Double Decker Festival Oxford MS 4/27

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Double Decker Festival Oxford MS 4/27

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

J. Roddy Walston & The Business, Lee Fields & The Expressions AND DBT??!! Yes please. :D

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ChicoHarris

Re: Double Decker Festival Oxford MS 4/27

Post by ChicoHarris »

And it's all free- Blue Mountain the night before, Shannon McNally, and so on. There will also be a 'rebel' stage or two put up by local bands not invited to play the festival.

One of my favorite Truckers memories is 2002 or so, when they played both nights of this weekend at Proud Larrys and enjoyed the festival during the days.
They played it the next year, I think.
Patterson and band's performance at it last year was superb. I've thought about that set since.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

The Stooges brass band better have Steve Mackay in it.

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

This will be the Trucker's first time playing DD.

I talked with Patterson last year and he said in the 30 years of him coming to Oxford it was the first time he had ever taken part in the festival.

I also looked back through the lineups from 1996 til now and they were never listed.

Super excited to have them come and play.

And, to have Blue Mountain one last time in Oxford. I am so glad I caught the Marah/Blue Mountain show at Larry's earlier this year.

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

oxfordcrowe wrote:This will be the Trucker's first time playing DD.

I talked with Patterson last year and he said in the 30 years of him coming to Oxford it was the first time he had ever taken part in the festival.

I also looked back through the lineups from 1996 til now and they were never listed.

And, to have Blue Mountain one last time in Oxford. I am so glad I caught the Marah/Blue Mountain show at Larry's earlier this year.

Maybe they were back playing at Larrys? It seems like they were back the very next year. I know they weren't back at City Grocery, doubt they will ever play there again.

I may be thinking about Los Lobos at Tipitina's during the 1987 JazzFest- they played the fest the next year.

Blue Mountain will be supercool/bittersweet on Thacker Friday night. I was planning on going to New Orleans if that was when Patti Smith is playing the fest, but will have to stay for Blue Mountain's last one- though I think they're playing the Picnic this year and I hope I can't make it to that because of Springsteen.

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

ChicoHarris wrote:
oxfordcrowe wrote:This will be the Trucker's first time playing DD.

Maybe they were back playing at Larrys? It seems like they were back the very next year. I know they weren't back at City Grocery, doubt they will ever play there again.

I may be thinking about Los Lobos at Tipitina's during the 1987 JazzFest- they played the fest the next year.

Blue Mountain will be supercool/bittersweet on Thacker Friday night. I was planning on going to New Orleans if that was when Patti Smith is playing the fest, but will have to stay for Blue Mountain's last one- though I think they're playing the Picnic this year and I hope I can't make it to that because of Springsteen.

You are correct on DBT playing Larry's in 2003 the Friday of DD. Yeah, I don't think we'll get another City Grocery show from the full band.

And also BM is playing the Hill Country Picnic in June from what I've heard/read, so Oxford folks do get one last time — just with a drive. Although, that is not a long trek by any mean and one worth taking.

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

oxfordeagle.com has lineup with videos and bio information on each band.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

15 days to go y'all

Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Wish they would hit up Hattiesburg, MS again

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

Double Decker guide

http://oxfordeagle.com/wp-content/uploa ... Decker.pdf

DBT on Pages 14-17

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

The paywall is gone?

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

ChicoHarris wrote:The paywall is gone?

The daily paper is behind a paywall. Special sections (I think there are five or six special section buttons at the top of the webpage) are loaded as PDFs and are free.

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

Cool. i noticed the old Oxford Town boxes are back out- would be really cool if there were Oxford Towns in them. That program does have a nice cover, thanks to the festival poster. Is your story about Matt in there?

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

ChicoHarris wrote:Cool. i noticed the old Oxford Town boxes are back out- would be really cool if there were Oxford Towns in them. That program does have a nice cover, thanks to the festival poster. Is your story about Matt in there?

There's a story on Matt and DBT, as well as all the other artists taking part in the festival.

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

That's great. You've been doing some very good writing about Oxford.

DrHoustonS

Post by DrHoustonS »

Cannot Wait! The Wife booked us a room on the Square last night... 40% chance of scattered T'storms tonight :shock:

Was last night Blue Mountain's last show? I heard they were "retiring."
"Too weird to live... too rare to die..."

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

DrHoustonS wrote:Cannot Wait! The Wife booked us a room on the Square last night... 40% chance of scattered T'storms tonight :shock:

They played twice last night and were GREAT, Cary rocking the Les Paul. They play tonight at Proud Larrys after the Truckers, with many special guests.

Just curious, where did you book a room on the square, especially last night? I didn't know there was a place to rent! (and if you say Shotgun Wille's...)
Last edited by ChicoHarris on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

They also play the North Mississippi Hill Country Picnic in June and that's it for Blue Mountain shows.

