DBT - Boulder Theater on 4/12 & 4/13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

young and in the way

Re: DBT - Boulder Theater on 4/12 & 4/13

Post by young and in the way »

colodogdoc wrote:I have a couple of friends who are looking to unload the Friday tickets they bought and go Saturday instead. If anybody still needs 2 Friday tix, let me know.

ive got an extra saturday and need a friday - will they trade one?

just moved to denver a month ago and would love to meet some fellow DBT fans - Reubens Burgers has a great happy hour until 6 w cheap food and drinks. anyone want to meet up?
im cooking some meth cause the shine aint sellin

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

young and in the way wrote:just moved to denver a month ago and would love to meet some fellow DBT fans - Reubens Burgers has a great happy hour until 6 w cheap food and drinks. anyone want to meet up?

We (Team SL,UT) will be rolling into Boulder from Salt Lake sometime Friday afternoon. Would love to meet up with some CO 3DDer's. If not Friday, then Saturday for sure.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'm always up for hanging out and having beers! Saturday will work better for me since I have to work on Friday and will have less time to hang.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

young and in the way

id be down for a saturday meet up somewhere. maybe another local can pick a better spot than reubens for a good happy hour although reubens has REALLY cheap food and beer until 6 then picks back up at 9 which is prob exactly when we want to meet. suggestions?

been listening to this all day, fantastic stuff: http://archive.org/details/dbt2005-03-31.mtx.flac16

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

young and in the way wrote:
colodogdoc wrote:I have a couple of friends who are looking to unload the Friday tickets they bought and go Saturday instead. If anybody still needs 2 Friday tix, let me know.

ive got an extra saturday and need a friday - will they trade one?

Hey Y&ItW! They sold their tix and bought Sat tix, so my friends are fixed up.

Alright team let's get excited! No work for me tomorrow means tonight is the start of the weekend! Meeting up with friends at Tahona, a great tequila bar/Mexican place on Pearl Street. Check it out:
http://tahonaboulder.com/index.html
We should be there between 6 and 6:30. I am blonde and about 5'8" but if you just find the tallest guy in the restaurant (almost guaranteed) you will find my friend Chris.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Clams

Post by Clams »

Anyone steaming these shows?

Anyone?

Please???

Pretty please!!!
If you don't run you rust

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Truckers weekend is here! My buddy and I will also be rolling in between 6 and 6:30, colodogdoc, I know that tequilla bar well. We'll try and meet up there, otherwise will keep an eye out on the floor.

Hoping Cooley brings back the electric One of These Days!

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Clams wrote:Anyone steaming these shows?

Anyone?

Please???

Pretty please!!!

PM me your cell phone number and I'll maintain an open line from my cell phone to yours throughout the entire show. Be warned, this will include trips to the bar and my personal commentary on each song.

Looks like the damn babysitter can't get here until 6, so we'll be getting to Tahona no earlier than 7 or 7:15. See you there, Gaetzi, or as you say on the floor.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Anyone?

Please???

Pretty please!!!

I don't know, Clams. I kind of hope that no one is steaming these shows.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

young and in the way

Gaetzi wrote:
Hoping Cooley brings back the electric One of These Days!

i like where your head is at.

prob wont make it down there early tonight but will be down for a meetup tomorrow. think im rollin solo tomorrow...

Toke

Post by Toke »

Anyone?

Please???

Pretty please!!!

Sorry, I don't have the setup to stream. I will post the show here in a day or two.
Does anyone know the name of the guy that came out a played Pat's guitar toward the end?

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

We were treated to another great Drive-By Truckers show at the Boulder Theater last night. What a great venue, great friends, old and new, and a great set from the Greatest Rock Band on the Planet. Sure is nice to know we get another one tonight. Pics will come later, but here's the setlist:

DBT 4.12.13 Boulder Theater - Boulder, Colorado

Lookout Mtn
Ghost to most
Heathens
Sounds better in the song
Something's gotta give pretty soon
Get downtown
Drag the lake Charlie
Devil don't stay
Tornadoes
Women without whiskey
Box of spiders
Carl Perkins Cadillac
Feb 14
Marry me
Sinkhole
Uncle Franck
Road cases
Sdz
Play it all night long
Love like this
Company I keep
Zip city

E:
Birthday boy
Girls who smoke
3dd
World of hurt
Shut up
People who died
Last edited by UTHeathen on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toke

Post by Toke »

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Last Call Paul, the guitar tech, played on PWD. I don't know his last name.

Smoking show. Seemed to take them a little time to get rolling but by Devil Don't Stay the train left the station. Patterson acknowledged that he was fighting a cold and using whiskey as medicine. He definitely laid back a few times on harmonies.

