DBT at CPT: DBT #12 August/September 2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Re: DBT at CPT?

Post by ramonz »

The SRO owl is badass!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Lots of good things happening in Athens this week. Matt just posted this pic of Patterson's new Baxendale hollow body guitar. Hot. Damn.

Damn, that is a beautiful guitar. The Hood Owl is totally alsum!
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

RevMatt wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Lots of good things happening in Athens this week. Matt just posted this pic of Patterson's new Baxendale hollow body guitar. Hot. Damn.

Damn, that is a beautiful guitar. The Hood Owl is totally alsum!

Love the Bigsby!
Keep calm and have a cigar

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Looks like fun in the studio. :D

Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

jck747

Post by jck747 »

Christ, Cooley needs to start taking care of himself...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Looks like fun in the studio. :D

Bottle of Makers. Raising a glass for Craig?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jck747 wrote:Christ, Cooley needs to start taking care of himself...

You're basing this on an Instagram photo? I just saw him a couple of weeks ago in Pensacola and he looked tanned and healthy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

GuitarManUpstairs

I actually thought this pic looked rather youthful. :)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm confused by "DBT 12". This would either their 10th proper studio album, or 13th official release.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:I'm confused by "DBT 12". This would either their 10th proper studio album, or 13th official release.

Ten studio albums and one live album makes eleven. The DVDs don't count unless you put them out on VHS.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'm confused by "DBT 12". This would either their 10th proper studio album, or 13th official release.

Ten studio albums and one live album makes eleven. The DVDs don't count unless you put them out on VHS.

Two live albums, plus TFP
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

GuitarManUpstairs

I'm pretty sure it is just a working title at the moment anyway.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

You would want to avoid using #13, wouldn't you?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Zip City wrote:

Austin isn't considered an official release. At least by Patterson anyway (according to the DBT website). He calls GGB their 11th album.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I read they were in the studio from 3AM - 3PM. Anyone know if this is customary for them or if this is no air conditioning related?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Austin isn't considered an official release. At least by Patterson anyway (according to the DBT website). He calls GGB their 11th album.

Funny that they don't list Live From Austin, TX but they do include Ugly Buildings, Whores, and Politicians - Greatest Hits 1998-2009, both of which were released by New West. I guess the reason it's not listed is because it has more to do it being being part of the Austin City Limits series on New West than with their own association with the label at the time. Maybe sort of like the live album that was released by Third Man.

John A Arkansawyer

UncleFrank23 wrote:
Zip City wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Ten studio albums and one live album makes eleven. The DVDs don't count unless you put them out on VHS.

Austin isn't considered an official release. At least by Patterson anyway (according to the DBT website). He calls GGB their 11th album.

Yep, exactly. If you look right here, you'll notice there are (right now) eleven records on that top row. No sign of either DVD (which is how I think of the ACL release) anywhere on that page, only here.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
UncleFrank23 wrote:Austin isn't considered an official release. At least by Patterson anyway (according to the DBT website). He calls GGB their 11th album.

Funny that they don't list Live From Austin, TX but they do include Ugly Buildings, Whores, and Politicians - Greatest Hits 1998-2009, both of which were released by New West. I guess the reason it's not listed is because it has more to do it being being part of the Austin City Limits series on New West than with their own association with the label at the time. Maybe sort of like the live album that was released by Third Man.

Taking the website literally, I wonder if it's because Austin isn't released as a record. All others (In that section) are available on vinyl.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

UncleFrank23 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Taking the website literally, I wonder if it's because Austin isn't released as a record. All others (In that section) are available on vinyl.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I've only seen it as a CD/DVD combo though I guess you can also buy it as a standalone DVD. As for why it's not listed in their discography, I'm thinking it has to do with it being a part of New West's ACL series.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Here's the man himself with his new beauty:

Is that Prince Randian on Patterson's tee? If so, I'm switching my man-crush from Cooley to Hood.
Now it's dark.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Anybody know how many days they booked CPT? Missed the chance to say "Three Days Down." :)
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

jck747

Post by jck747 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

You're basing this on an Instagram photo? I just saw him a couple of weeks ago in Pensacola and he looked tanned and healthy.

I don't think he looks bad, but drinking and smoking at his age is bound to catch up with him.

GuitarManUpstairs

jck747 wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I don't think he looks bad, but drinking and smoking at his age is bound to catch up with him.