DrHoustonS

Post by DrHoustonS »

ChicoHarris wrote:
DrHoustonS wrote:Cannot Wait! The Wife booked us a room on the Square last night... 40% chance of scattered T'storms tonight :shock:

They played twice last night and were GREAT, Cary ricking the Les Paul. They play tonight at Proud Larrys after the Truckers, with many special guests.

Just curious, where did you book a room on the square, especially last night? I didn't know there was a place to rent! (and if you say Shotgun Wille's...)

My wife went to Ole Miss and knows Oxford well. She called the Downtown Oxford Inn last night around 7 or 8 and they had a room(s) available... $199/night is a little steep but its on the Square and we don't have to drive back home now (we live in Amory, about 70 miles from Oxford near Tupelo). Glad to hear that Blue Mountain is playing Larry's afterwards!

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

DrHoustonS wrote:
ChicoHarris wrote:

They played twice last night and were GREAT, Cary ricking the Les Paul. They play tonight at Proud Larrys after the Truckers, with many special guests.

My wife went to Ole Miss and knows Oxford well. She called the Downtown Oxford Inn last night around 7 or 8 and they had a room(s) available... $199/night is a little steep but its on the Square and we don't have to drive back home now (we live in Amory, about 70 miles from Oxford near Tupelo). Glad to hear that Blue Mountain is playing Larry's afterwards!

It's actually two blocks north of the square, but you are behind the stage the Truckers are playing on. Primo spot, I'm very surprised they still had rooms (weather might have scared some off but it's brilliant sunshine right now on the square and the damned heat is going up. Hurry! Shannon McNally and band start at 1 and Chimney Choir is about to start!

When you go to Bills in Amory, do you get yours with or without?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Great show last night in Oxford. The weather forecast kept calling for storms all day but they held off until about 15 minutes before DBT's set was supposed to end so the set was shortened a bit but it hardly mattered. Smokin' set. Best Goode's Field Road I've ever heard and Everybody Needs Love was dedicated to a friend's 14 year old daughter at her very first Rock Show. Oh and the 1, 2 punch of J Roddy Walston & The Business and Lee Fields & The Expressions just prior to DBT's set was just what the doctor ordered.

4th night of My Drinking
Gravity's gone
Drag the Lake
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Everybody Needs Love (for Abby 14 years old at her 1st Rock Show)
Get Downtown
Tornadoes
Ghost to Most
Goode's Field Road
Devil Don't Stay
Hell No I Ain't Happy

(Storm shortened set)

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: Everybody Needs Love was dedicated to a friend's 14 year old daughter at her very first Rock Show.

That's so cool. Was it Mae or Ant's daughter? Great (shortened) set!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Penny Lane wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote: Everybody Needs Love was dedicated to a friend's 14 year old daughter at her very first Rock Show.

That's so cool. Was it Mae or Ant's daughter? Great (shortened) set!

Mae's daughter.

DrHoustonS

Post by DrHoustonS »

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Congratulations to Mae's daughter! She's 14 and had something happen that has never happened to me at 34!

I think Oxford would have been a neat setting to see DBT.

I was reading an article in the Oxford Eagle previewing the concert, and it was discussing the fact that Patton lives around Oxford and is a scientist with the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality when not touring with DBT. I think this just furthers my theory regarding DBT's IQ factor! How many bands have a scientist as a bass player.

Kind of like the thread about Hood and Cooley writing a novel...I bet if it happened Faulkner would be proud!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Beaverdam wrote: How many bands have a scientist as a bass player.

Probably why his bass rig looks like it belongs in the basement of a mad professor.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

DrHoustonS

Post by DrHoustonS »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Great show last night in Oxford. The weather forecast kept calling for storms all day but they held off until about 15 minutes before DBT's set was supposed to end so the set was shortened a bit but it hardly mattered. Smokin' set. Best Goode's Field Road I've ever heard and Everybody Needs Love was dedicated to a friend's 14 year old daughter at her very first Rock Show. Oh and the 1, 2 punch of J Roddy Walston & The Business and Lee Fields & The Expressions just prior to DBT's set was just what the doctor ordered.

4th night of My Drinking
Gravity's gone
Drag the Lake
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Everybody Needs Love (for Abby 14 years old at her 1st Rock Show)
Get Downtown
Tornadoes
Ghost to Most
Goode's Field Road
Devil Don't Stay
Hell No I Ain't Happy

(Storm shortened set)

These two stood out in my mind as HEAT!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yup. Goodes Field Road blew my mind. Motherfucker was ferocious. I've had it in my head ever since.