Loved hearing Sounds Better in the Song and Love Like This. Zip City was off the chain. Patterson came right at me with the mike on the first chorus of People Who Died. Loved it. Company I Keep was fantastic. Cooley has lost the post-quitting-smoking weight and looks great.

Dear Cooley, if you or someone you know is reading this it would be really, really great to hear One of These Days at tonight's show. And oh by the way, I need for you to autograph my WWW flask. Please.

Great times with old and new friends. Always great hanging with UTHeathen and his lovely Kim. Gaetzi, don't know how I missed you but will definitely look for you tonight. Brought one of my best friends from vet school for her first show and she loved it. Met a couple who came down from MN for the shows, they stalk the board but don't post.

Only bummer of the evening was waking up halfway home in Longmont to my husband saying shit, I'm getting pulled over. He had to complete the field sobriety test and a breathalyzer. He was the DD and was sober but we sat there for 45 minutes while it went down. Not fun. Longmont cop was an asshole. Spending the night in Boulder tonight so we don't have to make the drive home.

Random observation of the evening: Didn't see any Jack Daniels or Patron on stage, only a bottle of Maker's which was more than half gone when they started. Thinking maybe that's a nod to Craig, since Maker's was his drink of choice.

Gotta spend the afternoon helping my kid with a cub scout service project, then off to Boulder for another night of fun!

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Paul McHugh is the guitar tech.

I walked over to the merch booth before the set started. No fun. No Craig...and no show poster. Pretty sure that's the first DBT show I've gone to without taking home a poster. It took me a few more minutes for not having Craig there to set in. That thought was put to rest during the set. Best DBT set I've seen in some time. The World of Hurt was fantastic. Haven't seen a Tornadoes in some time either. Guess they played it in Denver a couple of years ago...but looking at the setlists from my shows it was only the second time I've seen it in the past 10 years.

See ya'll tonight!

young and in the way

I'm meeting some folks up at moes BBQ at 6 if anyone is interested. They are having live music (some of the guys from out formation I think) and they have a shuttle going to the show. I'm wearing a black lucero shirt and braves hat - come say hey.

Toke

Post by Toke »

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Thanks for recording these shows, Toke. Looking forward to reliving both amazing nights.

At one point last night the word "transcendent" came to mind, but I pushed it aside, admonishing myself that that's BtB's word. Oh well. It sure fits. While Friday night was a great night with an unbelievable set list and great performances, it seemed to take several songs to get things dialed in. Cooley's mike wasn't loud enough for the first several songs, and I found myself really missing Neff's pedal steel many times. Like there was a hole in some songs.

Last night was different.

I've decided that I miss the pedal steel, but I don't miss Neff. Without him, Cooley steps up and takes more solos, and they have had to find new ways to interpret old classics, like Panties in Your Purse, which was amazing. I never thought I'd like Sounds Better in the Song without Jason's slide, either, but hearing the jam-my funky sadness it has become TWICE, that's right, TWICE, in one weekend, has made me a believer that they can easily go on without Neff. Maybe at some point somebody plays pedal steel (Cooley? Ready to learn a new instrument?) but they are re-interpreting so many of their songs that it's like hearing many of them for the first time.

Anyways, last night was truly amazing. The sound from my vantage point was crystal clear, and it seemed like every instrument and vocal stood on its own. Jay was once again a mad-man on both keys and guitar, at one point holding the pick from the guitar in his mouth while he soloed on keys. I love that guy, I really do. What a huge talent and also a sweet human being. I am so happy for him that he has embraced this role.

New beverage on stage last night, if you're keeping score at home. Honey. Patterson was swilling it all night. That guy is a monster. I don't know how he does it, singing for 2 hours at the top of his lungs while fighting a cold. Steve McQueen. Buttholeville. Are you fucking kidding me?

We had an excellent dinner at Shine, a gluten-free restaurant in Boulder just across from the theater. I love that town, and wish I could afford to live there, but $600k for a broken-down three BR is not for me. Anyhoo, got to the theater just as the lights were going down. Brought along a veterinary radiologist that I work with and her friend who were DBT virgins. Always feel some pressure when bringing new folks to shows, but they both loved the band. My friend Sandy kept saying I can't believe they don't even stop between songs! When I told her they don't use a set list, she was blown away. New fans, +3 from me this weekend.