He actually quit cigarettes a while back...maybe 2 years or more. I think it was before the GGB release. I get the feeling they've all cut back (some) on the alcohol too.

Last time I saw them when they played Chattanooga we talked about that and we got a pretty good gem outta him - Paraphrasing: "Quitting cigarettes is like an ex-girlfriend....every now and again you think about them and really want to hit it again, especially when you're drink'in." :lol:

jck747

Post by jck747 »

Last time I saw them when they played Chattanooga we talked about that and we got a pretty good gem outta him - Paraphrasing: "Quitting cigarettes is like an ex-girlfriend....every now and again you think about them and really want to hit it again, especially when you're drink'in." :lol:[/quote][/quote]

That's good; funny, too.

linkous

Post by linkous »

jck747 wrote:Last time I saw them when they played Chattanooga we talked about that and we got a pretty good gem outta him - Paraphrasing: "Quitting cigarettes is like an ex-girlfriend....every now and again you think about them and really want to hit it again, especially when you're drink'in." :lol:
[/quote]

That's good; funny, too.[/quote]

Hopefully I'm missing something in translation, being a Brit and all, but if the inference here is that Cooley is joking about hitting a woman why is that funny?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

linkous wrote:
jck747 wrote:Last time I saw them when they played Chattanooga we talked about that and we got a pretty good gem outta him - Paraphrasing: "Quitting cigarettes is like an ex-girlfriend....every now and again you think about them and really want to hit it again, especially when you're drink'in." :lol:

That's good; funny, too.[/quote]

Hopefully I'm missing something in translation, being a Brit and all, but if the inference here is that Cooley is joking about hitting a woman why is that funny?[/quote]

It is definitely a translation thing. "Hitting that" is an urban-American, hip-hop originated term meaning having sex with a woman. Like if two single buddies were having pints at a bar and talking about a buddy's date the previous night. "Did you hit that?" or sometimes "Did you tap that?"

I'm now ducking from thrown objects from the respectable women on the board. And let me say that I'm a happily married and respectable. Just laying out the reality of the lingo. I'm sure you ladies have your own lingo too.

John A Arkansawyer

Cubfan06 wrote:
jck747 wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Last time I saw them when they played Chattanooga we talked about that and we got a pretty good gem outta him - Paraphrasing: "Quitting cigarettes is like an ex-girlfriend....every now and again you think about them and really want to hit it again, especially when you're drink'in." :lol:

linkous wrote:That's good; funny, too.

Hopefully I'm missing something in translation, being a Brit and all, but if the inference here is that Cooley is joking about hitting a woman why is that funny?

It is definitely a translation thing. "Hitting that" is an urban-American, hip-hop originated term meaning having sex with a woman. Like if two single buddies were having pints at a bar and talking about a buddy's date the previous night. "Did you hit that?" or sometimes "Did you tap that?"

I'm now ducking from thrown objects from the respectable women on the board. And let me say that I'm a happily married and respectable. Just laying out the reality of the lingo. I'm sure you ladies have your own lingo too.

They've got lots of 'em. In fact, I've found most ladies are rather cunning about their lingos.
Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Cubfan06 wrote:
linkous wrote:

That's good; funny, too.

Hopefully I'm missing something in translation, being a Brit and all, but if the inference here is that Cooley is joking about hitting a woman why is that funny?[/quote]

I'm now ducking from thrown objects from the respectable women on the board. And let me say that I'm a happily married and respectable. Just laying out the reality of the lingo. I'm sure you ladies have your own lingo too.[/quote]

No worries, I was hoping for a reply along those lines. Cheers.
In saying that, it's hardly flattering towards women is it?
(Tin hat on)

TruckerClown

Post by TruckerClown »

linkous wrote:That's good; funny, too.

I'm now ducking from thrown objects from the respectable women on the board. And let me say that I'm a happily married and respectable. Just laying out the reality of the lingo. I'm sure you ladies have your own lingo too.[/quote]

They've got lots of 'em. In fact, I've found most ladies are rather cunning about their lingos.[/quote]

This board is full of cunning linguists

John A Arkansawyer

linkous wrote:In saying that, it's hardly flattering towards women is it?
(Tin hat on)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the etymology is either "hit, like on a pipe, leading to "tap, like a keg" or maybe the other way around. Objectification, perhaps, but not violence. Or perhaps it's just like saying "you are full and rich and beautiful and give me pleasure like a great lager".