DBT added to The Ride festival, Telluride, July 13 and 14

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

colodogdoc

DBT added to The Ride festival, Telluride, July 13 and 14

Post by colodogdoc »

No info yet on when DBT will play, but the lineup looks really good. Saw a Tweet that NMA were added as well but don't see that on the "official" website. If you've ever thought about coming to Telluride, it's a beautiful, flaky little ski town about 7 hours from Denver. The festival is held on the ball fields, in the middle of town. Spectacular scenery. The Ride festival is only in its second year, and I haven't heard anything about it, but this might be just as good a reason as I need to drive 8 hours across Colorado.

http://www.ridefestival.com/
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Gaetzi

Re: DBT added to The Ride festival, Telluride, July 13 and 1

Post by Gaetzi »

Wow, very cool! A friend has a family condo right in town, may have to make this one happen. Telluride is incredible in the summer.. I've seen Panic and Phish at town park as well as a few years of Bluegrass.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Interesting that Telluride is about 7 hours from Denver, while it is only 14 hours from LA. The Western Colorado rockies are not only far more beautiful that the Eastern,but only a long days drive from the west coast, which looks a lot farther on the map. Too bad my vacation is in June.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

LTBR in Telluride! Truckers haven't been here in seven or eight years so I'm super stoked. Rock and roll fest is a refreshing change compared to the usual around here. If any of y'all are coming make sure to hit me up and let's get together. I live two miles from the stage but I might just camp--- the camping is awesome and easy and right next to the stage. Is it mid July yet?

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

I've never been to Telluride, but this just might be what it takes to get me there. Unless of course, they are on the line-up for the Red Butte Concert series.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

BUMP! I will be arriving in town tomorrow (Friday) afternoon with my friend Lacy in tow. We are camping at Town Park. If anyone would like to meet up for a drink or dinner give me a PM. Can't wait for this festival, lineup is amazing and you can't beat Telluride for sheer coolness and natural beauty!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

John Oates on "Everybody Needs Love"
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:Image

John Oates on "Everybody Needs Love"

That's Fuckin' Cool!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Sara would smile about such a maneater moment in DBT history!!!!!!
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:Sara would smile about such a maneater moment in DBT history!!!!!!

But she's gone.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'm not a fan of Hall & Oates in any way, shape or form but if this somehow leads to Patterson and/or Cooley working with them in some capacity I think that would be very cool to see, especially since they've long been such unabashed fans of theirs.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

John Oates is a local Aspen guy so it may not be all that random that he was in Telluride. But very cool he made it up on stage w the Truckers!

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Back home after an incredible weekend of music in one of the most beautiful places in the world. So, so, so much fun. Not enough superlatives in my vocabulary to describe what an amazing place Telluride is. They need to go ahead and trademark the term "America's Music Festival City", because they're just so damn good at it. They need to own that shit.

My friend and I camped at the campground right by the ball field. So convenient, just about a 5 minute walk to the field. And they were super chill about letting you bring drinks into the venue. Bags got searched, but open cocktails were apparently fine. It was super easy to walk back to the campsite between artists and fix a freshie.

Let me say that I really love the one stage festival format. I have been to Jazzfest many times and while it's a great time, trying to move around that giant racetrack in order to catch 1/2 of one act and then hurry over to another stage for 1/2 of another act is stress-inducing. The lineup for this festival was great, with just enough new bands to incite curiosity and a great set of headliners to attract a crowd.

Really loved The Rival Sons and The Revivalists. The lead singer of RS looks like Steven Tyler and sounds like Robert Plant. Really great songs, loads of talent. The Revivalists are a mash-up of hip hop, blues, and rock out of New Orleans. The lead singer actually jumped off of the stage, which is at least 8 feet high, and into the crowd, then proceeded to jump BACK up on the stage. The pedal steel player actually stood on his stool on several occasions and frequently jammed so hard on it he tipped it forward to the point where I was sure it was going to fall into the crowd. Neff could take a page from this guy's book. Tons of energy and again, great songs.