We worked our way over to UTHeathen and his crew (All Mormons, I found out after the show, not good ones, mind you, but Mormons none the less. Love that crew.) and eventually I found myself for a temporary period of time in the center of the front row. I rested my drink on the lip of the stage and the band broke into 3DD. Now, I have a love/hate relationship with this song. It's a rocker, and the guitar work is amazing, but dammit if they don't play it every time I see them. Would it kill you Cooley, to play Love Like This? (At some point we have to start a thread and speculate endlessly about why they never play this song.) But they cranked it up and I was like OK, let's hear it again. No sooner was Come back baby, rock-n-roll never forgets out of Cooley's mouth that I saw him coming to the very front and center of the stage for the solo. I am literally staring at his knees and his guitar. That fucking unbelievable solo, which he truly let rip last night. I had to move my drink so he would have a place to put his left foot and he proceeded to rip that whole solo right above my face. Un-fucking-believable is all I got for you. No other way to say it. Changed my life and my feelings about that song. Erase my previous post in the "most unforgettable moment from a DBT show" thread. I got it beat, bitches.

The groove of the show was just spot-on all night. I feel like they are taking more time with the endings and really jamming, and I totally dig it. Every song blew me away in some way last night, and I can't think of another show that I *enjoyed* as much as this one. Old and new friends, loving seeing my band thriving and being loved by so many. The band was so tight and so good and so damn, well, on. Like lots of shows in Athens many of us hung around after the feedback of Angels and Fuselage had died down, talking, taking pictures and finishing drinks. Saturday night's crowd was very different from Friday's - lots of singing along. It was packed out. Finally the management of the Boulder Theater suggested it might be time for us to get on outta there. We decided we would go to the Hotel Boulderado to stalk the band (my husband's idea). Ran into Cooley on the way over and basically followed him like a pack of stalkers. My husband got some pretty hilarious pictures of the event.

I went to the bathroom while we were in the bar there and when I got back everyone had an amazing story to tell me about how Cooley had walked into the bar as I left for the bathroom and one of UTHeathen's friends got him to sign my flask, "All my love, Cooley". My first response was that he was a giant liar, but he seemed so genuinely hurt when I suggested this that I ended up believing him. At brunch this morning my husband broke the news that there was no Cooley siting, no Cooley autograph, and only a fake signature scrawled onto my WWW flask. So, I continue on with my quest for a genuine Cooley-autographed flask. Which was emptied of its delicious contents last night by Mrs. UTHeathen and my vet friend's friend.

So, once again, re-entry is a bumpy ride. A fantastic weekend of music and great times with friends. Need to echo Fatah's comments about the merch table without Craig. Almost too much to take. Tell those around you how you love them.

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Wow!!! Now that is a show review. Sounds like one to remember (as if I don't put them all in that category). Too bad the "Cooley at the bar, flask signing" story was fiction. That would have been a good one.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Man, that was one for the record books! The beauty of weekends like this is that sometimes the music is just the soundtrack for the stuff of legend. This weekend in Boulder was the stuff of legend. From catching up w old friends to exploring Boulder (love that town) to meeting all the band members to being doubled over w laughter at three in the morning.. I'm not going to even try to touch what colodogdoc posted (how did I never see you?!) but as always, the Truckers were consumate profesionals and delivered both nights. While I like the tighter sound and also like that the band is playing in a smaller configuration, I'd be lying if i said I didn't miss the pedal steel. I love the pedal steel in general but that soaring, high lonesome sound was also one of the things that hooked me on the Truckers. I said something similar to Brad and he was like "All that matters is Patterson and Cooley are up on stage singing their songs" True Brad, very true....

Highlight was meeting the entire band over the course of Sat afternoon and evening. We stayed at the Boulderado Sat night so it was hard not to run into those guys. Went up and introduced myself to Brad Morgan in the afternoon and spoke w Jay and his buddy for a bit as they walked right by us (we were enjoying drinks outside on their patio) Then saw Cooley standing outside the hotel as we were making our way to the theater. I had to shake Cooley's hand. I said something stupid like "Dude, you're the second coolest guy in rock after Keith Richards!" That warranted a funny look but he was nice. Then ran into Patterson and Matt Patton after the show, they were walking into the place we were leaving. Patterson was cool but Matt was so friendly. That smile of his is 100% sincere, he couldn't thank us enough for being there and being supportive, etc. Just the nicest guy in the world. Jay was also overwhelmingly nice to us.

Great to get Sounds Better in the Song, Panties in your Purse and I finally got to hear When the Pin Hits the Shell live. Brought 3 newbies to the Sat show, all big music fans and all three left converted. One of the guys was like "how have I never seen the Truckers before? These dudes are awesome! That was 5 song in, he kept asking that same question all night.

And as everyone else has already said, my hat's off to Jay. Guy's killing it! Doing double duty and making it look effortless. I think at one point he was playing guitar and keyboard at the same time!

