maybe it was his wife only? It is a seriously fun venue.

I'm sold!

John A Arkansawyer

blackwll wrote:

Since you brought it up, the person at Standard Deluxe who told me about the fourteen and under thing told me he figured they were both bringing their family. I'd already decided to bring the daughter--just turned ten!--but that sealed the deal. If they know the venue and are willing to let their kids run free in it, then...well, okay, granted, I was already going to do it, but that made my mind very easy over it. So we'll see you all there!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

GuitarManUpstairs

Tix purchased!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Ha! Love how they superimposed Patterson into that Cooley pic. But lots of good info in that article, and all of it very positive for the future! thanks for posting.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Not gonna make it.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:Not gonna make it.

I think you're excused. ;)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Just this once though
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Jonicont wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Just this once though

I was kinda hoping we'd get to see the little sprout in person, but we didn't take ours on the road till she was three weeks old--which, come to think of it, was ten years ago this Independence Day. She'll be back in Alabama for the first time since we passed through on our move back home to Arkansaw from Atlanta.

jawilson20

Post by jawilson20 »

I imagine some folks, like myself, will be enjoying their fair share of adult beverages to celebrate America's Independence Day and more importantly, THE DIMMER TWINS. I also imagine that some of the same folks have spouses that want to enjoy adult beverages just the same, which leaves us all one short of a designated driver. What are you people doing?!?!

I am pretty sure there is no camping or hotels on site/immediately nearby. Is the nearest hotel option going to be in Auburn? If so, any chance there is taxi service from Waverly? I really want to come to the awesome and unique show, but one has got to be extra careful when choosing to drive on a holiday such as July 4th!

grapico

Post by grapico »

jawilson20 wrote:I imagine some folks, like myself, will be enjoying their fair share of adult beverages to celebrate America's Independence Day and more importantly, THE DIMMER TWINS. I also imagine that some of the same folks have spouses that want to enjoy adult beverages just the same, which leaves us all one short of a designated driver. What are you people doing?!?!

I am pretty sure there is no camping or hotels on site/immediately nearby. Is the nearest hotel option going to be in Auburn? If so, any chance there is taxi service from Waverly? I really want to come to the awesome and unique show, but one has got to be extra careful when choosing to drive on a holiday such as July 4th!

Auburn is the closest for lodging. It's my favorite music venue in the whole wide world that just happens to be in my backyard. I'll find out if there's a shuttle/taxi option.

jawilson20

Post by jawilson20 »

grapico wrote:
jawilson20 wrote:I imagine some folks, like myself, will be enjoying their fair share of adult beverages to celebrate America's Independence Day and more importantly, THE DIMMER TWINS. I also imagine that some of the same folks have spouses that want to enjoy adult beverages just the same, which leaves us all one short of a designated driver. What are you people doing?!?!

Auburn is the closest for lodging. It's my favorite music venue in the whole wide world that just happens to be in my backyard. I'll find out if there's a shuttle/taxi option.

It appears to be one amazing place. I really want to make the trip, but gotta be responsible ya know? Usually when I see the guys I take taxi home or am staying at a hotel within walking distance.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Could they possibly road test some new songs here?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

BiloxiParish wrote:Could they possibly road test some new songs here?

Yes. Hood debuted about 6-8 Heat Lightning songs about a year before it came out two years ago there, and I think both Hood and Cooley have been playing a few new songs, possibly to test them for the new DBT album they are going to be working on. I would be surprised to not hear at least 1-2 new ones.

John A Arkansawyer

So who else is in for this? Im taking the daughter. Anyone who'd like to carpool from Little Rock or Memphis or now he'd like to go to Spain or something like that? Let me know. We'll take the top down and cruise all through the night with the RADIO ON!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Some of y'all will probably be coming pretty close to my neck of the woods - y'all should stop and get some wine from the Fruithurst Winery.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Wife and I heading up from Jacksonville!

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I want to attend this like there is no tomorrow.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

BiloxiParish wrote:I want to attend this like there is no tomorrow.

FWIW, this is a very kid-friendly event from ages 2 - 92.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

blackwll wrote:
BiloxiParish wrote:I want to attend this like there is no tomorrow.

FWIW, this is a very kid-friendly event from ages 2 - 92.

My kids are both under 2 and it's a 4 hour drive from the Alabama coast for me. I think my wife has a business meeting in Tampa the following day.Whats funny is last year we lived in Columbus, GA less than 45 mi uses away from Waverly.

life!!!

roland

Post by roland »

Wish I could be down there!

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

I'm in for this !!!!The wife and I and youngest son are headed for Savannah,and dadgumit,Waverly is right on the way,kinda!Can't wait,looks like a great time.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Love the pic Roland. Just a couple of all American boys right here.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Looking at the forecast for tomorrow there's a 100% chance of rain, does anyone know if the weather forecast will affect the show? :?