Have you ever seen Rodrigo y Gabriela? Because if you haven't, you probably should. Especially if you play guitar. She is holding down this percussive bottom line that includes her rhythmically thumping on the guitar as she simultaneously does kind of a flamenco thing with her strumming. He is picking at astronomical speeds. So much fun, and I was right on the front row with my mouth hanging open for most of their set.

Saturday night's closer was Big Head Todd and the Monsters, and unfortunately their set was preceded by an enormous rain storm that drove a good share of the crowd away. I like those guys, but they definitely enjoy a bigger following in Colorado than in many other parts of the country. We saw them in Mobile a couple of years ago and there couldn't have been 200 people in the room, yet they routinely sell out Red Rocks every summer out here. Go figure. Anyhow, John Oates came out for a song with them, and I said to my friend Lacy, hey, Patterson and Cooley supposedly LOVE Hall and Oates, wonder if they are here watching this? Little did I know what was in store for Sunday...

Jim Lauderdale and Buddy Miller - wow, what an you say? Those guys are the real deal. Have never seen Steve Earle or Son Volt, and their sets were both just amazing. During Son Volt's set you could see both Patterson and Cooley lurking around backstage listening. Cooley was especially intent on watching Miller and Lauderdale, moving to opposite sides of the stage depending on who was playing. Love seeing those guys digging the music and being a fan like me.

Time for DBT, and the governor of Colorado, John Hickenlooper comes onto the stage. Then he introduces America's greatest rock-n-roll band, or something like that, the Drive-By Truckers! Very cool, I wonder if maybe they met when the DNC was in Denver a few years back? He and Patterson exchanged a big bear hug, Cooley grins and shakes his hand, the crowd goes wild, and we're OFF!

I didn't keep a set list. I'm sorry, and huge kudos to those of you who do this for the rest of it, but what can I say? It harshes my mellow. I can tell you that they started with The Living Bubba and finished to wild cheers with Angels & Fuselage. And somewhere right around the middle of the set John Oates comes out and plays Everybody Needs Love with the band. I wish I could describe to you what Cooley's face looked like during this song. From the man who rarely even smiles on stage. This is all I got for you - pure, unadulterated joy. Laughing and grinning all at the same time, Patterson too. They were beside themselves. It was just an incredibly cool moment and I am so glad I was there to witness it.

We briefly chatted with Cooley and Jay, who were standing on the edge of the crowd waiting for David Byrne and St. Vincent, and Cooley acknowledged that it had been "a really good day", then started giggling. He was still on Cloud 9. They were both super sweet and so gracious and down to earth.

Cake still puts on a great show, but man, David Byrne showed why he was the headliner. I had listened to that album but did not know a thing about St. Vincent. Man, she was fantastic. And their band - holy cow, the brass! Tuba, couple of trombones, several trumpets, woodwinds - like 10 or 12 people, with David Byrne and St. Vincent both on guitar, she on electric and he on acoustic. Just phenomenal. It is a complete choreographed show and they are pretty much constantly marching around the stage, playing in little circles, laying down - it's crazy! But so much fun. David Byrne is the shizzle. They did pretty much everything from the album plus several Talking Heads tunes.

All in all, a super fun festival and just a great time. And now for some much needed sleep.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks for the write up Doc
Always go to the show

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Great write-up! There are a bunch of those bands I don't care about and you totally made me want to see them.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Daddy_played_poker

"I didn't keep a set list. I'm sorry, and huge kudos to those of you who do this for the rest of it, but what can I say? It harshes my mellow. I can tell you that they started with The Living Bubba and finished to wild cheers with Angels & Fuselage."

This!!!! "...harshes my mellow." is my new favorite quote. Nice post.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Great write-up as usual Dr. C.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UTHeathen wrote:Great write-up as usual Dr. C.

x2

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:"I didn't keep a set list. I'm sorry, and huge kudos to those of you who do this for the rest of it, but what can I say? It harshes my mellow. I can tell you that they started with The Living Bubba and finished to wild cheers with Angels & Fuselage."