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Finally starting to wrap my head around this weekend. What a whirlwind. We had a ton of fun in the time we were in Boulder. I only wish it hadn't gone by so fast. The Boulder Theater was perfect. The set lists hit the spot, and friends that we met and made just added another great aspect to another epic rock and roll road trip. Colodogdoc and her husband are the best! We all had so much fun and added a few more classic stories to be told around a campfire somewhere down the line.

The band sounded great, even with Patterson being slightly under the weather. It seemed like it took them a couple of songs on friday to really dial in their rented gear and get comfortable on the Boulder Theater stage, but once they did, it sounded just fine. The crowds were great both nights with a bare minimum of asshattery on display. We met a bunch of nice people, including Bruce and Mary from Minnesota, who traveled even further for the shows than we did. Saturday before the show as we were taking our places up front, a guy tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was at the Patterson shows in Salt Lake a couple of weeks earlier. His wife tried to talk him out of saying Hi, but I'm really glad that he did. Just kind of shows the unusual connections and dedication that this band creates.

From Lookout Mountain to Angels and Fuselage, we got tons of old favorites as well as a few welcome surprises. We got heavy doses of Decoration Day with pert near the whole dern album. Highlights for me were the updated Sounds Better in the Song, When the Pin Hits the Shell, and Something's Give Pretty Soon was especially great. We also got Love Like This, World of Hurt and Panties in Your Purse, so no room for anyone to complain. As Angels and Fuselage finally burned to a smoldering ember and our rock show weekend wound down, I knew that we had seen and experienced something special. Until next time feller's.

We had a great time in Boulder and I wish that we could have explored much more. I really look forward to going back there soon. I know we didn't drink Boulder dry, but not for lack of effort. I have to say that "Mrs." UTHeathen and I certainly learned a painful lesson this weekend. Be careful what you flask for!

We rolled out of Boulder at about noon on sunday, filled to the brim with our second consecutive dose of breakfast at The Buff. The 8 hour drive home was made even more interesting by the 70 mph wind gusts and blowing snow at 7000' between Fort Collins, Colorado and Rawlins, Wyoming. Thankfully, the freeway remained open westbound on I-80, although that is not always a foregone conclusion during those kind of conditions, and we made it home around 8:30 pm, weary, but happy.

I will post a few more pics soon.

And here is the setlist for Saturday, April 13, 2013:

Fourth night of my drinking
Gravity's gone
The Buford stock
Devil don't stay
Used to be a cop
Marry me
Buttholevilleg
Panties in your purse
Tales facing up
Get downtown
Steve McQueen
Ghost to most
The living bubba
When the pin hits the she'll
My sweet Annette
Sounds better on the song
Rays automatic weapon
3dd
I'm 18
Zip city
Dead drunk and naked
Guitar man upstairs
He'll no I ain't happy

E:
Women without whiskey
Let there be rock
Shut up and get on the plane
Angels and fuselage
Last edited by UTHeathen on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

UTHeathen wrote:Image

this is a fantastic picture!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Yep, awesome shot!!

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

After a few more days to digest the weekend, I can honestly say the world is a better place w the Drive-By Truckers out there doing what they do. Rock and roll is good for the soul and my life is better w DBT shows in it. I wish I was doing it again this weekend. And EZB was totally right, as long as Patterson and Cooley are up on stage playing their songs, that's what really matters. The rest is just details.

sfbamaAAW

Post by sfbamaAAW »

Hey UTHeathen: Would like to use this pic for DBTFB cover photo. Cool? Let me know who to credit. Thnx. JPW

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Like CDD said, re-entry is a bumpy ride, but after almost a week I think I have my feet back on the ground. Thanks Toke for the recordings! They sound great. Listening to Friday night's show, my first without Neff, the absence of pedal steel is a lot more noticeable than it was at the time. Feels a little like the heart has been torn out of a couple songs. I'm sure that with time, those holes will be filled. Once again, listening to the shows just makes me appreciate it all the more. Can't wait for next time, wherever that may be.

Finally got a few more photo's posted.

You can see the rest here: http://http://thethread.net/dbt4.12.13/

and here: http://thethread.net/dbt4.13.13/

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Oh yeah, and these:

Colodogdoc, you rock!!!

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Actually, UTHeathen, YOU rock for lugging that camera up to the front row and taking incredible pictures. Thanks for capturing my rock-n-roll fantasy on film. Can you move up here so that you can document my musical journeys on film routinely?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

This one. Strange but beautiful. As if they are in to ballet or something.
UTHeathen wrote:Image
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

colodogdoc wrote:Actually, UTHeathen, YOU rock for lugging that camera up to the front row and taking incredible pictures. Thanks for capturing my rock-n-roll fantasy on film. Can you move up here so that you can document my musical journeys on film routinely?

Yep those are some really good pics. UtHeathen, you're entering Tinnitus territory here.
If you don't run you rust