Who here has never made a Cooley DBT playlist?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oilpiers

Who here has never made a Cooley DBT playlist?

Post by oilpiers »

I swear, as much as I love DBT, the Cooley factor was always like some nuggets of goodness in a DBT listen. I put over 20 of his songs on a playlist. Just listened to it on the new Apple ear buds, and My God! How unbelievable his music stands on it's own in its variety and consistently great quality. I love Patterson, there is no one I can even compare him to. But Cooley sounds like the guy Johnny Cash wishes he was. I dare any fan here to put 20 Cooley songs up against and 20 Cash songs and rationally explain why Cash is a better artist. If you challenges this, please post the 20 Cash songs, because after 4 or 5, I am done for the day.

Clams

Re: Who here has never made a Cooley DBT playlist?

Post by Clams »

In my mind, you can't really compare them because Johnny came from a time when the music and lyrics were much simpler, and there's nothing at all simple about Cooley's music and lyrics. In fact, as I think about it, one of the things I like most about Cooley is how un-simple his music and lyrics are. And the simple nature of Cash's songs is probably a very large part of his huge populist appeal. Now when we get to their voices, as good as Cooley's is, Johnny's pretty tough to beat - I mean he is Johnny Cash after all. Okay, that's about all the deep thought I can handle on a Sunday morning.
If you don't run you rust

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

I've definitely created a running Cooley playlist over the years. I've even gone as far as creating artwork for them. Here's Volume 1:

njMark

Post by njMark »

Cooley is Cooley but Johnny Cash is JOHNNY FUCKING CASH for Christ's sake.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Pretty sure 50,000,000 people haven't even heard of Cooley...but still funny!

The Fall did a parody of that Elvis cover...but changed the number to 50,000.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Mark E Smith is a goddamn genius.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Fatah Ruark wrote:The Fall did a parody of that Elvis cover...but changed the number to 50,000.

Phil Ochs did it first.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Fatah Ruark wrote:Pretty sure 50,000,000 people haven't even heard of Cooley...but still funny!

The Fall did a parody of that Elvis cover...but changed the number to 50,000.

thats got most of the Fall tracks I want to listen to on it. I saw them play live once many years ago. Interesting night out that one.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I could make a "Best of DBT" play list solely on the basis of Cooley songs.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I think Cooley is a fantastically gifted songwriter, and absolutely love the vast majority of his recorded work. But, really comparing him to Johnny Cash? That's not fair.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

brett27295 wrote:I think Cooley is a fantastically gifted songwriter, and absolutely love the vast majority of his recorded work. But, really comparing him to Johnny Cash? That's not fair.

Not fair to who? There is a distinct similarity in vocal style in songs like Weakest Man. I try to be very open minded. I grew up in the 60's listening to Cash when my father played him, saw his TV show, have seen a few documentaries about him, etc.. But when I listen to an album of his, I just don't get it. Clearly there are some great songs. But i have noticed if you do not view him as some sort of musical God some people view it as blasphemy. I think his personality and colorful history are taken into account and add to the height of the pedestal. If someone could make a 20 song playlist of Cash, and and one of Cooley DBT songs, and actually listen to both, not just read the list, I bet some would end up skipping some songs on the Cash list, and not Cooley. I have Rhapsody. Someone post a list for me, I will make it, and see if I am wrong. I am willing to admit I could be wrong, but I need convincing.
Last edited by oilpiers on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

ariedl wrote:I've definitely created a running Cooley playlist over the years. I've even gone as far as creating artwork for them. Here's Volume 1:

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:I think his personality and colorful history are taken into account and add to the height of the pedestal.

Well, yes, of course they do.

oilpiers wrote:But i have noticed if you do not view him as some sort of musical God some people view it as blasphemy.

Well, yes, criticizing a god of any sort will be considered blasphemy by believers. You're welcome to take on any of those gods, but you also gotta expect the resulting heat. That's the fun part.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't see the harm in comparing Cooley to Cash (or Hank, Sr., Carl Perkins, etc.) but is Cooley better? Why don't we wait until he's recording covers of Hall and Oates and Charlie Rich songs with Rick Rubin in his golden years before weighing in. I'm sure he'll bring to "Little Willy" what Cash brought to "Hurt".

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't see the harm in comparing Cooley to Cash (or Hank, Sr., Carl Perkins, etc.) but is Cooley better? Why don't we wait until he's recording covers of Hall and Oates and Charlie Rich songs with Rick Rubin in his golden years before weighing in. I'm sure he'll bring to "Little Willy" what Cash brought to "Hurt".

Forget legacy or myth. Take the aforementioned "Pepsi Challenge" I stated in the first post, and based strictly on listening, see what you think.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

oilpiers wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't see the harm in comparing Cooley to Cash (or Hank, Sr., Carl Perkins, etc.) but is Cooley better? Why don't we wait until he's recording covers of Hall and Oates and Charlie Rich songs with Rick Rubin in his golden years before weighing in. I'm sure he'll bring to "Little Willy" what Cash brought to "Hurt".

Forget legacy or myth. Take the aforementioned "Pepsi Challenge" I stated in the first post, and based strictly on listening, see what you think.

I know it's something folks love to do but I'm not really into trying to prove one artist is better than another. I'm a fan of both Cooley and Cash so I'll just leave it at that. Music isn't a competition to me so I'm not going to turn it into one. If it blows your skirt up, have at it.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
oilpiers wrote:

I know it's something folks love to do but I'm not really into trying to prove one artist is better than another. I'm a fan of both Cooley and Cash so I'll just leave it at that. Music isn't a competition to me so I'm not going to turn it into one. If it blows your skirt up, have at it.

Understood. Not being huge Cash fan, I am interested in some suggestions , not necessarily from you, for a playlist that is more than a greatest hits collection. Since the original thread idea of praising Cooley was turned by my Cash comment, I am willing to own up to it. Hows about a 3 song suggestion of stuff I probably have not heard?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

oilpiers wrote:Not fair to who?

Either one. What's the point of praising one artist by putting down another? Go to a Johnny Cash message board and have them take the "Pepsi Challenge". See what kind of response you get. It's all relative lol.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.