You're clearly not from California, Daddy.

- bubba

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Great review, colodogdoc! Hick is a Truckers fan, who knew?! Makes me like the dude even more.

For those who don't know, Hickenlooper is a geologist turned brewery owner (he opened the first brewery, The Wynkoop, in downtown Denver before downtown had any appeal) turned restautanteer, turned mayor, turned governor. As best I can tell, he's respected and well liked by both parties.

cfreeman

Post by cfreeman »

This was one of the greatest rock and roll shows that I have ever seen. Telluride Town Park is one of the best places in the world to see a show and to see the Drive-by Truckers for the first time is the highlight of this summer. Somehow the rain held off for the show. As Doc mentioned earlier they opened with The Living Bubba. Other highlights/songs I recall (other than the absurdity of seeing John Oates, who is half the size of everyone in DBT and looked like a dwarf performing next to Hood) were Gravity's Gone, A World of Hurt (it ain't too late to take a deep breathe and throw yourself in, look at the fucking mountains!), 3 Dimes Down, Shut up and Get on the Plane --> Angels and Fuselage, A Ghost to Most, Lookout Mountain, Goodbye (I believe), Heathens, Everybody Needs Love (with Oates), Marry Me, and Tornadoes. I may have missed a few songs and have no idea on the order, other than the first three songs (Bubba -> Lookout -> 3 Dimes).

As an introduction this show has me completely hooked. I am ready to quit my job and go on tour.
- "Watch out for Buford."

Daddy_played_poker

one belt loop wrote:
Daddy_played_poker wrote:"I didn't keep a set list. I'm sorry, and huge kudos to those of you who do this for the rest of it, but what can I say? It harshes my mellow. I can tell you that they started with The Living Bubba and finished to wild cheers with Angels & Fuselage."

No OBL, I'm near Winston-Salem, NC where we got two kicking rock shows to close out June. I haven't made it out to California yet, but it is on my list. I assume it would "enhance my mellow".

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

cfreeman wrote: I am ready to quit my job and go on tour.

Jeez--it usually takes a bit more time before an intervention is needed
Always go to the show

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

No OBL, I'm near Winston-Salem, NC where we got two kicking rock shows to close out June. I haven't made it out to California yet, but it is on my list. I assume it would "enhance my mellow".

I was at those shows, so maybe we met! Come on out for a show. Or two.

That expression has been in use out here (and likely elsewhere) for many, many years.

cfreeman, many of us don't quite quit our jobs, but we definitely maximize our time off to include Truckers shows. You should look at the shows around Halloween and figure something out. And, by the way, welcome. :)

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Jonicont wrote:

wtf, you're retiring so you can do it.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:

The virus appears to be getting more virulent.

Daddy_played_poker

beantownbubba wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

The virus appears to be getting more virulent.

Some of my friends say things like "you drank the Kool Aid" or "DBT is in your bones". When your wife gets the fever too it makes for a hefty travel budget.

cfreeman

Post by cfreeman »

Let me explain. I was a huge fan as it was, but missed the Truckers prior to getting a car recently and the concert was a graduation present to myself. At damn near 23 retirement isn't exactly on the near horizon. I have been playing the FCC maximum of 4 songs by the Drive-by Truckers on my radio show every week for about 2 years now. After seeing Wilco a dozen times, this show has shown me a new way of life.
- "Watch out for Buford."

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

cfreeman wrote: I have been playing the FCC maximum of 4 songs by the Drive-by Truckers on my radio show every week for about 2 years now.

WTF? The FCC limits the number of songs you can play by one artist per week???

And jonicont is RETIRING??? I became the wrong kind of doctor...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

colodogdoc wrote:And jonicont is RETIRING??? I became the wrong kind of doctor...

:lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved